As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bat-Thread: Bruce Wayne, International Hairy Chested Love God of Mystery

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man what happened to Pfiefer? Amazons Attack was horrible but his Aquaman and Catwoman runs were great.

Looks like the last comic he wrote was 5 years ago? Jeez, dude just disappeared.

It's so weird how that happens. Like, think about guys who had much-promoted comics just a few years ago, and totally dropped off the map. Adam Beechen had a big launch on Robin, with the much ballyhooed Cassandra Cain revelation. I think he does a digital comic for DC, now.

Sean McKeever's arrival on Teen Titans/exclusive contract with DC was a big deal at the time, then he went back to Marvel, did some low-selling series, and vanished.

JT Krul? Matt Sturges? Judd Winick? J. Torres? Eric Wallace? Bruce Jones? Frank Tieri? Marc Guggenheim?

Even guys like Bedard, Gray/Palmiotti, Willingham, Gates, and Nicieza, who seemed like DC's go-to-guys for a while, don't get as much work as they once did.

I know it's always been like this, but it's still strange to see how quickly things turn around. Go look through some solicitations from the past few years, and realize how many dudes are no longer working, or working much less.

Munch on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I think most of them get the same amount of work - its just not comic book work.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Well, some of those writers weren't very good or had terrible runs and got dropped as expected. Others like: krul, beechen, and guggenhiem are finding sucess in digital comics or tv.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Munch wrote: »
    Man what happened to Pfiefer? Amazons Attack was horrible but his Aquaman and Catwoman runs were great.

Looks like the last comic he wrote was 5 years ago? Jeez, dude just disappeared.

It's so weird how that happens. Like, think about guys who had much-promoted comics just a few years ago, and totally dropped off the map. Adam Beechen had a big launch on Robin, with the much ballyhooed Cassandra Cain revelation. I think he does a digital comic for DC, now.

Sean McKeever's arrival on Teen Titans/exclusive contract with DC was a big deal at the time, then he went back to Marvel, did some low-selling series, and vanished.

JT Krul? Matt Sturges? Judd Winick? J. Torres? Eric Wallace? Bruce Jones? Frank Tieri? Marc Guggenheim?

Even guys like Bedard, Gray/Palmiotti, Willingham, Gates, and Nicieza, who seemed like DC's go-to-guys for a while, don't get as much work as they once did.

I know it's always been like this, but it's still strange to see how quickly things turn around. Go look through some solicitations from the past few years, and realize how many dudes are no longer working, or working much less.

A lot of comics artists move on to Hollywood, as storyboard and concept sketching pays a whole lot more than DC or Marvel. Ditto for advertising, product design and other corporate work.

I imagine similar paths open up for writers.

Phillishere on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

Its expected when a new person becomes the Editor-In-Chief. It'll happen again when Harras moves on.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Wait, Bob Harras is EIC at DC? That's explains so much.

I don't know how I didn't know that. Maybe I did know it and simply forgot.

steam_sig.png
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Batman Inc #10 is out. I thought this was Morrison's last issue?? It seems it isn't. I dunno guys I feel like the story is kinda floundering. Not a whole lot happens although there is some great art in it. There's something incredibly -evil- about the way Talia's headquarters are portrayed.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    It's ending pretty soon. August or September I think?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    #12 was supposed to be the last issue (it was supposed to be two volumes of 12 issues each, prior to the New 52). It was extended to issue #13, though.

I liked this issue, and I don't think it's "floundering" as you say. As a story, I think Batman Inc has been great, but unfortunately it was diminished by the New 52. If that never happened and the characters weren't affected it would have been amazing.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I've found Batman Inc easier to get into post-New 52 by thinking of it as having its own continuity. I just couldn't wrap my head around how it fit into the New 52 so I decided that, events from #8 aside, it doesn't. That it's more its own thing or even mostly a pre-New 52 story still with some elements of the New 52 thrown in for the sake of the visuals (Dick going back to being Nightwing instead of Batman, for instance).

steam_sig.png
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    I've found Batman Inc easier to get into post-New 52 by thinking of it as having its own continuity. I just couldn't wrap my head around how it fit into the New 52 so I decided that, events from #8 aside, it doesn't. That it's more its own thing or even mostly a pre-New 52 story still with some elements of the New 52 thrown in for the sake of the visuals (Dick going back to being Nightwing instead of Batman, for instance).

Actually, Nightwing is the easiest to reconcile. Pre-New 52, when Bruce returned, Nightwing's first reaction was "Thank god you're alive, I missed you so much!" and his second reaction was "Thank god you're alive and I can quit being Batman. It's Nightwing time for me!" But Bruce was all "No way, I have a world wide Batman Inc to setup, and Gotham needs Batman. You keep that cowl on."

Thus, once Batman Inc was up and running and Bruce was home for good, Dick just dropped the cowl as fast as he could, as Bruce was out of excuses to keep him in it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    There's a new Batwing preview up and it''s giving off a really strong Batman Beyond vibe, to the point where I think it's detrimental.

Granted it's just four pages of the preview.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Wow, you were not kidding. It really reads like they just watched Batman Beyond and went pffft we can do that.

CYpGAPn.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It probably would have worked better if Oracle was still around.

Most things would ;)

I like Batman Beyond so this could be a good thing...

QEz1Jw1.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »

Actually, Nightwing is the easiest to reconcile. Pre-New 52, when Bruce returned, Nightwing's first reaction was "Thank god you're alive, I missed you so much!" and his second reaction was "Thank god you're alive and I can quit being Batman. It's Nightwing time for me!" But Bruce was all "No way, I have a world wide Batman Inc to setup, and Gotham needs Batman. You keep that cowl on."

Thus, once Batman Inc was up and running and Bruce was home for good, Dick just dropped the cowl as fast as he could, as Bruce was out of excuses to keep him in it.

Technically his first reaction to Bruce's return was, and I quote,
    "Guess I should have known you wouldn't just turn up during lunch tomorrow or something normal like that."

• DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Been checking into New 52 Batman. Is Azreal still in the New 52 or has he been
    Kyougu wrote: »
    There's a new Batwing preview up and it''s giving off a really strong Batman Beyond vibe, to the point where I think it's detrimental.

Granted it's just four pages of the preview.

Yeah I was reading the preview and all I could think is its the black Terry Mcginnis

The sarcasm and suit feels way too much like a batman beyond made for new 52

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Not only that but Bruce reads like Old Bruce as well. Which yeah makes sense in one level, but still.

I do remember when reading the interviews announcing the shakeup I kept thinking that the suit sounded straight out of Batman Beyond.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Darcsteel wrote: »
    Been checking into New 52 Batman. Is Azreal still in the New 52 or has he been

He shows up in Batman Inc #10.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So, I was gonna check out Injustice, cause you guys had convinced me to ignore the complaining and judge the story for myself. ( Same sorta thing that Spider-ock going thru)

So I almost did, then I noticed they are 3.99$ per digital issue, and the issues are apparently tiny? Is there some surprise art or something that makes this worth considering, or should I just go wiki the plot summary?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    They aren't 3.99 per issue, the tiny weekly issues are .99 and the collected ones are 3.99

CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2013
    They aren't 3.99 per issue, the tiny weekly issues are .99 and the collected ones are 3.99

Got link? I'm at DC site, and the 3.99 ones don't seem like collected , and I can't find the 99c ones.

edit: Honestly not snarky, cannot find them and want them and 99c I will pay, and have a 5 hr gap of sitting here bored to combine it with!

WiseManTobes on
    Well, confusing DC site and not understanding the order on the collected ones( seems to be more collected issues than actual issues? how's that work?), bought Manhattan Projects 1-10 instead.

edited April 2013

Saved link, they will be next week's blind purchase cause I'll have another of these days next week too.

edit: and duh @ me, for not going direct to comixology , that's where I went for Manhattan! DC, your site is bad and you should feel bad.

WiseManTobes on
    I'm not sure whether it still is but the first one was free for a while there...

QEz1Jw1.png
    Amigu wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether it still is but the first one was free for a while there...

Ya first issue was free for Manhattan, read up to 7 so far, damn you all too, cause like my wallet needed yet another comic on my pull list. ( My ocd is gonna end up finding hard copies as well)

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I like the new Batwing, you guys were right- very reminiscent of Batman Beyond

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    I like the new Batwing, you guys were right- very reminiscent of Batman Beyond

Is this new issue THE jumping on point or was it the last issue?

This issue is more of a jumping on point as last issue is all about wrapping up David's story.

round-robin-small-rev.jpg?w=400&h=2032

Good on him for drawing a comic but like. I don't really get it :/

QEz1Jw1.png
    There's not really a lot to get. He makes fun of miller and how the Robins tend to drop like flies.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It does kind if raise the question of how many god-damned Robins that Batman could have before the track record underscores and overshadows the premise in such a way that it becomes inescapable to view Batman having a sidekick of any kind as a horribly shitty idea. This is not something I approve of, mind you, but the long view of Being Robin is statistically terrible.

It would almost be better for Batman to set up some kind of Batman Inc internship program, where he mentors someone for a year or so and then sends them on their way. No one has to die, no one has to overstay their welcome, if it doesn't work we just write that person out of the ongoing, either going to some other city to Batman all on their own or go corporate at Waynetech as a sleeper agent or whatever. We need to have better outcomes in place to stave off the inevitable slide into tragedy.

I like the idea of interning for Batman Inc

QEz1Jw1.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Discretionary membership might be a better term. Although technically, Batman's sidekicks pretty much all started out as discretionary members.

Holy crap, Little Gotham was SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD this week. It's weird for me to read a comic with Babs and Tim and not hate them.

edited May 2013
    Man Batman and Robin just keeps DELIVERING. God it's such a good series.

Suicide Squad looks interesting too... I think I have room for one gory anti-hero book on my pull list as long as it's well written.

Amigu on
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    How does a check get retconned into an envelope of cash one issue later?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //