As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I just want to be Robocop and fight crime with excessive amounts of violence.

If you rob a convenience store, I will put you in a hospital bed for the rest of your life.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk
    "The story will be low-level. We are not going to save the world, or even save a city. We are focused on the main character and his problems, or her problems.”

This pleases us.

Same here. In Cyberpunk the only thing you should be worrying about is saving is your own ass.

And this is where Shadowrun went wrong starting around the middle/end of 3E.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk
    "The story will be low-level. We are not going to save the world, or even save a city. We are focused on the main character and his problems, or her problems.”

This pleases us.

Same here. In Cyberpunk the only thing you should be worrying about is saving is your own ass.

Glee!

I like low level stories. It's more believable than what Bethesda does where at the end no one knows what you did. Even though you just saved everyone.

• dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    Cyberpunk is about style over substance. It doesn't matter that you get revenge/paid/the job done. Did you look good while doing it?

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think Cyberpunk is more about noir-style story-telling than just simple flash over substance. The main characters frequently don't look very good at all, and mess up all over the place. They're just as likely to be effed up druggies or VR addicts as they are super-powered, cyber-solider-police-mercenaries. It's about fallible characters and human motivations amidst a backdrop of plastic and steel (and neon :D). Throw in a healthy dose of 'what does it really mean to be human' and you're there.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This is Mike "Morgan Blackhand" Pondsmith's Cyberpunk we're talking about, right? I mean, sure, Gibson stories are all about burnouts and losers succeeding despite themselves (and Molly Millions was there too!). I don't have the 2020 book handy (I never got into 3.0, which I understand does have a bit more of a "transhumanist" focus), but I'm pretty sure one of the first sidebars was literally titled "Style over Substance."

see also: the Chromebooks for 2020 and Cybergeneration (probably a much better example of "if you didn't do it with style, you didn't do it" because it's about teenage post-cyberpunks - the spoiled, jaded, and bored children of the cyberpunk revolutionaries who changed the world... by doing the corporations' dirty work)

edit: looking through the Cybergen book now, and one of the yogangs (the game term for roles, the closest Cyberpunk comes to classes) is called MallBrats. They can get you stuff from the mall. There's also BoardPunks. "There is one and only one absolute common item among BoardPunks: a board, whether it's smart, dumb, surf, hydro, aero, or skate (there are no rollerbladers in your yogang, only boarders)." And GlitterKids, who are basically reality tv stars - celebrities famous for being famous for being famous. And, since no 90s game would be complete without them, Goths. Goths have the ability to stay calm and look creepy no matter what's going on around them ("Goths never back down from a fight, facedown, or threat"). I never got a chance to play the game, but it looks like it could be a lot of fun. I wonder if there would be interest in a Cybergeneration pbp game (or possibly even Cyberpunk 2020...)? If I still have the urge when I wake up tomorrow (later today, whatever), I'll put up a post in Critical Failures.

edit, again: Don't get me wrong. I do love the Gibsonian vision of the Street as its own entity, and my cyberpunk games definitely tend to lean towards dark warehouses, plans gone wrong, and the people doing the jobs rather than the neon-and-chrome future-as-seen-from-the-80s cyberpunk that the 2020 books are chock-full of. I think what I really want is to play a cyberpunk game rather than always running them, so I can focus less on making the rest of the world and more on making myself look good. :D

dj.subversive on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Always a fan of small scale stories. I mean, I figure it'll probably get you caught up in something a bit bigger by the end (these things tend to go that way), but starting small tends to stay more grounded.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Possibly, but basically having a more or less free-form cyberpunk setting to mess around in, with various questlines etc. available, would be ideal.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This is Mike "Morgan Blackhand" Pondsmith's Cyberpunk we're talking about, right? I mean, sure, Gibson stories are all about burnouts and losers succeeding despite themselves (and Molly Millions was there too!). I don't have the 2020 book handy (I never got into 3.0, which I understand does have a bit more of a "transhumanist" focus), but I'm pretty sure one of the first sidebars was literally titled "Style over Substance."

see also: the Chromebooks for 2020 and Cybergeneration (probably a much better example of "if you didn't do it with style, you didn't do it" because it's about teenage post-cyberpunks - the spoiled, jaded, and bored children of the cyberpunk revolutionaries who changed the world... by doing the corporations' dirty work)

edit: looking through the Cybergen book now, and one of the yogangs (the game term for roles, the closest Cyberpunk comes to classes) is called MallBrats. They can get you stuff from the mall. There's also BoardPunks. "There is one and only one absolute common item among BoardPunks: a board, whether it's smart, dumb, surf, hydro, aero, or skate (there are no rollerbladers in your yogang, only boarders)." And GlitterKids, who are basically reality tv stars - celebrities famous for being famous for being famous. And, since no 90s game would be complete without them, Goths. Goths have the ability to stay calm and look creepy no matter what's going on around them ("Goths never back down from a fight, facedown, or threat"). I never got a chance to play the game, but it looks like it could be a lot of fun. I wonder if there would be interest in a Cybergeneration pbp game (or possibly even Cyberpunk 2020...)? If I still have the urge when I wake up tomorrow (later today, whatever), I'll put up a post in Critical Failures.

edit, again: Don't get me wrong. I do love the Gibsonian vision of the Street as its own entity, and my cyberpunk games definitely tend to lean towards dark warehouses, plans gone wrong, and the people doing the jobs rather than the neon-and-chrome future-as-seen-from-the-80s cyberpunk that the 2020 books are chock-full of. I think what I really want is to play a cyberpunk game rather than always running them, so I can focus less on making the rest of the world and more on making myself look good. :D

I think we're just focused a little differently--I'm basically discussing the genre in whole, literature/movies/anime included. You're specifically talking about Cyberpunk the pen n' paper RPG setting. So we're both right, yay!

Myself, I never got into Cyberpunk itself, but I did play one of Talsorian's other offerings:
    148002.jpg

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I wish I could still find that book. Can't remember where my copy went.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Unrelated to the game, but totally related to the genre: Bullet resistant clothes.

http://garrisonbespoke.com/custom-suits/bulletproof-suit/

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Does any level of cop in Cyberpunk resemble Judge Dredd? Or Robocop?

Edit:
    Unrelated to the game, but totally related to the genre: Bullet resistant clothes.

Also very cool.

Kadoken on
    Yes

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Does any level of cop in Cyberpunk resemble Judge Dredd? Or Robocop?

Edit:

Also very cool.

You probably wouldn't die, but it would still hurt like a biiiiiiitch to get shot.

Unless you get shot from a rifle. Then the bullets just go "lolwut?" as they zip right through you, unaware of the fact that you're supposed to be bulletproof.

That would hurt too, but you'd probably be too dead to care much.

Is this still a thing that's going to happen? Not a peep out of the Devs for over a year now.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Is this still a thing that's going to happen? Not a peep out of the Devs for over a year now.
    Well, they are a pretty small studio that just had to push back Witcher. I wouldn't take their silence as anything other than them dropping a concept teaser waaaaaaaay too early.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah I think Witcher 3 has ballooned into a monster that is taking more work to nail down than they expected.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

its got a small team working on core stuff on it id imagine

theres no reason anything major would happen on it until witcher 3 gets sewn up

obF2Wuw.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As a fan of cyberpunk and low-level stories I am beyond pumped for this game.

But I am also mostly ignoring it since we don't have much information.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    They are totally waiting for Witcher 3 to be done and out before they show any of Cyberpunk

Pat was recently talking about it on the Super Best Friend Cast I believe? And apparently he heard from someone who would know that like, the day Witcher 3 comes out we'll get a Cyberpunk trailer.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    When it's done.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's The Witcher 3's fault.

TL;DR: "Worry not, Cyberpunk 2077 is OK, its time will come." - Michal Platkow-Gilewski, Head of Marketing and Public Relations.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    So, necro thread time... is there any news on this at all? Has it been canned?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

Last I checked a few weeks back, there's no news. From what I remember though, someone talked to some of the CD Projekt Red devs and they were still working on it, just that most of them got pulled to work on The Witcher 3. Since The Witcher 3 is finished, I'd assume they're back working on Cyberpunk 2077

JtgVX0H.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Nope. They just announced it way waaaay too soon.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I've been "following" this game like a ravenous maniac since it was announce. I put that in quotes because its hard to follow something that has had zero information aside from "we're making this game" however long ago. That being said, if they put the same amount of effort into this as they did Witcher 3, I'll be glad to sit and wait, but I won't do it quietly. I want details god damnit!

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    They're definitely still working on it. They posted a bunch of positions for it recently.

What is this I don't even.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I wouldn't expect a lot of info any time soon. The target release date is 2077, after all, which is a while from now.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I dunno, it's looking like we're right on track for 2020.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Funny enough, there is an recent article that interview the TTRPG creator who it seems visits the studio often to talk about the project and sees its progress. It's believe to be aiming for a 2018 release date.

• kowikowi Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    They're definitely still working on it. They posted a bunch of positions for it recently.

That is a positive sign.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Having just played The Witcher III and its giant-ass expansions, I can tell you that CD Projekt Red officially does not fuck around and is probably still in the process of re-tooling from their witchering, which apparently spiraled out of control with a mind of its own. If they put everything they learned about making a giant sandbox game in W3 to use with Cyberpunk 2077, it will, #1, be awhile still before it's done, and #2 be awesome as hell.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can wait until 2020. That's only 3 years away. I'll be 30 then, but I will still be playing vidya games.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Funny enough, there is an recent article that interview the TTRPG creator who it seems visits the studio often to talk about the project and sees its progress. It's believe to be aiming for a 2018 release date.

Mike Pondsmith is a damned genius. Very glad they are involving him heavily.

EDIT: There are rumors that Pondsmith is also working on a new version of the tabletop game that will be released alongside CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077. "There will be more Cyberpunk stuff coming, yes," he says cryptically. "One thing I've learned is that I don't talk about anything before it's ready. I pioneered some genres, and people started paying attention to what I say. I don't want to help the competition."

Woot! I have been wanting an update for this game since Shadowrun 4E and now 5E doesn't evoke the same feel as the older editions (to me - I may be stuck in the 80s/90s ideas of the future).

Bigity on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yeah CDPR are pros. I've no doubt they've been hard at work on this.

Considering how massive, sprawling, and detailed Witcher 3 was I am a bit nervous about jumping in to another game of their's set in what is easily my most favorite type of setting.

I may end up declared deceased by my loved ones for being missing for months.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm willing to give CD Projekt Red all the time they need.

They have proven themselves in every single imaginable aspect with Witcher 3, and the expansions proved it wasn't a one-off thing.

jungleroomx on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im ready to punk some cybers and also cyber some punks

obF2Wuw.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Are you better at cyber than Trump's son? I hear that he is the best.

Of course by the time this game comes out, he will be an old man and probably no longer the best.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Are you better at cyber than Trump's son? I hear that he is the best.

Of course by the time this game comes out, he will be an old man and probably no longer the best.

By the time the game comes out you will probably be one of the cybernetics in the game. But hey, when you're an immortal robot it gives you all the time to play!

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I've been on a cyberpunk, gritty future kick recently, so I'm really excited to get some Cyberpunk 2077 news. I had no idea this was a long running RPG, I've been reading through some of the old sourcebooks and it sounds like a really cool setting in general. Really hope they keep all the original classes.
    Eumerin wrote: »
    I generally liked the concept of cyberpyschosis. The idea that you lose touch with other humans as you become more inhuman had a kind of romanticism to it and had interesting role playing opportunities. Unfortunately rules wise it made for a lot of weird min/maxing. This was especially true with Solos, the class most likely to be decked out in the most cybernetics. Since the Empathy stat determined your humanity, people running Solos would always try to max it out as much as possible initially so they could cram the most junk in their body before they went off the deep end. This strangely meant that the best candidate for a solo was a warm caring I-feel-your-pain type who gets weepy after romantic comedies.

Of course without some limits every Solo would end up looking like this as soon as it could be arranged.

There was an amusing article that I read once iirc in a short-lived Cyberpunk (capital 'C') periodical. It discussed how to deal (in an RP sense) with heavily chromed characters and the ever-decreasing Empathy stat. I don't remember the article, but I do remember the cartoon that accompanied it, with a hideous-looking cyborg trying to give his girlfriend a rather bad-looking handful of flowers, and saying, "But I've got +6 Seduction!" She was having none of it.

Heh.

Bringing up this topic again from the movies thread. One of the most interesting parts of the Shirow-verse like GitS and Appleseed is Cyborg technology is so ubiquitous, Bri an Deunan don't spend a SINGLE moment on the rather overdone, "beauty and beast" trope you'd expect. They're shown as a loving couple going through occasional rough patches, but none of it has to do with the fact that Bri's face looks like this.
    deunan_and_briareos_by_mermaidassassin-d5i4iu6.png

manwiththemachinegun on