As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forum Dice Roller Testing & Development Extravaganza Thread?

InfidelInfidel HereticRegistered User regular
Per suggestion of @Denada :)

@IcyLiquid added a dice roller to Geth, this thread is for testing, suggestions, questions, and bug reports.

Dice Expression Help

Geth roll 1d20

1d20 7 [1d20=7]

OrokosPA.png
Infidel on

• Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d20 -> 10 (sum:10)

Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    rolls 1d20 -> 10 (sum:10)

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Average thread.

Roll for swiss.

Sample Rolls

You can roll multiple times in one post. When Geth rolls, the result is fixed, and editing the post will not trigger the removal/addition/rerolling of any results. If no rolls have been made, and you edit in a roll, then results will be added to the post.

Geth roll 1d20+6;2d6+2
    Geth roll "1d10 1d10 1d8 1d6" for Marvel HRP
    Geth roll 4xM for Day 1 Source
    Minion roll 1d20 for alternate name

1d20+6 22 [1d20=16]
    2d6+2 7 [2d6=3, 2]
    Marvel HRP:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]
    1d8 8 [1d8=8]
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    Day 1 Source:
    4xM 17 [4xM=Gold, Green, Black, Gold]
    alternate name:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Geth roll 1d2+6 1d1-1 1d1-2

gtrmp on
  • Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d2(+6) -> 7 (sum:7)

Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    rolls 1d2(+6) -> 7 (sum:7)

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    well that's a new error message

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    You're alright, Infy. ;-)

Let me contribute by posting in a typical player turn from a game, to see what happens:

Move to H12
    Minor: Blackfire 'Port vs Legionary 1 Fort
    Geth roll 1d20+10 1d10
    Teleport to J13
    Standard: Machine Grip vs Legionary 1 Reflex
    Geth roll 1d20+9 1d10+15

• Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d20(+10) -> 23 (sum:23)

rolls 1d20(+10) -> 23 (sum:23)

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Interesting.

You'd probably want to combine those or separate into semicolons?

Geth roll 1d20+10;1d10;1d20+0;1d10+15

edit: It looks like it only takes the first roll in the post.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d20(+10) -> 15 (sum:15)

rolls 1d20(+10) -> 15 (sum:15)

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    No, you can do multiple rolls. It just needs a space, rather than a semicolon.

Geth roll 1d1+2 1d9-3

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d1(+2) -> 3 (sum:3)

rolls 1d1(+2) -> 3 (sum:3)

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Or not. It was taking multi-roll input earlier!

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    and quotes.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    hm, I'm noticing the comment body is hanging off the right side

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Yeah I have some output formatting to fix. Its on the list.

• Options
    Like so?

Geth roll "1d20+10" "1d10" "1d20+10" "1d10+15"

• Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d20(+10) -> 21 (sum:21)

rolls 1d20(+10) -> 21 (sum:21)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Or this:

Geth roll "1d20+10 1d10 1d20+10 1d10+15"

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What's the timer between rolls? And does it try to reroll if a poster edits their post?

edit: also a suggestion: can the person that initiated the call for the roll be included in the post that geth makes?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    I think maybe he means geth was previously pulling rolls from other people's quoted text?

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options

• Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d20(+10) -> 23 (sum:23), 1d10 -> 7 (sum:7), 1d20(+10) -> 22 (sum:22), 1d10(+15) -> 22 (sum:22)

rolls 1d20(+10) -> 23 (sum:23), 1d10 -> 7 (sum:7), 1d20(+10) -> 22 (sum:22), 1d10(+15) -> 22 (sum:22)

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Geth roll 20d20

• Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 10d20 -> 6,3,15,4,3,3,11,3,8,11 (sum:67)

rolls 10d20 -> 6,3,15,4,3,3,11,3,8,11 (sum:67)

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »

Testing to see if Geth will roll off quoted posts.

• Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d20(+10) -> 21 (sum:21), 1d10 -> 6 (sum:6), 1d20(+10) -> 15 (sum:15), 1d10(+15) -> 25 (sum:25)

rolls 1d20(+10) -> 21 (sum:21), 1d10 -> 6 (sum:6), 1d20(+10) -> 15 (sum:15), 1d10(+15) -> 25 (sum:25)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Editing a post that has a roll in it seems to retrigger the roll.

I went back and edited my post from 1:19 and it fired. It didn't do it the first time because I guess I was in the cooldown between rolls?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Geth roll "1d6+1d4"

Testing die + die rolls, of different sides.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d6(+1) -> 2 (sum:2)

rolls 1d6(+1) -> 2 (sum:2)

• Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d6(+1) -> 4 (sum:4)

rolls 1d6(+1) -> 4 (sum:4)

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Hrm, I don't think different die rolls added to each other comes up often, but there's a hang up.

Two minor suggestions:
    1. Have Geth report whose roll it's doing in post and/or name rolls and have those names report.
    2. Nontraditional dice rolling. i.e. Small World uses a reinforcement die that is 6 sided, with 3 blanks, a 1, a 2, and a 3.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    The rolling syntax will be getting updated, but I'm more curious about the best approach for other things.

Like how editing of posts should be handled, any feedback there? Obviously it shouldn't reroll a simple edit but what about if you replace the contents entirely?

My thought is that to keep things feasible, it would have to just ignore edits. Kinda like @Infidel type notices, if you edit them it won't change anything. Nothing done previously is invalidated, and nothing edited in is acted upon.

The dice requested would be there even if someone edited out their post so I don't think dishonesty could be easily abused. In theory though it could be, for example I could make a post saying "attack with Big Uber Daily power" and if the 1d20 attack roll and damage roll are the same I could edit in "attack with At-Will power" and woops, guess I missed! (But didn't use up my daily cause I saw the result and edited quickly.)

This is why there is a roll description available on Orokos, so that a host can use it if they wish to track the intentions of the rolls in addition to the rolls themselves. It's also how the IRC bot works, it lets you tag a description and then puts that description and the roller's name into the result so it is clear what was rolled for what. A description could potentially be added?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    A description would be nice but even just having Geth make a note that the triggering post was edited would work. Then we all glare at the offender and tell them to not do that with posts involving rolls.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Icy and I are discussing actually having the roll attached to the post instead of as a reply.

I think in your suggestion it is fine to have an edit (and in theory, abuse) but you don't want the edit to reroll right? Cause that would be problematic since the original dice would be lost and such...

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Not quite sure how you'd determine how much of an edit is a heavy one? I'd suggest that if it's an edit on a post that it already rolled for it should ignore it. But if a user edits in a roll on their post it shouldn't?

Including a description or what user that the die is being rolled for would be nice.

• Options
    That's why I think the simpler solution of "only rolls as posted" will need to be done. Simplest and probably the easiest to understand.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Icy and I are discussing actually having the roll attached to the post instead of as a reply.

I think in your suggestion it is fine to have an edit (and in theory, abuse) but you don't want the edit to reroll right? Cause that would be problematic since the original dice would be lost and such...

I think the rolls sticking around regardless is important, part of the whole reason for a system like this is we want a certain threshold of trust.

If you put the rolls in the post, which is great, you need to make sure they're not spoof-able with user accessible text formatting.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »

I think the rolls sticking around regardless is important, part of the whole reason for a system like this is we want a certain threshold of trust.

If you put the rolls in the post, which is great, you need to make sure they're not spoof-able with user accessible text formatting.

This should be very easy, but yes I agree.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    How about letting thread starters (typically the DM) view edits made to posts in their threads with rolls attached?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I just want to mention how happy I am that you guys are working on this. I've been dreaming of an in-forum roller pretty much since I started PbPing here, which was like five years ago.

This discussion has been closed.