As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twilight Imperium] Game 7

• Options
    LockeoutLockeout Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    El'Nath (blue tech, 2R, 0I) into the final spot at -3,1
    Galaxy's done.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    That wasn't nice, SeGa. I was going to invite you to join Team Space Ghost, but now I'm not so sure.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Hey, Iron Weasel, I kinda got shafted too, and now we're both boxed in together. So we can either fight it out over a relatively small area (and still face possible invasion) or else team up to expand outward without worrying about fighting on two fronts.
    What do you think?

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    stever777 wrote: »
    Ya know what's a bit weird?
    Playing Twilight Imperium & Twilight Struggle at the same time.
    Damn Space Ghost Commies!

Wanna go for a twilight trifecta?

pic1054931_md.jpg

First turn challenge:
    pic1057121_md.jpg

MrBody on
  • Options
    I'm amenable to a Non-Aggression Pact.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I don't think I had many options for most my placements, it was basically place planets next to my world, then 1 of 2 available spots far away, repeat

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I'm amenable to a Non-Aggression Pact.

Ok, no space docks in -2,-2; -1,-1; or -1,-2; it'll be our DMZ.

• Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I don't think I had many options for most my placements, it was basically place planets next to my world, then 1 of 2 available spots far away, repeat
    Well, you did render his wormhole worthless instead of placing it at -3,1, where it could've done him some good.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    MrBody wrote: »
    stever777 wrote: »
    Ya know what's a bit weird?
    Playing Twilight Imperium & Twilight Struggle at the same time.
    Damn Space Ghost Commies!

Wanna go for a twilight trifecta?

First turn challenge:
    pic1057121_md.jpg

Geth roll 1d6

Lockeout on
  • Options
    GethGeth
    rolls 1d6 -> 2 (sum:2)

Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh no, Bella missed her chance! I guess she got hit by the car, or run over?

Lockeout on
  • Options
    GethGeth

Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla

• Options
    Lockeout wrote: »
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Well, you did render his wormhole worthless instead of placing it at -3,1, where it could've done him some good.

Your right...I did didn't I.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I think a real challenge would be "Name a desert planet BESIDES a cactus."

• Options
    edited May 2013
    ERROR @Iron Weasel already placed Qucen Rarron below Mecatol Rex. Choose another system to place at 3,1

Hmmm...this might mess up all the placements that came after. We'll see what Weasel wants to do.

MrBody on
  • Options
    HMMMM we're at an impasse here. The only system Weasel hasn't played is a pretty decent planet. Simply placing that at 3,1 instead of Rarron seems simple, but I'm assuming he meant to dump a weak planet there next to an enemy and not a decent one.

On the other hand, if we go back and redo all those moves, then it's not entirely fair to everyone else who now knows what planets everyone has and their general placement strategies.

Group consensus? Compromise?

• Options
    Yea not sure what a good solution is, it's not like Stever has a great position so don't see it being terrible playing the available card there. Dont' really think we can roleback the placements.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    By the time he got to 3,1 he only had two cards left, Ion Storm and his last planet. Since he couldn't place the ion storm there because of the asteroid field he was forced to play the last planet card (he simply named the wrong one). So just stick the correct planet in that slot because nothing else would have changed and he never really had a choice in the first place.

• Options
    Ok yeah going with placing his decent system there

Resculon 2(R) 0(I), Coorneeo (red tech) 1(R) 2(I)

With the disclaimer that an important part of the game is keeping the people with a map/race/economy advantage in check.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Final Map: (taking host liberty with Sega's system name)
    usethisjpeg.jpg

GAME START!!

@Auralynx (Muaat) is speaker and chooses a strategy card first. Play then proceeds clockwise from the speaker's position (player mat) on the map.

Happy coexisting!

P.S. Last chance to change your ground forces and space dock deployments if you want a different one from the starting setup I did.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Do we get our political cards now?

• Options
    edited May 2013
    You do! Sent!

Map tip for new people: The numbers next to your reserve units are the max available. You cannot have on the board more units than there are models (exception: ground forces and fighters).

Warsuns: huge circle
    Dreadnaut: star destroyers shaped ship
    Cruiser: battlestar galactica shaped ship
    Destroyer: tiny triangle
    Carrier: Princess Leia's ship from A New Hope
    Fighter: tinier triangle with huge guns on side
    PDS: 'W' shape with 2 prongs at bottom
    Space Dock: Deep space 9 shaped thingy
    Ground force: flag

MrBody on
  • Options
    Yeah, I failed to keep track of my systems and that's the solution I would have suggested anyway.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Looking back, I probably should have tried to swap the Rigel system for Corneeq/Resculon. Oh well.

As an aside for newer players, my mistake is fairly huge; 3 resources is quite significant. I'm not saying everyone needs to dog pile the snake people, but everyone is going to have to work harder as a result of my oversight. Sorry about that!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Looking back, I probably should have tried to swap the Rigel system for Corneeq/Resculon. Oh well.

As an aside for newer players, my mistake is fairly huge; 3 resources is quite significant. I'm not saying everyone needs to dog pile the snake people, but everyone is going to have to work harder as a result of my oversight. Sorry about that!

So what you're saying is that you came up with a sneaky way to get us to do your dirty work? Nice try, nice try.

The prides feel it is important to honour our word. We shall strive to maintain peaceful, profitable relations with the slithering ones.

Tayrun on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Orders around 10 when I am situated at home again.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Tayrun wrote: »

So what you're saying is that you came up with a sneaky way to get us to do your dirty work? Nice try, nice try.

The prides feel it is important to honour our word. We shall strive to maintain peaceful, profitable relations with the slithering ones.
    That's one way of looking at it, sure.

Oh, and Auralynx: we don't need orders just yet. We have to choose Strategy Cards first,which determine order of play.

Pro Tip: Naalu always go first.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    "Orders," in this case being fighter / GF distribution.
    Load two of each on the Warsun if you didn't, I can't tell and think it can carry both. Just the fighters if not.
    I'll take Production.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited May 2013
    You don't have to "pre-load" fighters and ground forces. When ships move, they can freely pick up any passengers along the way (both in the starting system and in systems you move through). The restriction is that you can only unload them in the activated system final destination.

In other words there's really no reason to not keep them on planets if you can.

Another new player tip: keep in mind that the Production card's primary and secondary abilities are one of the only ways to produce units in a system without activating it in addition to producing units in a system that has already been activated by you. Also once a system is activated you cannot move your units out of it, so be careful first turn to move any units out of your home system before you activated it to buy stuff. Also keep in mind the starting 3 fleet supply limit: cannot have more than 3 non-fighter ships in a system until you put more command counters in fleet supply. Careful you're not already at max when you go to buy.

Speaker and strategy card picking order is also different from action order. Strategy cards are picked speaker first then going clockwise, action rounds go in highest initiative order of the strategy cards people have (Naalu always having initiative zero). If speaker position does not change via the Assembly strategy card, then it remains the same for next turn.

Game ends when someone gets at least 9 VP, or the Imperium Rex card comes up, which is mixed in randomly in the Stage II public objectives. So the game could suddenly end any time a new objective is drawn from the 7th on.

MrBody on
  • Options
    PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Stever is afk most Saturdays.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    He might be in shock finding out I just lost Twilight Struggle for us.

• Options
    Game 6 is kicking our ass guys-gotta step it up

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD @STEVER777 GET YOUR SLIMY BUTT IN HERE.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Man, miss a day; miss a lot!
    The galaxy changed!

Trade II

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    Technology

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options