As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions, Discussion, Tutorials

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Could someone explain tangents to me or link me to a reference that explains their artistic relevance? After hearing stuff from SS and in some critiques on here I realized I'm not exactly sure what is good and bad with this.

• mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Could someone explain tangents to me or link me to a reference that explains their artistic relevance? After hearing stuff from SS and in some critiques on here I realized I'm not exactly sure what is good and bad with this.

A tangent is when a line in one object appears to connect or relate to a line in another object in the image, even though they're not actually supposed to be the same line.

Imagine a person standing such that the horizontal line of their waist is in the same position as the horizontal line of the horizon. It gives the false conception (however silly) that the two lines are one and the same. Generally, such things are to be avoided unless they're an intentional design element.

Alright, that makes sense.

Thanks!

• wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    @Enc I can't stress @Mattharvest 's last sentence enough. Like all elements and principles of design, one can intentionally break or stretch rules to make for some effective visual communication. Tangents, when done right, offer extreme pressure and suspense to a composition, so once you fully understand their consequences they can be quite fun to explore!

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    @Enc

Matt and Wahay are correct. I'd also like to add that tangents can be bad when they create unnecessary focal points or make layering ambiguous, as seen below.

dialogueballoons.jpg

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    A great thing on tangents.

Guys I'm feeling crazy/senile. When I used to batch actions in PS I feel like it was effortless or default for PS to open and close them, one at a time, one after the other; now it is opening all of them at once before proceeding to the next step in the action? This is bad, since I need to apply this action to 170-some biggish files. Am I crazy? What am I missing?

header_image_sm.jpg
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Guys I'm feeling crazy/senile. When I used to batch actions in PS I feel like it was effortless or default for PS to open and close them, one at a time, one after the other; now it is opening all of them at once before proceeding to the next step in the action? This is bad, since I need to apply this action to 170-some biggish files. Am I crazy? What am I missing?

Are you doing File > Automate > Batch?

Yeah.

I've actually done what I needed to do with a perfect script I happened to find but I'm still curious what sort of brainfart/version difference/whatever is going on that I couldn't get it to work how I used to.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any tips for inking tools?

I'd like to experiment some. Something that works well with markers.

ftOqU21.png
    Squids.

For markers? Have you tried the fine tipped sharpies?

Enc wrote: »
    For markers? Have you tried the fine tipped sharpies?

I've got a bunch of shin han Touch markers. I bought a brush CG9 one today and I love it.

but it's a bit imprecise. I meant something that doesn't get fucked up by being drawn on with markers afterwards, if there are things where that happen.

ftOqU21.png
    Also marker lines blur when you do marker over it

ftOqU21.png
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I did a quick intro into ink and brush. Not super art related and not really mind blowing advice. Just some stuff to note if you are messing around with inks:

0vFVJK3.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    Hey guys! I found this amazing Style Guide for Disney's Mulan on tumblr! It's really awesome and has a lot of wicked info about general composition and stuff in it. Very pretty stuff. You should all look at it!

http://chrisoatley.com/pdf/Mulan_Style_Guide.pdf

I did a quick intro into ink and brush. Not super art related and not really mind blowing advice. Just some stuff to note if you are messing around with inks:

0vFVJK3.jpg

awesome! Thanks.

Fuck it I'm gonna run out and buy ink and brushes right now.

ftOqU21.png
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    dude, be sure to try dip pens too. They're like 8 bucks locally for a few nibs and holders. Maybe you'll like them, maybe you wont, but it's just 8 dollars

edited April 2013
    How can I get more subtly from ink? What can I do to learn about how to use different marks, when and why? Like, how the hell do you do this

overheadfight.jpg

My still life took me like 10 hours. Doing this without a photo reference would take a literal eternity.

or look at these

http://www.creativebloq.com/illustration/examples-ink-drawings-1131705

damn

ninjai on
    Quick question about blocking shadow shapes. Are you only drawing the core shadow shape or do you include the shape of the mid tones also??

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    ninjai wrote: »
    How can I get more subtly from ink? What can I do to learn about how to use different marks, when and why? Like, how the hell do you do this

overheadfight.jpg

My still life took me like 10 hours. Doing this without a photo reference would take a literal eternity.

or look at these

http://www.creativebloq.com/illustration/examples-ink-drawings-1131705

damn

I have found this book to be pretty awesome.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Technical-Pen-Gary-Simmons/dp/0823052273/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1367807895&sr=8-6&keywords=technical+pen

I ref it a lot when making this.
    OldmanPRINT.jpg

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    So, um, do any of the forum tutorials linked in the OP still work? I was real sad when they all reported Not Found.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    edited May 2013

So that's all done with technical pens, not dip or brush?

ninjai on
    also where the hell do you get the bargue plates? I keep finding other peoples copy's online. where do I get the originals?

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular

So that's all done with technical pens, not dip or brush?

Yeah. I did that with a rapidograph set which was stolen. Now I just use micron pens. It's less of a hassle. No cleaning.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    also where the hell do you get the bargue plates? I keep finding other peoples copy's online. where do I get the originals?

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Bargue-Jean-Léon-Gérôme-Ackerman/dp/2867702038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367893813&sr=8-1&keywords=bargue+drawing+manual

Thanks guys

• Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    Can someone help me with something? I made some images that are 8.5 x 11 that I want to blow up for printing. If I scan something at 600 dpi how much can I enlarge it without worry about distortion if I'm bringing it down to 300 dpi? It seems like I should be able to double the size but I can't really tell.

edited May 2013
    If you scan an 8.5x11" image at 600 you can enlarge it to 17x22 at 300 and it will be a pretty faithful, sharp reproduction but remember that it's going to be a pretty faithful, sharp reproduction of something small blown up; depending on the medium of the original this means bleeding ink, wibbly lines, brushstrokes, whatever, are going to be a lot more visible and any mistakes exacerbated. I almost always prefer to work the other way -- bigger, then ensmallened.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    This is an important question!

What's the best/easiest way to collect payment from a client who is 1600+ miles away from my current location? Also, what is the best way to protect my artwork until a successful transfer of funds has been made?

• bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Watermarking, small resolutions, and Paypal.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Sounds reasonable, thank you very much!

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Ideally, especially when dealing with a client for the first time, you want to ask for the money up front. It helps when you have a bit of a reputation for delivering the goods but if someone isn't willing to at least give you half up front, you probably don't want to deal with them in the first place.

Barring that, as bebarce said, never send proofs that are more than say, 600 x 800 dpi. Something that's fine to look at on a monitor but will look crappy if they try to do anything else with it. I have used watermarking a couple of times when sending someone a sample but generally haven't felt the need.

PayPal definitely speeds up the payment process over waiting for someone to send a check. It kind of sucks that they take their cut though so you might want to adjust your price accordingly.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    how do i cook mushrooms?

can I cut them up, throw them in sauce, and heat that shit up??

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Switched out a few links in the OP, mostly the dead itchstudios one, which is now:
    http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

If anyone has noticed some other dead ones, I'll try to track them down.

@Angel_of_bacon your speed painting tut is gone. .......Are you making a new one? cause that'd be cool.

how do i cook mushrooms?

can I cut them up, throw them in sauce, and heat that shit up??

@earthwormadam

I usually sautee them on low heat in a little olive oil and then toss in a little balsamic vinegar and basil near the end. If you have shallots or onions caramelizing already, its a good call to toss in your mushooms about 2-3 minutes before your onions finish as they will absorb all that tasty flavor. They will absorb up anything you cook them in, so you don't want to use too much olive oil. Also, they shrink the longer you cook them, so expect about half the volume of what you have uncooked post cooking.

If you take your onions and mushrooms, after cooking them and tossing a bit of balsalmic on top, then put that mixture on a flatbread and top with some crumbled gorgonzola and bake for a few minutes you have something that is truly amazing.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    thankz Enc

prob be awhile till i reach that level of culinary skill, but helpful info none the less

I wish we had an artists corner-esque forum for cooking. I would be able to give AoB level suggestions in that field.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There's a food thread in SE, it's pretty fun.

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    Question for anyone who has an intuos 5, and has or has used a 4: is it worth switching over? I'd like to go wireless with the 5, and my pen nibs wear out super quickly on the 4, so I'm kinda tempted.

Is this problem less of an issue with the intuos 5, or do the nibs vanish like spring snow just the same?

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    In all honesty, what do you guys do when you're frustrated as hell at your progress? I feel like I've pissed in the wind for the last five months - can't render a proper sphere, can't construct a proper face, can't etc etc down the laundry list of frustrations. I gotta get over this, but its starting to really eat at me just how horrifically bad I am.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora