As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Comic Book Day l00t

AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
Hey guys I know I'm a little ahead of the game but it comes with living in Sydney. Free Comic Book Day was sick. I went to two stores. The first store Kinokuniya is more focused on manga and trades but it had a store wide 20% off all trades and the line to get a free comic was within the store rather than having to line up just to get in which was rad. They also had a bunch of Cosplay and local artists that I now really regret not sticking around for! We skipped Kings Comics because it had a huge line to even just get access to the store but they had (I think) 30% off trades and 50% (!!!) of single issues. Comic Kingdom was cool too because they were clearing out a bunch of back issues from the 90s and also had a bunch of one dollar comics so I picked up a Man Thing (because he's metal) and an Onslaught issue from (because it featured Gravity and I have a soft spot for him!). Here's a photo of all of my swag. Some of it purchased some of it free. I also bought the first Saga trade but have already given it away in the spirit of the day ;)

zt63ia.jpg

Let's see what you guys got...

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
QEz1Jw1.png

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    No stores near me anymore. Does Comixology usually get most of the free stuff

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I've seen a few up from earlier years so I'd say yes but it's just nice to go out and see the dress ups/events, get unexpected freebies and sweet discounts!

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I actually managed to go to two different stores. I've been buying various forms of comics for years, but this was the first time I'd ever ever really been to a "real" comic book store.

Comic book stores are awesome. I should have done this ages ago.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    The nearest comic book store had a half-off sale on basically everything, so I bought Hawkeye #9 and most of Morrison's Action Comics run.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    dang, my local store didn't have anything on sale. I picked up the Skrull Kill Krew trade they had anyway, just so I wouldn't feel like a freeloader.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Got the 3rd volume of G-Man and volume 4 of Spotlight Sgt. Rock for 20% off, in addition to the free stuff.

Judge Dredd, Atomic Robo, Avatar, The Tick, and the Avengers. Not a bad haul!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    via the facebook:

"this free comic book day i bought so many shirts

a the creeper shirt
    a tacky as heck bright green and pink green lantern shirt
    a plastic man shirt
    a godzilla shirt
    a tom jane punisher shirt
    a jamie madrox shirt

and also punisher and doctor doom beer tumblers, an erik larsen autographed comic for 50 cents, and a trade of a thing called The Night Driver which looks like a late 70's action movie in comic book form.

also i got a free ghostbusters comic which was just the worst"

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got
    The star wars comic, the archie 100 page book, atomic robo, valiant 2013 and the reprint from the 90s, the mass effect comic
    Also
    I flirted with a girl and got her number so I feel I got something better than free comics

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i want a tom jane punisher shirt

• Options
    actually looking at it on google it was sort of dumb looking

i do want a good punisher shirt thought

• Options
    i love the tom jane punisher so much that i forgive how tacky the shirt is

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    i love the tom jane punisher so much that i forgive how tacky the shirt is

was watching the russian fight scene again this week

that movie is so goddamn good

• Options
    you need to see the director's cut

the best friend subplot is so good

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    i was hesitant for FCBD
    it was my first, and it was a madhouse
    i went back a little bit later when it wasn't so busy
    got some free comics (infinity, tick, TMNT, atomic robo, and judge dredd)

i haven't read TMNT or atomic robo yet. infinity was okay, tick has me contemplating subbing (i was a huge tick fan back in the day). dredd was just not good, the writing was so flat and boring.

i picked up the first(and only?) bendis moon knight trade while i was there to show some respect. mostly due to the good things i've read here about it.

• Options
    The only thing I found odd and very disapointing is what lead me to talk to her was there was no DC or Marvel FCBD comic
    The conversation got derailed really quick

• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    marvel had infinity and i remember seeing a superman book.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I picked up The Tick, Absolution, Atomic Robo, the IDW Dredd, 2000AD, Infinity and the Superman thing. what's up with Superman? why is Richard Donner involved? Why didn't they do a Man of Steel thing with Goyer?

My LCS' sale was $1 for anything in the back issue bin, and 25 cents for anything in the back back issue bins, presumably so-named because they're usually in the back of a warehouse somewhere. I made out like a bandit.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    The only thing I found odd and very disapointing is what lead me to talk to her was there was no DC or Marvel FCBD comic
    The conversation got derailed really quick

Marvel had two FCBD books, a preview for their upcoming cartoons, Hulk: Agents of SMASH and Avengers Assemble, and a book that had a ten page story serving as a prologue for the Infinity event this August, along with a reprint of an old Thanos story where Drax tries to stop Thanos from stomping on a flower (I am not kidding), and also some preview pages from the Warren Ellis Avengers OGN that had been released online a while ago.

• Options
    They did not have either of those or the DC ones

I only went one place

The back of the mass effect comic has a preview I saw before for the world ran by vampires and word for word and scene for scene for one of the movies comming out soon

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I have like 2-3 versions of that Drax comic now, I swear. :D

• Options
    My dad is a film critic and his mate gave me this rad Punisher shirt that was given to all of the people who went to the prerelease screening. It was just the
    glithert wrote: »
    What's up with Superman? why is Richard Donner involved?

From my understanding it's the first issue of an older story line that draws on the movies. Richard Donner is involved because he wrote said movies (I think). Maybe they thought it would be a good idea to show a Superman written by fans of "For All Seasons" and "Allstar" because it has that nice vibe. They probably also thought that it would be a good idea to have a comic that is tied into the cinematic legacy due to the upcoming movie. I thought it was a pretty good choice. It's gotten me interested in the rest of that arc.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I got to hit 2 comic book store and a toy shop/comic store around me. Between me, my wife and my kid we got about 40 free book. One store had some first issues for free so I picked up Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman Inc., and Wolverine #1. I bought a few trades I've been waiting on and my wife fill out her collection of Grim Fairy Tales.

The coolest thing was the first store we went to was giving away Heroclix figures in stead of a comic. I got the Iron Man 3 FCBD one and a Super-Nova. First time in years that I was able to get something other then a book.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I got
    The star wars comic, the archie 100 page book, atomic robo, valiant 2013 and the reprint from the 90s, the mass effect comic
    Also
    I flirted with a girl and got her number so I feel I got something better than free comics

Oooh. Where'd you end up going, and was it one of these girls?
    Fucking Nathan Edmondson looking like Ryan Gosling ...

• Options
    Man I wish I had a cool comic shop in my area like you guys have.

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    My store are not really all that cool. My daughter did get her face painted at one place and got to make a light saber at another, but they did run out of capes to make when were got there. So that wasn't cool.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    The Mass Effect comic was pretty cool, though the art seemed a little...wonky on the human faces.

The Buck Rodgers reprint is neat. A lot was gone by the time I got there so I didn't get the of the Marvel/DC books.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    We have four comic shops around here, apparently. The one I went to had people in costume, pizza, and music, and all the comics were half off. So I paid $4.50 to catch up with Young Avengers

• Options
    Yeah, I have no idea what the stores are actually like here in Salem. I think there are 3 or 4 in town. And then there's Portland, but there was a con the week before.

Albuquerque (where I used to live) had like 8 stores last I recall. So they actually have to distinguish themselves (Well, the ones that try, that is. Noble's two locations don't).

• Options
    Indeed there was on this side of town both Hastings and the Kaboom
    I went to both
    It was just odd to meet a girl that was not creeped out while at something I do

• Options
    Lack of women interested in comics never seemed to be a problem. I just have no social skills and rarely talked to people about comics in person.

• Options
    I have social skills but I look like I will tear your arms off for a laugh

• Options
    Looks like Brainleech's main l00t was a phone number.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What kind of an area code is 9-1-1, anyway?

Legba on