As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Receiver] A cyberpunk Roguelike-like FPS

2»

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    They didn't implement the arms because they would obscure the mechanics of the gun. Not to mention that they'd be incredibly complicated to animate considering all the various combinations of interactions involved. It gets talked about in the last video up in the OP.

As far as the gameplay goes, I've been thinking that if there was some kind of limited use or even single use device/mechanic in the game to allow you to distract or disable the Bots temporarily it'd make for some more interesting and dynamic gameplay. Bonus if you have to scavenge the parts from killed bots to make it yourself. This could add to the gameplay mechanics in the subsystem damage modeling too. If you blast a part to you could use to make the device then welp.

Still I generally enjoy the base gameplay a lot. It reminds me a good bit of the original Rainbow Six in the execution stage. The terrorists were pretty damn deadly in that game too, and you didn't get much of a window to act once they noticed you. But more to do wouldn't be a bad idea either. One of the better suggestions I read for this on the Wolfire forums noted that it'd be cool if additional mechanics and such could be made optional.

Yeah, I think I need to make an account over on their forums. Or maybe just drop into their IRC channel and unload our ideas on them.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It's very early in the morning and I'm half asleep. So, where are your arms?
    Sometimes a video game abstracts from the real world. For example, although in real life you can feel what's under your arms, in a video game, having arms and hands would just obscure your vision of the gun, which would fuck this game right up.

• Options
    BebopSamuraiBebopSamurai Registered User regular
    So I picked this up, but no matter which of the preset settings I try, it barely runs on my PC. Like, it's basically in slideshow mode. And mine's no powerhouse, but it's fairly new and I haven't had any trouble running stuff like Old Republic or Deus Ex or anything like that.

Is there a way to manually change the settings, or are the presets the only options? I tried to look at sys reqs before I bought it but there weren't any so I had to go in blind.

Gamertag: DrinksYurMlkshk
    PSN ID: suzukaGongen
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    That's the lack of optimization at work. Don't worry, once Occlusion Culling and background loading of new areas gets worked on there will be a marked improvement across the board for everyone.

Drake on
  • Options
    dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    Hey, there is a thread for this game. Sorry for pulling it back from the realms of the dead, but damn. I just got this game and I am hooked. I need the help menu a lot of the time, turrets get me pretty much every time they spot me, I'm about 50/50 with the flyers, and most of my on-target shots have been against motionless and defenseless light bulbs, but I love the concept. I didn't like the revolver at first, but it's starting to grow on me. Ditto with the Glock. I burn up ammo if I forget to switch to semi-auto, though.

This is one of those games I never knew I wanted, but I'm kind of a gaming masochist. :)

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Yeah, I accidentally made my own Receiver thread a few days ago because I didn't realize this one existed. Ah well. Lemme say that I adore this game for all its rough brilliance; it's easy to get frustrated when you wind up losing so many times due to out-of-the-blue attacks (friggin' shock drones) but the mechanics make it oddly addicting and compelling. I just hope the team gets around to optimizing the engine so it keeps a steady framerate.

• Options
    dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    ooh, those drones. I've had a couple of runs where a drone gets me pretty much right away. Like, I don't even have time to check my clip. Just spawn, BZZZZAP!, fall over dead. Annoying, but not really a big deal since you just start a new randomly-generated level right away.