As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Enrichment] Hands and Feet

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
edited February 2015 in Art Assignments and Resources
Hands and Feet
>>Enrichment Directory<<
tumblr_lskaw25i2i1qhd9ioo1_500.jpg

In the journey of learning human anatomy, the hand is one of the hardest tasks you will take on. Accurate hands in a drawing have a power to convey emotion and narrative. Their complexity can be frightening, and new artist often ignore or hide them, in an effort to not broadcast a lack of understanding of them.

In this enrichment, the goal is to slow down and focus on the hand. You can take the detailed anatomical approach and do intense study, or begin to learn how to simplify those forms into expressive, stylized illustrations. Try new poses and complex gestures rather than your standard turkey hand. Disembody the hands at first, and then challenge yourself to actually place them on a figure. All of this is to get flipper hands, ambiguous poses, and hidden limbs out of your work. Push your self to work through those frustrations.

You may choose to work on some, or all of the following:
Master Copies: Study hands in master paintings and work to figure out why they are successful
Draw from life: You have your own hand, you have no excuse, set up a mirror for extra challenges
Study simplification and gesture: not flipper hands, but genuine attempts at cartooning are acceptable, just make sure you are pushing yourself
Take reference photos If you'd like to participate by taking some quality pics of your hands (or someone elses) go for it. Links to photos and sources are also fine.

Oh, feet are acceptable too because why not!

Look, a tumblr I made just for you guys, just for this! >>>> http://justhandreference.tumblr.com/ <<<<
You are so special!

And some inspiration for you:
tumblr_maucjsVIU21qbd410o1_1280.png
tumblr_m1gnz74znz1qdbhwwo7_400.jpg
PINOCCHIO_HANDPOSES_02.jpg
http://characterdesignnotes.blogspot.com/2010/09/hand-reference-part-two.html

You can spend 20 minutes 20 hours on this, either way, try to focus on figuring out something new!

Iruka on

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'd recognize Marlo Meekins' hand doodles anywhere.

I'm gonna try and get in on this one because feet make me want to do terrible, terrible things.

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    There's an app for the iPhone which i found i believe through PA (or maybe conceptart.org) called "Handy" Its a super cheap DL and you can rig the lighting and view the hand from any angle through a varity of poses. I think it's worth checking out. (I think it was like $1.99)

PS i'm in no way affiliated with the app. I just think it's really awesome.

edited May 2013
    Found this photo of some 3d hand/arms. Got some cool foreshortening and nice details. Used it for a reference.
    hand-1.jpg

8696686275_88ac81bf92_z.jpg

8697863936_e419e49337_z.jpg

Juggernut on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I'll be giving this a spin. I need something to distract me from sulking over a recent break-up haha

• akanekunakanekun Registered User regular
    http://senshistock.deviantart.com/journal/The-50-Foot-50-Hand-Challenge-CLOSED-348833708

Had that as an open tab. Of course I'm pretty rubbish about actually doing the exercises, but it's another source of ref for those working on this month's challenge.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    just what the doctor ordered. Awesome :D

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hand, foot churned out. Don't mind the bonus dead woman (not really).
    tumblr_mjghpmRf7D1s6isyvo1_1280.png

m3nace on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Haha, this is perfect. I'm working on anatomy this month already. Doing hands and feet as warmups would be great.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    There's an app for the iPhone which i found i believe through PA (or maybe conceptart.org) called "Handy" Its a super cheap DL and you can rig the lighting and view the hand from any angle through a varity of poses. I think it's worth checking out. (I think it was like $1.99)

PS i'm in no way affiliated with the app. I just think it's really awesome.

Thank you for this wonderful tip!

• SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Didn't someone on this forum make that app?

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I think so.

edited May 2013
    asdf_zpsa1f38b85.jpg

some sign?

ninjai on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    hands.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    @ChicoBlue: So nice! Are those from photo reference or is it your hand? The color one is really great, the wrinkles in the skin are well observed.

@ninjai: post one or two of those bigger, they are hard to crit at such a small size.

Iruka on
    They're from photo reference. The top two are from the Senshi stock pack that akanekun linked to.

edited May 2013
    Iruka wrote: »
    @ninjai: post one or two of those bigger, they are hard to crit at such a small size.

I tried to pick the ones with the most mistakes These are ball point, done pretty small.
    WP_000310_zps2f1be236.jpg
    WP_000312_zps1da38416.jpg
    WP_000313_zps6ed1f282.jpg
    WP_000314_zpsdd0f42b7.jpg
    WP_000315_zps11093837.jpg

ninjai on
  • jwaddjwadd Registered User regular
    i encountered this chart on reddit recently and its helpful if you're wondering why your own feet look different than the feet in reference books
    which-foot-type-are-you-egyptian-roman-greek.jpg

Feets.jpg

Some feets from Senshistock reference.

I never thought I'd say this: but those are some beautiful feet.

• JudasJudas Registered User regular
    jwadd wrote: »
    i encountered this chart on reddit recently and its helpful if you're wondering why your own feet look different than the feet in reference books

Those Celtic and Germanic feet are mildly terrifying.

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    @chicoblue are those photoshop?

null_zps5bce4b2c.jpg

• beckerskullsbeckerskulls Registered User regular

Such an awesome challenge idea! Arms and legs in my drawings too often trail off into nothing because I haven't taken the time to figure out the extremities... feeling totally inspired now to change that.

hands1.jpghands2.jpg
    hands3.jpg

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I needed to do this, but I did it in Illustrator because I need to work on my digital side more. Tried a bunch of variations and a few different styles. Let me know if there is a particular strong or weak one to work on. I am not wild about the blocky one but included it because I knew it was bad and not sure how to correctly pull off that look.

e2ec9cc7a3c8cad59e4488ada51084ad_500.jpg

brokecracker on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Way cool broke.

m3nace on
    My hands-down favorites are hairy hands, brokecracker. Middle one is also super-interesting. I think the only thing that bothers me about blocky hand is the chunky line separating the palm from the wrist.

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Thanks all! I totally agree about that blocky hand wrist line, I couldn't pin down why it looked so... disconnected. Thanks! I think I am gonna try another shot at the super blocky feel and see how it turns out.

Edit: I tried another shot at it:

tumblr_mmhgrhAKV01rqnao4o1_500.jpg

brokecracker on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    I have fat feet...
    foot1_zpsb127d17d.jpg

@brokecracker: Nice!

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Haven't had/made time to draw in too long, so I did a couple sketches while making my Mother's Day phone call (early).

tumblr_mmnwuaip1x1s9cildo1_1280.jpg

In below pic, big toe is flexed so the toenail is almost edge-on
    tumblr_mmnwuaip1x1s9cildo2_500.jpg

I didn't realize how much thinking I do while drawing until I tried to talk and do it at the same time. I learned a good lesson about waffling between sketching lines and sketching values, I should have picked one or the other and gone for it. I should have more free time after next week, and be able to put in some good effort.

edited May 2013
    WP_000353_zpsea2308bc.jpg

Cross post here for make benefit glorious enrichment thread

ninjai on
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
  • franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    that looks awesome ST, for ref, kick your shoes off!

• sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    The answer was in front of me the whole time!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    finally grabbed a few minutes to do some sketches

bFD83pa.jpg

RM1Kp6z.jpg

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I fell apart at the thumb, but I am ok with the fingers. I was surprised when I finished to find my hand asleep, haha.

5rKkes7.jpg

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I should really be working on this more.
    Firman drew really cool hands when I saw him in April and I tried to copy him like the unoriginal turd I am and mostly failed (the cute stumpy fingers kind)

EDIT: Also, my thumbs are really stumpy, you may have heard of "toe thumbs" and I used my own hands for a lot of reference and I forget how to draw "normal" thumbs. Which is a terrible excuse for bad art.

handfeetpractice.jpg

melting_doll on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Club hand in the bottom center is super adrbl.

it's quite Qrrbrbirlbel