As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mobile gaming at PAX Prime 2013 - "Random PAX of Kindness" Ingress Event, Added

edgeofbladeedgeofblade WarlockHouston, TXRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in PAX West
I'm making a list of recommended games for iOS and Android gaming at PAX. One will be fairly obvious, especially after the PAX East Omegathon finale. If you want to suggest games, make a note and I'll check on these periodically to add.

I'm hoping to get more games like Spaceteam, games with depth that can bring people together anywhere at PAX, so forgive me if I curate the OP list a little bit toward games with more depth and away from single-player battery-burners. Feel free to suggest and find those scattered in the rest of the thread though. There are indeed some great ones.

AND as a reminder... as far as self-promotion of your own game goes, don't. The eyes of mods'es are upon you.

@SmallLady posted a thread for useful "uitility" apps top pick up before the show. Make sure to check that out, too.

Both:
* Spaceteam - Co-operative Multiplayer Party Game - iOS:FREE/Android:FREE (As seen at PAX East)
* Artemis Starship Bridge Simulator - Multiplayer Trek-Style Starship Sim - iOS: $2.99 ; Android: $2.99 ; PC: $40 (multi-licence, ONLY for PC)
* Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 iOS/Android - $Various
* Catan - Android:$3.99/iOS:$4.99
* Carcassone - Android: $4.99/iOS:$10.49
* Elder Sign: Omens - Adaptation of the Lovecraftian/Cthulhu Co-Op Dice Game - iOS:$6.99 ; Android:$3.99
* Frozen Synapse - Tactical Turn-Based Strategy For Genius People - iOS: $6.99/Android:$6.99

iOS:
* Zombie Dice - 2-8 Player Hotseat Press Your Luck Dice Game - $0.99 for in-app unlock. Demo against CPU only for free.
* Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy - Official Digital Version of the 4X Boardgame w/local multiplayer - $6.99
* PWN: Combat Hacking - Dueling Strategic Network Hacking - $1.99
* SpellTower - Competitive Boggle Word Finding - $1.99
* Heads Up! - Multiplayer Party Charades-Style Game - $0.99

Android:
* Ingress - Augmented Reality Hacking Game - Invite Only
---- "Random PAX of Kindness" event

Single Player Highlights:
* Plague, Inc. - Single Player Infect All-Humans Strategy - $0.99

6YJGH2V.png
edgeofblade on

• lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    Spelltower just got ported to Android, so it's on both OSes now. It's awesome for word game people, though last time I tried multiplayer it was still super hard to even just get two devices connected. Also, Ascension (deckbuilding card game) is great and cheap on iOS, though I doubt the Android port would be out in time for Prime.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    Jetpack Joyride: Simple time waster, awesome for lines.

Plague, Inc: pandemic, but as the disease(s).

Hill Climber: another time waster, but pretty damned fun. Race on tracks for distance, and upgrade vehicles and unlock new tracks.

I have all of these on android, no clue about their availability for iOS.

zerzhul on
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've been toying around with Ingress, which is an augmented reality game based around capturing portals. I'm not sure if there are any portals near the WSCC, but I'm sure there are (they tend to locate them in popular areas), and I'm sure they'll be hotly contested all weekend. That one's Android only and in invite-only beta, I believe.

Other than that, most of what I play are the mobile standards (Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, etc) and emulators (I have an iControlPad for those; it's pretty nifty)

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Spelltower just got ported to Android, so it's on both OSes now. It's awesome for word game people, though last time I tried multiplayer it was still super hard to even just get two devices connected. Also, Ascension (deckbuilding card game) is great and cheap on iOS, though I doubt the Android port would be out in time for Prime.

Is that "Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer"?

Because I doubt it's the "Ascension Cards HD" app, which is talking about teaching you to reopen the five fifth-dimensional chakras that closed when Atlantis fell...

For Spelltower, I had trouble getting the connection the first time, too. But great one for those so inclined.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    Rayman Jungle Run is probably my #1. It can keep you going for hours but there's no real time commitment. Probably the best game I've played on my phone though I'm already a big Rayman Origins fan.
    Plants vs Zombies is never not fun.
    I enjoy some ChuChu Rocket for my occasional Dreamcast nostalgia.
    Also been getting a kick out of Icomania recently.

As far as I know these are all available on both platforms. Prices vary on both.

For iPhone, Alien Hominid PDA Games and Super Soviet Missile Mastar from the Behemoth are great fun as much as I hate a virtual joystick.

Honestly I haven't tried many multiplayer phone games.

Great suggestions so far. I'm hoping to get more games like Spaceteam that can bring people together, so forgive me if I curate this list a little bit. Everyone has their time-wasters, and I know I'm going to curse zerzhul for introducing me to Plague, Inc. But if we have a bunch of people running around downtown Seattle hacking Ingress portals, that will be just nuts.

For my contributions, PWN: Combat Hacking on iOS really is my addiction right now. I'm hoping the PAX community will embrace this one since it's super deep and great for dueling. It's a game of network domination with several strategic powerups, and winning a match really is quite satisfying. An Android version is planned but not available yet.

Also, Artemis Starship Bridge Simulator is on iOS and, in addition to hooking up with the original PC server instance, it can host a full server itself, albeit over Wifi. If you haven't heard of it before, it's like Spaceteam, but more realistic with more of a focus on really operating the separate stations of a starship bridge in the Star Trek tradition. Only got to play it once in geeky company, but it was super addictive.

6YJGH2V.png
  • X DarkFairy XX DarkFairy X Registered User regular
    Temple Run 2 is another fun "time waster" distance runner. Single player, free on both Android and iOS.

• ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've only ever utilized Mario Kart DS and Tetris DS at previous PAXes, but I'm surprised no one has brought up Puzzlejuice (iOS) as a good time-killer. It was part of last year's PAX 10, afterall.

Zombicus on
    Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers will be out for Android and IOS this summer and it will include ad hoc multiplayer.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Talisman Prologue HD was just released for Android and will have a multiplayer version coming this summer. Also I play Catan which is multiplayer on the same device.

thedragongem on
    badge.png
  • Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I am a fan of really high production value puzzle games. As such, I have enjoyed "The Room" on Android. It is just an open-the-box kind of puzzle game, and the first game from this publisher at all, but so well done that it draws you in. Great for jumping into while in a line, and dropping out whenever. The only downside is that you will finish it easily while at Pax, so use it for game "snacking" instead of just a meal. That being said, so far my favorite game of the year. Google Play Link

Just checked, it is on iOS as well.

Mr Je11yman on
  • GrimWulfGrimWulf Registered User regular
    Touch Arcade has a review out for Heads Up! Seems like it could be pretty pick up group friendly
    http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/02/as-featured-on-the-ellen-show-heads-up-is-a-party-game-you-need/

edited May 2013
    That's a fantastic suggestion, Grim! I'll add that above when I get a chance.

On a related note, I'm going to see if there is an iOS version of Fax Machine, as played on strip search.

--Nothing found that's any good for the real estate of a phone.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
    A new version of the popular PC strategy game, Frozen Synapse, will be appearing on iOS very shortly, with a version for Android released at a future date which may be before or after PAX Prime.

Short story long, you control several SWAT soldiers in a turn-based tactical cyber-punk decker environment to out maneuver your opponent. The game is normally supported by a master server for asynchronous gameplay, so getting a signal out will be rather difficult at PAX, but it does support a hotseat mode.

6YJGH2V.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Eclipse just arrived on iOS. I have it on my iPad and it does a fantastic job of replicating the 4X board game. It has local multiplayer that can be passed to each player, similar to Ascension. It's a popular board game that does such a great job of mimicking the board game that players of either format can comfortably play both. This allows people to play the game in the tabletop free play area without having played the board game version. This is what is known as a 'good thing'.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin wrote: »
    Eclipse just arrived on iOS. I have it on my iPad and it does a fantastic job of replicating the 4X board game. It has local multiplayer that can be passed to each player, similar to Ascension. It's a popular board game that does such a great job of mimicking the board game that players of either format can comfortably play both. This allows people to play the game in the tabletop free play area without having played the board game version. This is what is known as a 'good thing'.

Added! I haven't played this one yet, but most of the reviews say the lack of a setup and teardown really makes this worth it. I'll give this a shot on the bus ride home tonight.

6YJGH2V.png
  • GrimWulfGrimWulf Registered User regular
    Picked up Eclipse the other day, great game, just I find I really suck at it! Played like 10 games so far and only won once against the computer. My strategy is obviously lacking somewhere :P

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    GrimWulf wrote: »
    Picked up Eclipse the other day, great game, just I find I really suck at it! Played like 10 games so far and only won once against the computer. My strategy is obviously lacking somewhere :P

It's a very tough game to master :(

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Ok, I got a group of 5 people to play Artemis at my office today (using laptops). I'd definitely like to get some Artemis going though I'm not sure how the networking will work.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Dracil wrote: »
    Ok, I got a group of 5 people to play Artemis at my office today (using laptops). I'd definitely like to get some Artemis going though I'm not sure how the networking will work.
    At PAX, I think a personal hotspot might work for that. I've been able to test my iPhone and iPad with a Clear hotspot and it runs well enough. Don't know about a full bridge, though.

6YJGH2V.png
  • RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Artemis is now available in the google play store for android.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
    Huzzah! More people, more fun! (Added to the OP)

I beginning to wonder if we should spin off a discussion on Artemis games. People with Artemis on their phones and tablets really makes this a lot more viable. As long as someone is packing a server with sufficient power, an Artemis game could pop-up anywhere.

6YJGH2V.png
  • thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    I just installed Carcassonne available on the Play Store for $4.99. So much fun!

badge.png
    I just installed Carcassonne available on the Play Store for $4.99. So much fun!

Added both Android version and the... ahem... more than twice the cost version on iOS. Different devs, I know...

6YJGH2V.png
  • 61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    Elder Sign; iOS and Android. Not really multiplayer but since each character has a separate turn its no problem to pass and play. Does a great job converting the dice based board game to mobile.

Call of Cthulhu: Wasted Land; iOS and Android. Again, not really multiplayer but lends itself to pass and play. Great WWI Lovecraftian RPG based on the Call of Cthulhu pen and paper RPG.

Scribblenauts Remix; iOS and Android (via Amazon app store)

Xtreme Wheels; Android (not sure about iOS); best Trials HD clone I've played so far.

edited May 2013
    I've added Elder Sign and, yes, I've played a lot of it and even though the print game isn't that intensive for setup, this is a nice version. I can only recommend the "HD" version on iPad as iPhone screens are indeed too small for this game. It really should be a universal app anyway, but it's not. I'd rather direct people to the right version in the first place. And consequently, I would probably only recommend this for Android tablets or larger-screen phones.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    GrimWulf wrote: »
    Touch Arcade has a review out for Heads Up! Seems like it could be pretty pick up group friendly
    http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/02/as-featured-on-the-ellen-show-heads-up-is-a-party-game-you-need/

I downloaded Heads Up and want so desperately to play it with someone over 7. ;) It's a fun game!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    Neuroshima Hex for both iOS and Android. It's a strategy game with pass and play multiplayer. It's a hex based board with 19 spaces and you compete with the other players for space to attack their HQ while defending your own. It's a fun little game that's pretty symbol heavy but good for longish lines. No online multiplayer though.

http://www.neuroshimahex.com/

• ShmelioShmelio Registered User regular
    Its always about the vgba.

• BoomhowerABBoomhowerAB Registered User new member
    BIG fan of Ingress, any resistance members hit me up, plan a take over :D

edited June 2013
    PWN just got a massive upgrade. Online multiplayer (YAY!), better balance of difficulty in the campaign, skill points for your campaign characters, more new maps, and many bugs and balance issues squashed. If you passed over this game before, be sure to check it out now.

UPDATE: Also, just got the notice that Frozen Synapse is now available on Android, too. Still a beta, the only problems they anticipate are minor graphics glitches and framerate issues on some devices. You can also get this as part of the current Humble Bundle and help out Child's Play at the same time!

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • grifta67grifta67 SF, CARegistered User regular
    And even better, PWN is free today! (June 24th)

http://freeappaday.com/

Prime '09, '10, '11, '12, '13
    grifta67 wrote: »
    And even better, PWN is free today! (June 24th)

http://freeappaday.com/

This is an awesome catch. The game was already worth every penny of the asking price, but this is an absolute steal.

While the gettin's good, people.

6YJGH2V.png
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Love this thread already found a couple new games for IOS out of it...

Now I am just imagining a crowd of people shouting things at other people holding ipads above their heads...

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• 61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    Magic the Gathering is out for android, btw. Meant as a tablet app. Barely playable on my Note 2. Wouldn't rexommend it on anything smaller.

Oh boy. I know a lot of you have been waiting patiently for this. And not waiting patiently but waiting in a totally obnoxious state of vibration.

Spaceteam is now available... for Android!

6YJGH2V.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's also cross-platform with iOS devices via wifi. The bluetooth setup is single platform only.

• ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    BIG fan of Ingress, any resistance members hit me up, plan a take over :D

I know I am very late in replying about Ingress, but I just got it today and am learning the ropes as a Resistance member, so I'd love to help you guys. The convention center looks very green right now...

OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    I know I will be biased here but tekken card is free on android and is a fun time killer but then again I love tekken.

Essentially you get cards for said characters and equip them. When you battle you pick from attack draw or defend.

If you draw you get a card (you start each match with a couple drawn), defend your character blocks & attack your character pulls off the attacks you have drawn.

Its more indepth & better than my explanation but its really fun qnd a must have for any tekken fanatics!

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
    edited August 2013
    I'm taking note of a nice single player game for those who like minimalist, surrealist strategy.

Rymdkapsel

I'm not adding it to the above list because there isn't a multiplayer aspect, but it certainly worth your attention. The "story" really could not be more inconsequential, but you're building a space station with several basic room types. Aside from placing rooms (which incidentally fit the Tetris shapes), you direct your "minions" to build rooms, work engineering, research monoliths, defend the station from waves of invaders, and... work in food service. Quite a bit of fun and definitely a worthy game to keep you busy on the plane/on the train/in the car.

Sources tell me, the name of the game is roughly "space capsule" in Swedish.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png