As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Prime World] Defenders: Tower Defense and Collectible Cards

ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
1775.jpg
Fight off hordes of monstrous mutants created from a strange cataclysmic event in the new tower defense game, Prime World: Defenders. Join a group of exile treasure hunters who have ventured into the capital of an ancient empire, vast with mystery and danger.

Prime World: Defenders merges classic tower defense gameplay with collectible card mechanic. Your towers, your spells, your traps - all are magic cards that you can collect and upgrade. You'll have to develop your own strategy because you'll get your random set of cards after each battle.

Freeze, burn, poison, explode and slash countless enemies that will try to stop you from gathering artifacts of old kingdom. Choose your cards carefully and play them strategically. Expect some heavy resistance along the way – from small and almost harmless mutated fungi to powerful giant goblins and nagas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVMkasBgT-A

So how does it work?

These are the cards:
Tower-Prime-World.jpg

You have 3 basic types of cards in the game. Towers, Magic, and Artifacts
-Towers cards allow you to summon that particular tower in battle, each has varying strengths and weaknesses which you will need to know when deciding which ones to add to your deck for each battle.
-Magic Cards allow you to use various in game effects ranging from damage dealing to slowing effects, and more. They have a cooldown time which effects how often you can use them in battle.
-Artifacts are used for fusing. They provide increased experience boosts when fused with other cards, allowing them to get stronger, faster.

So Whats this about Fusing? I can Level up my cards?

-Tower and Magic cards can be Fused with other cards (and a small monetary fee), earning experience to level up the card, increasing the Tower or Magic card's stats.
-Tower cards can be Evolved by combining them with more copies of the same card (and a larger fee). This drastically increases their stats, and allows you to upgrade the tower in battle.

So you mentioned a Deck. How does this work?
You cant take all of your cards into battle at once sadly. You will have a limited number of slots to add cards that you can take into battle. These slots can be increased through Leveling up, and purchasing Talents. You will need to look at the enemies you will be facing and the map you will fight on, and decide which Towers and Magic will best help you.

So how do I get these cards anyway?
Aside from a few cards you are given early on, you will randomly receive cards as rewards from finishing random battles, as well as from buying booster packs or Chests in the Shop.

Wait a second... Shop? Don't tell me there are Micro-transactions.
Thankfully... No! Everything uses in-game currency you gain from battles, achievements, and gaining levels!

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Man alive, this game has its claws in me deep.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Just did the first 'boss' there. I thought this game was deep enough as-was, but side stuff too? Time-sink galore.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yet you still arent showing up on anyone's in-game list for ranking. odd.

Im about 7 missions in right now. I just keep doing hard random missions over and over grinding out for money.

Nice OP, btw. You should include TDWH's tip from the Steam thread that the talents don't have prereqs. You can snag a lvl 20 talent without any of the skills underneath it.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Do the rankings not just include friends? That might explain it, because I don't think we have each other added. (Unless you're talking to lolo)

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Psh.

This is an okay game.

I guess...
    33 hours played since purchase and counting...:lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited May 2013
    Yet you still arent showing up on anyone's in-game list for ranking. odd.

Im about 7 missions in right now. I just keep doing hard random missions over and over grinding out for money.

Steam says I have 6 friends who play, but the game only shows 4 people on my leaderboards. Though, one says 0.0 hours on steam, could be why. I think Iolo is still the oddity.

EDIT: Oh and more importantly, you get more silver from later raid maps; if you don't need what you're grinding for; wait. You can do most of the main campaign maps without needing the powerful stuff. IIRC a hard raid early on gives like ~100-150 silver? One at the end gives ~250-300. Plus what you can 'win' I suppose.

And that's supposed to double when they up the difficulty (though how much remains to be seen; "hard" right now is still absurdly easy).

The Dude With Herpes on

Hey!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    How the hell do I beat...
    The Flower Queen

I can get her to about half health before being completely overrun by her mobs. Is there a best path to route them? A best tower to attack her directly? I'm hitting a wall here.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    You activated my Trap Card.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Iolo wrote: »
    How the hell do I beat...
    The Flower Queen

I can get her to about half health before being completely overrun by her mobs. Is there a best path to route them? A best tower to attack her directly? I'm hitting a wall here.

I place a mortar and two towers of the sun right on her face; they focused mainly on her; I placed some other towers elsewhere to take care of the trash. She went down super fast.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    If I'm missing any of you guys as friends feel free to add me... I think I have most of you all added now and showing up in leaderboards... Well other than Iolo.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Well, I can see you all...

41AE7C347A4A31847FAB1A447FC777844B5E4122

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited May 2013
    Well that's not going to be allowed to stand.

Incidentally that was the next map on my list of replaying through for score instead of just completion. I notice you didn't post one of the prior ones

;-)

The Dude With Herpes on

Heh. Got to take my invisible pleasures where I can. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited May 2013
    Well, I went ahead and solved that little problem anyway.

I'll continue tomorrow. :P

EDIT: Some of the earlier maps, I've played a dozen times tryign to up my score and the conclusion I've come to on many of them is that short of figuring out how to be much more effective at magic than I am, I'm at the maximum for me. I've already got several of them down to a single un-upgraded cannon tower; that 35 Prime can't change my score that much. I was doing some thinking and I believe I can do some of them without towers at all, if I get a few different spells capped (i.e. the short cooldown ones). But I dunno, even if I can that kinda defeats the spirit of tower defense in my book.

The Dude With Herpes on

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    How are you guys playing? Steam is telling me this still has a bit over a week to go.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's one of the early access games, so you're in beta once you buy it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's one of the early access games, so you're in beta once you buy it.

*The Newell emerges from tall grass*
    Clever girl.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, it's not really a new concept, but Valve decided to embrace it and you can now search for games with early access on Steam.

YL9WnCY.png
    I need to just sit down and grind for a while and upgrade some of my towers... I keep trying to do a new level instead of grinding and get close to the end and fail at it and sit there and slightly tweak my strategy and repeat... That allowed me to finally beat lvl 10 but I'm pretty sure I just need better stuff to work with.

steam_sig.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Is this...um...online? I'm kinda confused. Does it have a singleplayer offline mode?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    How did you get your wooden tower to tier3? Mine can't be fused/evolved anymore and it only lets me upgrade once.

I got some sun laser tower last night that does more damage each second and rips through trolls.

paging @21stcentury for towerchats

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
    edited May 2013
    It's in Beta technically and it's currently single player but needs to be online... Looks like they are planning on making a single player offline option but that may push the official release date back.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Playing this now. The presentation of where monsters are going in blockade levels seems a bit fuzzy.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I need friends in this so I can compare myself to them on the leaderboards and realize how terrible I am.

Because @iolo is a ninja of some sort who doesn't shoe up in leaderboards.

I asked in the steam thread, but I've been working on this AoE blast tower that has a knock down chance. Is this a dead end I should stop pursuing? It doesn't shoot air, so that does kind of suck, but it's so good against everything else.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I need friends in this so I can compare myself to them on the leaderboards and realize how terrible I am.

I asked in the steam thread, but I've been working on this AoE blast tower that has a knock down chance. Is this a dead end I should stop pursuing? It doesn't shoot air, so that does kind of suck, but it's so good against everything else.

Post your steam profile link so we can friend you.

steam_sig.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Is this...um...online? I'm kinda confused. Does it have a singleplayer offline mode?

It's currently a single player, online only game. They said they will be removing the online mandatory connection eventually tho and were "suprised" by how much people disliked it.

Magic Pink on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

It's currently a single player, online only game. They said they will be removing the online mandatory connection eventually tho and were "suprised" by how much people disliked it.

Neat. Will keep an eye on it then.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Incindium wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Post your steam profile link so we can friend you.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Darkewolfe

I think they'll just be offering a choice between online or not; offline probably won't show up on leaderboards I imagine. At least I hope, that's always the quickest way to have leaderboards completely ruined.

They also hope to put in a multiplayer mode in the future but no promises.

But folks with the game not on my friends list should add me. I don't usually care much about leaderboards for people I don't know, but I like competing with forumers.
    Madpanda wrote: »
    How did you get your wooden tower to tier3? Mine can't be fused/evolved anymore and it only lets me upgrade once.

I got some sun laser tower last night that does more damage each second and rips through trolls.

Evolving is what upgrades ranks, fusing upgrades levels.

They don't mix; i.e. one will never do the other (usually...evolving 2 high level towers together will result in a higher rank, higher level tower but that's advanced, unnecessary stuff)

It's as simple as taking two rank 1 Wooden Towers, Evolving them together getting a rank 2; then taking that rank 2 and evolving it with another rank 1 (or higher). This results in a rank 3 tower and that's all there is to it. It can't go any higher than that.

Then you can go and fuse that rank 3 tower with whatever to level it up; Wooden Towers cap at level 5 though, so you can't upgrade it that much. Fuse as many things as you can at once because it's cheaper to do that than to individually fuse things.

Now, if you want to get fancy pants, there's 'secret' levels that result in evolving more than one high level, rank 2, towers together. I.e. if you fuse a level 10 rank 2 Cannon Tower with a level 10 rank 2 cannon tower, the resulting rank 3 level 15 cannon tower will have slightly higher stats than a normally leveled rank 3 level 15 tower. And by slightly I mean slightly. I think the dude on top of the leaderboards did testing with a dragon tower and the result was, at rank 3 the tower did like 60 more damage total (fully upgraded, not at base level in the map; it was like 15 damage or whatever at rank 1). So whether or not it's worth it to you to get that tiny increase is up to you; but if you think the game is grindy already... :rotate:

It can be confusing, with different ranks, different levels, etc, but it becomes clearer quickly.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I think they'll just be offering a choice between online or not; offline probably won't show up on leaderboards I imagine. At least I hope, that's always the quickest way to have leaderboards completely ruined.

They said you'll have to have 2 seperate accounts, one that's offline only and one that's online only.

Yeah that sounds familiar.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I was really surprised by how easily the last boss went down. The level before it took some doing; at the end, my towers were too clumped together and stuff got through too often, but the last two bosses really went down easy compared to previous bosses.

In other news, I'm still waiting for a third stone tower to show up for me to upgrade with.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    The level before last, one of the achievements is no tower upgrades.

Man I don't even know. And most of my towers are already maxed out already.

It's just those fucking shaman. They have such high health and can make your day miserable.

Though, just a tip for the last boss; don't push out any more waves after the boss comes out. If you do, you're likely to get a shaman right on top of the boss, and I found out that Shaman heal a % of health. :rotate:

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I shouldn't have clicked this thread.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I'm suiting up for the first boss now. What sort of state should my towers be in to face him?

Also am I right in that:

combining cards lets me upgrade towers in game more

fusing/chucking a ton of cards at a card just gives it a minor base stat boost?

They also hope to put in a multiplayer mode in the future but no promises.

But folks with the game not on my friends list should add me. I don't usually care much about leaderboards for people I don't know, but I like competing with forumers.
    Madpanda wrote: »

Evolving is what upgrades ranks, fusing upgrades levels.

They don't mix; i.e. one will never do the other (usually...evolving 2 high level towers together will result in a higher rank, higher level tower but that's advanced, unnecessary stuff)

It's as simple as taking two rank 1 Wooden Towers, Evolving them together getting a rank 2; then taking that rank 2 and evolving it with another rank 1 (or higher). This results in a rank 3 tower and that's all there is to it. It can't go any higher than that.

Then you can go and fuse that rank 3 tower with whatever to level it up; Wooden Towers cap at level 5 though, so you can't upgrade it that much. Fuse as many things as you can at once because it's cheaper to do that than to individually fuse things.

Now, if you want to get fancy pants, there's 'secret' levels that result in evolving more than one high level, rank 2, towers together. I.e. if you fuse a level 10 rank 2 Cannon Tower with a level 10 rank 2 cannon tower, the resulting rank 3 level 15 cannon tower will have slightly higher stats than a normally leveled rank 3 level 15 tower. And by slightly I mean slightly. I think the dude on top of the leaderboards did testing with a dragon tower and the result was, at rank 3 the tower did like 60 more damage total (fully upgraded, not at base level in the map; it was like 15 damage or whatever at rank 1). So whether or not it's worth it to you to get that tiny increase is up to you; but if you think the game is grindy already... :rotate:

It can be confusing, with different ranks, different levels, etc, but it becomes clearer quickly.

God damnitt, I was afraid this would be true. Now I'm going to feel bad if I ever fuse anything unmaxed.

If they use the usual formula, the most efficient way to get good stats is to max out two level 2 towers, then fuse them to 3.

The way to get the BEST stats is to max level all the level 1's. Fuse into 2's. Then max the 2's. Fuse into a 3.

So: 1 (max) +1 (max) / (1 (max) + 1 (max) then 2 (max) + 2 (max) to make a 3, which you max.

The difference is so small and the increased amount of grinding needed to get the boost doesn't make it worth it in my opinion.

steam_sig.png
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Man this looks good.