As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Arcade Pin Pal Trading Post

• Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

I could justify it easier if it was 2 pins, one to keep and one to trade... Give me a fighting chance for the next KS pin :)

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    My dreams of getting a complete set just went up in flames. No one will be willing to trade away the pin they paid that much for. I guess the iron price will be my only hope.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Yea, I will definitely not get this. $150 for a single pin (along with the Kickstarter rewards) just doesn't do it for me.

I might just stick with the first ever set released (and framed) and maybe pick up stuff I like here and there.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    $150 pinny arcade tier is BULLSHIT. This is my exaggerated reaction.

Just as disappointed as everyone else here that my pinny arcade collecting hopes ended before they even started.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I guess technically $150 isn't 'just' for the pin, and its primarily for funding the podcast. Its unfortunate that most won't be able to get every pin, but that's the nature of collecting, some things are rarer than others.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    I guess technically $150 isn't 'just' for the pin, and its primarily for funding the podcast. Its unfortunate that most won't be able to get every pin, but that's the nature of collecting, some things are rarer than others.
    True some things are more rare than others, but usually not this fast. Disney did not release pins this rare this early on. I could see this a few years down the road once there are hundreds of pins out. The Merch pin upset enough people with how expensive it was, this is going to be worse.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Call me an enthusiast or a sucker.....i got it...not sure whether to be happy or ashamed...probably ashamed lol

custom PA USB sounds cool too

The custom USB took the sting off a bit when I got mine. I regret nothing.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I'll be at Prime,so I'm willing to trade sets with anyone who is going to Pax Aus. Three of us are going, but I'm the only collector so I can persuade them to assist with the "two per person" limit. I will likely have Merch pins too.

• Options
    pureval wrote: »
    True some things are more rare than others, but usually not this fast. Disney did not release pins this rare this early on. I could see this a few years down the road once there are hundreds of pins out. The Merch pin upset enough people with how expensive it was, this is going to be worse.

I don't have a problem with the Merch pin conditions. I probably spend that much every PAX to be honest, which baffles me as to why I wouldn't do this for the DLC pin tier. I guess I am not into the podcast (which I have never listened to). Maybe if there were a few other perks for that tier I would be persuaded.

Either way, meh. It won't stop me from getting pins in the future.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    A note on pin trading via the forums:

This thread gives no legitimacy to anyone attempting to trade with you. Any trades performed should always be assumed to be at one's own risk with no official avenue for retribution in the event of a fuckup or a scam. I wish that this hadn't come up.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

This thread gives no legitimacy to anyone attempting to trade with you. Any trades performed should always be assumed to be at one's own risk with no official avenue for retribution in the event of a fuckup or a scam. I wish that this hadn't come up.

Already? That sucks.

• Options
    I didn't mean to de-rail discussion, just felt the need to post the disclaimer. Please don't waste your typing discussing jerks :P

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

Already? That sucks.

My bad. I just figured that this would be the place to try and organise things for people who can't attend PAX for the various reasons (Fear of Australian Spiders, Snakes, Drop Bears; Couldn't get tickets to Prime, etc).

I will try and think of some way to eliminate the risk from trading on here or any other means. I just don't want to have to resort to ebay-trading and the subsequent price gouging that entails. Trading shouldn't be expensive just because we can't get to each other, and whilst I wish we could meet up more often geography just won't allow it.

If mailing pins is deemed to risky and untrustworthy, what about "hold onto them until.." and either we can meet directly or have someone we know swing by and exchange?

• Options
    I didn't scold anyone specifically within this thread. Just saying that the forums by their nature provide no legitimacy, nor can the forums offer legitimacy. How all of you decide to protect yourselves from potential jerks is up to you.

• Options
    Unfortunate necessity to mention it I guess. So far I have asked people im trading with to hold their pins until after PAX Aus, so at least they won't be sending pins overseas with nothing in return for months.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options

Ah just a caveat, the way it was worded I thought something had gone down already.

• Options
    Unfortunate necessity to mention it I guess. So far I have asked people im trading with to hold their pins until after PAX Aus, so at least they won't be sending pins overseas with nothing in return for months.

Indeed. I'm holding off until after PAX Aus before I started asking for overseas pins.

• Options
    Per Mike's news post...
    Finally we are working on the next batch of Pinny Arcade pins right now. We will have some great new pins for PAX Australia as well as a new set that will be available online around the same time. I’ll do a full pin preview soon with all the details for for now here is a sneak peek at some of my ideas.

i-cbjnqwN-L.jpg

So, I gather that there is the Prime set, the Australia set, and then "core set 2" being released. That, plus I would guess exhibitor exclusive ones (ala Chandra).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    grifta67grifta67 SF, CARegistered User regular
    Yea, I guess I'm still struggling to grasp how the whole trading concept works. If I'm trying to collect a full set (or close to it), I'm never going to want to trade the harder to get ones, like Merch, Gabe/Tycho rares, etc. I feel like all I'll have to trade are the base sets that anyone can buy, but why would people want to trade for those?

-Sean

Prime '09, '10, '11, '12, '13
  • Options
    SerpicoBC wrote: »

Indeed. I'm holding off until after PAX Aus before I started asking for overseas pins.

I figured I would ask now, so that someone who is going to PAX Aus would be more likely to buy extra sets to trade. Basically, if someone agrees to buy me an Aus set, I'll agree to buy them a Prime set. Then we just have the hurdle of swapping them :)

• Options
    SerpicoBC wrote: »

I figured I would ask now, so that someone who is going to PAX Aus would be more likely to buy extra sets to trade. Basically, if someone agrees to buy me an Aus set, I'll agree to buy them a Prime set. Then we just have the hurdle of swapping them :)

• Options
    grifta67 wrote: »
    Yea, I guess I'm still struggling to grasp how the whole trading concept works. If I'm trying to collect a full set (or close to it), I'm never going to want to trade the harder to get ones, like Merch, Gabe/Tycho rares, etc. I feel like all I'll have to trade are the base sets that anyone can buy, but why would people want to trade for those?

-Sean

It's quite likely that once this ramps up, it will be impossible to get a complete set without grabbing multiples of rares in exchange for others. For example, Merch is seen as rare because it requires a purchase at PAX. But I already have a Merch, and will no doubt be getting at least one more at Prime (both myself and my girlfriend tend to overdose on shirts at Cons.) which I would be willing to trade for another "rare".

I think the key is to use the Core sets to trade for the Gabe/Tycho and recently-announced staff pins, and buy extra PAX sets to trade with actual Collectors. (Pinheads? Prattchet-inspired, but apt.) I'm hoping that Mike and Jerry will have a few of the more rare pins to trade each year. I think that is the reason for the "two trades per person" for the staff (in addition to not having them swamped each PAX.) They don't want you completing your collection simply by trading everything with one staffer.

Hopefully we can organise a little bit between the Collectors, and help each other out when it comes to PAX sets, at least.

• Options
    will definitely be easier when more pins are out in the wild.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    will definitely be easier when more pins are out in the wild.

I think that's how it generally works.

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, the pin from the Downloadable Content Kickstarter is way cooler than I expected. I was thinking it'd just be the logo or something similar, but it's way more fun than that...

DLC-Pin.jpg

So, is anyone going to go for it?

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    FUUUUUUUUU.

I was against spending that much, but I started thinking about doing the $55 level. Now you show me that?! Arg!!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! whered you get that pic?

yeah i cashed in for the pin. i too thought it would just be the PADLC logo. This looks great.

EDIT: ah...just checked my email :P

EDIT EDIT: Thought this might be handy for some people. I had a go at recreating a bigger version of the cardboards that the pins come on which ill use when i eventually get more. Just used the colours and assets from the pinny website.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/34e5ngp.jpg

its in A4 paper size, but it should be easy enough to photoshop to your liking

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    I bought the DLC pin sight unseen, because I am a weak individual. That the pin is actually pretty sweet makes me feel less bad about it. The USB is cooler than expected too. But still, if the price point had been a tier or two lower, I think everyone would be happier about it.

• Options
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    I bought the DLC pin sight unseen, because I am a weak individual. That the pin is actually pretty sweet makes me feel less bad about it. The USB is cooler than expected too. But still, if the price point had been a tier or two lower, I think everyone would be happier about it.

Agreed. But I regret nothing!

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Am I the only one that feels like buying these was a waste of money? I'm never going to be able to collect them all, especially when ones like the DLC pin cost a crazy amount of money. I guess I didn't realize what I was getting into in the heat of the moment. :(

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    It's hard to judge personal value on collectibles. I am the type of person that if I get into a collection hobby I will want all the things, and given the format of this, that will be a very difficult proposition over time. It's probably important to manage expectations. I think the intent (given the descriptions about Disney, and friends that have explained Disney pin trading to me) is that ideally almost nobody will have them all, especially once more and more and more are released into the wild in a variety of different ways. Supposedly the expectation is that the hunt, and just the fun of trading, will be enough to maintain its popularity into the future. It's not for me, which is ok, and it sounds like maybe it's not for you.

This is why I like our community Buttoneering so much :) There's a lot more trading going on with "regular people" versus "cast members (employees)" and it keeps the community feel of interacting with strangers very much alive. With the cost behind the pins, and the very limited numbers of new pins at any given time, I think it will take many years until pin trading achieves anything near the community feel of buttoneering via the trading aspect, since right now (and probably for the foreseeable future) most of the pinny arcade trading is just people trying to find the "special cast members" with the pins at pax, and very little about finding strangers with pins or people with vast collections to admire and trade with.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    It 'scratches a different itch' as they say. While buttoneering is more of a community driven meta game, I see pinny arcade as a collection for people who want to invest in the company other than buying posters or shirts,

Personally I think they're great, and I'll be collecting whatever I can. Only suggestion is not to expect to get every single one unless you are truly invested in collecting the whole set, focus on ones you want.

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    I don't think I am going for the pin. Just backed Boxer Hockey instead. Need those plush frogs!

I think I will stick to just getting the East pins.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    $150 for the pin alone i think i would have issues with, i still think you shouldn't think of it as $150 for just the pin though...the stuff on the USB counts for at least half of that i would say, plus now the usb is the unique PADLC logo. not to mention all this is primarily to fund the podcast.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options

It's $150 for the pin alone if that is all you care about ;)

If I had the option at $55 for the pin OR the USB drive, I would have put in even before seeing that awesome pin.

• Options
    My wife signed up for the Kickstarter as my birthday present :) She did it under my account so I found out a little early. Very excited. Now to make some friends in Australia and quick. Wish I had snagged some extra East sets.

• Options
    Hah, nice! I wonder if it will be possible to get the rare/exclusive pins in the blind boxes down the line.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Hah, nice! I wonder if it will be possible to get the rare/exclusive pins in the blind boxes down the line.

They mentioned somewhere (vague I know) that the blind boxes will be made of the pins that people trade into them at PAX. So there is a chance, if someone is willing to give one up. I was shocked at how many Merch pins I saw in the box at East.

• Options
    so probably boxes filled with 90% core pins lol

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Well, if they are going to be like Disney, they will release blind box themed sets with about 9-10 pins. I know I am a sucker for those.

bYf6vNQ.png