As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wood working, metal working, ceramics/pottery, etc.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I like the mobius earrings. You should definitely take the time and take some better/non blurry pictures so you can do the work justice. :)

Edit: and I just bought some wood working tools for my home shop and I'm going to start trying to do more of that. I'm going to attempt to do some cutting boards with combinations of purple heart, hard maple, and padauk.

padauk:
    Padauk.jpg

purple heart:
    Purple_Heart_1.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Thanks, yeah I'm still getting used to this camera, thinking about getting a tripod for it and maybe a nice wood board for indoor pictures or something. Some wood like that that you posted looks good, would make some nice cutting boards.

SkutSkut on
    edited April 2013
    I'm hoping I could make a bit of money off etsy selling these things. The first board I'm attempting will look something like this:
    cutting-board.jpg

Has anyone here had any experience selling things on regretsy?

CommunistCow on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    What is the process for making something like that?

edited February 2013
    It is easier than it looks you cut some purple heart and hard maple in 2 sets of 4 different sized strips. Then alternate the strips purple heart and maple so the outside piece on one side is purple heart and on the other side is maple. Then glue those. Once that is dried then you run that piece through the table saw perpendicular to the current glue up. Make 10 or so even pieces. Then take every other piece and flip it over giving it the checkered pattern. Then flip each piece 90 clockwise so they are on their side (so the end grain is up) and then glue them again. Once that is done you just do some basic sanding, routering, and food safe sealing.

The forums over here: http://lumberjocks.com/forums has some other amazing things and a lot of the people provide instructions.

If I get the one above done and am pleased with the work I think I might try and use my friend's bandsaw and try this kind of cutting board next:

DSC03897.jpg
    "Drunk" cutting board instructions.

Edit: found the video on how to make that first cutting board:

part1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B8oAJs3sik

part2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YcF1Ne2GlI

CommunistCow on
    I redid my pictures outside, they look way better. link to album again

They definitely look a lot better.

edited February 2013
    A friend posted this on my facebook wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7lZsLKBWZk

:)

CommunistCow on
    I have a bunch of new stuff, and am quite happy with how the full Persian came out. Any C&C from others that work with maille for my stuff?

Here's the Full Persian bracelet.

eJDmWzy.jpg

I have absolutely no experience with metal working so the only comments I have are some of the fasteners you have look like a dull brass while the rest of the piece is shiny. I would try and keep a consistent sheen between the fasteners and the rest of the material.

Also from a photography perspective you should try and get the whole item in focus. You can do that by shooting in brighter light and using a higher f-stop. Some P&S cameras will let you mess with that or you just have to shoot in bright light and hope it automatically changes to a higher f-stop. If that doesn't work then try and shoot straight down at the item so the whole thing is in a single focal plane. IE avoid shooting at an angle if parts of the item come out blurry.

thanks for the camera tips, have been taking them outside and straight down sounds good, will give that a go from now on.

Finally finished making that cutting board I was talking about.

il_fullxfull.441753485_9jap.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience selling things on etsy? If so could you take a look at the shop I just made and let me know if there is anything I could do to improve it or could give me tips on promoting my stuff?

Your photography skills are really helping you out here, nicely staged. Your graphic design skills, however, are letting you down a bit. Its really hard to read "Chopping Block" on that banner, its too light and the thin font doesn't compete with the wood grain well.

I don't know how to get your etsy out there, though. Maybe tumblr the stuff you make? You take nice enough photos that they may get around just on that merit. If you are a foodie you could also do something like "heres my daily instagram pic, oh its presented on this cutting board you can purchase" kind of thing.

edited March 2013
    Iruka wrote: »
    Your photography skills are really helping you out here, nicely staged. Your graphic design skills, however, are letting you down a bit. Its really hard to read "Chopping Block" on that banner, its too light and the thin font doesn't compete with the wood grain well.

I don't know how to get your etsy out there, though. Maybe tumblr the stuff you make? You take nice enough photos that they may get around just on that merit. If you are a foodie you could also do something like "heres my daily instagram pic, oh its presented on this cutting board you can purchase" kind of thing.

Thanks, I'll work on that banner. I was also thinking about doing bold cartoon-y letters. Would that seem odd or completely out of place?

I don't really do any blogging about food stuff, but I do have a friend that blogs about the bento boxes she makes. So maybe I could get her to use the boards in her posts.

CommunistCow on
    edited April 2013
    Just finished this cutting board which I made for a custom order and made a quick new gate for my garden:

heartboard3_zps052f7589.jpg
    Maple, Padauk, and Walnut.

_MG_9051_zps5dcb27f7.jpg
    Beetle Kill Pine and some red semi-gloss exterior paint.

CommunistCow on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Those are wicked cool CC. Especially dig the fence man :^:

I've got a lot more stuff in my album, my favorite thing so far is this water themed full persian.

QZYN6pu.jpg

Niiiiice. I also like these two:
    http://i.imgur.com/5Uj3Um6.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Vwy4kSr.jpg

Are you managing to sell much of this stuff?

I sold a bracelet to my uncle, was going to give it to him but he insisted. That's it so far, want some more inventory before I open an online shop or start advertising. Also asked a friend that sells for pricing advice a few days ago so I'm looking into it but haven't really started advertising yet.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I'm . . . actually really tempted to pick up that smaller cutting board as a present for my sister. I think it's something she'd be into, I just have no idea if she needs one. I'll see if I can get a good answer from her about it.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    hot damn, this thread is full of beauty and i am bookmarking it for later.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited April 2013
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I sold a bracelet to my uncle, was going to give it to him but he insisted. That's it so far, want some more inventory before I open an online shop or start advertising. Also asked a friend that sells for pricing advice a few days ago so I'm looking into it but haven't really started advertising yet.

For pricing I would just go to etsy and search for stuff similar to what you are making and just see what other people are charging. Just make sure they are actually selling things.
    http://www.etsy.com/search?q=chain maille jewelry&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&ref=auto3
    Similar looking ear rings appear to be going for $12-$15 and bracelets for ~$30.

In other news a friend has ordered a Zelda Triforce cutting board from me. So that will be a bit of a challenge in the upcoming weeks figuring out how to do that. I'm not used to cutting out triangles and clamping them together.

Edit: @SkutSkut just in case you missed this post since this isn't a high trafficked thread.

CommunistCow on
    New cheeseboard. Made from Walnut, Padauk, and Maple.

_MG_9084_zps3af1251a.jpg

_MG_9074_zps8d8126f7.jpg

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Did you ever make an etsy store?

@CommunistCow are the imperfections intentional? The fact the squares are just slightly off on two rows really weirds me out, in an almost optical illusion kind of way.

Its really cool though! Make a spiral one!

Make one with juice grooves!

edited May 2013
    Enc wrote: »
    Did you ever make an etsy store?

I did but I still need to work on the title image and some other stuff. I've pretty much sold everything to friends or friends of friends. So that's why I keep putting off making improvements to the etsy store. An old acquaintance who runs a local hand crafts shop asked me to make two more of the heart shaped cutting boards for her to sell on consignment. So I'll do that and see how that goes.

@Iruka - the imperfections are not intentional. I tried cutting all the pieces at the same time but I guess some got off slightly even though I never moved the rip fence on the table saw. So a little difference here and there looks like it got compounded into pieces being off by about 1/4 of an inch or so when it was all put together. Plus I wasn't able to sand it consistently such that I took off the same amount on each piece. I think I also messed up on the glue up on the long piece of walnut on the diagonal. So it definitely isn't perfect but I'm pretty happy with it for my first attempt at this kind of pattern.

CommunistCow on
    edited June 2013
    I've got a lot more stuff and a shop set up finally. Mostly just keychains and bracelets right now.

Speaking of bracelets, right now this is my favorite one. Gun metal/seafoam dragonback
    GzdtOHV.jpg

SkutSkut on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    looks like a magnetic clasp?

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited June 2013
    Magnetic clasp on the dragon backs, yes.

And it's done

Japanese Cross or Lace, I forget the name.

wb2QUuT.jpg

SkutSkut on
    edited August 2013
    So I got to try raku pottery for the first time last night. These pots are a little derpy and aren't usually up to my standard but I threw them on the wheel REALLY quickly because I had to make the last firing so I could get these raku'ed on time.

Front/Back
    dripraku_zpsac18d730.jpg

Front/Back
    striperaku_zps64d41c58.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    What type of raku did you use to get that red on the first one? Were they oxidized or reduced?

those are iridescent and pretty awesome :O

RxI0N.png
    edited August 2013
    Wombat!! wrote: »
    What type of raku did you use to get that red on the first one? Were they oxidized or reduced?

I'm completely new to raku so I don't know but I'm guessing reduction. On the red pot I used a copper based glaze that was mixed at my local community center. We used a small gas kiln and fired these up to cone 08 in about 40 minutes and then pulled them out and put them in metal trash cans with news paper and then put the lid on. Then we left those there for 30 minutes and took them out and immediately quenched them. It was my understanding that starving the fire of oxygen causes a reduction atmosphere in the trash can.

We are putting some stuff in a cone 10 salt firing kiln tonight and pulling them out next week so hopefully I'll have some more interesting stuff to show off next week.

CommunistCow on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Ooooooh, salt fires are gorgeous. That quenching is definitely a reduction. I missed out on my one chance to do some raku, but managed a bunch of cone 10 firings. So much more variety in those than cone six boringness.

Here's the salt kiln our instructor built last year. works like a charm:
    soda-kiln-267-11-14-12.jpg

Wombat!! on
    Here is a shitty cell phone picture of our kiln with it loaded with our classes stuff.

saltkiln_zpsc3778fed.jpg

I'm actually kind of nervous about this firing because this is the first time I've tried under glazes, imprints, making carvings on my pottery, and doing salt. So I'm just hoping it doesn't all come out looking like brown poo. The kiln will be unloaded Wednesday and it is just killing me sitting here waiting.

edited August 2013
    Here is a terribad cell phone picture of the kiln after firing:

saltkilnunloading_zpsdc3e530b.jpg

I'll upload some photos of my pots soon. I was disappointed in a lot of my stuff. Techniques I used in cone 10 reduction glazing didn't work so well and looked a bit sloppy in the salt firing. I need to learn to rush less and spend more time on each piece. My wife was super diligent and her stuff came out looking amazing.

CommunistCow on
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    So I found this thread. You guys do good stuff. I don't think I am as good, but I made 3 planter boxes this summer for plants. Messed up on one with the 45 angle on the top. The other two I cut boards wrong lengths. But I got a little better. I heard people talking about selling things. A planter box similar to what I made cost a good 150 at the garden store (why I made them) and I can make for a lot less. I could stand to get better and not make mistakes, but how do you sell your stuff? I can get a picture of one (with tomatoes in it) if you want to see it.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    but how do you sell your stuff?

Poorly. All but one of my sales have been to friends or acquaintances. Friends have seen my stuff on facebook and asked me to make them something. As for selling it to strangers I can't be much help since I've only managed to sell one thing on etsy. I just followed the blog posts on tagging and I'm assuming that's how someone found one of my cutting boards.

edited August 2013
    So I was actually kind of depressed about how this salt firing turned out. I really rushed a lot of my pots trying to get a bunch done and so they are all a little bit sloppy. I was also used to doing glazes on the outside and inside so if stuff from the inside dripped on the outside. When you don’t glaze the outside and you get drips it doesn’t look very clean and neat. I also just need more basic throwing practice. So I’m taking another salt firing class in September so hopefully I’ll have some better stuff then.

All the brown/tan parts of the pots are just unglazed parts that were covered in salt during the firing.

1000939_10101724214108003_1346249485_n_zpsa63802d9.jpg

1184891_10101724214367483_1721382784_n_zps594b3c5e.jpg

1236531_10101724214222773_1254478480_n_zps21a12a92.jpg

1150995_10101724214103013_770166409_n_zps143facd8.jpg

I was expecting the underglaze that was outside of the divets to get burned off but they didn’t so this also looks a bit sloppy.
    1236128_10101724214342533_2138298762_n_zpsa29d147c.jpg

1236151_10101724214212793_1855398395_n_zps1cf28275.jpg

I suck at handles I need a lot of practice making these.
    1150237_10101724214337543_446697410_n_zpsf077ca31.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Hello Metal working thread!
    Debated making my own thread, but figured I'd post in here. I've been working with Bismuth lately (which is awesome stuff), and I've been trying to make a Tardis thing for a while now.

I most recently (today) screwed up my 4th attempt, which I'm tired of doing.

Here are photo's from the past few attempts.
    First set:
    P1020012_zpsbafb6c74.jpg
    P1020010_zpsec3a7737.jpg
    P1020013_zpscc43d9b3.jpg

Second set:
    P1020023_zps59d48f6d.jpg
    P1020024_zpse34f200c.jpg

So I purchased a Tardis thingie from thinkgeek, then made a silicon mold of that (which, I kind of want to redo). I then made a wax positive from the silicon negative, to make a plaster of paris negative. Then I melt out the wax and bake the Plaster mold for like 5 hours at 350F to remove the moisture.
    Then I pour in melted bismuth, let it set for a few minutes, then dump the excess out.

So my issues thus far has been limited crystal growth (they aren't as big as I'd like), and the outside looks kind of like shit in some areas (which I imagine is partially because of the many transfers).
    I've been told concrete may be a better mold material for the bismuth, and I think I'll be giving that a go next. Still would love some advice, if any one has messed with this type of project.

Oh, additionally I'll be trying to put an LED on top (and possibly underneath the top bit). Trying to figure out how to wire that up.

PSN: jfrofl