As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Prime World] Defenders: Tower Defense and Collectible Cards

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The flame tower doesn't hit air, the Dragon flame tower hits air.

I think you're cornfused.

The dragon flame tower is the natural upgrade from the wooden tower > cannon tower > dragon flame tower.

The dragon tower has longer range, has a fire DoT, and far more damage potential than the prior ones (a level 25 dragon tower even at rank 1 does more damage than a level 15 rank 3 cannon tower); and ends up being absurdly powerful. Dragon towers and lightning towers upgraded are the answer to most everything.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oooooh.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind that you probably don't need to grind as much as you think you do. On threads advice I just pushed through ~5 storyline missions in a row and only failed the first try on the latest one (ghoooosts). I have better raids open now.

If you are failing on a boss look at your tower layout/purchasing order before going to grind a bunch. Unless you have really shit towers. Like non evolved non upgraded.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Keep in mind that you probably don't need to grind as much as you think you do. On threads advice I just pushed through ~5 storyline missions in a row and only failed the first try on the latest one (ghoooosts). I have better raids open now.

If you are failing on a boss look at your tower layout/purchasing order before going to grind a bunch. Unless you have really shit towers. Like non evolved non upgraded.

This; plus (and I know I sound like a broken record) on boss fights specifically worry less about doing them 'best' and focus on just winning at all to move on.

You'll get better towers naturally, grinding or now, by beating the main missions; and rarely (until the very end of the game, really) are main missions as hard as boss fights. Just get past, even if it's 1 <3 left, and come back later and do it 'right'.

EDIT: There's nothing wrong with challenging yourself to do it the best; I personally didn't move on to the next map until I 3 star'd it and got both achievements (not all at the same time) on any given map; but that required a lot of grinding that I'd never recommend a normal level-headed human being to do. :lol:

It's just not worth not enjoying the game to do so, if you're struggling with a map.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    After Defender's Quest I find it hard to play some TD games. I loved being able to tweak the AI of towers in that. The Energy Cannon would be godly if you could set it to fire in a straight line as a priority, but often the benefit of the attack goes to waste with it constantly twisting around to hit the first target.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah Defenders Quest absolutely spoiled me. It had so many options for control. Truely one of the best TD games out there, one that I can easily recommend to anyone vaguely interested in the genre. EDIT: Plus my name is in the credits. :P

I don't know how many times while playing this I wished I could tweak the AI on towers to have some prioritize runners, some bosses, etc.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    After Defender's Quest I find it hard to play some TD games. I loved being able to tweak the AI of towers in that. The Energy Cannon would be godly if you could set it to fire in a straight line as a priority, but often the benefit of the attack goes to waste with it constantly twisting around to hit the first target.

Oh my, did not know about that option in DQ.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

That's why I tend to put Energy Towers in spots where they are naturally positioned to go straight down a lane. Plus, if you have enough of them, the enemies tend to die fast enough that it sorts out the twisting problem.

That said, I feel like I'm relying way too much on the Siege towers. I mean, they do ridiculous single target damage that I have trouble bothering to place down anything else when they can one-shot things.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Oh my, did not know about that option in DQ.

Well, you couldn't tell your dudes to, say 'shoot down this row'; but you could set individual units to focus on first, last, strongest, weakest, fastest; you could also change your units priorities on abilities used based on what they were facing.

All in all, awesome.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Bought this on a whim, it is insanely grindy. Like, Korean F2P MMO grindy.

I was going to pick this up as a fun diversion (between Dota 2, SC2, and other more intense games), but that statement worries me...

No disrespect to anyone in this thread, but yeah: the grind is that bad. A single player game with a price tag shouldn't act like a F2P game that requires hours and hours of play with completely random progression.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular

I was going to pick this up as a fun diversion (between Dota 2, SC2, and other more intense games), but that statement worries me...

No disrespect to anyone in this thread, but yeah: the grind is that bad. A single player game with a price tag shouldn't act like a F2P game that requires hours and hours of play with completely random progression.

I have 13 hours in and have nearly like 4 levels left to complete and maybe 8 left to 3 star I had to grind for two bosses and 1 main level and on two of those occasions if I had just changed my tactics a bit I would have beaten them without the grind. It would be nice to have something like challenge levels to get access some of the stronger towers like lightning, dragon or sun and a boost in silver (but not too much or it would trivialize leveling your towers) but other than that I really dont feel it needs much tweaking.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013

It's just...what you're saying is objectively false. One, it doesn't have random progression; main campaign maps give you the towers you'll need to move forward when you complete them; doing raids is just for boosting your stuff to be even more powerful to do achievements, get stars, and just general OCD. If you don't care about powering up your towers, then there's no meaningful reason to care about doing 'the best' in any given map. The game can just be played through; you'll just do poorly. But if that's all you want, there it is.

Yes, you have to 'grind' some raid maps in order to afford all the talents you want, to afford card packs etc. No one is claiming otherwise.

But saying 'no disrespect' and then stating something that is diametrically opposed to everything everyone else is saying is pretty goosey. The game is not for you, fine; there's no reason to exaggerate the problems you have with it to try to make a point.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I think that the "silver is the most valuable thing" just isn't always the case. For me, personally, silver has come insanely easy, but getting the rare cards has been harder. I finally get my rank 2 lightning tower this morning, I'm still waiting on my rank 3 stone tower, etc. When I see the card spread has a 2-star and/or a 3-star card left after my initial pick or a rare card that I'm missing, I feel its entirely valid to try to redraw to get them. The silver can be replaced in two minutes. The rare cards and the stars that I can eventually spend on more rare cards take longer to build up.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I tend to redraw if I get silver to start because hey, it's pretty much free.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    If it's just post-campaign gameplay, I don't think it's grind, I think it's just gameplay.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    SE++ Tower Defense Thread.

For those interested in general TD talk.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

It's just...what you're saying is objectively false. One, it doesn't have random progression; main campaign maps give you the towers you'll need to move forward when you complete them; doing raids is just for boosting your stuff to be even more powerful to do achievements, get stars, and just general OCD. If you don't care about powering up your towers, then there's no meaningful reason to care about doing 'the best' in any given map. The game can just be played through; you'll just do poorly. But if that's all you want, there it is.

Yes, you have to 'grind' some raid maps in order to afford all the talents you want, to afford card packs etc. No one is claiming otherwise.

But saying 'no disrespect' and then stating something that is diametrically opposed to everything everyone else is saying is pretty goosey. The game is not for you, fine; there's no reason to exaggerate the problems you have with it to try to make a point.

We have different opinions, and I'd suggest you fucking deal with it. I was trying to be civil, for your information.

Now, please explain to me how to complete the first boss without griding. Either I'm missing something terribly vital and you're right, or you're understating the grinding in this game dramatically.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options

We have different opinions, and I'd suggest you fucking deal with it. I was trying to be civil, for your information.

Now, please explain to me how to complete the first boss without griding. Either I'm missing something terribly vital and you're right, or you're understating the grinding in this game dramatically.

You're missing something terribly vital. You can complete the first boss with the arrow towers, a slow tower and the poison tower, all of which you get to start with.

You probably just need to set up the route better. There's a way to make him loop back on himself.

Also, you are a goose for your language and incredibly rude in this thread.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Is the poison tower any good?

It always feels like a waste to me.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cool it, the both of you

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You're missing something terribly vital. You can complete the first boss with the arrow towers, a slow tower and the poison tower, all of which you get to start with.

You probably just need to set up the route better. There's a way to make him loop back on himself.

More details: what level do I need have my towers at? I've tried with an array of level 2 arrow towers set to catch him on a corner coming and going, with 2 barricades to cut off the shortcut and a poison tower at the entrance. Do you have a screenshot of a tower configuration? How far is everything forged? did you get those forging materials through grinding?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Is the poison tower any good?

It always feels like a waste to me.

It's not really any good long term, no. At that stage in the game, though, two of them dropped as far apart as possible helps with maximizing damage to the boss.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Finally got a Lightning tower just now... it was one of the three possible rewards and I didn't get it till the 3rd selection. Worth it though. Also got a Sun tower yesterday. It was the special in the store for me so cost 1000 silver. A bit more griding to pay for some talents I want then I'll make a big push through some levels. I kinda like grinding/upgrading stuff for a while then pushing through mutiple levels till I get stuck.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

More details: what level do I need have my towers at? I've tried with an array of level 2 arrow towers set to catch him on a corner coming and going, with 2 barricades to cut off the shortcut and a poison tower at the entrance. Do you have a screenshot of a tower configuration? How far is everything forged? did you get those forging materials through grinding?

IIRC I beat that boss using 5ish stage-2 wooden towers, a single slow tower, and a couple barrier towers to route him through the lower portion of the map. I didn't 3-star the map but I beat it.

Also no one is saying that there is no grinding, they're saying it isn't Korean-mmo levels of grinding. Pretty much any game that has randomized loot/rewards is going to have some grinding.

• Options
    The key to the first boss is that you can drop barriers to to make him reverse his path I think I used nothing but arrow towers and barriers, maybe an energy blast. Send him around the bottom and then when he is coming back he will take the middle, so block the middle up just as he reaches the square you can place towers on in the lane. He will go to the bottom and you can then block that up and he will go to the top a couple towers can be shooting him nonstop while this is happening. If you dont make multiple bad mistakes with tower placement he will go down no problem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The key to the first boss is that you can drop barriers to to make him reverse his path I think I used nothing but arrow towers and barriers, maybe an energy blast. Send him around the bottom and then when he is coming back he will take the middle, so block the middle up just as he reaches the square you can place towers on in the lane. He will go to the bottom and you can then block that up and he will go to the top a couple towers can be shooting him nonstop while this is happening. If you dont make multiple bad mistakes with tower placement he will go down no problem.

That is hilarious. I've been playing it like Defense Grid, where if you cut them off completely they will warp straight through.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Yeah you cant cut them totally off but you can make them reverse course for extra time. Theres another boss that is completely trivial because of this as well, you can make a big death ball and make him go through it twice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    yeah my pattern for that map...

Block the top path with whatever.
    Poison tower to block the first downward path.
    Energy cannon to block the straight path (so the path goes down on the 2nd path)
    Wooden tower to block 2 of the sides at the next intersection, making an S shaped path

Its the longest possible path on there without dropping towers in his path actively.

A slowing tower or the ice storm spell is also useful. Curse too if you have it.

• Options
    So close on the second last level. Im up to 87 waves before dying now, what a nasty level.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah that's by far the hardest map.

I don't have any idea how I'm going to do it without upgrading towers for that achievement. It's entirely possible I'll get that and the 1<3 achievement at the same time :lol: I'll have to pick towers very carefully and might actually break out the ice tower. Lots of spell casting too I imagine.

That, and the 'save 225 prime' on the dragon map are the only achievements I have left, aside from summoning 10k towers.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I had a bitch of a time with the map with the healing shamans that show up. I spent like 2 hours trying to beat the level/grinding my towers... Then out of nowhere I remembered that I'm a fucking goose.

See I spread the towers out... Poison in the beginning, and the middle... Arrow in the middle with slow and arrow at the end. That's usually how I play TD games, but these guys would heal up fro m my poison and reach the middle with full health. And no matter what I did I couldn't get it.

Then I placed two arrow towers in the middle instead of slow/arrow and they dropped like flies. Somehow forgot to do blast damage rather than damage over time.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    New patch incoming!
    Hi

Patch submitted, should go live any minute now.

-Screen resolution fixes
    -Drop rate changes
    -50% increase in silver awards for random missions
    -Difficulty increase for random missions
    -Some price changes
    -Hotkeys for camera movement and rotation
    -Right-click to cancel tower placement
    -Tweaked voices a bit (we will redo voices in game later, right now we've just removed some VO so not to confuse gamers)
    -Minor interface changes
    -AOE Mortar bug fixed

Edit: Also official release date was pushed back to June 5th. That doesn't really mean much to us who are already playing it though.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I wonder what their "official release date" will really mean. Are they putting a box out or anything?

Because otherwise, everyone just buys it and plays it...

I wonder if the difficulty increase for random missions will put a stop to my ability to drop four energy towers, an ice tower, and then just hit tab as fast as I can.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Oh neat, the patch is going in, I decided to wait until after because I was having some issues. Have to boot this up again soooon.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Those are some good patch notes!

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    For a second there I thought they'd said they'd removed all the VO.

I had hope.

Can we at least patch in a seperate volume slider for them?

• Options
    Think they just removed the random VO commentary your get from some towers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    Think they just removed the random VO commentary your get from some towers.

Oh God that would be fantastic.

• Options
    oooooh, they fixed the mortar bug.

I'll have to check that out; mortars were still really effective even with the damn bug; but if it's fixed they could be incredible.

Also I wonder if the cancel towers on a right click applies to magic too. That was obnoxious; there was no way to cancel a magic cast, so if you clicked it you had to cast it; and if you wanted to hold off you couldn't push out waves and it'd kill your score. :rotate:

Either way, all good notes.

• Options
    You could always cancel before by moving your cursor to bottom of the screen to an invalid selection and clicking... but the right click to cancel will be nice.

steam_sig.png