As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Handheld games for PAX?

StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
Every year at the prior PAX shows there has been a "hot" handheld game. In the U.S., the handheld of choice has typically been the DS and there seems to be a lot of buzz already about several 3DS games for this fall's Prime show in Seattle. Is it the same in Australia? Is it mostly Nintendo DS handhelds, or is it the Sony PSP/Vita down there?

Usually the focus is on games that have some kind of public sharing mechanic. Stuff like 'The World Ends With You' has it's "pin" thing, or map collecting from visitors in the inn while playing 'Dragon Quest IX'. Looking at the Prime sub-forum, it looks like there is some interest in Animal Crossing, scheduled for an Aus release on June 15. What handheld games are likely to be popular for PAX?

We've got two old DS-lites and a PSP that we can bring. (We don't play them enough to make an upgrade worthwhile... yet.) Should we bother bringing them? Or will it be mostly 3DS/Vita?

26904.png

• Options
    smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    SpaceTeam was pretty popular at PAX East this year. If they get the networking sorted out that is massively fun with 8 people.

You should totally bring your DSes. The beauty of PAX is that there will be people with anything you can imagine. I swear to the Old Ones I saw an Atari Lynx a few years ago in the Handheld lounge. Briefly :P. Just be aware that the rarer your platform the more the Forums are your friend.

3DS gaming is pretty damn big. Anything that requires an Internet connection you can pretty much forget, as it will work like arse. I love my Vita, but have never used it for multiplayer and don't know if local games are even possible.

I'm bringing my Vita, but loading up my iPad with board games and antibacterial screen wipes, and bringing Cards Against Humanity. And my DIce Bag.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • Options
    rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Bring all your handhelds. There will almost certainly be others playing the same game you are.

And of course, StreetPass ALL the 3DSes!

• Options
    NeenerNeener Registered User regular
    Bringing my DS and then by the end of the day holy crap all the street passes! We must do a Mario Kart thing. Or something.

• Options
    BrunhildeBrunhilde Registered User regular
    I'm so out of it! Last thing like this I took my animal crossing to trade fruit. What trendy games are the cool kids playing these days??
    Maybe I should dig out the game gear just to show it off ;)
    I'll probably bring the DS, but not sure what games will be popular with other people. Advise please!

anniversary-8.png
  • Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    the only handheld i have is my phone!

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Brunhilde wrote: »
    What trendy games are the cool kids playing these days??
    Maybe I should dig out the game gear just to show it off ;)

Well the new 3DS Animal Crossing game is out June 9th, so that may well get some play. PAX is a golden Pokemon trading opportunity, of course. Monster Hunter supports LAN and Ad-hoc multiplayer.
    Yes. Definitely bring Game Gear. And some spare batteries. You will find an appreciative audience.
    thegh0sts wrote: »

I would never advocate getting an emulator and a buncha ROMs for your phone.
    You could however try for non-electronic or in fact completely theoretical games, like Zombie Dice, the perennially popular Cards Against Humanity, or a Quick and Light RPG like Action Castle. Actually that's a brilliant plan I'll be doing that.

smerk on
  • Options
    Uno! (I just played it last night, shush)

Oh man, is the new Animal Crossing out then?? Fuuuuu so many new visitors to my new town! Is Monster Hunter worth getting if I COMPLETELY SUCK at it? >.>

• Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    smerk wrote: »
    thegh0sts wrote: »

I would never advocate getting an emulator and a buncha ROMs for your phone.
    You could however try for non-electronic or in fact completely theoretical games, like Zombie Dice, the perennially popular Cards Against Humanity, or a Quick and Light RPG like Action Castle. Actually that's a brilliant plan I'll be doing that.

I don't just merely saying that phones are now becoming handheld gaming devices.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If you have a 3DS, I highly recommend you bring it along. Nintendo will be going all out to support 3DS owners at the show, with a lot of really cool stuff in store!

I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
    paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yug wrote: »
    If you have a 3DS, I highly recommend you bring it along. Nintendo will be going all out to support 3DS owners at the show, with a lot of really cool stuff in store!

Excellent...I just got a new 3DS XL over the weekend for my son (he loves his lego games).

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • Options
    philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
    2013 is a first big year (OoT doesn't make up for a whole year) for the 3DS! If Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem: Awakening, or the upcoming Zelda/Pokemon games sound exciting I'd be saving my pennies to upgrade (or at least listing the old ones on eBay if you don't use them that much..

I'll be bringing my two 3DS to get the most out of roaming without a charger each day (Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing/Pokemon Black 2).

Umming about my phone for Space Team as i'd like the battery for receiving messages??

Love Pokemon? Coming to PAX Aus? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!
  • Options
    I wonder if we can have an area to bring our chargers in and use the outlets... >.>

• Options
    vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Neener wrote: »
    I wonder if we can have an area to bring our chargers in and use the outlets... >.>

Thinking that same thing...

I do remember reading that there were some about at other PAXs... but i can imagine the waiting you might have to do to get a chance to use one.

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • Options
    philomglol wrote: »
    2013 is a first big year (OoT doesn't make up for a whole year) for the 3DS! If Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem: Awakening, or the upcoming Zelda/Pokemon games sound exciting I'd be saving my pennies to upgrade (or at least listing the old ones on eBay if you don't use them that much..

I'll be bringing my two 3DS to get the most out of roaming without a charger each day (Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing/Pokemon Black 2).

Umming about my phone for Space Team as i'd like the battery for receiving messages??

I suggest an external battery for your devices. Lots of manufacturers make lots of different kinds, find one you like. I own a Mophie, and they're easily available, including at Apple stores. I'm not recommending these over other manufacturers, they're just the ones I know best.

I have a Mophie Juice Pack Pro sleeve for my iPhone, which more than doubles my battery life and incidentally makes the iPhone an object even I am able to carry around without losing or destroying.

A better choice for PAX is something like the Powerstation Duo, which can charge 2 mobile devices at once, and recharges them a lot. Also just uses a micro-usb port for recharging, which means you can charge it from your laptop or an iPad charger.

You can also find Battery Sleeves for your 3DS, if you don't want a big general purpose battery. Something like the Nyoko Power Grip (Note I've never used one of these).

• Options
    YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    We might even have a few charging stations around the show for different devices, but that isn't confirmed yet ... just something we're looking into.

I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
    paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    JapandamanJapandaman Registered User regular
    I'm bringing both my 3DS and Vita but am not expecting the Vita to get a big workout. 3DS is the priority, should be able to finish off the quests in no time!!