As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yep. Scrambler pistols and nades rule the battlefield. Tact Rifles as well. We will have to wait to see how scrambler rifles play out, because they may fill the medium/long range role thats missing in the sandbox with the current stats (the tact sort of does so, but its kickback is a bit much. Id prefer a lower damage, lower kick weapon, which im hoping the SR is).

The amount of times i just turned and walked away from a massive blob of enemies last night was a bit silly. I am definitely better at this current build, but I'm not remotely sure I like it. Hopefully Scramblers change this quite a bit. I get that range of battles needed to be reduced, SS was a bit crazy (and the idea behind the skill was broke, it was too much of a must have compared to others). But the reduction is a bit much.

I do enjoy single shot weapons getting a buff. But even CQ, ARs seem a bit broken. I do better spamming scrambler or Tact bullets single shot at an enemy up close then I do firing the AR. Bursting as opposed to holding it down helps a bit. But the silly minute long dance fights I see going on are kinda hilarious. And all one of them has to do is cook a nade while dancing to end it...

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the build a lot more than I thought I would.
    Several of the maps that were formerly cluster fucks all day everyday are actually fun to play.
    It's a definite improvement.

Skills feel really expensive, though when I totalled everything up I am actually in roughly the same place I was before. It's just that the ceiling went up.

• BuzzwordsBuzzwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    player health seems to be WAY up, and it feels like hit detection is way down.

i know i personally was able to build a LOGI suit with over 1,000 total health, and it COULD have more but i'm unwilling to stack armor plates that hard (movement penalty) take that with weaponry skill no longer giving it's passive damage bonus, and every weapon has effectively been nerfed by about 10%

on top of that i'm hearing a lot of reports of the old "guy moving doesn't take damage" issue like the scout suits of a couple builds ago.

hopefully it's something CCP can fix quickly. every build has been "unplayable" for the first few days, and this is no exception :\

Buzzwords on
    edited May 2013
    I agree that hit detection seems to have suffered. It's something they've been able to "fix" in the past and each new build it gets broken again. Not sure what the story is.

Sokpuppet on
    I dunno, hit detection on single shot weapons seems pretty fine. Tact AR and scrambler dont have too many issues. Maybe I just havent noticed though. But youd think those would be the easiest to tell with.

616610-1.png
    They should really just remove proto ARs from the game entirely.

Is it just mean or was human endurance event followed by an ISK reset for all your items a terrible idea? I have more money than I know what to do with at this point, im sure I am not alone. Every match is just absolutely filled with proto gear. People are very willing to just burn through their ISK and now everyone has a ton of it.

I get the great corps using proto cause they die maybe 1 or 2 times a game, so they can make it profitable. But everyone else? Why? I die like 3 or 4 times a game now, and I can maintain a small profit margin using advanced gear, the guys dying 5-10 times in proto, how do they have any ISK at all?

616610-1.png
    edited May 2013
    Fitting skills now cost nearly as much SP as dropsuit command skills. Not much point in spending 3 million on Electronics + Engineering when you can spend 1.5 million and get more PG, more CPU, and more slots right off the bat.

To be honest, I've never been totally clear on how people die more than once or twice per match at all

Sokpuppet on
    Well that's just simple math. Unless every game ended in a boring 30-16 kill timer, one side has to die 80 times...

I guess you're just awesome and never do? That or you run with one of the elite corps and which case, yeah, lack of matchmaking makes it easy for a team to win 80-2 sometimes.

616610-1.png
    edited May 2013
    Ambush is down to 50 point matches post-patch.

I'm averaging about 4 for 2 lone wolfing right now.
    But I'm also running around in a glass cannon scout with a scrambler pistol.

I've talked about this before, but Rule #1 of dust is that you never engage a target that is aware of you. Never, never, never. Basically every time I die it's because I get greedy and break my own rules. The other important rules are: stick to the edges of the map; blue dots get you killed almost as fast as red dots; never fight for the low ground.

I take it you're playing skirmish? That gets frustrating, because a lot of times making the correct play (i.e. defending an objective) will result in your death, but you don't really have much choice. I would definitely not lone-wolf skirmish.

Sokpuppet on
    Nah, I play ambush. It still is at 80 clones for me. I do OMS though, maybe thats 80 and normal is 50? I like skirmish but until they fix the AFK issue its just garbage.

I lone wolf it but usually join a squad and stick with them if they are decent. I like surprising the good corps that a random is leading their squad :)

I dont die a ton, at all. Losing money by hitting 5 deaths is a rare occasion for me, but it does happen when Im up against the top corps. Though yesterday I went 18-3 against some imperfects, felt studly. But I can definitely see how folks DO die. I used to follow the "do not engage" rule, and it served me pretty well, but ive switched to more of a "feel them out and if they seem good and are in proto gear, RUN AWAY" mode. Or sometimes, rarely its the "im at 10 kills and no deaths, I am a god of this match, i will run in and kill you all!" mode. That usually doesnt go well.

616610-1.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I tried about half a dozen games just now.
    I am left bewildered and confused.

Not for me I guess.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Not for me I guess.

Try it again in a couple weeks. This is a post-patch week and they are still tweaking some issues with the game.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    So I was in this game quite a long time ago during closed beta and I am wondering in this game got any better. I remember the last time I tried to mess around in it the spawns were terrible.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    So I was in this game quite a long time ago during closed beta and I am wondering in this game got any better. I remember the last time I tried to mess around in it the spawns were terrible.

It is a lot better now, but there are still some minor issues. As far as spawns, they are fixed 90% of the time; there does still tend to be the occasional screw up where both sides spawn in close proximity.

edited May 2013
    CCP Eterne;
    "Dear players,
    As you are all aware – deployment of the Uprising build is upon us as of May 6th, and part of the reason we staged the deployment to be on May 6th with removal of the Beta designation on May 14th is that with the multitude of updates and changes that came with Uprising we wanted to give our players time to experience the new build and give us feedback.

We also appreciate that many of you desire communication from us that is even more transparent and timely when it comes to upcoming changes. In this regard, we are taking steps to make communications with you better. Chief among them is working with the CPM (Council of Planetary Management, the player council involved with DUST 514 development and the voice of you, the users), and generally increasing both the quantity and quality of communication. We are working hard to achieve this while continuing to keep things moving along in the development trenches. It can be tough at times, because we want to spend more time with you, learning from you, while working hard to bring you more of what you want in-game as quick as we can – please know, even if we go silent for a little bit, we are listening, but, that said, we are going to work extra hard to jump in and talk with you no matter what.

After observing your feedback and with the consultation from CPM we are ready to discuss various topics that you’ve brought up in various forum threads and our plans for addressing this stuff immediately and ongoing. Many of these issues will be addressed via hotfixes before the 14th, and throughout the month of May. Please actively participate in the continued Beta testing as we introduce changes and fixes up to the 14th. We really appreciate your feedback and role in the ongoing development of DUST 514, both during the Beta and beyond. We will endeavor to make public as many details on changes taking place in Uprising in advance of / as soon as they become available (whipping the hamsters can only get so far and our hamsters are busily making fixes!).

Below is a list of changes that we have details on and we would like to share with you and get your feedback. Again, we will be sharing more details as soon as we can manufacture it, so, expect more data to come.

Weapon damage model/HMG balance: We will be monitoring weapons damage and balancing carefully. We also have a set of various incremental changes to weapons in general (not just the HMG) that are being deployed immediately. CCP Remnant will be discussing this issue in this forum thread in greater detail and holding discussions about this issue, but here’s the TL;DR version: In the next hot-fix weapons will all get a 10% damage increase to compensate for the removal of the Weaponry skill bonus.
    • HMG damage buffed to 18 HP (including aforementioned 10% increase) and given a 5% dispersion buff.
    • In the near future, we will address range issues by removing the hard stop that currently takes place at maximum weapon range.
    The updates to this are going out right now as I type this. You can analyze details of this using this spreadsheet here we provided from what launched May 6th with Uprising deployment, to this new one we are providing right now with all the updates here.

Aiming and control system in general: We have done a massive amount of updates to this area of the game with Uprising, laying an enhanced tech foundation for all of these systems to iterate on into the future, and of course, this has come with a lot of feedback as well in the days since Uprising deployment. We are aware of the issue that some players are experiencing “slippery” feel of aiming and general gameplay experience, and our team is carefully looking into tweaking controls schemes for both keyboard and mouse and the Dualshock controller. For example, we have made changes to the input settings on the mouse which should improve the smoothness and fine aiming. The new values are very similar to those in Chromosome (though not identical). Expect CCP Wolfman to have detailed discussions about this particular issue on the forums here. Again, there are updates to this going out right now as I type this.

Skill point progression: Based on your feedback we will be doing further adjustments to skill point requirements for specializations, which received a massive rework in Uprising along with the new node based visualization of the tech tree. Our plan is to address this by tweaking skill point requirements – and in that process reimburse you with the skill points that you’ve spent back to your unused skill pool. Additionally, we are planning an optional skill point respec of skill points to players via petitioning our game masters after this change occurs, in case some of you may not be completely satisfied with your original choices. We also believe that this will solve some dropsuit requirements that were changed in Uprising, giving you easier access to those items again. Details about changes to the skill point progress will be forthcoming when available, and we’ll provide an updated spreadsheet in advance of that (the previous one provided) here.

Vehicle skills, modules and balance: We are listening to your feedback in balancing heavy vehicle experiences. It is a delicate act which has us wanting them to be able to perform their intended “tank” role on the battlefield, while not being overpowered. Here’s a quick break down of some of the changes that are being introduced:
    Vehicle Balance
    In order to enable to vehicles to last longer in combat for more fun, enduring engagements we’ve increased hit point values for LAVs and HAVs accordingly.

Std & Militia HAVs - 25% more hp
    Enforcer HAVs - 60% more hp
    Militia LAVs - 60% more hp
    Std & Scout LAVs - 50% more hp
    Charybdis Logistics LAV - 70% more hp
    Limbus Logistics LAV - 40% more hp

CCP Blam! will be discussing the details on vehicle changes in this forum thread here along with more details about vehicle changes.

Logistics not being able to see revive icon at all times: We are working on making life easier for logistics players that use nanite injectors. We understand that indicators don’t show up unless a call for help is explicitly requested, which can make the role of the support player unnecessarily challenged. We are working on an update that will allow logistics players to see fallen team mates and differentiate those who have and have not called for revival. Once again, this is going live right now! Please let us know how it works for you over the weekend on the forums.

Matchmaking – we are working to put live an update to matchmaking on 5/14 that gets new players to play together, and keeps the vets and their proto gear away. For example: Entry to these battles will be limited by total warpoints earned per character and will prevent older players from joining. New players will not be presented with the existing instant battle queues however they can join a squad with veteran players and be pulled into other battles.
    Expect this change to hit TQ by next week and for more details from CCP Nullarbor you can go here.

We thank you for all your feedback that has been provided to us up to this point in Uprising, and are looking forward to more feedback from you with the CPM in our continued development of DUST 514 – now and into the future – in close collaboration with you, the users. As we bring Beta to a close on 5/14, we have all hands on deck to keep pushing updates and responding to your feedback. We sincerely thank you very much!

Good stuff!

Not for me I guess.

What specifically is causing you bewilderment?

Sokpuppet on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Not for me I guess.

How best to explain it?

Ignoring the interface and character selection/load screen, my games basically consisted of joining a random match, and ending up either alone against 3 or in groups of roughly 3-6 on either side,

Then I die to weapons that make funny noises, my interface keeps on throwing up text, then I die again. Sometimes I can respawn, sometimes not. And then the match ends.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's like they took the boring parts of Battlefield and put it in a Halo setting.

OTOH, this is coming from someone who couldn't do anything until he switched to the "Duty Calls" configuration.
    I will be spending the rest of the weekend earning double XP in CoD ... but I kind of want to get back into this next week.

[edit] I guess I would enjoy the game more if it had a Hardcore mode. (Less health, weapons do more damage.)
    As it is, I too often find myself sneaking up on someone, start attacking them ... and then I die.

Commodore75 on
    edited May 2013
    The good news is that on May 14th, every weapon in the game is receiving a 10% damage buff. This might not sound like much, but to put things in perspective the gap between a militia weapon and a prototype weapon is about 20%. Unless you're using a laser rifle, in which case the gap is 0%.

Edit: in other news, I just had an 11-1 round with my TY-5 breach scram.

Sokpuppet on
    The good news is that on May 14th, every weapon in the game is receiving a 10% damage buff. This might not sound like much, but to put things in perspective the gap between a militia weapon and a prototype weapon is about 20%. Unless you're using a laser rifle, in which case the gap is 0%.

Edit: in other news, I just had an 11-1 round with my TY-5 breach scram.

Thank god, I keep emptying my AR into proto suits and doing nothing. Also, I invested all my weapons SP into scrambler rifles because I like their aesthetic.

edited May 2013
    I dumped everything into scrambler pistols and biotics. I plan on petitioning for that optional reset so I can go back and snag proto suits, but I'm not exactly sure where the SP is going to come from.

Eyeballing numbers, I think many of the damage buffs have already gone live.

Edit: also this build is making me roll my eyes. I can't remember the last time I died to something without the word "duvolle" in it.

Sokpuppet on
    edited May 2013
    Isnt the 10% damage boost already in as a hotfix? I believe so.

Also, the other, cheaper TAC AR gets me tons of kills, the GUL or whetever? So Im shocked you dont see more of those on your kill feed. Then again I seem to be the only person not using proto gear, so maybe thats why.

But I also die far more to orbital strikes, snipers, forge guns or other 1 hit kill weapons than to any AR. Being a scout will do that to a fella.

How does the optional reset work? I didnt realize Gallante Light only have ONE slot for shield extenders at the proto level, where the mimitar has 4. I messed up big time. 4 shield extenders would make me a god, I would love to shift gears. I'm going to either way, the only question is if I just watsed that 400k or so SP on gallante. But I have zero idea why the proto has less of those slots than the advanced...

And whats the benifite of going to "specialized" suits? The suits themselves seem identical, is it simply for the skill that goes with it?

And Comahawk, i love the fact you went balls in on scramblers before they even were released. Im saving my SP to dump into them once I confirm they are as awesome as I expect. If not, AR Prof!

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    some of the specialized suits are identical to their baseline suits yah, but they're often cheaper, and the role bonus is better than nothing. so i'd call them a decent long term goal, but not something practical to rush.

unless you wanna be a logi, then you kinda gotta go logi. plus the logi role bonus' are some of the best ones.

Buzzwords wrote: »
    some of the specialized suits are identical to their baseline suits yah, but they're often cheaper, and the role bonus is better than nothing. so i'd call them a decent long term goal, but not something practical to rush.

unless you wanna be a logi, then you kinda gotta go logi. plus the logi role bonus' are some of the best ones.

This kind of pissed me off with the new patch. I play solely logi, and can't really play my role until I save up 1000k sp to get a basic logi suit. So right now, I'm running around trying to be of some use with only one equipment slot. I really wish CCP added something with two slots to the "basic" suits to at least bridge the gap a bit.

As it stands now, I don't see new players trying to become logis, the sp cost of starting is simply way too high.

edited May 2013
    Comahawk wrote: »

This kind of pissed me off with the new patch. I play solely logi, and can't really play my role until I save up 1000k sp to get a basic logi suit. So right now, I'm running around trying to be of some use with only one equipment slot. I really wish CCP added something with two slots to the "basic" suits to at least bridge the gap a bit.

As it stands now, I don't see new players trying to become logis, the sp cost of starting is simply way too high.

That's one reason I doubts about getting involved/invested in this game ... I don't want to spend hours upon hours finding out which builds aren't for me.
    I wish there was some way to try out different configurations/roles before spending my SP/ISK.
    Or a way to refund any SP I've spent. :(

Commodore75 on
    Comahawk wrote: »

That's one reason I doubts about getting involved/invested in this game ... I don't want to spend hours upon hours finding out which builds aren't for me.
    I wish there was some way to try out different configurations/roles before spending my SP/ISK.
    Or a way to refund any SP I've spent. :(

The only build that is really disadvantaged that way right now is the logi. Otherwise there are roughly similar low end setups for things such as assault, light, AV, etc.

they are talking about rebalancing the skillpoint cost of the specializations and refunding people the difference, but i dunno how dramatic a difference that will be, or when it's even coming.

edited May 2013
    soon(tm)

Edit: New weapons are interesting. Scrambler rifle is def really good. Not so sure about the plasma cannon. I can see it being used by new players to kill people in proto gear, but beyond that it's sort've an answer to a question nobody asked. Do heavies still get a light weapon slot instead of a sidearm slot? Haven't tried the flaylock. Don't expect I will.

Domination is bad. Really bad.

Sokpuppet on
    What is the problem with Dom? Seemed like itd be a good mix between ambush and skirmish. Less boring than skirmish, less chaotic than ambush.

I tried the scrambler rifle a little bit this morning before work. I liked it enough, but I cant see it being more than a niche weapon with how powerful the TAR is. The range on the scrambler is too low compared to the TAR. That being said, I can see situations where I would love it. I can also see how you would love it if your running around off radar jumping on folks. The charged shot on an unsuspecting foe would be huge.

Planetary Conquest starts today too, anyone in a corp big enough to participate? Me and my drinking buddies are sadly not even close.

616610-1.png
    i was kinda hoping for more range out of the "assault" scrambler rifles. i do like the dot sight on there though.

the normal scramblers have the range i need and the damage/RoF feels good enough, but it overheats like a sonofabitch. then if i slow down so as not to overheat, what's the point? i could just fire a TAC AR as fast as i want?

as for planetary conquest, my corp took 2, and our alliance took about 30, but nothing has really come of it yet.

edited May 2013
    Scrambler rifles have slightly better grouping, reload time, and are more effective against shields than ARs.
    Which is significant because armor tanking isn't terribly viable. The movement speed penalty is impossible to cope with.

That's the theory, anyway.

Sokpuppet on
    i battled a Heavy yesterday who mustve dropped a lot of catalyzers on his suit. He worked with another player to keep me pinned a bit as he sprinted towards me. I could sprint away a bit, but take fire from his buddy. His sprint speed was actually pretty impressive and eventually they killed me. I couldve won if I had been a slightly better shot, taking out his buddy who was pinning me, but it was a unique fight.

I later fought a proto heavy in an LAV. It reminded me of a boss fight from various games. I was running around using pillars and walls to avoid the LAV and run away when he hopped out to shoot at me. Then eventually my budyd came and blew up the LAV and we murdered him. Was a lot of fun.

And yeah, the big thing that makes scrambler rifles viable is the fact that armor tanked targets are usually very easy to unload a lot of shots on. Single shot, percision weapons are very easy to use on big, slow armor tanked units, so it offsets the damage reduction on them.

I find myself getting more assists with it though. Especially if I use the charged shot. But I also find it awesome for big group combat. As a scout I have trouble in the big blob on blob fights. I normally try to flank. But with the scrambler, i can charge up shots, pop out and fire them into crowds and do a ton of damage without exposing myself long. Each shot will either kill, assist a kill, or take a soldier out of the fight for a bit. The charge up time is only 2 seconds, so its pretty effective.

616610-1.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Not for me I guess.

How best to explain it?

Ignoring the interface and character selection/load screen, my games basically consisted of joining a random match, and ending up either alone against 3 or in groups of roughly 3-6 on either side,

Then I die to weapons that make funny noises, my interface keeps on throwing up text, then I die again. Sometimes I can respawn, sometimes not. And then the match ends.

This was about my experience when they opened up the beta to PS+ subscribers. I promptly shelved it and haven't bothered with it since.

I've thought about firing this up again. Have things improved or is still the bullshit learning cliff? Because I guess I really just want to shoot mans and fill bars.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    This game isnt the best if you just want to shoot mans and fill bars. If you dont get off on messing around with fittings and trying to get the most out of your "numbers" then it probably isnt for you. There are games that do shooting mans and filling bars a lot better.

616610-1.png
    Disrupter wrote: »
    This game isnt the best if you just want to shoot mans and fill bars. If you dont get off on messing around with fittings and trying to get the most out of your "numbers" then it probably isnt for you. There are games that do shooting mans and filling bars a lot better.

I wouldn't say that's the whole truth.
    it's not that the game isn't "n00b friendly", as much as it's "n00b hostile".
    Messing around with different configurations isn't really something the game encourages. It locks you down one path, and then you have to create a new char to try another route.

Personally I think the game can have a lot of potential, I'm just nott sure I'll ever get to experience it, or figure out which build/strat fits me.

It's almost like it's an EVE game, or something ...

edited May 2013
    You can actually have a lot of fun just min-maxing with Militia fits.
    I spent one entire build playing nothing but Militia fits, just building up my fitting and base skills. Did just fine.

Uprising has actually added a whole shit-ton of new Militia dropsuits with various module counts.

One thing everybody playing this game should try at least once is scout suit + kinetic catalyzer + SMG.
    It is crazy fun, if not terribly effective against protobros.

Sokpuppet on
    edited May 2013
    You can actually have a lot of fun just min-maxing with Militia fits.
    I spent one entire build playing nothing but Militia fits, just building up my fitting and base skills. Did just fine.

???
    And if you wanted to try putting more points into something else you'd be better off creating a new char.
    I'm not saying you can't have fun in the game. Or with different/specific builds.
    Just that the game isn't great at letting you find out what build suits you, or your different play-styles.

[edit]
    Me? I'd recommend people newcomers try the sniper fit.
    (And then try to keep their distance. And not engage until they find someone out in the open, without a chance to hide around a corner.)
    Just to get a feel for what the game can be like when you aren't getting killed every time you engage an enemy.

Commodore75 on
    CCP Remnant wrote:
    Hybrid (plasma) - assault rifle, plasma cannon, ion pistol (not yet released), shotgun
    Hybrid (railgun) - forge gun, sniper rifle, magsec SMG (not yet released), rail rifle (not yet released), bolt pistol (not yet released)
    Laser (beam) - laser rifle
    Laser (pulse) - scrambler pistol, scrambler rifle
    Projectile - SMG, HMG, combat rifle (not yet released), precision rifle (not yet released)
    Explosive - mass driver, swarm launcher, flaylock pistol

They sure have a lot of "not yet released" guns that all sound like they would be similar to the TAR.

Though the bolt pistol sounds a lot like a shotgun pistol if Halo 4 has taught me anything.

616610-1.png
    well, we had our first planetary conquest fight. it might have been a good match but 3 of my guys lagged out.

apparently this is not unique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZegcxtjWy8M&feature=youtu.be

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=78449

i mean, i don't wanna be the "LAG DID IT!" guy, but none of THEM disco'ed, and we still only lost by 5% so i can't help but feel robbed. sad panda...