As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

@anybody who wants to watch the footy while in melbourne

tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in PAX Australia
anybody outside of australia coming in for pax should definitely check out a game of AFL while they're in Melbourne. its the national australian game, and alot of fun to watch.
if you're thinking you might like to see a game, heres the game fixture for the PAX weekend:

North Melbourne Kangaroos vs. Carlton Blues at Etihad stadium on Friday night 7.50pm

St. Kilda Saints vs. Port Adelaide Power at Etihad stadium on Saturday night 7.40pm

Richmond Tigers vs. Fremantle Dockers at the MCG on Sunday afternoon at 1.10pm
(games at the 'G are the best games you can go to)

tokyodove on

• PsykarPsykar Programmer Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    MCG games are in theory the best, but the crowd for the game that weekend will be rather abysmal, given who's playing.
    If you want the atmosphere, the North Melbourne v. Carlton one would probably be best (both Melbourne teams)

• DaCrawDaCraw Registered User regular
    Saints and Port would be a good matchup, though, as would NM v Carlton. Both are likely to be somewhat onesided, but enjoyable.

---
  • Suntory_TimesSuntory_Times Registered User regular
    I wouldn't really call it the national game, it is more of a Victorian thing. Not my cup of tea but if one is into sports I would recommend given it a go.

• SandmanTechSandmanTech MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I'll already be at the Saints game, and I am sorting some passes out for my staff to attend. Might be too knackered through after 2 days on the stand.

And Suntory_Times - it is a more national game than any other football code. 1 game per state per weekend minimum.

I would highly recommend the Saints V Port game at Etihad Stadium, if only due to the stadium. Especially if it is a wet night, as it is a fully roofed stadium.

• BrunhildeBrunhilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I work at the MCG, I might sell you a hot dog at half-time. I'll be an enforcer at PAX though, so I might not work that weekend.

It's one of the 10 biggest stadiums in the world, so if you're a tourist, do check it out.

And I guess it's technically not the national game, only Vic/Tas/Sa/Wa/Nt, which is most of the country.

Brunhilde on
    anniversary-8.png
  • tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    you forgot qld :D and nobody gives a rats about canberra

tokyodove on
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    tokyodove wrote: »
    you forgot qld :D and nobody gives a rats about canberra

Not so much forgetting QLD as repressing all memory of its existence (shudder)
    And there's nothing wrong with Canberra once you've hit it with a giant Apple Corer :)

What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    I'm looking to show up for the Carlton NM match. The crowd should be the biggest of the weekend and hopefully the Blues should kick some Kanga butt.
    But seriously, anyone visiting Australia for the first time as mentioned you could do a lot worse than watch a game of Aussie Rules footy.

• rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    They've played matches in every state. They've even played a match in New Zealand not long ago!
    It really is the national sport. Victoria is just its home state.

The MCG is probably the best stadium to watch anything at though. I'll be going to the Liverpool match (yes, that's soccer football) on the Wednesday after PAX at that very stadium. I can not wait.

rith on
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    it's probably good for our international guests to go and check out but as an Australian, it's not really a sport i am into but still good for those to see what the Australian sporting culture is like.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • PsykarPsykar Programmer Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    rith wrote: »
    They've played matches in every state. They've even played a match in New Zealand not long ago!
    It really is the national sport. Victoria is just its home state.

The MCG is probably the best stadium to watch anything at though. I'll be going to the Liverpool match (yes, that's soccer football) on the Wednesday after PAX at that very stadium. I can not wait.

I guess you could call it the national sport in the fact that it's only played in Australia. (*grin* - sorry :P )
    I was intrigued to hear that Soccer actually holds the highest rate of participation in Australia - mainly due to all the footsal competitions and so forth I imagine.

I'm going to the Melbourne Victory v Liverpool game as well, should be good :)
    (But then I think you're rithmaster on twitter and I already knew this :P )

• D4M14ND4M14N Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't really call it the national game, it is more of a Victorian thing. Not my cup of tea but if one is into sports I would recommend given it a go.
    I would say it's an "anywere but NSW and QLD thing" it is bigger than rugby in WA, SA, VIC etc.

• rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    D4M14N wrote: »
    I would say it's an "anywere but NSW and QLD thing" it is bigger than rugby in WA, SA, VIC etc.
    Still, both those states have two teams each.
    Psykar wrote: »
    I'm going to the Melbourne Victory v Liverpool game as well, should be good :)
    (But then I think you're rithmaster on twitter and I already knew this :P )
    That's correct :P

rith on