As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Developers?

MattyG08MattyG08 Founder of The Core Gaming Australia || Indie Game DeveloperSouth Coast, NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in PAX Australia
Hey Folks!
Im definitely looking forward to PAX AUS, Im going to be taking a shot at getting a spot in the Indie Showcase.
Who else will be doing this? Or who is just an Indie Developer in general? I think it is a prime opportunity for Aussie Indie developers to be able to meet eachother in person and share ideas/opinions ect ect

anyway, Ill see you all there!

The Core Gaming Australia, Founder/CEO/Lead Programmer
MattyG08 on

• Options
    MrChadMrChad Game Designer/Researcher Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Aussie indie devs generally do tend to meet each other through events like IGDA meets, game jams (eg. GGJ), festivals (eg. Freeplay) and conferences (eg. GCAP). It gets harder to meet devs interstate on a regular basis, but we always have social media for that (Twitter is awesome!). There are still heaps of devs out there who haven't mingled around with the crowd, for those people my only suggestion would be to get out there and meet people :)

PAX Aus on the other hand will be a FANTASTIC opportunity for indie devs country wide to meet and interact with all the other game devs that come from overseas, and this is what I look forward to!

2013, why aren't you here already?!?

I make weird games..
    2YbLjhT.png
    Hovercade | Hovergarden
  • Options
    LukeWLukeW Indie Game Developer Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    I'm an Indie Game Developer from Melbourne, I'd love to meet up with some of you if you wish? :)

Luke Williamson
    Indie Game Developer
    www.LukeWill.com
  • Options
    MattyG08MattyG08 Founder of The Core Gaming Australia || Indie Game Developer South Coast, NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah MrChad, I totally agree. I am one of those Indie Developers who hasn't really spoken out much in the Community. ( On account of me being 16 and its hard to get around to Festivals and such @_@ ) I did go to the iFest In Canberra however.
    Anyway, if you guys have Skype add me : grantthesampgod
    Or contact me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Basil.Expidition?ref=tn_tnmn

• Options
    JaydenBJaydenB 2D & 3D Artist/Programmer/Co-Founder of Pathway Games Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    From Perth over here! I am definitely looking forward to coming to PAX to meet other developers, even if I only *truly* started development on my first title/first real game (outside of a jam) very recently. I really love the idea and direction I'm going with this, and hope I get accepted into the showcase because that would be great publicity. Hopefully I can get a working demo done by then.. (or better yet, the final game with less levels). I haven't reached out to the community much like MattyG08 simply because 1) I didn't realize there was one in Perth until I found our GlobalGameJam runners and 2) Because of my age of 16 :P Anyway something like that shouldn't stop me from trying to get my game in, or from communicating with other awesome Aussie/International developers at PAX next year. 2013 hurry up!

I make games an love doing it! Currently working on a 2D 3rd Person Stealth Game. And no that doesn't make sense, but it will when you see a preview ;)

YouTube: http://youtube.com/AtomicMonkeyPro (I don't upload anything to do with my games here)
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/JaydenBev (Neither here, but I'm gonna start soon)
    Dev-Blog: *Currently in the works!*
  • Options
    MattyG08MattyG08 Founder of The Core Gaming Australia || Indie Game Developer South Coast, NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Im actually working on 3 Projects simultaneously. It would be pretty cool to show all three of them off at PAX.. We will see

• Options
    skipgamerskipgamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Definitely looking forward to checking out the Indie Showcase, will be interesting to see if the quality of the Aus Indie scene can compare to the relatively massive NA/Canadian scene. Great opportunity to prove that it can more to the point :P

skipgamer on
  • Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I ran into some awesome Aussie indie Devs at PAX Prime, even if you don't get into the showcase or get some booth space in Expo, just getting into PAX, talking to attendees and other devs is a great opportunity to network. I've heard some rumblings from a local Perth dev of organising a meetup/drinks/coffee during the weekend to meet everyone.

• Options
    YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I wonder if the IGDA might do an event close to the show - like the Tuesday after or the Thursday before perhaps?

I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
    paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    an IGDA event sounds pretty sweet. Even during the event itself ( as it will cater for those on strict schedules for coming to and leaving melbourne )

• Options
    MrChadMrChad Game Designer/Researcher Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yug wrote: »
    I wonder if the IGDA might do an event close to the show - like the Tuesday after or the Thursday before perhaps?
    That's what usually happens with big festivals/events. Perhaps ping Giselle :)@jazzrozz
    Would be great to have interstates and internationals join us for an IGDA meet!

I make weird games..
    2YbLjhT.png
    Hovercade | Hovergarden
  • Options
    JaydenBJaydenB 2D & 3D Artist/Programmer/Co-Founder of Pathway Games Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    MrChad wrote: »
    Yug wrote: »
    That's what usually happens with big festivals/events. Perhaps ping Giselle :)@jazzrozz
    Would be great to have interstates and internationals join us for an IGDA meet!

I would probably see if I could catch up in a meetup if one is going on :P Inter-states, let's see if we could get to this thing! (If it ever happens :P)

I make games an love doing it! Currently working on a 2D 3rd Person Stealth Game. And no that doesn't make sense, but it will when you see a preview ;)

YouTube: http://youtube.com/AtomicMonkeyPro (I don't upload anything to do with my games here)
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/JaydenBev (Neither here, but I'm gonna start soon)
    Dev-Blog: *Currently in the works!*
  • Options
    Even without a IGDA meeting, us indie devs here can all meet up somewhere I bet! :D

• Options
    ValiusValius BrisbaneRegistered User new member
    I'd definitely be interested in perhaps meeting up with a lot of you Indie dev's because I'm currently in the middle of a Bachelor of Animation Degree at Qantm, PAX will be my first con that I'll be going to so It'd be great to meet a lot of other people who are doing what I hope to be doing soon too. :D

• Options
    Excellent, When we get closer to the con we can share contact details so we can all meet up ^_^

• Options
    ManFightDragonManFightDragon Victoria, AustraliRegistered User regular
    I just got my confirmation email that I will be an exhibitor at the Indie Pavilion at PAXAus 2013. I'm super psyched!

• Options
    What kind of game will you be showing off? and what platform

• Options
    The PC build of the game I'm making over at www.manfightdragon.com

• Options
    Excellent, good to see a PC developer in Australia for once.. Im really resentful with all this mobile platform the devs are doing nowdays'

• Options
    cassulcassul Registered User new member
    I will be going to PAX from Perth as well. Will hopefully be getting a booth as the game I'm helping with is in its beta atm. I'm a first time poster here so I'm not sure if it is against the forum rules to link a trailer for the game. If it's allowed please say so and I'll link it. Thanks all.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2013
    You can put links to your personal/professional projects in your signature. The rules section of the forums gives a general guideline on "don'ts"

If you end up being a registered exhibitor for PAX, you can post here saying what you'll be showing and such, but I would say that trailers and whatnot are still on the wrong side of the "personal promotion" line.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Well, based on what zerzhul said, if it's okay to link this due to being confirmed a registered indie gamedev exhibitor, I'd like to introduce you all to the game I'll be showing at PAXAus: www.blackannex.net

I hope you'll all come and check it out!

• Options
    gotnullgotnull Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    I released a demo version of my game to AIS. Looking forward to meeting some local Indie Developers! Bring on PAXAus 2013!

• Options
    AdVISIONAdVISION Registered User new member
    Me too!

Your game looks excellent, gotnull - I'm sure you'll be in!

Not long to go now...

• Options
    wanderthegamewanderthegame Wander Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    We've got a booth in the indie pavilion for our game, Wander. www.wanderthegame.com We've entered the AIS as well, so hopefully it's Black Annex, GotNull and Wander in the AIS. :) It's a collaborative, non-combat, non-competitive game for Mac, Linux and Windows.

http://www.wanderthegame.com Wander: collaborative , non-combat, non-competitive game for Mac, Linux and Windows. Apply to alpha test.
    http://twitter.com/wandergame
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136830410 Wander on Steam Greenlight
  • Options
    BeastsFuryBeastsFury NSWRegistered User new member
    Hi all new to making video games me and a small group of friends are making a 2D fighting game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUglW9JnbN4
    Sadly i missed out on buying tickets for Pax Australia i really wanted to go.

• Options
    midomido Registered User new member
    Hi guys, an indie dev here. I also sent a beta version of my game for AIS. It's a puzzle platformer game called Spectrum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YsWGkjeES8

• Options
    tanoshiikitanoshiiki Registered User regular
    AIS winners are out - http://aus.paxsite.com/ais

• Options
    Im really excited to see all the indie devs at PAX, I have a BYOC pass aswell, I don't have a booth but I may be able to show some of you some progress on our project.
    High octane post-apocalyptic FPS

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Sup ya'll. Am indie dev, Melbourne. Just won an AIS spot! Woo.

• Options
    tanoshiikitanoshiiki Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Sup ya'll. Am indie dev, Melbourne. Just won an AIS spot! Woo.
    Congrats! My friends at Kumobius have won a spot too!

Now, if only I could figure how to get access...

• Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    I've been hearing a bit about black annex lately and funnily enough i know the person that's behind writing the QBASIC variant: QB64 that the game uses (we just happen to be doing the same web development course).

I was speaking to them towards the end of last week as they expressed interest in attending PAX AUS in order to help push the game and QB64 in general though they said it wasn't looking like it would be the case (from what I have gathered the dev doesn't want them).

So if there's any way to get them in cos they're interested in attending then that would be cool: i believe they go by the name of Galleon on the official QB64 forum.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    The Indie selection process by GDAA is closed and Im pretty sure the PAX Selection is over. the only way they could get in would be if they bought space on the floor for a stall.

Or you could try and beg PAX Aus for an extra Indie booth, Im not sure..

• Options
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    I've been hearing a bit about black annex lately and funnily enough i know the person that's behind writing the QBASIC variant: QB64 that the game uses (we just happen to be doing the same web development course).

I was speaking to them towards the end of last week as they expressed interest in attending PAX AUS in order to help push the game and QB64 in general though they said it wasn't looking like it would be the case (from what I have gathered the dev doesn't want them).

So if there's any way to get them in cos they're interested in attending then that would be cool: i believe they go by the name of Galleon on the official QB64 forum.

Galleon has actually been discussing this with me directly (we talk regularly). I told him that I wanted to focus on the game, rather than the technical side of things at PAXAus. He seemed happy with this. I get enough attention in the media for the QBASIC aspect of things and I'd like to take the opportunity at PAXAus to move away from that.

• Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular

Galleon has actually been discussing this with me directly (we talk regularly). I told him that I wanted to focus on the game, rather than the technical side of things at PAXAus. He seemed happy with this. I get enough attention in the media for the QBASIC aspect of things and I'd like to take the opportunity at PAXAus to move away from that.

fair enough, though he told me this morning that if he was on board he could have at least help optimize QB64 and make the game run better. but oh well.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    BrunhildeBrunhilde Registered User regular
    Valius wrote: »
    I'd definitely be interested in perhaps meeting up with a lot of you Indie dev's because I'm currently in the middle of a Bachelor of Animation Degree at Qantm, PAX will be my first con that I'll be going to so It'd be great to meet a lot of other people who are doing what I hope to be doing soon too. :D

Same, finishing up my Bachelor of Games Design and Development, looking forward to meeting the indie developers and asking them lots of annoying questions about what they are doing. Not too optimistic about getting a decent developer job soon after graduation (games or no) so I plan on focusing on my personal development projects more after October.

anniversary-8.png
  • Options
    fair enough, though he told me this morning that if he was on board he could have at least help optimize QB64 and make the game run better. but oh well.

He's actually been helping me a lot over email, but we're not going to sit down at PAX and do development there. It's not the place for it.

• Options
    YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just saying ...
    969266_584333738267937_457052862_n.jpg

This is 28 local aussie indie developers that will be in an area called the Indie Pavilion.

This is on top of the AIS winners who have seperate booths.

Not to mention the other developers with seperate spaces (like Halfbrick).

So yeah ... there's quite a bit of support for the local scene at PAX Aus :)

paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Haha, that's really awesome.

Man Fight Dragon won't actually be in the pavilion now that I'm in the AIS, though. Not sure if that really matters, though.

ManFightDragon on
  • Options
    Dammit! I knew I missed something, will update tomorrow :)

paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    While you're at it, I know Checkbox Studios prefer to trade as Pub Games for these things