As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thedandmom 2013 (new pieces as of 12/30/2013 on page 2)

thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in Artist's Corner
Posting some of my works so far from this year. Will also put more posts of artwork from this year in this thread.

60_zpsfcbd58fc.jpg Latest page of my webcomic (which you can check out by clicking the picture)
jsavagefaeries_zpsdad5e68c.jpg
shipmage_zps0fd5ce53.jpg
buccaneer_zpsa4a0bf90.jpg
easter2013_zps6a9daa80.jpg
scrollraiderdarkeredit_zps43199c7d.jpg
aliens_zpsc6cc7221.jpg

All the piraty looking images are for a game that I'm doing the artwork for called Conquering Corsairs.

linkbanner.jpg
thedandmom on

• oroborosoroboros Registered User regular
    Really awesome stuff..My only tip would be to not forget to flip your canvas when doing head studies..Some of them are a little assymetrical or skewed, I use that canvas flip trick to give myself a new perspective.

• thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    Yeah. I was doodling when i was doing those for a quick reference for a game. Normally I do try to flip the canvas to make sure they're looking okay.

linkbanner.jpg
    mistwalker-3_zpsb5a29893.jpg
    quartermaster-1_zpse887c92f.jpg
    A couple more images from the game i'm working on. Also as a note. All this pirate stuff will be under CC come this summer for reuse.

linkbanner.jpg
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I'm confused as to what is happening on that comic page.

Panel 1: Guy is looking through a crack in a door.

Panel 2: POV of what guy is looking at.

Panel 3: Girl spins around?

Then it looks like they shoot the robot in the head. But whose hand is that? And who is holding that gun? Did they kick the door open and surprise the robot? Some establishing shots would help.

Your sound effects could use some work. They look handwritten, which is fine, but they offer no contrast against your dialogue. They also don't enhance the sound they are imitating. I would expect "Click" and "Bzz" to look very different against each other. Right now, the sound effects look like an afterthought.

Not sure why your word balloons are black with white text. Usually that's reserved for a character that might have a dark or spooky voice.

Watch the order of your word balloons. It's not too bad on this page, although "nod" comes before "Your ready?". Remember that people read left to right and top to bottom. The order of your panels and your balloons should reflect this.

Thanks for that. Yeah i can see what you're saying. It's been a while since I've gotten to do some pages, bit rusty. Thanks for the pointers.

linkbanner.jpg
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I think this shows a lot of promise. I am more attracted to you colors than line though.
    Do you have NON anime stuff we could see? Im sure you've heard it before, but learning real anatomy will make your anime stuff even stronger.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    So on turn arounds.

The top of the head lines up, but the rest of the features do not. The eyes mouth nose are all lower on the right model, where on the left everything is elevated. A simple way to avoid this when doing different angles is to establish guidelines on the paper where certain features are supposed to line up. @iruka has a good example of this, I just can't seem to find it.
    aliens_zps8ce47144.jpg

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    All your material looks incredibly stiff. Maybe do some studies of cloth and clothing to see how to make it fall more naturally.

Draw an egg.
    I tend to lean more towards the cartoony as of late (the project I'm working on is for a game meant for younger audience) and also I got my start in doing very crappy anime drawings.
    ylvasketch_zps1dc1ed85.jpgicetrollboat_zps391f0dd3.jpggirraffe_zpsa68e8fb8.jpglexxy_zpsb709b4d8.jpgcabinboy_zps2f33180e.jpgreef_zps669184ad.jpghipsterzombie_zps11ade54d.jpgrokasketch_zpsbff4684c.jpgsam_reference_sheet_by_thedandmom-d5thm34.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm really digging both of the last two! Your stuff has so much personality in it, I love it. :D

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I love your use of color

Thanks for the comments all. I don't have much new that I can share yet, but here is a shirt design that I did over the last couple days.

rdfulllarge_zpsac6a685e.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
    sisterstilltheend.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Okami meets Secret of Kells.

• MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    I love the character of this last one. My only real crit is that the redhead warrior's pose seems off to me, it almost looks as if she is falling rather than running. There is something about her right shoulder that I think is causing a lot of it, the way it's attached makes me think her torso is uncomfortably twisted. Maybe if it was moved further into the background, perhaps having her hair drape over it?

PS Also, the baby giraffe up above is the cutest thing I've seen all week!

edited May 2013
    @ m3nace- I wasn't thinking that....but now i can't unsee it.

@ muddy parisol-Her body is twisted in a kind of weird way...so yeah it looks a bit off.

thedandmom on
    linkbanner.jpg
    Today's RPG Artist's Challenge was Monster Girl At The Beach.
    beachtime.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
    edited May 2013
    clean_zpscc816fc7.jpg Here is a tshirt design that i'm working on for my webcomic.

thedandmom on
    linkbanner.jpg
    circus_zpse7e50eec.png And another. I have one more that I'm working on, still trying to figure out what it will look like.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    In the rainbow dash, it took me a minute to find her right rear leg. The tangent makes it disappear. I like the idea (and her hair) though.

For Rudo Family Circus, I feel like there are too many colors in the wings. I thought there might be some symmetry, but despite the left wing's middle feather color being the right wing's main, the right wing's middle feather isn't the left wing's main color - it's just a new tone. Then the arrowhead beneath being the yellow of the profile backlighting seems random. I think it would be stronger if the wings colors were simpler:

QUZFVwU.png

eBpG70U.png

Depending on what color the shirt is, you may need a color behind "The", it kind of got lost when I put it on near black.

Yeah that one i'm still tinkering around with to get it right. Might end up scrapping it and starting over. I have one other design i have to do for a robotics company as well. Gotta make the designs as strong as I can for my upcoming kickstarter so people will actually go after them.

linkbanner.jpg
    Been working on some more stuff.
    ihavenoideawhatimcdxsdoing_zps2acf8445.jpg
    smuggler_zps23a63787.jpg
    kayvsmotherwyrm_zps3064bd42.jpg
    runecrafter_zps0145ca1b.jpg
    sorcerer_zps95d22900.jpg
    oarsman_zps5ee3f4a6.jpg

Also I just got my site back up. I had taken it down to redo the layout. It's one hot looking site now. experiment073.com

linkbanner.jpg
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You're lighting is really all over the place, and your coloring applications can be a little messy at time, ruining what is some pretty clean and confident line work. I would slow way down on it, and simplify your lighting schemes. Perhaps do some grayscale studies before launching into full color?

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I really love your artwork, I remember you from Lexxy's streams it's really wonderful I like all it it's really great <3

@Iruka- Yes they aren't the best coloring and the lighting may seem weird, however, in order to be even able to see them as a tiny playing card (like an mtg card) I had to keep things lit up so all the dark didn't just blend in in printing.

@miaAusa-Thanks, I'm glad you like my stuff.

linkbanner.jpg
    I can see the lighting thing, but I still feel like overall, a smoother stroke/more careful application would really benefit you. Your lines are nice and crisp, and it seems like you are caught between blending/cell shading. Its really little things that take something from looking sloppy to perfect, and its annoying, but the trained eye can see them super quickly. Like on this one:
    sam_reference_sheet_by_thedandmom-d5thm34.jpg

Things are looking good, but then I see the sorta smushy coloring on the belt pockets where they aren't quite rendered to the lighting scheme, and some blips of color spilling out over there lines here or there. They are tiny nit picky details, but I think that its worse to be just a hair from very clean than it is to be painterly. The flats on the same page, for instance, look great. It just seems like when it comes to rendering you may not be taking your time.

samnobackground_zpsb0269a80.jpg
    I agree with you, it's something that I need to work on.

Also here is a shaded version I had done of that one (not the greatest) I just didn't include the shading layer in the character sheet.

linkbanner.jpg
    aveline-2.jpg
    Actually, this is a fanart I did for work that I think is especially well done.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I like the nun and the rowing ghoul, haha. That'd be frustrating.

The girl in the vest running from bugs looks very unbalanced as far as running goes. Her weight is so far forward it looks like a yoga/wushu move, or the Charleston. I get that she might be ducking a little, but the extremely pointed toe of her left foot is making it look less like running. You could probably sell me on that, but on her right foot there is so much sole showing she'd have to have had her ankle broken to twist it like that.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I think you could really benefit from some value studies.
    Case in point: a greyscale of the flame magician/gypsy girl reveals that the fire looks more like smoke...
    HzFp1oS.png
    Here you have some clear light sources which you can work with though, but in others the light is all over the place. Try greyscaling your stuff as you go along and see if the lighting looks right, sometimes that's all it takes. You could also try drawing entirely in grey scale to get a feel for lighting.

Yeah I agree that her foot looks really off and I didn't really notice until after. It's the background for my website though and that part gets covered up by content so I don't see it too much. Looks awesome with a purple overlay behind the latest comic page.

The Rune Crafter is one of said cards I was talking about. I can see where you're saying things need to be lighter in some areas though (like said fire)

linkbanner.jpg
    troubles.jpg
    Here is a doodle i finished last night. Zelda's leg is a bit off but it was giving me some serious troubles.

linkbanner.jpg
    Its a bit stunted, proportion wise, Actually both of their legs seem a little short.

Looooove it, though. the concept is great.

Was my husband's idea. He's going to be running the idea as a FATE Core game in a few weeks.

linkbanner.jpg
  • kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    Like others said, your drawing fundamentals and linework is solid (monster girl at the beach has some reaaaallly clean lines), as seems to be the case for people who start out with drawing animu, I'm envious as hell, since I can't do lines for the life of me.

I think 2d is your comfort zone, and your lighting might not have received as much attention, it shows. I'd actually advise you to just paint some objects in a normally lit environment, and focus on getting the lighting right. Don't even draw any lines, just block that shit in. I really do think that'll get you forward in the best way, cause if you could apply sound lighting principles to your lineart, you'd be sitting pretty.

Yeah, i know. I wish I had more time to actually practice and apply these things. As of right now, I'm raising two kids (ages 2 and a half and the other 10 months) and I've got my hands full. When I do get time to draw, It's normally a doodle to get into drawing mode and then the buttload of commissions that I'm in the middle of working on.

linkbanner.jpg
    Also, I give some credit to of my clean lines to my drawing program. I freaking love SAI.

linkbanner.jpg
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    i love the zelda link biker pic it's amazing

been super busy. Here is a little quick doodle I did. BN9W_UYCUAAL7Jk.jpg

linkbanner.jpg
    sailormoonlines_zps2d9d8474.jpg A sailor moon I'm working on.

linkbanner.jpg