As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Soul Calibur II

Ice1903Ice1903 Registered User regular
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
What console will this game be held on for the tournament?

' I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle '
Ice1903 on

• Options
    SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Im guessing all 3, maybe a different tourny for each console?

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited April 2004
    In all likelyhood, XBOX using S Controllers, although you'd be able to bring whatever controller you would like.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    I hope it is on Xbox, otherwise it would just be a disgrace to play it on anything else, especially GC.

Ice1903 on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited April 2004
    Ice1903 wrote:
    I hope it is on Xbox, otherwise it would just be a disgrace to play it on anything else, especially GC.
    Hey, fuck you. Just because the controller set up is different doesn't mean it's bad. It's just a matter of using the shoulder buttons for throws instead of the B. Namco did a fantastic job of mapping the GC-controller.

Arcade stick rules everything, though. I'd prefer to see those there then anything else.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Hey man I wasn't trying to pick a fight here, I just wanted to point out the fact that the game did get Discontinued on one platform and is still in production on the other...

Ice1903 on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited April 2004
    Ice1903 wrote:
    Hey man I wasn't trying to pick a fight here, I just wanted to point out the fact that the game did get Discontinued on one platform and is still in production on the other...
    ???

SCII sold worst on Xbox, while the GC version sold best (http://cube.ign.com/articles/475/475106p1.html). But yeah, we're getting off topic... This is something that should be discussed in G+T.

Question for Gabe if he happens to read this: If Soul Calibur II is there, and there isn't arcade sticks, would we be able to bring some of our own? I have a cool universal console stick I like to take everywhere, so...

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    SC2 will on X-Box, but you can use whatever you want, so long as you bring your own converter (they aren't providing any).

I volunteered to help run this, so I also get to set the rules. :D So here they are.

Format is double elimination
    Entry fee: FREE!!!! (Not counting the PAX entry fee, of course)
    Standard VS mode
    Default health
    Random stage select
    Timer is set to 50 seconds, Neutral Guard is left on
    Best of 5 rounds
    Best of 3 games, best of 5 games for semi-finals, best of 5 or best of 7 for finals (haven't decided yet)
    Spawn and Necrid are banned
    Assassin, Berserker, and Lizardman are allowed, but Lizardman's command throw glitch is BANNED (the throw itself is still legal)
    Winner must keep character, loser can change character if they wish

If you pause the game during a match FOR ANY REASON (asside from some kind of serious emergency, obviously), you won't be disqualified, but you WILL lose the round. If that costs you the match, oh well. There is NO reason to pause the game mid-match because you can check that shit at the character select screen. Same rule applies if you reset the game as well.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Sweet.

Ice1903 on
  • Options
    feelmeupfeelmeup Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    1. Soul Calibur 2 was best on Gamecube. You can ask anybody who has played it on all three systems and is familiar with all three controllers or used an arcade stick.
    2. Most tournements don't allow the use of Berserker, Lizardman, or Assasin. Mainly because they are heavily beafed up versions of Astaroth, Cassandra or Sohpitia(not sure on that one), and Yungsung.

I don't mind either way. Anybody who plays the game enough knows their flaws and how to exploit them. I guess I just kinda felt like rambling and defending my poor little Gamecube.

...poor little guy..... :|

feelmeup on
    Add me to XBL. Gamertag junkboxprime.
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Most tournements don't allow the use of Berserker, Lizardman, or Assasin. Mainly because they are heavily beafed up versions of Astaroth, Cassandra or Sohpitia(not sure on that one), and Yungsung.

All 3 are now tourney legal, and have been for a little while now.
    Soul Calibur 2 was best on Gamecube. You can ask anybody who has played it on all three systems and is familiar with all three controllers or used an arcade stick.

Uhm, from a technical standpoint, GC is really good, but it has the worst stick support by far. X-Box technically has crappy stick support, but it's way easier to find a working PS2->X-Box adapter that's compatable with arcade sticks than a similar adapter for GC. Right now, every major tourney besides MLG and V-Games use the PS2 version.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    feelmeup wrote:
    Most tournements don't allow the use of Berserker, Lizardman, or Assasin. Mainly because they are heavily beafed up versions of Astaroth, Cassandra or Sohpitia(not sure on that one), and Yungsung.

Not quite. They are heavily beefed, but they are the characters removed in SC2 that were in SC1. Berserker = Rock, Lizardman = Lizardman (duh), Assassin = Hwang.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Actually, Assassin seems to have a lot of Yunsung's moves as well (he's just like Hong, but good!!!), and Liz seems to be almost 30-40% Cass now.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    EarendilEarendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    The timing of SC2 I never was able to pick up easily...I wish I could "play" with all you folks, but I don't get that game at all, or rather, the timing. ;)

Earendil on
    13819img1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Pick Xianghua and just use her 4 best moves. You're set.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2004
    Really wish you'd use the PS2 version.

edit: Simply because the controller layout is PERFECT for fighting games (except Street Fighter).

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2004

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2004

That's not up to me, and I'm assuming it'll be on X-Box because MS is help sponsoring it. But I myself have a working PS2->X-Box adapter, and could probably provide some more. If that's not sufficient, then post up why you'd prefer PS2.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Zig21 wrote:

That's not up to me, and I'm assuming it'll be on X-Box because MS is help sponsoring it. But I myself have a working PS2->X-Box adapter, and could probably provide some more. If that's not sufficient, then post up why you'd prefer PS2.
    1) Controllers are perfect.
    2) Great playability-to-pretty ratio.
    3) Heihachi isn't as cheesy as Spawn nor as cheap as Link.

Unless MS is sponsoring a shitload of stuff and doing giveawyas too, I don't see why you can't use the PS2.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    1) Then just buy an adapter. Costs around $10.
    2) Technically, PS2 is inferior in this regard to both GC and X-Box.
    3) Hei is a cheese-fest, probably more so than Spawn, and Link is probably the worst character in the game. None of this matters, though, 'cause they would be banned regarldess of what version is used.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    switchstanceswitchstance Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    I'm not playing if it's on the Xbox. The game was way better on the GC and I can't stand the Xbox controls. Would it be too hard to have it for both?

switchstance on
    test1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    I'm not playing if it's on the Xbox. The game was way better on the GC and I can't stand the Xbox controls. Would it be too hard to have it for both?
    I too will not participate if the only version available is the Xbox version. I'm not going to shell out any money for an adapter I'll use once.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited April 2004

Sorry, but that's just not gonna happen. Even on GC, you're still going to alienate lots of people. At least X-Box is easier for PS2 players to adapt to than GC.

I wish there was a way to appease everyone, but there isn't. Besides, it's not like SC2 is execution-heavy anyways. At worse, you can pick Xiang and win with just 3 buttons.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    switchstanceswitchstance Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Well, I'm going to get my ass handed to me then, but it's all in good fun.

switchstance on
    test1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Just as a remeinder, the tournies themselves are free. Assuming you paid the entry fee for PAX itself, it's not like you stand to lose anything by entering.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    feelmeupfeelmeup Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    The last SC2 tourny I was in, they turned off nuetral guard. I was very angry. :x And they allowed the use of Hiehaci. But umm....thats all I have. Later.

feelmeup on
    Add me to XBL. Gamertag junkboxprime.
  • Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Use the Dreamcast version.

Fall on
  • Options
    Mouse RecoilMouse Recoil Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    dreamcast4prez :D

though I didn't know they released sc2 on dc...

Mouse Recoil on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2004
    Meh, I don't see why everyone cares what console is used so much. It's a fun game, and it'll be a fun tourney as long as no-one gets too emotional.
    Just go and have fun!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Aevii_Aevii_ Registered User new member
    edited April 2004
    Yenner, I'm guessing it's because some of us are more accustomed to the controls of one console than another.

Although I play my old SC2 import on the Game Cube, I use the Stick Cubes from HORI (think big, fat, Capcomesque) and would be at a loss should I actually have to use a GC controller.

On that note, I'd be happy to bring them in if someone really wants to get a GC SC2 game going. As it is, I have a lot of practice to do.

Aevii_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    There will probably be multiple PS2 Hori's there, and Kick in Northgate sells an X-Box adapter that works just fine with sticks for $10.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    I play SCII on the PS2, so if the button layout is the same I should be okay.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    TheMountieTheMountie Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    actually i almost pray they have it on xbox.
    Ziggy-2-dope, were you planning on banning the clock stage?
    cuz on ps2, that stage is fucked up.
    3P costums banned? y/n? 5 seconds to initiate command.

oh, do you know if there are prizes and all that jazz?
    cuz...i want something to play for, cuz unlike last tourny, 80 bucks just didnt seem enough.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Tyler-Yup, there are prizes, just like at the Lanwerx PA event. This time, though, it's supposed to be even better.^^

Seeing as how it's on X-Box, 3p costumes should be fine. I dunno about Clock, though. Any idea if that's better on X-Box?

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Hmm, well i dont see any slow down on xbox. Ever.
    but im sure if we did like..Ivy 2P and Ivy 3P there might be something.
    tho the odds of that happening are...rare.
    since im Ivy 3P god.
    Shouldnt be a problem unless Reldan rolls out, since he plays 2P ivy.

oh...what about Extra VS? like, not the shitty weapons, but the stages? some of those stages are pretty cool, like the cage and the elementals.

TheMountie on
    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    You know, I was only introduced to the game about a year ago on the arcade cabinet, and got very used to Ivy with the classic stick control. However, I rented the game for my X-Box not too long ago (being financially incapable of buying it) and got very used to that configuration for the characters I use most often. Nowadays my friend leaves his GC over at my place, and I've found that it's just as easy to get accustomed to that control as it is any of the others. If there's a minute to set up your preferred button setting before the match begins, I can't see why anybody should be complaining. It's easy enough to adapt between the different controller types, and all controllers combined with the free setting provide a versatility that should appease anybody. I can't stand the GC controller, but I can definitely hold my own.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    *Afterthought* But the universal joystick is the penultimate device for layin' down some smack.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    The universal joystick is a great waste of money.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Yes, yes it is. That's why I use my buddy's. *Grin*

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    And looks great after you run over it.
    several times.
    maybe twice as many times than that.
    twice as hard, and half as soft.

TheMountie on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    man fuck the xbox version. everyone ive talked to thats played all 3 has said the GC version was the best.

Grath on
This discussion has been closed.