As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Time Wars: JUMP 10 - America loses the war (mafia victory)

ObiFettObiFett Use the ForceAs You WishRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Critical Failures
Time Wars
Watchmen2-21.JPG

Scenario

In the year 2358, the Earth is engaged in what will eventually be known as the Time Wars. Losing a massive conflict with a Coalition consisting of the Asian Empire and Mediterranean Ascendancy, America attempts to travel back in time and win through past course correction. The goal was to return to the beginning of the war and eliminate the major players that had been responsible for America's current situation. The time travel technology worked, but not how originally intended. Instead, Earth is thrown into an anomaly that jumps time on Earth to random points during the war. Only specific people are aware of the time jump as their memories of previous jumps are left in tact. Realizing they have the knowledge to change the past and future, these people started taking action to shape the timeline how they saw fit. The Time Wars officially began.

Game Overview

Genre: Village v Mafia. Read this thread for more information about how Phalla, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia, is played. If this is your first game, it will be informative to visit the linked topic for some background information.

Special Notes

ObiPhalla Twist:
From here on out the time period between vote closes will be called a JUMP. The game has a 8 DAY cycle. After every vote close, the game will be JUMP to a future or past DAY in the game. As long as a player is alive on the current DAY, they can change their orders. Dead players may not change their orders. There is temporary and permanent death in this game. Temporary death will not reveal alignment and the player may come back to life if the cause of their death is changed in a future JUMP. Permanent death is removal from the game completely and alignment will be revealed. Players' who are permanently dead will still have their orders carried out during future or past DAYs but have no chance of being returned to the game to participate in future JUMPs.

Voting

People with significant impact in the outcome of the timeline (all players) have the ability to remove someone from the time anomaly. As such, there will be regular votes to determine who the majority thinks is best for removal. Vote for the player who you find most suspicious in bold red. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be removed from the anomaly and unable to post in future JUMPS or communicate with any players. Should there be a tie in the vote, then all players involved in the tie will be eliminated, as well as the player that instigated the tie, whether that be due to a vote being placed or a vote being removed. If the vote winner is eliminated before the vote is resolved, there will be no "trickle down".

Voting will close each day at 10PM PDT | 11PM MDT SHARP; any votes before the hour (x:59) will count, any votes on the hour and later (x:00) will not.

Orders

If you have orders, they need to be submitted before vote close. I would prefer if you submit your orders by responding to your role PM.

Signing Up

Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged.

Signups will be open until I feel like starting the game.

Inactivity

It is expected that players make at least two posts and make a vote.. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day overall. If there are no replacements available, then the player will be eliminated from the game.

Clarifications

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.

Other Rules

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to preexisting private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

All proboards must be linked to the host and all conversations must have the host included.

Sample Villager PM
You play a Pivotal Role for America in the Time Wars. You could be a soldier on the battlefield, a politician making important policy decisions, or a regular person at the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time. Regardless of the decisions you make/have made/will make/will be given the opportunity to make, you affect the outcome of the war in a way no one will ever predict. And since you exist in the anomaly, with a full recollection of all previous timelines, you can make the best decision with the information you have/will have. Additionally and without explanation, you are part of a decision making process that removes other people from the anomaly, rendering them unable to remember anything but the current timeline and therefore without power or cause to change their decisions. You do this through your ECHOING VOTE.

ECHOING VOTE: Once per JUMP you can vote for a player in bold red to be removed from the anomaly. Every following JUMP that exists on a DAY when you are dead (permanent or temporary) your ECHOING VOTE will again be cast against the person you last voted for with this power as long as they are not permanently dead.

Wincon: JUMP to a DAY when all the pivotal enemies of America are dead (temporary and/or permanent)

ObiFett on

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Clarifications
    Spoit wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Added the vanillager role to the OP:

You play a Pivotal Role for America in the Time Wars. You could be a soldier on the battlefield, a politician making important policy decisions, or a regular person at the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time. Regardless of the decisions you make/have made/will make/will be given the opportunity to make, you affect the outcome of the war in a way no one will ever predict. And since you exist in the anomaly, with a full recollection of all previous timelines, you can make the best decision with the information you have/will have. Additionally and without explanation, you are part of a decision making process that removes other people from the anomaly, rendering them unable to remember anything but the current timeline and therefore without power or cause to change their decisions. You do this through your ECHOING VOTE.

ECHOING VOTE: Once per JUMP you can vote for a player in bold red to be removed from the anomaly. Every following JUMP that exists on a DAY when you are dead (permanent or temporary) your ECHOING VOTE will again be cast against the person you last voted for with this power as long as they are not permanently dead.

Wincon: JUMP to a DAY when all the pivotal enemies of America are dead (temporary and/or permanent)

Would the votes from permanently eliminated players be locked in for the days that they were alive to vote in, or would they be voided?
    Votes from permanently eliminated players will be locked in for all future JUMPS as long as the player they voted for is also not permanently eliminated.

Thralls, Millers, Conversions?
    I always CD this because if it exists in the game I wouldn't want people to know and if it doesn't I still like the threat of it to inform decisions. That being said, I think millers and thralls are normally bad ideas, so I almost never use them. If there are millers and thralls in this game, it is because I have explicitly designed the game to accommodate them.

SLyM wrote: »
    What happens if there is a tie created entirely by dead people?
    Echoing Votes happen before any non-dead player has the chance to vote. So the only way dead people could be responsible for tying the vote would be if no living players voted during a JUMP. Which would be a very bad thing for the living players to do.

SLyM wrote: »
    6 dead people vote for X, 6 dead people vote for Y, no living player votes for either X or Y and no one else has more than 5 votes, what happens
    Ah, good point.

The player who cast the tying Echoing Vote (most recent vote according to JUMP) would be removed from the Anomaly (permanent death), as would player X and Y.

Initial Sign-ups
    1 - Megafrost
    2 - Kilnaga
    3 - SLyM
    4 - Assuran
    5 - Mikey CTS
    6 - Capfalcon
    7 - Auralynx
    8 - enlightenedbum
    9 - kime
    10 - INANTP
    11 - Invictus
    12 - romanqwerty
    13 - Iron Weasel
    14 - jdarksun
    15 - Anialos
    16 - Phyphor
    17 - cesareB
    18 - premium
    19 - The Anonymous
    20 - Mill
    21- TheRoadVirus
    22 - JPants
    23 - SeGaTai
    24 - Zonugal
    25 - MrBlarney
    26 - Flarne
    27 - Smasher
    28 - Lucedes
    29 - Zombie Hero
    30 - Locus
    31 - Gizzy
    32 - Retaba
    33 - Ronrab
    34 - Langly
    35 - Bedlam
    36 - tzeentchling
    37 - Cythraul
    38 - 38thDoe
    39 - Spoit

Reserves:
    1 -

Results

JUMP 1
    AuraLynx, Ambassador Nnamani - Consensus

JUMP 2
    Anialos, Major and/or General Gibson - Consensus
    MrBlarney, Dr. Kent - Rénmín de yìzhì
    Langly, Stratigos Mancini - Wil van die mense

JUMP 3
    Zonugal, Pivotal Role - Consensus
    jdarksun, General Stevens - Rénmín de yìzhì
    premium, General Porter - Wil van die mense

JUMP 4
    Gizzy, Josh Harvin and/or Shàngjiàng Sun Tzu - Consensus
    38thDoe, Captain Rojas - Rénmín de yìzhì
    kime, Major Rice - Wil van die mense
    kilnaga, Major Black - Atrophied from the Anomaly (Inactivus)

JUMP 5
    Cythraul, Dr. Paul-Henri Durand - Consensus
    Iron Weasel, President Onyejekwe - Rénmín de yìzhì
    lucedes, Tagmatarchis Shaban Naceri - Wil van die mense

JUMP 6
    Flarne, Pivotal Role - Consensus
    Zombie Hero, Pivotal Role - Rénmín de yìzhì
    enlightenedbum, Pivotal Role - Wil van die mense

JUMP 7
    capfalcon, Senator Stevens - Consensus
    mill, Pivotal Role - Rénmín de yìzhì
    ronrab, Ambassador Maynard - Wil van die mense

JUMP 8
    Locus, Shàngjiàng Yuen - Consensus
    Spoit, Pivotal Role - Rénmín de yìzhì
    INANTP, Pivotal Role - Wil van die mense

Narrations

JUMP 1 - DAY 1
    JUMP 2 - DAY 4
    JUMP 3 - DAY 6
    JUMP 4 - DAY 2
    JUMP 5 - DAY 4
    JUMP 6 - DAY 6
    JUMP 7 - DAY 7
    JUMP 8 - DAY 4
    JUMP 9 - DAY 8

ObiFett on
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I thought I signed up for this next week.

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Okay

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Sure.

Is this a main or mini?

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Do we get to have fabulous adventures thru time and space in a magic blue box with a handsome doctor?

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    WgT0NHO.jpg

JUMP!

...Wait wrong show.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Well, so long as it's going to make time for itself, I should be able to join this one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oh Lord, this is both insane and totally awesome

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Appropriate avatar switch!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    YOU HATE TIME TRAVEL YOU HATE TIME TRAVEL YOU HATE TIME TRAVEL YOU HATE TIME TRAVEL

liEt3nH.png
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    hi yes i am in please

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    Oh @Iron Weasel @Auralynx and @Zombie Hero must join this one.

edited May 2013
    Oh Auralynx already here? Excellent!

Mikey CTS on
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    JUMP! back to when I used to play these.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Oh @Iron Weasel @Auralynx and @Zombie Hero must join this one.
    But Mikey ...
    I joined this game 30 minutes ago.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Oh Auralynx already here? Excellent!
    Believe I'm supposed to regular-link these if I'm not rehosting them?
    http://www.annsheybani.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Firingsquad2.jpg

I'm kind of hoping the various (and numerous!) people grudging me do something like Day 3 me so I can at least half-participate, but if I'm getting smoked, let's get it out of the way. :P Plus, there's time travel for this one, so premium's gonna jack me up for sure.

Ego sum moriturus!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Assuran wrote: »

Is this a main or mini?

main

Bandwagon didn't have any in the pipe and I've been wanting to try this idea out for a while.

Well, they're going to Day 3 you, but that will actually be the first day we play, so you won't be able to play on the second and third days because those will be days 4 and 8, but then the fourth day will be day 2, so you'll be able to play that one.

Invictus wrote: »
    Well, they're going to Day 3 you, but that will actually be the first day we play, so you won't be able to play on the second and third days because those will be days 4 and 8, but then the fourth day will be day 2, so you'll be able to play that one.

keikaku.jpg

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Or will they?!

jdarksun wrote: »
    By god, the village is going to win this one.

If they don't, we'll go back in time and make them, by God.

Clearly we should all just be ready to retroactively edit every single post in the thread so the village wins.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    There exists some timeline where the village wins this one

If we destroy all universes where the village does not win, then the village always wins! QED

Is this a main or mini?

main

Bandwagon didn't have any in the pipe and I've been wanting to try this idea out for a while.
    Do you have a minimum number of players this will work with? Because if Munkus' game is any indication you probably won't get 40+ people signed up.

Currently Playing:

Is this a main or mini?

main

Do you have a minimum number of players this will work with? Because if Munkus' game is any indication you probably won't get 40+ people signed up.

Its pretty scalable. Just gonna start the game when I feel like sign-ups are done.

Sounds good.

Currently Playing:
    @OminousLozenge and @TheRoadVirus, come be time travel bros with us.

Even if you're mad, join up. We'll all go back and have ice cream instead of doing the thing that pissed you off, ok?

Currently Playing:
    Have I betrayed OminousLozenge yet?

Just trying to establish goals for this game.

You haven't betrayed me yet! : (

Yes.
    And no.

Currently Playing:
    (it's a time travel joke)

Currently Playing:
    edited May 2013
    Invictus wrote: »

You haven't betrayed me yet! : (

Oh you're on the list, buddy. I promise, yours is coming. <3

Mikey CTS on
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Man, time travel sure was/is/will be a popular genre right about then/now/eventually.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I thought I signed up for this next year

premium wrote: »
    I thought I signed up for this next year
    Megafrost beat you to this joke.

Currently Playing:
    Megafrost wrote: »
    I thought I signed up for this next week.
    Premium beat you to this joke.

Currently Playing: