As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Been a while since I posted, wanted to get opinions on some new stuff:

DRaelrichDRaelrich AspirantRegistered User regular
A piece I finished a while ago; I'd welcome commentary.

tumblr_mlfiavOf6C1qmgyp2o1_1280.png

Centered weight, gentle hand.

• Options
    DRaelrichDRaelrich Aspirant Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Also, I just recently finished doing an animatic commission, and have been working on cleaning and refining the parts of it (this is part 1):

http://youtu.be/hnEvBdLBq70

DRaelrich on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    While I think the first piece could be rather interesting, I feel like it still needs work. It really just doesn't feel finished to me. The colours are all rather muddy. The line work isn't very structured. The whole piece seems rather rushed, to be honest.

• Options
    Appreciate the criticism. I understand what you mean about the muddy colors, but what do you mean by the line work being unstructured?

• Options
    Also: work in progress, an older illustration that I'm revamping:
    tumblr_mlg2zk1HfP1qmgyp2o1_500.png

• Options
    Did a bit of reworking for the first piece:
    tumblr_mlqmbxHmVy1qmgyp2o1_1280.png

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I like that you pushed the values a bit farther, but at the same time some wonkiness with lighting is concurring when I look at this.

First thing is that the light source seems really low compared to the brightness of the piece. Lighting is almost coming from immediately right of the work, which would make some very dramatic shadows elsewhere. We would be talking mostly silhouetted shadows on the left hand side of most every construction on the page, with some indirect lighting tinted by whatever is around it.

There are some inconstant areas for light and shadow (the pond in the back, parts of the boat, parts of the water).

It looks like you are painting a lot with transparency (which is what I used to do 100% before this month). I would suggest trying painting only with hard, round brushes with 100% opacity for a while to figure out how to get the colors you are seeing here without the transparency tricks. You will be able to get much more control over your colors and lose the muddiness that sort of bleeds through with painting only with transparency.

I think the piece has a lot of character. It reminds me of one of the Aesop-like stories about Yokai from Japan, which is pretty awesome. You might want to go look at this month's artists challenge thing for Color Studies. They would help you define this a lot.

Enc on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    dude that's the most confusing paintover I've ever seen.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, taking a second glance it's not really as helpful as I would like. Paragraphs stand though.

Edit: removed the paintover because it wasn't worth the loading space.

Enc on
  • Options
    I wish I could've seen it.

Thanks for the feedback, though! I'm a little confused as to how to paint with hard brushes only using no opacities... I'm going to try it out and see if I understand. I'll also have a look at the color studies you mentioned, and see if I can clear up the lighting direction.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Do you mean like this?
    tumblr_mlsotz9fKG1qmgyp2o1_1280.png
    (quick attempt)

DRaelrich on
  • Options
    Practicing making sample logos to get design work:
    Sample%20Logo%201.png
    Sample%20Logo%202.png
    Sample%20Logo%203.png
    Sample%20Logo%204.png
    Sample%20Logo%205b.png

• Options
    The digital clock one doesn't parse well because you forgot some of the voids in the 8 cells of cells in it. For letters like your first "L" in electromance you don't have the voids for the right side of the 8 cell. That makes the L and the following E look like a U and some floating lines. Your first E left the voids, and was easy to parse, after that it runs together.

I like the feel of the pipes and magnets one. It's also a bit hard to parse in places due to the positioning, but some slight changes would probably fix that. A good exercise would be to make the entire image of the letters and pipes black on a white background. If you can still read it without seeing certain letters as different ones (such as not really noticing the cross on the T or associating the RO with a P) you'll need to change your profiles a little bit.

The Horizon one looks badass, but I had to hunt to find the actual word in it. If that's the intent, very nice. If you are branding something, you might want to push the letters out a bit farther.

• Options
    Thanks for the input! I did a bit of reworking on the three, here. Tried a light fill for Horizon
    Sample%20Logo%201.png

Separated the latter letters a bit for the first Electromance
    Sample%20Logo%202.png

And fixed up the spacing for this one.
    Sample%20Logo%204.png

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Did a repaint of an older piece. Tried to take Enc's advice and used only full opacity brushes to do it:
    Old
    tumblr_mmnieuQukO1qmgyp2o1_1280.png
    New
    tumblr_mmnieuQukO1qmgyp2o2_1280.png

DRaelrich on
  • Options
    Also did some more logo stuff (the first one was a request by someone, the rest are just sample attempts):
    Ajax%20Pharma%20silhouette%20red%20text.png
    tumblr_mmg7vsT3mQ1qmgyp2o1_1280.png
    Improvements on Electromance:
    Sample%20Logo%202%20sm.png

This discussion has been closed.