As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breaking Bad

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    He is the "hero" of the story in the sense that the story is about him and how he succeeds (and also how he obviously eventually fails)

I'm mean he ain't no hero by anyone's imagination, except his own.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    This discussion is similar to one that happened in one of the Bioshock: Infinite threads. Walt is the protagonist. But he's a protagonist that is an anti-hero. Good anti-hero stories aren't terribly prevalent. Walt is such a great anti-hero. Because anti-hero protagonists aren't that common most of the time, we tend to just refer to people as the "hero" or the "villain," but those terms don't really work in Breaking Bad since the person we're following would normally be a "villain," yet he's the main character of the story. He is, as you say, Blake, most definitely the Hero in the story he's telling himself, though.

I think I've just posted more in this thread today than I have in all the 97 other pages together. That's weird.

• Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Borking Berd is a good show and I'm ready for it to come back.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Ironically, the most heroic person so far is hank. And then probably Jesse.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Ironically, the most heroic person so far is hank. And then probably Jesse.

don't forget Gomey!

tumblr_m9g0naouBH1r0ze3to1_r1_500.png

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PassionateLoviePassionateLovie Registered User regular
    Can't wait for the next season! :D

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Breaking Bad has a knack for characters that start off as a bit of a joke, but then get deeper and more complex without sacrificing their humor. It's a hell of a balancing act.

Jesse, Hank, Saul, Marie. Even Skinny Pete and Badger, to a lesser extent.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's kinda crazy how by the time the fifth season comes about, Saul is probably one of the most moral characters

He's loyal to a fault, but is incredibly uncomfortable with the situations Walt regularly puts him in

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    i've sympathy for jesse because he's basically a child looking for a father figure who can say he's proud of him. But he's been involved in some horrific shit, at least he feels shame and guilt about it and has had more complicated/empathetic motivations than walt, but I would still struggle to call him a hero. I root for him because he is that kind of confused child, and there is a real decency in there which you hope will be the thing that ultimately saves him.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    also the sopranos ending didn't disappoint everyone interviewer, i loved it

• Options
    I love old Breaking Bad speculation

People were positive that those body bags in season 2 were Skylar and Walt Jr and the White house exploded

What brings this up is that I saw several people who were positive that Gomez was the mole in the DEA, entirely because he grew a goatee

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Darkest timeline Gomey breaking through.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

People were positive that those body bags in season 2 were Skylar and Walt Jr and the White house exploded

What brings this up is that I saw several people who were positive that Gomez was the mole in the DEA, entirely because he grew a goatee

At this point, I'm still pretty sure it was Merkert.

He was the one running the DEA at the time, and showing Gus around once or twice, and I'm 99% it was his voice warning Hank about you know who.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I, personally, will never get tired of people's reactions when first watching the show.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    i've sympathy for jesse because he's basically a child looking for a father figure who can say he's proud of him. But he's been involved in some horrific shit, at least he feels shame and guilt about it and has had more complicated/empathetic motivations than walt, but I would still struggle to call him a hero. I root for him because he is that kind of confused child, and there is a real decency in there which you hope will be the thing that ultimately saves him.

Jesse is also a great foil for Walt because you see Jesse's spark of decency as contrasted to Walt's ever-growing detachment from any kind of morality or ethics other than saving his own skin as he makes the most money he can. Walt's manipulation of Jesse provides strong and nuanced evidence for Walt's deteriorating humanity.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I unabashedly love watching Walt. I root for him. He's an interesting character. His story is great.

He's also a terrible human being.

A character doesn't need to be moral or right to be great.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    I have a friend who argues that because you don't want Walt to win anymore, they have ruined his character

The lead character of a show should be someone you identify with and root for, if the central character of a show is someone you don't want to win anymore they have irreparably fucked up the show

He also argues that the last episode of Season 4 was a giant mistake that has caused the show to go downhill incredibly fast

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Your friend has a bit of a silly opinion of the show.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I think the thing that really makes Breaking Bad work is that Walt is THE anti-hero. I don't want to see him succeed, because he is a bad person. But goddamn if I'm not invested in his story.

• Options
    He recently watched the Wire and the Sopranos and now will not accept any show that doesn't meet those standards

He also hated hated hated HATED Friday Night Lights

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    If David Chase had written Breaking Bad the series would have ended with Hank on the toilet.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I was pretty mad at Walt when he
    current season spoiler
    manipulated Jesse into breaking up with his girlfriend
    considering all the things he's done that are much worse.
    even at his worst he did often care about Jesse beyond his own machinations. That's all gone now and it was pretty much the last thing humanizing him at all : (

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

At this point, I'm still pretty sure it was Merkert.

He was the one running the DEA at the time, and showing Gus around once or twice, and I'm 99% it was his voice warning Hank about you know who.

Gus was the one who called Hank in One Minute

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Was that confirmed?

I don't remember.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Gus was confirmed to be behind the call, but it was never confirmed who was actually on the phone
    it doesn't actually matter who was on the phone, just like it doesn't really matter WHO the DEA mole was, just that there was one

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be neat if there was a "Best Cold-Open" Emmy so that Breaking Bad could get another trophy for its shelf every year?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Speculating on Breaking Bad is like Tic-Tac-Toe or Global Thermonuclear War: the only winning move is not to play.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Gus was confirmed to be behind the call, but it was never confirmed who was actually on the phone
    it doesn't actually matter who was on the phone, just like it doesn't really matter WHO the DEA mole was, just that there was one
    What is this about a mole in the DEA? I remember suspecting that one existed way back....but I don't remember what evidence I had for it. Looking back on it I can't remember any plot point that specifically required the existence of a mole in the DEA.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    I think the thing that really makes Breaking Bad work is that Walt is THE anti-hero. I don't want to see him succeed, because he is a bad person. But goddamn if I'm not invested in his story.

Walt isn't an anti-hero. Hasn't been for a while.

• Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    My favorite scene with Walt and Jesse's relationship is
    I can't remember how it came about, whether walt was drugged up or sleep talking, but he kept talking about his son never listening and he just wants to do his best for him, and then he says Jesse's name.

• Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    Also I still have trouble getting over the fact sometimes that the dad from Malcolm in the Middle is a Meth kingpin.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    life is unfaaaaair

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    my absolute favorite moments in breaking bad are the two times that jesse calls walt by his first name

there's this bizarre father-son dynamic at play, jesse respects/fears walt

and then that all stops

and it's the perfect way to illustrate how little of a fuck jesse gives anymore

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular

I don't mean to sound like I'm challenging you, I just genuinely don't know. What is an anti-hero, and if Walt isn't one what is he?

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

I don't mean to sound like I'm challenging you, I just genuinely don't know. What is an anti-hero, and if Walt isn't one what is he?

I think he started out as one; doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

But then he just kind of realized that the slippery slope was no fun descending slowly, so he doffed some skis and headed for the ramp.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Isn't an antihero just a main character with no redeeming qualities or virtues?

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    By the fifth season, Walt is just straight-up the villain

He has no enemies left except himself

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Larlar wrote: »
    Isn't an antihero just a main character with no redeeming qualities or virtues?

not really because being the main character doesn't make you the hero

• Options

I think he started out as one; doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

But then he just kind of realized that the slippery slope was no fun descending slowly, so he doffed some skis and headed for the ramp.

this isn't quite right either though

walt going bad wasn't a conscious choice to say fuck it i'm gonna goatee it the fuck up

every step, every decision, has been justified in his mind as being necessary in order for him to stay alive and keep providing for his family

it just so happens that every single one of those things is worse than the one that came before

• Options
    Walt's the protagonist, but that don't make him any variety of hero.

I think it's interesting how many different points there are where people give up on Walt. Like, almost everybody has a different one, but there pretty much ain't anybody left in the world who thinks Walt's anything but a bad guy.

A friend of mine actually thought they were laying it on too thick, but the fact that everybody has a different threshold is kinda indicative of how they had to keep hammering that point home. Had to keep pushing what's forgivable.
    Some people, it was Jane. Some, the 747. Some, it was Brock. Some people were able to hold out even 'til Mike.

Me, personally, it was when he raped his wife. I realized we weren't just following an anti-hero - we were watching the origin story for a supervillain.

This discussion has been closed.