As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2013 Costume Thread

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I've found when it comes to custom masks you can make allowances for having glasses.
    As for making your appearance fully canon. If you aren't comfortable with wearing contacts. Wearing glasses won't matter when you're wearing such an awesome cosplay.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Cosplay, huh? That's something I haven't done before. I'll give it a go. I can pull out my Castiel costume!

I am waiting until I see if the resin sword I ordered to see if it's sharp enough to poke someone. Might sand down the tip if so.

uhh... nevermind. My wife doesn't want HER Castiel walking around for other people to fawn over...

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm thinking that, on top of my Elizabeth from BioShock Infinite cosplay and my Dragon Age 3 cosplay that I'm hoping to do once characters are announced, I'm going to finish my Mad Moxxi costume from Borderlands 2 that I had planned for PAX East that I never finished. It's mostly done; so with the added 4th day, I'll have time to wear it. :)

• Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I've been thinking about going as Tetra or Medli from Wind Waker, but having glasses is kind of problematic! I had a bad experience with contacts so those are kind of out of the question. I really love cosplay and stuff, though, so perhaps I could make it work...
    I've yet to have contacts while cosplaying (though I finally got around to getting a prescription so I can get them when needed) and it hasn't been an issue. If you're really concerned, just take them off for pictures and wear them otherwise. Wouldn't want to miss seeing the con due to vanity!

• Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    Yeah I find contacts are more of an add-on. Unless you're doing a photoshoot they're really not going to be the most important part of your costume. I've had contacts go bad on me before but it never stopped me from hitting the convention. I've already picked out the ones for Minette and I think they'll be the only pair I need this year.

• Options
    Commander_MannCommander_Mann Registered User new member
    Hey just thought I would drop a post in here. Excited to see the costumes you are all working on at PAX! I will be in Mass Effect costume as per usual.

• Options
    Browncoat565Browncoat565 Registered User regular
    Kwiyu wrote: »
    just thought I'd try again and see if there are any canadians with experience of bordder corssing with costumes...

My friends and I have had no problems going down to Seattle for SakuraCon with our costumes & prop weapons. We've had no problems at the border and we've brought swords, daggers, a Black Rock Shooter cannon, a large mallet and a crossbow. It probably helped that none of the weapons looked realistic or functional though...

BombClancy wrote: »
    Considering I am 5' I have been thinking more and more about sewing up a Tera Elin costume.

Oh man that'd be awesome if you did. My sister and I are working on some costumes from Tera too~ I'm planning on just being a Human while my sister is working on a Castanic.

Aside from that I'm planning on going as Amethyst Ashe from LoL.

thanks for the response... the only thing that is even remotely weapon like is my orange gun I am bringing down which is an orange rubber gun I think they'll figure out quickly it isn't real do you declare it at the border when you go down or only if they ask

• Options
    DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    thanks for the response... the only thing that is even remotely weapon like is my orange gun I am bringing down which is an orange rubber gun I think they'll figure out quickly it isn't real do you declare it at the border when you go down or only if they ask

Lifted this from the FAQ, hope it helps with your question.

PEACE BONDING AT CON FOR COSTUME WEAPONS
    NOTE: This peace bonding information is from PAX Prime 2012. If anything changes for 2013 then this board and this post will reflect those changes.

The method of checking will be a booth located on the 4th floor at the Info Desk. It will be staffed by enforcers from 1 hour prior to the show to the close of Expo Hall. All attendees who have costume weapons will be directed there. The Security Management Team will also be checking the exterior line and the expo line before the doors open to alleviate any delay for people who show up before the show opens.

Anyone who has a costume weapon needs to be verified. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Attendees whose weapons are allowed will have to show that they have been checked and Ok'd. If an attendee's weapon is approved they will receive BOTH a zip tie (color TBA) placed on the weapon and a sticker on the back of their badge with a short description of the item and the name of the Enforcer who checked it. Any Enforcer can verify if the weapon has been checked and that you have a sticker and zip tie on it. Please note that zip ties will be placed on the prop in an area of your choice. It must remain secure but it can be in an area that can be covered for photos.

If you bring something in that's not allowed or not approved you will be politely required to leave, stow the offending item in your vehicle/hotel room/etc, and then return. If you have any doubt as to whether your prop weapon falls under these restrictions - it probably does. Err on the side of caution!

PEACE BONDING LOCATION
    The costume weapons check booth has been be at the Info desk on the 4th floor in the past, if this changes for 2013 then this post will be updated with the new location.

If the pattern from 2012 continues then the Security Team will be going through the outside line before the center opens, so if you're early you won't have to worry about not being able to go somewhere right away.

Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    Do you mean an international border or the borders of PAX? Haha, big difference.

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    Browncoat565Browncoat565 Registered User regular
    Do you mean an international border or the borders of PAX? Haha, big difference.

yeah
    Deimir wrote: »

Lifted this from the FAQ, hope it helps with your question.

PEACE BONDING AT CON FOR COSTUME WEAPONS
    NOTE: This peace bonding information is from PAX Prime 2012. If anything changes for 2013 then this board and this post will reflect those changes.

The method of checking will be a booth located on the 4th floor at the Info Desk. It will be staffed by enforcers from 1 hour prior to the show to the close of Expo Hall. All attendees who have costume weapons will be directed there. The Security Management Team will also be checking the exterior line and the expo line before the doors open to alleviate any delay for people who show up before the show opens.

Anyone who has a costume weapon needs to be verified. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Attendees whose weapons are allowed will have to show that they have been checked and Ok'd. If an attendee's weapon is approved they will receive BOTH a zip tie (color TBA) placed on the weapon and a sticker on the back of their badge with a short description of the item and the name of the Enforcer who checked it. Any Enforcer can verify if the weapon has been checked and that you have a sticker and zip tie on it. Please note that zip ties will be placed on the prop in an area of your choice. It must remain secure but it can be in an area that can be covered for photos.

If you bring something in that's not allowed or not approved you will be politely required to leave, stow the offending item in your vehicle/hotel room/etc, and then return. If you have any doubt as to whether your prop weapon falls under these restrictions - it probably does. Err on the side of caution!

PEACE BONDING LOCATION
    The costume weapons check booth has been be at the Info desk on the 4th floor in the past, if this changes for 2013 then this post will be updated with the new location.

If the pattern from 2012 continues then the Security Team will be going through the outside line before the center opens, so if you're early you won't have to worry about not being able to go somewhere right away.

yeah sorry I should've been more clear I meant the international border Canada to US

• Options
    edited May 2013

PAXes, It's Like a Whole 'Nother Country.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    So rather than put together a Skarlet costume (which I haven't even started on whatsoever), I'm thinking I will wear my Oola costume that I'm putting together for my friends' wedding. In the wedding, I'm wearing a black dress with a mesh back (bride didn't want me all nakies at her wedding - understandable), but I'm going to try to put together her actual costume after the wedding in June. The lekku are the most labor intensive part, but those are coming along nicely - I'll see if I can get some progress photos of them. Actually, a good chunk of the wedding party will be there, and we'll likely be wearing our Star Wars costumes on the same day. There will be at least a Han, Leia, Dash Rendar, and Oola.

• Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    was thinking of bringing a nerf gun sunday for my 40k cosplay but it would definitely have to be peacebonded cause i painted it to look more like a future gun (i.e. metallics). But if its a hassle i'll just make a foam chainsword.

• Options
    The best group cosplay I can think of that I haven't seen yet: Lucas Lee and his cadre of stunt doubles.

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    @Browncoat565
    As far as international borders are concerned I have always learned to just be open with things. The more open you are then the less trouble you are going to have. Even though it is a harmless prop I would still let them know (if you are being searched or checking your bag through security of any sort, if not then don't even mention it). I fly with my modified nerf sniper rifle for Shepard. I always tell airlines about it and have TSA presearch my bag just so everyone knows what is going on and there is no surprises.

@Membino
    Nerf is allowed as long as you disable it. I made my sniper from a highly modified Nerf Long Strike. I blocked the barrel and took out anything from the inside that causes it to fire. I also took an extra step (more cause it looks better than for peace bonding really) and blocked where I can load nerf dart cartridges with another piece from a nerf gun. Mine is painted up in a dark blue with yellow (made to look like an M-29 Incisor from Mass Effect).

@edgeofblade
    Holy freaking cow that would be awesome! I love Scott Pilgrim! I considered making Ramona my "casual" day costume. We'll see how it works out. Might be Twilight Sparkle from MLP depending on my cosplay partner....

I should go.
  • Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    It says that foam props are ok but what about paper mache covered foam?? I tried to paint just the foam and It dosnt look as good as when I covered my prop with paper mache then painted it... Plus it made it a lot more durable but still brakeable....

• Options
    AoiroAoiro Registered User regular
    I'm determined to cosplay the default skin of Lulu from League of Legends for PAX Prime. Just a little over 3 more months to go!

• Options
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    It says that foam props are ok but what about paper mache covered foam?? I tried to paint just the foam and It doesn't look as good as when I covered my prop with paper mache then painted it... Plus it made it a lot more durable but still breakeable....

Paper mache covered is fine. I simply put that there cause it is the most popular option that people go for and I wanted to make sure it was cleared.

I should go.
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Anything not listed on the no go list is ok. Everything has to be checked at the booth before you can wander the show.

Paper mache is fine, even if its covering foam.

• Options
    KwiyuKwiyu Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

No problem, when I drove down for Sakuracon I personally didn't declare any of the prop weapons in my car -- but they were visible and as my sister told me, obviously fake [ We had three large swords made from a variety of cardboard, paper mache, pleather and spraypaint ]. They didn't ask me any questions, so I didn't offer any answers...

But they do ask if you are carrying any firearms, you can either mention that you have a rubber gun that you are using as a prop at a convention and ask them if that will be ok --- or you can just not mention it. However, if you are going down to Seattle by bus or train you should definitely mention that you have a rubber gun prop and show it to them. I'm not sure if your luggage will be checked if you go by bus, but I'm pretty sure it will be checked at least once if you travel by train and leave from Pacific Central in Vancouver.

• Options
    ProjektSoulProjektSoul Registered User regular
    I think since I have most of the summer off for once that I'm gonna build the costumes for two of my GW2 charas. Should be a fun challenge since both have a combo of armors! :)

Human Necromancer: http://i.imgur.com/isU4qGe.jpg

Norn Thief: http://i.imgur.com/5ELoIZq.jpg

TheProjektSoul.jpg
  • Options
    BowiesoloBowiesolo Registered User new member
    I will be going as my Norn Elementalist http://i.imgur.com/2O8qWne.jpg . My jacket is done, my skirt is partially done and my corset arrived the other day :)

• Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    Carl will show up once again! Seattle is my home... Across this line, THE SCALPERS WILL NOT... calmdowncarl..... Still, Carl returns!

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    requinrequin Registered User regular
    I've got a question: Would it be alright to cosplay the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown for PAX? I know PAX is a family friendly event, and I don't want to break any rules, i.e: wearing too little for cosplay. I will be altering it so that I would feel comfortable in the cosplay and that it wouldn't show THAT much of my assets... (I admit that the character designs are kinda ridiculous). I don't want to get kicked out because of what I'm wearing. I'm looking forward to Dragon's Crown as I'm a huge fan of Vanillaware games and their art.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    As long as naughty bits are covered, there are almost no restrictions on cosplay for attendees (other than the weapons policy). Obviously be tasteful, but that doesn't mean one can't be skimpy. The restrictions are for Exhibitors, Panelists, and Vendors.

• Options
    CARL!
    Would it be alright to cosplay the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown for PAX?

Yes.

• Options
    LaggyLaggy Registered User new member
    If I can convince my boyfriend, we might be going as Brienne and Jamie from Game of Thrones, the Bear Pitt versions. I'm just wondering about the wooden sword they give Brienne to fight off the bear. It's a tourney sword, so the edges and poins would be rounded quite a lot. It definitely wasn't doing any damage to that bear. Think that would be okay?

• Options
    KagzKagz OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Man I always forget to keep up with this forum. I managed to get tickets so hooray for that.

Millia is still on And my local group is planning RWBY especially after we saw the Y at Akon. I am planning Blake but I'm not sure if I will have it by then, maybe.. if not I still wanna get some pictures of you all that are wearing it!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Laggy wrote: »
    If I can convince my boyfriend, we might be going as Brienne and Jamie from Game of Thrones, the Bear Pitt versions. I'm just wondering about the wooden sword they give Brienne to fight off the bear. It's a tourney sword, so the edges and poins would be rounded quite a lot. It definitely wasn't doing any damage to that bear. Think that would be okay?

They will probably say: Wooden swords are fine as long as they don't have the tip to pierce, but if it's too heavy, it could run afoul of a bludgoning club rule.

EDIT: I misspoke. The "no bats" rule is an old version. Evidently bats and clubs are okay as long as no one is hit with them. Don't listen to me. Read the OP.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    Read the first post and let me know if you still wonder if the wood sword will be allowed.

• Options
    fhufidfhufid Registered User new member
    Got a question from a newbie. I'm going as 2013 Lara Croft. Would they take away my bow even if I don't bring arrows?

• Options
    FidchelFidchel Registered User regular
    fhufid wrote: »
    Got a question from a newbie. I'm going as 2013 Lara Croft. Would they take away my bow even if I don't bring arrows?

I think it would be fine so long as it's non-functional, a.k.a don't string it.

PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • Options
    WolfmanASTNWolfmanASTN Registered User regular
    fhufid wrote: »

You should be fine as long as you don't have anything to shoot and the ends aren't sharp

• Options
    PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    I'm trying to make my own costume from scratch this year. I've got most of the parts planned out except for the top, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make it. The costume in question is for Fuka from Disgaea 4. (http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Fuka) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about making the top? I am not a highly skilled seamstress so I'm trying to keep things simple.

• Options
    Out of curiosity, what constitutes "deactivated nerf"? Can batteries simply be removed from a battery powered blaster or a ziptie placed in such a way to prevent firing or priming?

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Out of curiosity, what constitutes "deactivated nerf"? Can batteries simply be removed from a battery powered blaster or a ziptie placed in such a way to prevent firing or priming?
    Prevent firing. Batteries removed is not deactivated. Removing the firing mechanism is the easiest and most acceptable way.

• Options
    FidchelFidchel Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well, I'm just finally getting around to starting my costumes, even though I've been planning them since last PAX. Currently, I'm working on my boyfriend's White Mage costume, which changed from something Templar-esque to druidic-looking when I found an awesome Celtic triangle stamp. I would just like to note that putting triangles on a curved hem is a nightmare, specially when stacking them. Adding a border to the overlapped areas seems to be fixing the problem, though:
    994811_643514479010678_137824577_n.jpg

1010494_643514379010688_1368880473_n-1.jpg

Meanwhile, I have a couple sketches, one of the Black Mage Sari (which will include an appropriately floppy wizard's hat, I just couldn't draw one to save my life) and then a second set I'd like to attempt, which is a gender-bent Link and Zelda/Zeldo.
    577896_544700455558748_513286405_n.jpg

PrinceZeldo.jpg

LadyLink-1.jpg

Fidchel on
    PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • Options
    JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    I've got my zora armor link costume ready to go except for a little bit of repair work. Finally got some pictures of the completed costume to share. :)
    V4tj2aI.jpg

School has been taking over my summer schedule, so I'm making an ordon link costume at the moment as it's a bit simpler. If I have time, I might try to put together a master sword.

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular

I had to shelve my phantom cosplay due to a surgery coming up and funds running out.
    But I am going to debut my casual FemShep. Something simple but pretty cool, imo. Lol
    I have a friend making me a Paladin pistol. So I used my Halo Magnum as a stand in for the shot.
    941459_10201443490112618_91123347_n.jpg

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Okay, so my friends' Star Wars wedding was this past weekend. As such, I've now finished my Oola headpiece. I hope to create her netting outfit before PAX (I wore a black dress in the wedding). Here's a closeup shot of the lekku and makeup (ignore my silly friend in front of me :P).
    1017094_10151668360351480_1597920867_n.jpg