As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Young Uncanny Secret A.I. Arena [Avengers] Thread (Now with less Dark)

Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
nZK6aAj.png?1

The Avengers are Marvel's premiere superteam. Riding off of a decade of increasingly high profile series and the highest grossing superhero movie of all time, they are probably the biggest superhero franchise in the world right now. Marvel has capitalized on this by expanding the Avengers brand into a wide and varied group of comics.

The Group Series:

MImx012.jpg

Avengers
Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artists: Jerome Opena, Dustin Weaver, Mike Deodato and Lenil Yu
Featuring over two dozen members, Hickman's Avengers is a squad of heroes designed to tackle the worst threats the galaxy has to offer. Led by Captain America, Iron Man and Captain Marvel, the Avengers have declared Earth an Avengers World, and it looks like it won't be the only one.

idQ7BHZ.jpg

New Avengers
Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artist: Steve Epting
Starring the Illuminati, Black Panther, Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Beast, Black Bolt, Namor and Dr. Strange, New Avengers follows a group of intelligent, powerful men struggling with the hard decisions. When your world's survival lies on your shoulders, where will you draw the line?

fhQz2Ql.jpg

Uncanny Avengers
Writer: Rick Remender
Artists: John Cassaday and Daniel Acuna
Officially called the Avengers Unity Squad, Captain America formed the Uncanny Avengers after the events of AvX to provide a public symbol of unity between humanity and mutantkind, and showcase the world's brightest mutant heroes. Led by Havok, the team faced off against the Red Skull in it's first arc, but now must contend with Kang and his proteges: The Apocalypse Twins.

MYgWrag.jpg

Avengers Assemble
Writer: Kelly Sue DeConnick
Artists: Stefano Casseli and Pete Woods
Debuting as a new reader friendly title for fans of the movie, Avengers Assemble follows a small group of core Avengers in light hearted, fun adventures similar to the blockbuster's tone. It will soon have a crossover with Captain Marvel, also written by DeConnick, titled The Enemy Within.

F0sc7mI.jpg

Young Avengers
Writer: Keiron Gillen
Artists: Jaime McKelvie, Mike Norton
Equal parts superhero action and an earnest look at teenage life, Young Avengers is a group of teenage misfits that would never call themselves a superteam. Formed through Loki's machinations, the team is currently dealing with an interdimensional threat unleashed by Wiccan. Other members include Hulkling, Noh-Varr, Hawkeye(Kate Bishop) and Miss America.

gjXhXwm.jpg

Secret Avengers
Writer: Nick Spencer
Artist: Luke Ross
SHIELD's response to the growing superhuman threat, the Secret Avengers are a squad of superhumans that undertake missions so dangerous that even they cannot be allowed to remember them. Supervised by Nick Fury Jr., Maria Hill and Phil Coulson, the team has a rotating cast that includes Hawkeye, Black Widow, Taskmaster and even the Hulk.

Th79RkJ.jpg

Avengers Arena
Writer: Dennis Hopeless
Artists: Kev Walker and Alessandro Vitti
Taking it's inspiration from stories like the Lord of the Flies and The Hunger Games, Avengers Arena is a character drama about a group of Marvel's teen heroes trapped in a fight to the death by the villainous Arcade. While death is an ever present theme, Arena is more than just a bloodbath, as the teen's characterization and alliances are the main focus of the title.

EsrzR7V.jpg

Avengers A.I.
Writer: Sam Humphries
Artist: André Lima Araújo
In the wake of Age of Ultron, Earth is now home to a sizeable and growing population of sentient AIs. In response, a team of heroes and figureheads rises. Led by The Vision and Hank Pym and including Victor Mancha, Monica Chang and a Doombot seeking reformation, Avengers AI has formed to prove to the world that AIs are here to stay on, and protect, the Earth.

The Solo Books:

SLhwjIn.jpg

Captain America
Writer: Rick Remender
Artist: John Romita Jr.
Equal parts Kirby Sci-Fi madness and Indiana Jones pulp adventure, Remender's Captain America throws Steve Rogers into an alien dimension by Arnim Zola where he is forced to survive. Taking Zola's infant son to survive, Cap must free himself and return to the real world, even if it takes him a decade.

PPNNfyQ.jpg

Iron Man
Writer: Keiron Gillen
Artists: Greg Land, Dale Eaglesham
Tony Stark is an optimist. But in the wake of Avengers vs. X-Men his faith has been shaken and following one of his worst nightmares realized, Extremis being released among the world, he searches for new answers in the vast reaches of the Marvel cosmos.

hXK1Yp7.jpg

Indestructible Hulk
Writer: Mark Waid
Artists: Leinel Yu, Walt Simonson, Matteo Scalera
After years of searching for a cure, Bruce Banner has accepted that the Hulk is an incurable condition. Seeking to leave an impact on the world larger than the rubble of a thousand smashes, Bruce becomes an Agent of SHIELD. In exchange for freedom to pursue scientific revolutions freely, he agrees to let SHIELD use the Hulk as a weapon.

QOFnZRT.jpg

Thor: God of Thunder
Writer: Jason Aaron
Artists: Esad Ribic, Butch Guice
An appropriately epic tale for the Norse God, God of Thunder follows three different incarnations of Thor(one young and brash, one from the present day, and one an elderly king of Asgard) through the ages, all tied up in the battle against Gorr the God Butcher. Gorr seeks to kill every diety in the universe, and Thor is the only thing that can stop him.

t4aXf8o.jpg

Hawkeye
Writer: Matt Fraction
Artists: David Aja, Javier Pullido and Steve Lieber
Clint Barton is a normal guy. Most of the time. When he isn't busy being Hawkeye, the world's greatest archer and proud member of The Avengers, he lives in an apartment building, visits with his neighbors and plays with his dog. An incredible blend of beautiful comic book action and slice of life storytelling, Hawkeye is the most critically acclaimed title since Mark Waid's Daredevil. Read it.

nclYBrC.jpg

Captain Marvel
Writer: Kelly Sue DeConnick
Artists: Dexter Soy, Emma Rios, Filipe Andrade
Carol Danvers, formerly Ms. Marvel, has taken the mantle of Captain Marvel and taken her place amongst the mightiest heroes on the planet. Following both her superheroic adventures and everyday life, Captain Marvel is a fun, entertaining series. It will soon crossover with Avengers Assemble, also by DeConnick, in a story titled The Enemy Within which spins out of Carol's own title.

All titles are available on comixology and some, and soon all, have trades available at your local bookstore or Amazon!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Awww yes

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Excellent work making the OP.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I like the OP bit of a better mix.

Okay what I really mean is it mentions the only Avengers stuff I care about! AA, YA and Hawkguy.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Uncanny Avengers is the best book
    The scope is incredible
    Red Skull v Kang v Apocalypse; who will get to destroy the Earth's future
    So the story is something like Red Skull with Xavier's brain will eradicate the mutant race in an onslaught unless he is stopped by Apocalypse. So Kang travels back in time and gets Thor to make the enchanted axe Jarnbron that can pierce celestial armor that Kang uses to destroy any who try to become Apocalypse so that Kang can conquer the Earth in the future. So the children of Archangel, the Apocalypse Twins, travel back to the present from Kang's future with Jarnbron that they use to murder a freakin Celestial and then they nuke the North pole all to drive a wedge between the Avengers and the X-Men and what the fuck I don't even know...

Best book

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Man the new issue of avengers is really good.

Bobby and Sam are the best new addition to the team. Well after Shang chi at least.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I would prefer if Deodato wasn't on the book after this arc. Shang-Chi is traced Bruce Lee (or Jason Lee from Dragon), and Black Widow looks more like Mary Jane. Lots of Land faces too, which is disappointing.

The issue was good, better than last issue but still not like the first 8 issues. I would have liked to see Hickman tone down some of the scenes and stop his almost Morrison level of channel flipping, it has a hard time balancing between serious and almost taking the piss out of the genre, and then all the good stuff happens off panel.
    Natasha seemed like more of a hard ass than she usually would be, and Carol's segment seemed rather pointless other than to just have her act tough, when Natasha was actually being tough, so it was more one talks, the other walks.....the dead bodies out to the dumpster.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Question: Are the Taskmaster and other bits of Secret Avengers worth suffering through the terrible not-Nick Fury and pal?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Oh shit, Avengers Arena! I know someone here is going to be pissed.

And the secret avengers, Taskmaster's been in one issue so far and barely at that. I feel like the book needs a lot more focus, but it might just be that they're building to whatever plot it is.

I'm kind of torn because it seems to be more of a shield book or secret warriors spinoff more than an avengers book but even that stuff feels like it needs more tightening.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I already saw the sequence.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    That said, it is still an interesting book and it's become my "save the best for last" on my read pile.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

Bobby and Sam are the best new addition to the team. Well after Shang chi at least.

That one panel of Bobby/Sam and the AIM agents is the greatest thing ever. Great character issue from Hickman.

I agree that I would've preferred a different artist on the issue though.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oh shit, Avengers Arena! I know someone here is going to be pissed.

Yeah, me! *table flip*
    You know, I'm kind of tired of characters dying? And really any number of people dying, actually.

I don't want characters that I don't care about to die, because it's just gratuitous violence without any emotional impact. It's dulling, with a kind of low-level, lip-curling, tired sigh of revulsion. It's just like when groups of civilians and cops get slaughtered to let us know what the score is - it happens so often that now whenever I see it I just find it distracting. Dial it back, writers. I'm already scared of space aliens invading, I don't need to see them feasting on hundreds of civilian brains in a major city to know that the Earth is in danger.

And I don't really want characters that I am interested in to die, because I want them to hang around and do interesting stuff. Arena's been an awesome event so far, but if it just dissolves into a 'who's gonna die badly next?' slaughter-fest I'll be disappointed. Okay, maybe Juston hadn't done a lot lately, but can't we give him a job with Iron Man or something to keep him out of the way but not dead? Wasn't there some indication in Avengers Academy that his fixing of the Sentinel was turning it into a true sentient machine instead of just a robot? Why throw out all this character development from Academy just to get a few fleeting 'punch to the gut' moments by killing off kid heroes.

If these characters die before I care about them, it's a waste, and if they die after I care about them it's a bigger waste. Still holding out hope that this is some kind of virtual reality thing so we get Mettle and Darkhawk back.

edit - Also, super tired of the front page where it shows all the characters and then has big red Xs through the dead ones - 'Who's Gonna be Next?!!' Is that all your story is - a dartboard for you to chuck deaths at? Had my fill of that with Ultimatum, the ultimate bullshit example of someone seeing a cast as nothing more than targets. Don't want to see more books like that either.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    15nMc.jpeg

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

That one panel of Bobby/Sam and the AIM agents is the greatest thing ever. Great character issue from Hickman.

I agree that I would've preferred a different artist on the issue though.

Not to mention them taking away Doug's beekeeper hat and giving it to someone who wanted to party:

5GNmAVC.png

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I would happily read an ongoing or even limited run focusing on those dudes.

Cannonball and Sunspot are a bromance to rival Luke and Danny and I am so happy Hickman brought them along

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    how boss was Carol Danvers in this issue

answer: so boss

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I seriously can't get over how sweet and fun that entire bit with the A.I.M dudes is.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I still love the last page of the issue. Shang Chi acting all smug as hell.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I liked the art and coloring in Avengers.

Sure, there are parts where it's too stiff, but for an issue that has as much characterization as this one did, the poses and expressions really worked.

Iron Man #10 feels a bit like Gillen doing a counterpoint to OMD. Not as enticing as the "Stark's Eleven" teaser made it seem though as it's not the crux of the issue, which is a shame, I don't know if they're coming back next issue.

And a funny note, if you remember how Eaglesham drew Dr. Psycho in Villains United, his Tony looks very similar in the issue. I'll try and make a comparison later.

I am thinking the Stark Seven will show up in the next issue, as Gillen has said the flashback stuff is going to continue and the final tease of the issue.

CYpGAPn.png
    Is Thor, Hulk, Cap Marvel, Cap America, or Iron Man the best Avengers solo book?
    DC keeps canceling my favorite titles from them so I might as well pick up another Marvel book.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Thor: God of Thunder is my pick of the lot

It is absolutely gorgeous, and Fucking Metal.

I like Hulk the best, because it's making me care about a character I never cared for, but Thor seems to be wowing everyone. Plus it has Ribic doing most of the art so far in the series.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Every single page could be painted on the side of a shitty van and look incredible

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Thor is great, although I feel like this arc has maaaybe dragged on a little bit too long. I think it could have been tightened up to lose maybe one or two issues and be even better, but that's a minor complaint. The real treat is seeing Thor from three eras: Thor from the (I think) 800s, when he's still young and brash, not having earned the right to wield Mjolnir yet; modern-day Thor; and future-Thor, the king of Asgard, old and wise, more like Odin than he ever expected he'd be - but still able to swing a hammer and kick serious ass. It's cool to see how the three versions of Thor react to the same threat, and - most recently - how they interact with each other.

I'm really enjoying Hulk for the same reason TexiKen is: I've never cared about Hulk (even Planet Hulk did nothing for me, even though most people seem to really dig it), but this current Hulk is making me really like Banner's approach to his condition. I recommend it.

Iron Man is good (but then, I'm a Kieron Gillen fanboy). It's had Greg Land art for a while, and I guess will have it again soon, and this might be a turn-off (it is for me, but not enough to not buy the book). I think the writing is good, with potential to be great - I like the current Tony-in-space arc more than I've liked whatever led up to it, and I have high hopes that it'll go places.

Gillen absolutely killed it on his X-Men run, but I haven't read anything else by him.

What are people's opinions on Captain Marvel outside the art being inconsistent as hell.

It's a good book, strong characterization, fun dialogue. Not the strongest plot-wise, but if you get into the characters it's very entertaining.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I still adore these 2 pages from #2 and use them to show how Thor is the God of Thunder AND Metal!
    ThorgodofMETAL1_zps9d5253ec.jpg
    ThorgodofMETAL2_zpsfd6b94ed.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    So guys. Have you seen the next Young Avengers spoilers? Because it's kinda... damn.
    K6ttQaa.jpg

hXcAMmw.jpg

Kr4pHcx.jpg

Billy, your emo is getting in the way of Loki being cool.

I really hope Billy comes out of this story arc a stronger person, because for the past few issues he's been really defeatist.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I really hope Billy comes out of this story arc a stronger person, because for the past few issues he's been really defeatist.

Well Loki has his magic so whining is his only power left!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

*looks at avatar and sig*

Not the answer I was expecting.

steam_sig.png
    Oh I thought it was assumed that everyone should be reading Hawkeye

I am probably going to switch back to Kid Loki soon though because Young Avengers is my current favourite.

edited May 2013
    Yeah. Hawkeye wasn't on the list because everyone's already reading Hawkeye or should be reading Hawkeye.
    Besides, the comic is what he's doing when he's not being an Avenger...

Hell. I just sent my dad the first TPB of Hawkeye.

vagrant_winds on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hawkeye is actually far better drawn than it is written

I'd recommend it for Aja, sure, but the rest of it doesn't really grab me

plus the bro joke has been driven so far into the ground that I am pretty sure it's reached the mantle at this point

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    It's like Solar read my diary

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    you guys are weird.