As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX AUS 2013 HOTEL POLL Part 2

2»

• Options
    rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm just gonna use tethering/wifi hotspot on my phone. Did that last time I travelled to Melbourne.

If you have a good dataplan, it's a good idea. I've got 1.5gb a month so I don't need to worry about going over.

• Options
    SandmanTechSandmanTech MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Having spent most of last year traveling for clients last year, I would highly recommend any of the wireless "hubs" for internet access. I would use it across the notebook, phone and tablet depending on my weight allowance, and I always got pretty good speeds - even on the Northern Territory/Queensland border area.

USB based are ok, but I know the Telstra 3G wireless unit allows you to connect via USB cable rather than wireless if so needed.

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    Hmm, my lack of planning here is starting to look worrisome. I figured I'd book the closest place to the Showgrounds, but I'd prefer to be close to fellow attendees and evening shenanigans - are most people going to wind up staying closer to the CBD?

• Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    i am staying within the CBD.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    Yeah, think I'm leaning towards team Riverside at this point, should be an easy enough commute.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I've booked in at the Ibis Hotel up on Therry st so it's the furthest away from Southern Cross station but more closer to the showgrounds.

EDIT: who booked the ibis hotel up on therry st?

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    I started looking into that Ibis just earlier, it seems a lot cheaper than Riverside and most places. Browsing accommodation listings on a phone is the worst though, once I'm back at a desktop I'll finally start making some decisions.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    [REDACTED]

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    Staying @ Causeway Inn On The Mall, through hotelscombined.com.au $102 per night including continental breakfast.
    Good website for combining all the other combiner websites...

Stuff having to travel three+ hours each day, besides its a short stroll to work on Monday.

(I was looking originally at the Ibis, but went with this one because of breakfast included and proximity to Flinders st, not to mention the plethora of eating places just outside the front door)

1634496272_5610471c24_o.jpg

(hi by the way..)

posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
  • Options
    feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Crap, double post, apologies.

feralmaster on
    posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
  • Options
    DavieshDaviesh Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Atlantis on Spencer St in the CBD. It is right across the road from the Southern Cross train station, so you can just jump straight on the train to the showgrounds. I've stayed there a few times before on business, their rates for queen rooms without a view are ~$120-150 per night. Very new hotel, everything is well maintained and some of their deals even throw in breakfast which is handy.

• Options
    Magus_NexMagus_Nex NSW AustraliaRegistered User new member
    vjreddy12 wrote: »
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    i wonder if you can get a dongle and tether it to the phone like USB tether?

I am thinking of getting something like this...

50D79A87250219A0E10080000AF11387.JPG

officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Networking/Wireless-Mobile-Broadband/TEMF914G

best device available. dont think your saving $20 by buying a different brand. Telstra is the biggest network and offer true 4g speed.

• Options
    FernurionFernurion Registered User regular
    Magus_Nex wrote: »
    best device available. dont think your saving $20 by buying a different brand. Telstra is the biggest network and offer true 4g speed.

That's largely dependent on where you are, though it should be fine in Melbourne. Just don't try leaving the coastal areas with it, otherwise it may revert back to 3g.

Anyhoo, I'm bunking down at the Ibis on Therry Street. Tram stop right around the corner and Melbourne central train station just a few blocks away. Also, Queen Victoria markets and the state library only a short walk away.

• Options
    GrimRetributi0nGrimRetributi0n WellingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm staying at a backpackers with 10 other people in one room! Cheap yes and if I'm drunk when I goto sleep I won't even notice the others. I'm staying at Nomdas All Nations if there are others staying there.

• Options
    SuperRoachSuperRoach BallaratRegistered User regular
    Sounds great GrimRetribution! We met people at the Mantra in um... near flinders st? And we are in the Mantra at Jolimont. Just two of us here, don't think there are others in here!

Nice place to be, but internet... meh. Relying on tethered internet for now is ok.