As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I may have just ordered a custom Stoutheart Brewers shirt...

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • anathosanathos Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a program to play Blood Bowl? Not FUMBBL, I'm just looking for something to handle the game itself divorced from leagues and matchmaking so I can play some games with a friend. I know there's a VASSAL mod floating around, but I can't seem to find it. The best I could turn up is this, which seems a little on the old side.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Well you can do that with the Cyanide version, join Auld (think it's Auld), and then just Challenge each other directly.

Then again, this isn't free.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • anathosanathos Registered User regular
    Free is a fairly important consideration. I don't anticipate I'll be playing enough to justify paying $30 when I've already found a free alternative.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Every Ogre on the team still has Bonehead, which will strike when you least want it, and the Ogres are really bad at ball handling with only AG2. They also don't start with Block, so even S5 blocks are risky sometimes. The Snotlings (or Gnoblars, if you want to be OK specific) are S1, so just about anyone can get a 3-die block on them, and Tichy, which means if they go down they probably won't be getting back up. It's a very hard team to play, even at higher levels.

They're actually even worse at higher levels because people usually pickup block which makes your Snotlings even more vulnerable to blocks and guard basically winds up making ogres ST 5 less strong.

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Blood Bowl update! I went to a qualifier tournament for Team Sweden a while back. Managed my first tournament without any loss (2 wins, 4 draws) which was pleasing. That result gave me third place out of twenty.

My third place at an earlier qualifier means I now have a spot on the Swedish team for Eurobowl! :D

Not going as well in the league though, my poor High Elves lost another member of the team in the last game of the season for a total for four actual deaths in nine games. A failed pickup also meant I only tied the game. I'm probably second or third reserve for the playoffs, so there is still a chance I might get in on it but I'm not holding my breath.

I have had problems deciding what to take to Chaos Cup and Spike! but I think I'm going to try out the Dark Elves. I have started on converting a team from old Warhammer models I have lying around. My first runner is more or less done:
    971702_10151658845622915_1862745219_n.jpg

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm aware that you're just converting stuff from old models you have lying around, but I reckon it must be pretty easy to make a really sweet looking elf team from the current GW range. The Dark Eldar Wych kit in particular.

I must get around to taking a picture of my Skaven team at some point. I managed to convert stuff from the current Stormvermin and Nightrunner kit and am fairly pleased with the results. I found the old (i.e. the alive version) Boneripper model for the Rat Ogre.

Edit; yes it is a shame the new player went for Ogres. Fingers crossed he picks one of the more friendlier teams next time. As a sidenote, I know Humans are a bit boring to pick in a Fantasy setting, but in terms of rules, I actually really like them.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
    Yes, I have seen several good examples of nice teams converted from Dark Eldar. I wanted something a bit more fantasy and a bit less futuristic though.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Well from the Fantasy range, the Corairs boxed set looks like a good starting point. Maybe the White Lions, or even the latest Shadow Warriors set?

PSN Fleety2009
    I'll be using the old Beastmasters as runners (per the picture), and I have a box of Mengil Manhides Manflayers which I will be using for linemen.

The real problem is the blitzers, I'm currently thinking legs from Executioners and torso, arms and head from the plastic Cold one knights.

Oh, and an assassin for the assassin and Witch Elves as Witch Elves. :P

A lot of the plastic high elves could be used though, but I think this might work and I have all of the models lying around already.

Mago, that sounds fantastic. Nice work on the tournament. My goal for next year is to make it to one of the tournaments. Nothing is held close to me, so I'm thinking I'll try for Chaos Cup since we have family in the Chicago area.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Still plenty of time to go to Chaos Cup this year Ken O, it's in the fall after all. :P

Sadly my vacations are already scheduled. I'll be doing Games Day and then in Decemeber wife, baby, and I are heading to Chicago to spend the holiday with her family.
    I'd love to do it this year, I just don't have the money or time off work.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Fair enough. Don't think I will make the trip next year though.

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Oh hey! A Blood Bowl thread!

I help run a local league here in Toronto called the Hogtown Blood Bowl Leauge (HoBBLe) You can check out our site (http://www.thehobble.com) for pictures of some of the teams we have playing. I run that 'front end' site along side a OBBLM site for managing the league itself, so all the games, stats and team rosters are at http://manager.thehobble.com

We're just wrapping up season 4 and after playing Nurgle for years my Norse team didn't do so well :P

Sharp I may be talking to you about league management soon. If our trial league takes off I have a feeling I'm going to be the one who has to do all the bookkeeping. Also both of those sites look great.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Man, I really wish there was a stronger force for organizing games in the Seattle area. What are you dudes doing for PAX and how quickly do you think I can assemble a Skaven team?

edited May 2013
    Played my first practice game for the upcoming NAF Championship today. After much consideration I decided to go with my trusty Humans.

Ogre
    4 Blitzers
    2 Throwers
    2 Catchers
    3 Linemen
    2 Rerolls

I played my friends Undead, and were a bit worried, Undead does not feel like an easy matchup. The dice really went my way though.

I got +2 Fame and won the coin toss. Elected to receive and got a KO in round one. I cas:ed one of his Wights early on, and continued to break armour and roll KOs and casualties including a Mummy. In short it all went my way, I did get a turnover blitzing his ballcarrier with 2 dice and thus failed to stop his 1-1 TD. But I still had time to win the game even though I had to push my luck a bit for the winning TD.

Think I had 5 cas and several KOs, he managed none of either. The only one of my players not on the pitch was the lineman that got sent off for fouling the mummy (which resulted in a cas)...

So yeah, if you roll good you will win games! :P

Group shot to celebrate:

Mago on
    edited May 2013
    Goddamn those hat feathers are hilarious. Love them.

mrt144 on
    I know! A lot of work and different bits, but so worth it. :)

It's all converted from Warhammer Empire (and an Ogre Kingdom) models.

Mago wrote: »
    I know! A lot of work and different bits, but so worth it. :)

It's all converted from Warhammer Empire (and an Ogre Kingdom) models.

I once had a 2.5k Skaven Army that got lost in the move to Seattle 10 years ago. Really wish I had some rats right now. How do you reflect skills in modelling or is that just impossible?

edited May 2013
    I have never even considered that. Mutations is one thing, where you actually can model horns, extra arms etc, but I don't really think the more regular skills would work.

As long as you have the general size and position down I feel that's enough. I REALLY like the base coloring guide as it makes it so much easier to identify the positionals.

I'm thinking of making small labels with magnetic backs for the skills (as the bases are magnetized to hold the ball) for more clarity in tournaments.

Edit: Loosing an entire army sounds really painful, was it all painted as well?

Mago on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blood Bowl.

I wish I had the time commitment to paint models, I fear buying a team and then not getting them looking good.

edited May 2013
    Mago wrote: »
    I have never even considered that. Mutations is one thing, where you actually can model horns, extra arms etc, but I don't really think the more regular skills would work.

As long as you have the general size and position down I feel that's enough. I REALLY like the base coloring guide as it makes it so much easier to identify the positionals.

I'm thinking of making small labels with magnetic backs for the skills (as the bases are magnetized to hold the ball) for more clarity in tournaments.

Edit: Loosing an entire army sounds really painful, was it all painted as well?

HA, it was so not painted. I had like 250 models as this was 6th ed. I primed a bunch of them and had a regiment of 30 clan rats painted. I wanted to do a black rat theme because i was lazy as fuck and am not very good at it but I enjoyed having at least some models with a purple (like magenta) and red theme. One of my buddies did orcs and goblins and had an absurd but well done pink and purple (almost midnight purple) theme.

For things like GRs and SV it'd be nice if you could make modular attachments maybe using tiny neodymium magnets to attach pieces as they skill up. An extra head here, extra arms there, maybe some big claws for claw. All mutations would be really fun do to.

mrt144 on
    edited May 2013
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Blood Bowl.

I wish I had the time commitment to paint models, I fear buying a team and then not getting them looking good.

Good news is you only can have 16 models max. And there's always the computer games if you really cant be arsed to do it. Honestly I wish I could have the computer turn/roll management with the satisfaction of a well painted army.

mrt144 on
    I'm in a local league that doesn't require you to use GW models, so for the moment I'm just using D&D minis. I should really get my own models, the teams that do have their own look amazing, and I guess that's another part of the problem - fear of painting badly (despite knowing the only way to get better is practice).

mrt144 wrote: »
    For things like GRs and SV it'd be nice if you could make modular attachments maybe using tiny neodymium magnets to attach pieces as they skill up. An extra head here, extra arms there, maybe some big claws for claw. All mutations would be really fun do to.

That's actually how I have build my Chaos team, several magnets and detachable heads and arms. Don't know when I will get around to painting it though. :P

Regarding painting, like mrt144 says it is a lot easier as you at the most will need 20 models for a team. Try to find someone willing to teach you and help you out, you can get really far with very simple techniques. Like a decent basecoat of all the colors and a wash and something on the bases.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Playing against a very well developed (TV 1900) Orc team this weekend with my Chaos. Not only do they have more S4 players than I (thanks to a few of his Blitzers pulling +1S), they have more Block, Guard, and Mighty Blow.

My plan is to avoid contact as possible, play delaying games, wait for him to over-extend himself, and then pick on his players as I can. Two Beastmen with Dodge should help this. Normally I'll go for a big scrum in the middle, but that's not going to work this game.

Got any claw for head hunting?

Not yet. Tried to get Block first.

For reference, my team is here, while this is his.

Managed to pull off the win, 2-1! A Blodging ball carrier helps. Induced Lord Borak, who did his job decently well. The plan didn't quite go according to how I thought it would, and I took a bunch of KOs and two CAS's (including a Niggler on my Minotaur, grr). Dual BWB's kept me in the match man-wise, and some lucky GFIs helped seal the deal. He had a chance to equalize on the last turn, but his pass fell inaccurate and incomplete.

Great news, except for the niggling. I love it when games come down to the last turn, so intense.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Honestly, if I'm going to take a permanent damage result, I'm okay with a Niggler. It only affects him if he gets injured again, which is rare enough. It sucks more that he's out for the last game of the season, against a Lizardman team.

And yes, it is exciting! My first game against this player, earlier in the season, came down to the last turn in overtime before he was able to win it. We apparently are developing a habit of close matches.

I have no idea who I'm playing tomorrow. I'm guessing it's going to be the Chaos team. I'd like to get a crack at the Vampires.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm aware that this question probably doesn't belong in CF, but if I'm interested in trying out the Cyanide version, would I be better off playing it on 360 or PC?

blahmcblah on
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    I'm aware that this question probably doesn't belong in CF, but if I'm interested in trying out the Cyanide version, would I be better off playing it on 360 or PC?

Go with the PC. There have been 3 versions of the game; the first, the legendary, and the chaos. I don't have the chaos edition but would recommend you at least getting the legendary version. I don't believe the Xbox version updated with any of the teams that the Legendary or Chaos added.

Comics, Games, Booze
    edited May 2013
    Played a Goblin team today and won 3-0. Big news on my advancement. My runner picked up block, one of blitzers picked up a point of strength, and I picked up Might Blow with my Slayer.

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    A Blodging ball carrier helps.

Block + dodge = blodging? The word "docking" is right there!

MrBody wrote: »

"Blodging" is the term that's used. It sounds more visceral, and therefore more Blood Bowl-y.

I have a Blodging + Stand Firm Blitzer on my Orc team. He is a thing of beauty.

MrBody wrote: »

Yeah, block+dodge. "Docking" isn't quite the right... connotation... for Blood Bowl. "Blodging" also sounds similar to "Bludgeoning" which is much more like what happens.