As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Young Uncanny Secret A.I. Arena [Avengers] Thread (Now with less Dark)

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    you guys are weird, bro

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Hawkeye is awesome

and I say that as someone who's never cared about Hawkeye before

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I don't really see how someone can find the bro joke funny at this point

it's about as subtle as a house brick though the window

but I guess you might chalk that up to cultural differences

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yeah i honestly didnt think it was funny even in the first issue

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    and yet, here we are

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I still enjoy the bro joke

CYpGAPn.png
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I'm sure we can overuse it.
    frat-bro-dan-meme-06.jpg

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I think Fraction is writing it really well...

Although I would have liked it of there'd been a bit more plot development in the last issue.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I have no problem with it.

But I hate "bros." Wearing that tee would associate me as one to 99.99% of the world.

To be honest I think a lot of the reason why Hawkeye is regarded as being so good is that the whole tumblr crowd really got into it

and thus it is, for once, cool to think a comic book is really good

and Aja definitely deserves the respect he has received because his work on it is great

but it's not as good as Immortal Iron Fist in terms of Fraction's writing, in fact it's not as good as his Defenders either

better than his Thor but then that's not difficult at all

edited May 2013
    I think it has been better than Defenders, honestly. Which isn't a knock against Defenders, I loved that series. It was just ended prematurely and got really really rushed.

I think you might not be liking Hawkeye as much as IIF or Defenders, Solar, is because your taste veers more towards the fantastical and incredible stories in comics. Which IIF and it's magical kung-fu tournaments and Defenders with it's...well, everything very much are. Whereas Hawkeye is the complete opposite and focuses on people living pretty down to earth mundane lives and the superhero action is very grounded and in the periphery.

I could be wrong! But from all our talks and shit that seems like a big reason of you not being as in love with it as many people are.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind Hawkeye's down-to-Earth nature at all, despite my traditional preference for more fantastical stories and superpowered heroes.

Books like Daredevil have always been really enjoyable to me, for example, even if I do like him the most as a magical ninja than a noir mask

I just don't think Hawkeye is particularly well written

it's not bad by any stretch, but it feels a little too cute at times, the bro joke was born on a state pension, the dialogue is fine but nothing to write home about...

I like that book but it could be anyone at all writing it and I wouldn't care one jot. Aja is the guy who is doing all the good work there. When he's not on the book it becomes a perfectly acceptable superhero comic that would probably get cancelled within a dozen issues.

Solar on
    I disagree, considering issues with art by people other than Aja have sold perfectly well.

Aja is a very important part of the book, but I feel you are underselling Fraction's work on the title quite a bit. Clint and Kate's voices are fantastic and if they didn't resonate with fans as much as they have the book wouldn't be nearly as large of a success.

I agree they work better together than they do apart, and the book wouldn't be as big of a hit without either of them. But I think saying without Aja Hawkeye is just "perfectly acceptable" and would probably be cancelled is kind of ridiculous. Especially since we have gotten awesome not-Aja issues already.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2013
    awesome is a bit strong

pretty good, maybe

Clint and Kate's voice don't feel like anything special to me, he's just a regular go-lucky-guy who is also a superhero, she's a pretty cool teenager who is also a superhero

it's the pop art style that makes it all work. If it hadn't been for Aja being on the book from the start, then that fanbase would never have built up IMO.

I get that you like it loads but honestly I wouldn't call the book's writing anything special. Like I said, I think Fraction has done far better work.

Solar on
    Obviously it just comes down to taste, and I know you think the series is pretty good, I ain't trying to go NO YOU MUST LOVE IT.

I love the dialogue because it feels very naturalistic without dipping into the Bendis/Sorkin "Let's go to the thing. 'There's a thing?' 'You don't know about the thing?' 'I didn't know there was a thing!'" well. It feels almost underwritten, but in a good way. Clint doesn't speak in full grammatically correct sentences and frequently second guesses himself right after he says something. It rings really honest to me, and I know that was Fraction's intent.

Yeah the bro joke can be a little overused (I still enjoy it) and it can get a lil quippy but for the most part it feels like the best representation of "real" speech while still being entertaining.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Solar wrote: »
    To be honest I think a lot of the reason why Hawkeye is regarded as being so good is that the whole tumblr crowd really got into it

and thus it is, for once, cool to think a comic book is really good

But I don't pay attention to Tumblr and I think the book is fantastic.

I like it because I like stories about superheroes when they're not being superheroes

I love books about superheroes not being superheroes

the best issues of the Avengers are when they go out to the movies or something

I just don't think that in this particular case, it's tremendously well written, though Blank is right it doesn't dip into that kind of Bendis/Sorkin dialogue

also I am sure that lots of people like the book who are not part of that whole tumblr group but I think the reason it is so widely regarded and has got nominated for Eisners and so on is because of how it has been picked up

I feel that Aja deserved that Eisner nomination, certainly, Fraction doesn't deserve the best writer nomination however.

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    If the Tumblr crowd mattered for Eisners or attention, then why hasn't Kieron Gillen gotten every nomination known to man for Journey into Mystery and Young Avengers?

From a craft standpoint, Hawkeye is absolutely amazing on all ends of the production. You can't pin this book's success on just one person. Yes, Aja is doing some amazing work, but Matt Hollingsworth's colors are taking it to an entirely new level. And Fraction IS doing the work of his career on this book. The writing is about far more than dialogue, though there's the right amount of witty, snappy, fun dialogue that feels very real and isn't very common in comics. Look at what Fraction doesn't write. Knowing when to shut the hell up and let your artists tell the story is a skill, and probably one of the hardest to master, and yet...that still doesn't mean writing isn't happening!

There is way more going on with Hawkeye as a book to put it all on Aja's shoulders, and I'm saying that as someone left absolutely speechless by the layouts and compositions in the book. But the thing is, the other artists that have been on the book have brought the same level of craft. And those issues HAVE been just as strong (ignoring whether one likes a certain style of art or not, of course), and Fraction as the link writing it all should be a clue to another reason for its success.

It's fine to not like the book or not completely understand why it's so well loved, but trying to say that it's one person pulling all the weight or that it's just Tumblr is kind of unnecessary deflection.

...and that was way longer and rantyer than I meant it to be.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    No, it was good!

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    yeah conflating tumblr popularity with 'coolness' seems completely bizarre to me?

tumblr is like 5 steps above 4chan, it is not a tastemaker.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pinterest is more popular than tumblr.

Pinterest.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Hawkeye is fantastic. CASANOVA is Fractions career best, imo. Make sure youve read that.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Balefuego wrote: »
    yeah conflating tumblr popularity with 'coolness' seems completely bizarre to me?

tumblr is like 5 steps above 4chan, it is not a tastemaker.

Personally? I find /co/ more tasteful than tumblr.

/co/ actually likes good comics.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    No, it was good!

;-)

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I think that it's often easy to underestimate how much of an influence the writer is having on the comic because we only see the final product which is primarily defined by the visuals and a few lines of text. Fraction has written Hawkeye with a lot of intent and thought. His craft isn't just in the dialogue it's also the vibe of the book, the world building etc.
    Sure Aja is doing an amazing job but I think Fraction is also helping to paint the mental image of what he wants from the book. I mean the villain that was introduced last issue for example. That is a super intriguing character. It's nt just the art that made him good it was te entire set up. And that's saying something because the art was captivating!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
    this is pretty good

Avengers #1-10 recap

http://youtu.be/DeUfjdNZC3k

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    it's a lot harder to make dialogue sound natural than it is to stylize it.

writing off something naturalistic as not very well written is underselling like a motherfucker

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    I agree, I don't feel that Fraction has done a notably excellent job of that however

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    well we will all just have to agree that you're wrong

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    also if Tumblr had tastemaking power Journey Into Mystery would have won all of the Eisners

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    if tumblr had tastemaking power then everyone would be bishounen

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I will say, when I first read the Hawkeye TPB, I wasn't really blown away. It was certainly well-drawn, and the characters were really endearing, but some stuff fell flat. Like, the twist in The Tape felt kind of arbitrary and pointless. And the Tracksuit Mafia's willingness to go head-to-head with an Avenger, was a bit odd.

But, upon re-reading it, with no expectations, I liked it more. I think it was one of those things I'd have really loved, if I'd gone into it cold. But, I'd been seeing bits of it on Tumblr, etc. for so long that it couldn't help but lessen the impact.

Conversely, I went into the recent Gambit and Scarlet Spider series totally cold, and found them greatly enjoyable.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    If tumblr had taste making power it would have convinced me to use it by now.

Quire.jpg
    Tumblr is actually a pretty great platform for stuff like sharing panels from comics.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Avengers #12 was a step back into the right direction, but Deodato's art is just blah, and it's frustrating because you can see over the photo references some nice page layouts and detail that would work if he could just refine his style back to his old ways. Clint looks like he was traced from some bodybuilding magazine and all the little Savage Land kids feel copy and pasted in some panels.
    Spock is a very good teacher, though. Better than Peter. And I agree with him getting tired of the gods jibber jabber about life (it seems Hickman might be bringing back the Busiek subplot about Thor realizing he's going to outlive everyone on the team, which is a worthwhile plot to bring back compared to others).

And High Evolutionary, of course he would be interested in the kids.

Balefuego wrote: »
    well we will all just have to agree that you're wrong

well

you know that annoys me

because I am allowed to have my own opinion

but if you are going to be like that about it sure whatever

So here's something interesting regarding recent developments in Avengers:
    Okay, so they're in the Savage Land, and Garokk shows up just checking things out, right? So I went to Wikipedia to refresh myself on Garokk's deal, and I found this regarding his next to last most recent appearance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garokk
    When the Savage Land was destroyed by the alien Terminus, Terminus was defeated by the Avengers, his armor ruptured and Terminus himself left to die, but it turned out that this Terminus was just an impostor. Garokk found a suit of Terminus armor and under mental control (presumably by the real Terminus) entered it and started destroying the remainder of the Savage Land. The X-Men fought this "Terminus" and destroyed the armor to reveal Garokk. Garokk regained his free will and together with a machine made by the High Evolutionary, he restored the tropical environment to the Savage Land. This process infused Garokk's essence into the land, causing him to cease to exist as an individual entity.

The mention of Terminus reminded me "wasn't he mentioned in solicits recently?"... It turns out yes, he's showing up in the next issue.
    AVENGERS #13
    JONATHAN HICKMAN & NICK SPENCER (W) • MIKE DEODATO (A)
    Cover by Lenil Yu
    “EVOLUTIONARY LEAP”
    • The High Evolutionary stakes his claim on the Children of the Sun.
    • Hyperion learns the true cost of the decisions he’s made at the Origin Site in the Savage Land.
    • The Return of techno-titan Terminus.

That Garokk/Terminus/High Evolutionary story happened in Uncanny X-Men Annual #12, by Chris Claremont and Art Adams. It was published in 1988... I think Hickman is referencing a thirty-four year old story here, and it's blowing my mind! I have no idea where he's going with it, but it's kind of amazing.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Thanks to Anti, I just read the first three issues of Avengers.

Goddamn this is one hell of a book.

IKknkhU.gif
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The Evolutionary War?

Crimsondude on
    Well that's interesting, the Evolutionary War also involved a bomb that was made to evolve life-forms...