As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    PC makes me want to join a "real" corp, instead of my own corp that consists of RL friends who never play. Im working on getting my k/d up a bit to something respectable so I can get with a solid corp. I should probably just start LFS in the various chats im in and let it happen naturally. But I've never really joined a "clan" before in a game, im used to just playing with my buddies.

It kinda feels like "dating" again. I feel bad, I've had to let down some corps who ask me to join them, and its awkward. "Im not ready for that kind of commitment. Its not you, its me."

Its a lie, I am ready, it was them.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Join a "real" corp. CCP are bad at 'gameplay'. CCP excel at setting up game situations where you really really need to interact with a group.

ergo: finding the right group is of paramount importance.

V1m on
  • Options
    BuzzwordsBuzzwords Registered User regular
    day 2 of the great Buzzwords planetary conquest saga, our enemy forced the attack, but this time we "planned for lag"

basically i just borrowed an entire matches worth of "ringers" from my alliance, and started the game with the bare minimum of my own members. when half of the team inevitably disconnected and froze; my guys (waiting on the bench) were able to sub in midgame quite quickly. i was so proud.

we ended up winning by about 10%

it sucks that we have to build our plan around a broken system, but at least we fought them off...

• Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    So is anybody going to be making a PA group in this game to work together w/ Merch Industrial? I heard they're still alive and kicking. I was in Merch I several years ago (capsuleer name was also Saint Justice) and although I have no desire to get back into Eve, the meta-game has always fascinated me and Dust 514 looks promising. I'd love to be a mercenary supporting the PA EvE community!

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
  • Options
    I love that EVE style betrayal is in DUST already. Though, I do think, from what ive heard, the PC needs more options from a corporation standpoint so they can pick and choose which members are allowed. Even without the "OMG spies" corps are having trouble organizing correctly.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Hm...Is it just me, or is every fight a stomp one way or another? I've been playing for about a week now, and I almost never see any reason to use non-militia stuff. "Well, the enemy team's lost half their clones and we've lost two. I might as well use militia gear and minimize costs." or "Half of my team is trying snipe from the hills while the enemy holds all five NULL cannons. I might as well use militia gear and minimize costs."

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    There are only a couple hundred human beings playing Dust at any given time. Most of the other "players" in each game are actually bots. That's my theory - the alternative is completely losing faith in humanity.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So just downloaded this and played a couple matches. It seems decent so far but perhaps would shine with a group. Do we have an established PA group?

Also are there any good guides on building your dude out there? I want to build towards a logistics support role, keeping my teammates stuck in the fight. But have no clue in what order I should get skills and gear in.

• Options
    First priority is to get yourself into a logi suit. Minmatar and Caldari are probably the best bets right now - Minmatar for the movement speed and 3 high-3 low slots right away, Caldari for the overpowered role bonus to shields and the best slot loadout in the game once you hit prototype level - might get nerfed someday.

600k SP or so gets you Basic Medium Frame III + Logistics III, which puts you in a very nice but still affordable dropsuit. You can plunk a couple militia nanohives on there in the short term and play around with fits until you find out exactly what you want. I recommend toying with Active Scanners and Proximity Mines (for the LAVs, or Remote Mines on objectives if you are playing Skirmish) at your leisure. Nanohives will always be your bread and butter.

As far as weapons go, there is no compelling reason to use anything other than assault rifles except for the fact that they are boring. They have been disgustingly overpowered for more than a year now and this seems unlikely ever to change.

Other priorities are Prototype Shield Extenders and (in my opinion) Kinetic Catalyzers.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Eh, to be honest I think your response put me clean off the game. Thanks for responding though.

The idea of being stuck with the really boring, generic assault rifles of this game for that long, potentially forever, is enough to make me not want to play. I was hoping the gun play was unengaging just because I was still using newbie stuff. Also on top of the general balance issues your mentioned. Bleh.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    It's frustrating alright.

The good news is that you can always come back to it later and putz with passively accrued SP.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    I just want to PvP, so in case I want to keep playing,
    How do I keep out of the EvE drama?
    Just make sure I'm not dropped into any Planetary C. matches? (How?)

• Options
    doomybear wrote: »
    Hm...Is it just me, or is every fight a stomp one way or another? I've been playing for about a week now, and I almost never see any reason to use non-militia stuff. "Well, the enemy team's lost half their clones and we've lost two. I might as well use militia gear and minimize costs." or "Half of my team is trying snipe from the hills while the enemy holds all five NULL cannons. I might as well use militia gear and minimize costs."

I've been seeing both this and the even ones lately. Maybe even a little more of the even matches during the last couple of days. Which is OK with me. :) Or maybe it's just a fluke, and I'll go back to seeing those uneven games again in a couple of days.

• Options
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    As far as weapons go, there is no compelling reason to use anything other than assault rifles except for the fact that they are boring. They have been disgustingly overpowered for more than a year now and this seems unlikely ever to change.

to be fair, the scrambler rifles are pretty close. a small buff to range to give them just THAT over current ARs, and i think they'd be perfectly valid. their DPS is competitive, but you're currently contending with overheats for no good reason.

• Options
    No. The main issue with scrambler rifles is their fitting costs. Way too high, for no reason whatsoever.
    Even if scrambler rifles had range identical to AR/TAR range, you're still at a disadvantage from a min/max standpoint.

• Options
    Except the ability to front load damage is huge. In group fights people tend to duck out are heal, delivering a charge shot to kill them before they think they are close to dying is a pretty big deal.

My issue with scramblers is they have no sharpshooter skill to reduce dispersion. I think this is the problem, because for some reason they are far less effective hip firing than the TAR even though they have better accuracy rating

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Scrambler rifle projectiles are slooooooooooow.
    Or something. It feels like they slow down a lot towards the end of their travel.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular

This is not going to be helpful, but play another game. The entire draw of the game is the connection to EVE and the drama that entails. If you aren't interested in the EVE drama, playing DUST sounds like masochism.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    hoodie13 wrote: »

This is not going to be helpful, but play another game. The entire draw of the game is the connection to EVE and the drama that entails. If you aren't interested in the EVE drama, playing DUST sounds like masochism.

Pretty much. The metagome is the whole USP of DUST.

Still, why not just try it for a while. It's free! Come on.... just a little won't hurt. Tough guy like you can quit whenever he likes...

V1m on
  • Options
    (I was not able to quit :( )

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm just a sucker for a tall, dark, and handsome skill tree.

Edit: Interesting dev post from CCP Remnant;

"We'll be making some adjustments to the rifle ranges in the near future. We're currently testing the Rail Rifle and Combat Rifle internally (the two missing archetypes). Within the assault rifle class the four weapon types will break down as follows:

Assault Rifle (Hybrid - Plasma) - short range
    Combat Rifle (Projectile - Autocannon) - short-mid range
    Scrambler Rifle (Laser - Pulse) - mid range
    Rail Rifle (Hybrid - Railgun) - long range

Keep in mind though that long range for an assault rifle is not equivalent to long range for a sniper rifle, so while they will adhere to existing category definitions don't expect massive differences in the distances between these weapons
    A lot of the original assault rifle variants (Breach, Burst, Tactical) were created to fill the gaps these newer weapons will fill and so might’ve felt out of place (not to mention we just plain made mistakes with some of them). The scrambler rifle’s optimal range will be increased and we’ll be releasing an iteration of the Tactical Assault Rifle with a smaller clip and much wider hip-fire spread making it less effective in CQC. If that change alone does not prove enough we will walk the damage of the TAR down slowly. No big, sweeping changes this time."

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    hoodie13 wrote: »

Poor choice of words on my part. I should have said "griefing" instead of "drama".
    I get that the drama is what makes EVE, and the EVE universe, special.
    I don't mind that. ("Love" is probably a more appropriate word.)
    And I get why some*) find griefing to be sexy fun time. It's just not what I want from my FPS:s.
    I prefer a deep and mysterious unlock system, and/or a tall, dark, and handsome skill tree.
    (And I'm not OCD enough to feel a need to unlock/max all skills.)

So I'd like to keep playing a little more (as mentioned, I can quit anytime, right), but I want to subject my self to a minimum**) of the griefing that PC seems to bring with it.
    (If I wanted the griefing I'd be playing CoD:MW3 HC all day errery day. :P )
    Is this possible?

*) incl. me once in a while.
    **) I know we're still talking about a MMO game, so "minimum" relative to that.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Define "griefing". CCP don't generally go with the "people doing things I don't like" definition. Anything less than a sustained campaign of harrassment for no justifiable in game benefit or threats of RL violence to to be lumped under "PvP. Deal with it."

If you're thinking "But surely that means that I can launch a sustained harrassment campaign in game as long as I can produce a reasonable justification for doing it" then you'd be absolutely correct. I mean that's pretty much what a sustained territorial war is.

V1m on
  • Options
    True. I guess I'm out.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Well here's the thing. Only a small percent of the player base currently participates in PC. Even if you are a member of a corp big enough to participate, you likely have to be one of the top players with skill points enough to allow for proto gear to get involved.

I currently have 6.7 million SP and unless I rushed to proto suits, I cant use them. Core skills costs like 8-10 million alone.

Even if I did have the SP, I am in a corp with buddies. Eventually we dream of being a corp for hire mercenary group, but for now, they are learning the ropes and getting better at the game. Point is, we are playing the heck out of DUST for the skill tree and the unique economic warfare that exists even in public matches. Taking out a 1-2million dollar tank with your 10K suit is a great feeling. Dropping proto or officer gear users with basic stuff is another rush.

PC is a big component to DUST, but it isnt the only part. In fact, a majority of players havent remotely touched it, and most likely wont ever. Its still a fun, unique FPS without PC. The controls are a little below the typical AAA game, but I hear most PS3 FPS games have control issues. For me and my buddies, it sort of feels like a crazy hybrid of Halo. COD and BF3. A little crappier at everything than those 3 games, but because its so more more in depth, it offers its own rewards.

Also, the social aspect is bigger in this game than most. In other games I almost always play with mic off unless im with buddies, in this I will squad up and turn the mic on with randoms far more often.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Core skills aren't really core, though. At this point it costs about 1.3 million SP to run around in a prototype-level Basic suit. Proto shield extenders are another million, and Assault Rifle Op 4 for TARs is like... 500k? That's all you really need, and you can get by with way less if you're squadding. Armor modules and weapon mods make more sense if you've got a squad with a logi, and they cost next to nothing.

@ Commodore

You can't really be "griefed". It's an FPS. If you just want to run in circles and shoot dudes, it's up to you to be successful at it, but you can't really be prevented from at least attempting to play the way you want to play. Just like... make it into a drinking game. Every time you get run over by an LAV, take a shot. Every time you get killed with a TAR, take a shot. Every time CCP nerfs something you spent a million SP on into the ground for no reason whatsoever, finish your drink.

Edit: In other news, I got my respec. And I feel the need...
    1pwfn7.jpg

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    i dunno if this murder taxi thing is interesting counterplay or total dickbaggery...

i was ok with LAVs being able to run people over when you could quickly destroy them with proper AV equipment, keep your head on a swivel and you'd be ok. but now we're seeing logistic LAVs that can eat 5 or more shots from prototype level AV weapons.

it's gotten to the point now where my whole squad has to play bullfighter, bait the LAV into crashing into a wall, and then we pounce on it with volleys of AV grenades during that small window of immobility... and i have prototype Lai Dai packed AV grenades. O.o

i guess they're expensive at least, i made 600k in a pub match against these souped up murder taxis.

Buzzwords on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Suggest proxy mines, or remotes, or even a mix.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    So sok I'm assuming you mainly kill peeps from behind? :)

I like this game because I can go with a speed build and hit and run but today I also started playing with a sprint modded heavy with scramblers

EVERYONE goes after me

616610-1.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I haven't played as much lately but I'm still enjoying the game. There are FPS's out there that are technically better, but something about the EVE tie-in and the skill progression mechanic draws me in. I guess I'm very much a stick-and-carrot kind of guy.

I do like how the game seems to encourage a more cautious approach - I do better when I pay attention to my surroundings; run-and-gunning seems to get punished a bit in this game.

Either that or I suck. :D

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Run and gun can be punished heavily. Really the only way I get away with it is with lots of sprint and/or speed because poor aiming/hit detection means once I get into trouble I can usually parkour my way out of it. Even against the best players, they have trouble killing a guy sprinting around. I have left my buddies to tie numerous times, I feel no shame in this. You want to tank out with armor plates? Good for you, but when 6-10 red dots come charging us, dont expect me to die next to you.

Right now my biggest weakness is my love for one hit, charged scrambler headshots. Attempting them leaves me so vulnerable. But I did manage to spin around once and headshot a guy who jumped me from behind, killing him instantly, once. Almost makes it worth it. I need to play a few days with a "no charging the scrambler" rule to get better acquainted with the gun.

But yes, the FPS game itself isnt the best in the world. But the progression...its so... good isnt the right word. It sucks you in. I drew my buddy in from playing once every other week for a few hours, to every day by sending him a loadout fitting spreadsheet. People make fun of how EVE is spreadsheet spaceships, but I literally hooked a guy into DUST via a spreadsheet.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    I heard this has key/mouse support... but isn't designed with the right linear movement to actually make it feel like proper mouse aiming. Whats everyones take on it with key/mouse?

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's shit. They deliberately gimped the KBM controls to "keep PC players from having an advantage" - their own words. In practice they're straight up unplayable.

But then, the Dual Shock controls are awful too.

Anyone tried the Move controls?

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Badwrong wrote: »
    I heard this has key/mouse support... but isn't designed with the right linear movement to actually make it feel like proper mouse aiming. Whats everyones take on it with key/mouse?

I'm curious about this as well. I almost bought a keyboard/mouse for my ps3 just a bit ago, but changed my mind when i realized that it would be awkward playing on my couch. Instead I walked away with a bluetooth headset for the voices.

...sorry, that wasn't really helpful, was it?

Though I'm curious what the game plays like with the Playstation Move, which I have no experience with. I wonder if it's pretty much like a Wiimote or what.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    It's shit. They deliberately gimped the KBM controls to "keep PC players from having an advantage" - their own words.

But then, the Dual Shock controls are awful too.

Anyone tried the Move controls?

Well damn. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Not to debate whether KBAM is better than joystick. I do just fine with joystick, but I get annoyed by it after a while in multiplayer. I could care less in single player, hell some games like dead space or resident evil, I prefer joystick just because it adds to the survival feeling by making it a tad bit harder and making ammo efficiency harder. But in multiplayer shooters, I just feel like a one legged marathon runner if joystick is my only option.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    I assume 90% of the players are using playstation move, and that's why their movements and aim is so...interesting.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I've tried Move. I have stupid fingers/stupid arms, though, and I consume approximately a pot and a half of coffee every day so the cursor looks like a gnat on meth trying desperately to hover still.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Maybe you should... cut down?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I assume 90% of the players are using playstation move, and that's why their movements and aim is so...interesting.

I've noticed that sometimes if I come face-to-face with an enemy, if I just stand still and take time to aim I can kill them while they're spazzing out whiffing all around me. Sometimes standing still works.

steam_sig.png