As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Odd House comics

The Odd HouseThe Odd House Registered User new member
edited May 2013 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys, Don Wilkinson here. Just wanted to share a comic I just completed
wastingtimeplants1.jpg?w=660

The Odd House on

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hopefully you've checked out our rules and are looking for critique and feedback!

Perhaps you can give us a little more context and talk about what your goals are as an artist, post another comic or two, and give us an idea of how we can help you improve.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Repetition of "the plants" in your second row of panels is a bit awkward.

The comic might have better delivery if you presented it with only the first four panels. More context might make this situation more interesting though. Is this part of a series or stand alone?

• The Odd HouseThe Odd House Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    Haha, yeah, someone pointed out the double 'the plant's thing to me right after I finished the comic, thanks for bringing that up. Hmm, good question, I originally had a couple less panels but for some reason I liked the idea of 8 panels, I had never really drawn that many before and wanted to see if I could do it but maybe went in over my head. I was trying to convey the idea that sometimes when you procrastinate by doing something else, you don't even get that other thing done either and then at the end of the day it feels like all the time disappeared and there must be some fantastical explanation like being physically tied up by the plants and to other people they just look at you funny. This image is just a stand alone, I haven't made any consecutive comics yet, but I would like to grow it into something that followed a story.

The Odd House on
    Yes, I am open to critique and feedback, thanks for asking! So I guess as an artist, until recently I tend to waste time when I want to be accomplishing other things, so I decided to start a comic based on procrastinating and the things we do to avoid the things we really want to do and it has actually helped me to be more successful in accomplishing my goals because I see just how silly it is.

In terms of improving, I want to start learning how to do better hand lettering, improve my colour schemes, compositions and backgrounds. I tend to enjoy drawing the character the most and need to dedicate more time to other parts of the image. Below are a couple more strips from the same series.

wastingtime001.jpg
    wastingtime0021.jpg
    wastingtimetubimax.jpg

edited May 2013
    Oops, this double posted, is there a way to delete this one? Or I guess I can just replace this post later with more content.

The Odd House on
    I get the content of each of these but I don't really understand the intended interest. What market are you trying to tap with these comics? Who are you making them for?

The intended interest? Hmm, I guess I didn't think that far ahead, so far just trying to make my friends and family laugh. Maybe I should consider a more concrete direction.

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    I like the art and big ups on hand-lettering. Not really laughing at any of these though: if they're for you and your friends/family (i.e. full of in-jokes or really specific humor) that's probably okay; if you're trying to make a go of comics for broader consumption it probably isn't. Post more. :^:

header_image_sm.jpg
    Seconding what squid says. You have a nice style going with a lot of personality, which is usually the hardest part for most fledgling webcomics. Problem here is that the jokes are of the "Garfield doesn't like Mondays" variety of observational comedy, which really only works successfully if you can capture something extremely real in a unique way.

You may want to read another slice of life comic like Johnny Wander to see how others in the genre manage to approach similar subject matter and see how it can assist you with delivery.

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    Your drawings are wonderful! And I think if you write about something that matters to you with your expressive cartooning style, it will shine. I can't wait to see more!