As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't Know Much About Comics? Click Here!

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Saga, The Manhattan Projects, East of West, and Nowhere Men.

Agreed with the first three (haven't read NM), plus Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman and Robin, and Batman.

Chew is great, but you really need to start with the first issue. Worth it though.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    how have none of you said Atomic Robo yet?

because Atomic Robo.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i originally had atomic robo in my post but then i remembered it's like a collection of miniseries rather than a proper ongoing

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    that's true

but he still needs to read it

erring on the side of good comics here

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    What good non-Marvel comics should I add to the pull list I'm creating at my (I guess) new store?

Wonder Woman, Dial H (while it lasts), and The Flash are all worth checking out, but you should really start at the beginning with the first two at least.

Also, Saga and The Manhattan Projects, just to join the chorus.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So I read this at the campus library. Does it really end.....
    After he shoots the guy and leaves with his money?
    Because I know payback was based on the original novel (and really good), but I want to know if this is it or is there more to look forward to.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    there's two more books after.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    What are they called, sorry but I'm research paper short on time and would be really happy if I could know right now.

• Options
    The Outfit and The Score are out, with The Slayground yet to come

• Options
    Parker: The Slayground

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I read Chew, Atomic Robo, and Sixth Gun in trades. Actually I may just do all trades. But I heard NM is awesome.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    What good non-Marvel comics should I add to the pull list I'm creating at my (I guess) new store?

It ends in 3 more issues ( maybe 4) so I guess put the trades on your pull list, but

Locke and Key.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Nowhere Men is awesome, and it really takes advantage of the issue format.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    L&K sounds like something I'd collect in trades or absolutes. Same with Unwritten, which I fell so far behind that I am just going to wait for it to end and start over from the beginning with omnibi or absolutes or whatever.

Then again, it did occur to me that I still have 80+ singles and a bunch of trades to plow through. By all rights I shouldn't have to get new comics until 2015. But I'm intent on starting this list. I still haven't read Prophet or Glory and Glory's ended FFS. Though I did notice Saucer Country ended at #14, and I'm intrigued to see how it turned out since I read the first two and the end seems intriguingly ambiguous.

I am really, really hesitant to get anything by DC. I don't like Batman, and those are the series that everyone raves about the most. Well, :/

So I'm down for Captain Marvel, Daredevil, The Activity, Nowhere Men, Saga (need vol. 2),the Massive. Maybe Mind MGMT (haven't read #1 yet), Avengers Assemble, Indestructible Hulk, Young Avengers, or FF. I think I'd rather get those and Hawkguy, the Jake Ellis series, etc. as trades.

I don't really care much about X-Men and I won't read Hickman.

GotG isn't on the bubble so I'll get ##7-8 for Gaiman when they arrive.

I feel like I'm missing something.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    There's always something missing!

My current pull list is

2000 AD
    Über
    The Question
    Ghost

Because the first two are impossible to get digitally and the second two are a bi of a pain to get digitally.

I'm also pretty keen to ad Indigo Prime to that.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    I am really, really hesitant to get anything by DC. I don't like Batman, and those are the series that everyone raves about the most. Well, :/

I don't read many DC books, including any of the current Batman books, but I still feel you're missing out by skipping the few good books they currently release.

Both Wonder Woman and (especially) Dial H are closer to Vertigo books than straight-up superhero comics, and while the new Flash series is a straight-up superhero comic it's refreshingly angst and grimdark-free, and has gorgeous art.

If you're frequenting an actual comic book store, you could browse through some trades and get an idea if they're for you.

• Options
    Oh yeah. I keep forgetting that there are/should be multiple trades out for DC by now.

And "mine" is actually a gaming store with comics. So ... :/ That's one reason I wanted a pull list because they aren't going to get some books I want to read as singles unless I order them.

• Options
    edited May 2013

It ends in 3 more issues ( maybe 4) so I guess put the trades on your pull list, but

Locke and Key.

Speaking of, comiXology sale! Everything is on sale, including the latest issue of Omega. To those that are OCD about their collections, have fun deciding between being up to date or saving additional dollars.

Has anyone read The Activity? Sounds interesting enough, but I never hear anyone talk about it.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    So I keep hearing people praise Kirby. I understand he has a pretty vast body of work and I'm wondering what are some prime cuts that I should check out? To narrow it down a bit I have a hard time reading really old school comics. I'm more of a Year One guy than a Death in the Family guy if that makes sense. I understand that most of his work is probably from that older era but I'm still curious because he must have something that transcends.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    If you want to check out pure uncut Kirby, you should get your hands on stuff like his Fourth World work (like this Fourth World Omnibus vol. 1), OMAC, or Black Panther. Parts of it is definitely going to seem dated, but if you give it a chance, I think you'll see why he's so highly regarded as an innovator.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Get yourself a good 2 page spread loaded in Kirby dots
    Roll up a 20$ bill into a straw
    Grind up the Kirby dots
    Snort them through the 20$ bill
    Watch reality melt away!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    @Bullio I read The Activity. I enjoin it quite a bit.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Is this the right place to ask about Thor comics?

I just finished The God Butcher, enjoyed it, and was wondering if there are any good comics focused on Thor in the past, hanging out with Vikings?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    This is definitely a good place to do that! Here's a couple books I think you'll like:

Thor: Ages of Thunder
    Thor and Loki: Blood Brothers

• Options
    Thank you!

Would you recommend Keiron Gillen's Loki comics as well?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Oh yes, most definitely. They're fantastic.

• Options
    Cool cool cool, thanks again.

Sorry for the endless questions but I'd start with Journey into Mystery: Fear itself right?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Personally, I'd recommend checking out Siege: Thor first, then Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks for the help. I've only just started reading comics so the advice is appreciated.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    No problem! If there's one thing a comics fan likes to do, it's tell people what comics they should read.

• Options
    If you can find the Siege: Loki one-shot, that was also written by Gillen, is really good, and lays some of the groundwork for Journey Into Mystery

• Options
    Ok thanks.

So Siege was a story across the whole Marvel universe right? I don't need to read all of it to follow the Thor/Loki parts?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    The Siege: Loki one-shot is in the Siege: Thor trade, just so you know.

But yeah, Siege was an event story with a bunch of tie ins. That said, I don't think you'll miss anything if you only read the Thor issues and the Loki one-shot.

• Options
    so anyhow I just read Prince of Cats and holy cow everybody read Prince of Cats it is magnificent

• Options
    The Siege: Loki one-shot is in the Siege: Thor trade, just so you know.

But yeah, Siege was an event story with a bunch of tie ins. That said, I don't think you'll miss anything if you only read the Thor issues and the Loki one-shot.

So, Thor Siege and Journey into mystery vol. 1 arrived the other day and they're both great, so thanks again.

I had a look on Amazon for the other Thor comics you suggested but they don't seem readily available? Paperbacks of Journey into Mystery aren't all there either, do they just stop printing stuff at some point?

The other question was about the Siege storyline, a lot of big stuff seemed to happen "off screen" so is there a summary of the events anywhere?

Journey Into Mystery really is fantastic, I appreciate the recommendation.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Wikipedia always has plotline summaries.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ha, I should really have guessed that, thanks.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    There are six collections of Gillen's Journey into Mystery, and most of them do seem to be out of print at the moment on Amazon for some reason.

After JiM: Fear Itself, this is the list:

Vol. 2: Fear Itself Fallout
    Vol. 3: The Terrorism Myth
    Journey into Mystery/New Mutants: Exiled
    Vol. 4: The Manchester Gods
    Journey into Mystery/The Mighty Thor: Everything Burns

Everything gets reprinted eventually!

• Options
    Thanks, Amazon uk actually has the hardbacks available, might get them instead.

Another dumb question, I have no idea who the blonde goddess and her dead lover are in Siege, and I'd quite like to look them up on Wikipedia or something. The plot summary doesn't seem to mention them

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Oh, that's Kelda and Bill, son of Bill. They were introduced in J. Michael Straczynski's Thor run that Gillen took over, before Siege happened.