As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    So Coach, Apothecary, and my extra second runner "Baldrick Butterfist" are all finished.
    Stoutheart%2520staff.jpg

So is my beer pony.
    beer%2520pony.jpg

Finally an action shot from my game this weekend. My opponent has goblin figures on the way, but used some proxies yesterday. The Maurader that is down on his back was the Troll. You can make out Go-Go Goski has the ball. He ended up scoring twice that game.

vs%2520goblins.jpg

So I'm 2-1 at the moment. I lost to a Chaos Dwarf team, but I haven't taken any Casualties at this point so that loss doesn't bother me...much.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Nice!

I'll try to get one more game in with my Humans before the weekend, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it.

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    So... no one here going to the NAF Championship?

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I think we have a few people from my league going, but not I, unfortunately.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Uhg, on a bit of a losing streak lately with Gobling and Dark Elves. Really annoying to just lose again and again.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    MrBody wrote: »
    A Blodging ball carrier helps.

Block + dodge = blodging? The word "docking" is right there!

Yeah, block+dodge. "Docking" isn't quite the right... connotation... for Blood Bowl. "Blodging" also sounds similar to "Bludgeoning" which is much more like what happens.

My goblin team with the Docking pogo stick jumper quaterback was what won me the bowl in my local small league.

The worst team to face was anything with tackle, and those darn Skaven teams. Usually gutter runners are balanced out by their 2 strength, but goblins aren't able to capitalize on that.

MrBody on
    Regarding NAF dice:
    Dear Members

This is always an exciting time of year as the NAF announces new dice. We are keeping this tradition but sadly, after ten years, Games Workshop has brought this great tradition of new block dice to an end.

We tried many angles with GW, but ultimately the licensing department would not renew our deal meaning that, for 2013, a new colour of blocking dice cannot be issued. We have good relations with GW and hope that with continued communication this may change in the future.

This year we will instead be issuing matching coloured sets of 2D6, plus a D8 and a D16. In the great tradition of the NAF, the new colour and unique design will be announced at the NAF Championship 2013 and attendees renewing their membership can get their new dice. A picture of the new dice will go up on the website shortly afterwards.

We are excited about our new dice, however we also have stocks of some of the classic back catalogue of dice and are very well aware that many would like to get their hands on some. So until further notice, when members renew or sign up, we will be able to fulfill their request for block dice. Current supplies are Red, Yellow, Light Blue, Light Green and Silver.

We hope you're as enthusiastic as we are about this fabulous opportunity for NAF members to expand their collections of Blood Bowl accessories. The brand new dice sets will be available from June 1st this year, but members will have the option to request dice from our classic collections (as above) instead.

Happy dice rolling!

Dave
    NAF President

Comics, Games, Booze
    Hmm. Could mean that GW is getting ready to reprint Blood Bowl and doesn't want distractions or competition.

Hmm. Could mean that GW is getting ready to reprint Blood Bowl and doesn't want distractions or competition.

I'd be shocked if GW is reprinting. They treat BB like abandonware.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well, guess I'd better sign up for the NAF while I can still get block dice.

After losing 4-5 game in a row on fumbbl, I had a tie yesterday and 2 wins today. I think any time you get an AG4 Gobbo you need to use an AG4 Gobbo for the launchings. If the Troll has Strong Arm, all the better.

And now I have a new shirt to wear for this Sunday's game. The picture is too dark but you get the idea.
    brewers%2520shirt.jpg

Comics, Games, Booze
    So I go to play today and we have 5 teams. Since I'd already played twice on the first day of the league I offer to sit out.
    I'm helping get the other games started and start painting. Then the Chaos Dwarf player comes in and wants to play. We played each other on the first week but decided for a rematch. The Ziggurat Steelcurtain is the team that is responsible for my only loss so far. I'm a little worried.

First half I kick off. I manage to take out the hobgoblin that picks up the ball. Eventually my lineman Garik the Foul manages to get the ball (Still not sure how he actually picked it up). Garik's hopes are short lived though and he is quickly tackled. A Steelcurtain hobgoblin manages to get the ball and heads off towards the endzone. The Brewers are locked in place, we bash as hard as we can but no one can get to the gobbo. With 1 turn left in the half the Steelcurtain scores. This is just like the first game we played, evenly matched but his team does just a little better than mine. It's how he won.

Second half and the Brewers line hit hard. Crag Frostrock and his guard ability pay off big time. Go-Go Goski has the ball and we're driving quickly up the side. Despite blocking by a blitzer and a slayer Goski is knocked to the ground. The slayer and blitzer clear the path and Baldrick Butterfist picks up the dropped ball with easy. He runs it and and the game is tied.

I'm kicking off. I call a blitz and the Brewers scramble into action. In one wide zone I have a slayer and a blitzer heading towards the ball. The rest of our teams are locked in place, but I'm breaking armor left and right; even Chaos Dwarf armor. The Brewers are relentless and finally on my last turn of the game Baldrick Butterfist manges to get the ball into the endzone.

The game ends with a 2-1 victory for the Stoutheart Brewers! My record is now 3 and 1. I can't wait for next week!

Comics, Games, Booze
    edited May 2013
    Congratulations on the win Ken O!

I had a blast at the NAF Championship. Friendly people, good venue, nice hotel, fine weather etc etc. Will definitely consider going back.

Ended up at place 60 with 3 wins and 3 losses, I'm pretty satisfied with that. Two of the losses were proper beatings where the Norse teams (stupid Norse) just kicked the snot out of me. I had a desperation attempt for a tie in one of them but it did not pay off.

The third loss was against Skaven and there I think I got a little over-confident after my domination in the first half (1-0). I failed to secure the ball enough after I knocked it loose in his offense in the second half. A failed pickup by me and some dodges by him later he managed to tie 1-1. Then he proceeded to roll a blitz and steal the ball from me for a 1-2 loss. :/

Mago on
    No matter how you plan, the kick off table can completely change the direction of the game. It's one of those things that I love and hate about the game.

Was it your first big Blood Bowl event?

Comics, Games, Booze
    Yeah, skaven and blitzes are game changers. Although I did the unthinkable against another team on fumbbl - I had the ball landing in the endzone so I threw my AG 4 goblin to the vicinity then 2 gfi'ed to the landing spot on the Blitz and caught it for a TD. 0 turn TDs

Yeah, the blitz just topped it off. If I had played safer he would never have gotten the 1-1 goal and it would at least have been a tie. Oh well. :P

I played at the EurOpen at last years Eurobowl, but this was my first major.

That's just hilarious mrt144! :D

The playoffs in our local league is approaching. It's possible I might be offered a spot as I'm pretty high up in the reserves list with my relatively new High Elves and you never know when someone cannot make it. I'm not sure if I would take it though as it's bash heavy:
    Chaos
    Chaos
    Chaos
    Chaos Dwarf
    Chaos Dwarf
    Dwarf
    Lizardmen
    Lizardmen

actually other than the 3 dwarf teams, i think you would have a decent enough shot since nobody is going to take tackle in the chaos and lizardmen realms and dwarfs of all types have it anyway. Given how bashy it is too, there might be the chance that you'll have to face some and field some journeymen and elven journeymen are great. I'd do it on a lark.

Yeah, it might be worth a shot. With that much bash I suppose the AV8 of High Elves is probably a good thing, though odds are at least some of those Chaos and CD teams will have Claw/MB. Besides, it'll be a challenge! And everyone will look forward to playing you - "Finally, someone who doesn't match me in Strength all the time!"

Woo! Made it into the playoffs for my league with a 2-1 victory, in overtime, against the Lizardman player. Given that he beat me 3-0 the first time we played, I consider this an improvement!

In a related note, Chaos teams are so much better when they actually have skills!

You didn't click the teams did you? I think there are three teams that isn't horrible...

So I played my first league game with Dark Elves yesterday. Went up against rookie Chaos.

Botched the offense and he managed to get the ball loose and move in on me. It took a while but in the end I got it back and made a break for 1-0. Only suffered 2 KOs in the fistfight around the ball so that was a bit lucky.

In the 2:nd half he didn't secure the ball enough and I managed to get through, get it free and punt it towards his end zone. He only got a lone beastman there and I did some dodging and managed to blitz him down, pick up the ball and GFI for 2-0!

His second offense was much better and in the end I could only force him to do a 4+ dodge, 3+ dodge and then a GFI. Of course he failed the GFI even with the reroll... :P

First half really felt like we both were rookies, my dice got better though, not really his. Think he rolled 6 skull/both down during the game.

• SpamSpam Registered User regular
    Mago wrote: »

That Minotaur is disgusting! - 52 casulaties, 13 kills!

I've just started playing again in the last couple of weeks, helping to organise a saturday morning league at a local cafe which has been going well so far.

I'm playing a Norse team, and loving the fact that I've got Block across the board on all my guys, but still don't really know what I'm doing tactics-wise, anyone got any hints and tips?

Spam wrote: »

I'm playing a Norse team, and loving the fact that I've got Block across the board on all my guys, but still don't really know what I'm doing tactics-wise, anyone got any hints and tips?

The entire team is nasty. Only built to hurt you... The problem with perpetual leagues I guess. :P

If I were playing Norse I would go for crowd-pushes all of the time! 5 Frenzy. :)

Spam wrote: »

I've just started playing again in the last couple of weeks, helping to organise a saturday morning league at a local cafe which has been going well so far.

Try to hit people, and avoid getting hit in return as much as possible. AV7 doesn't lend itself to health against 2-die blocks, particularly against developed teams. Grab the ball and cage, play a running game on offense; on defense, try to stall in front and hit people on the sides and rear. Guard will be an important skill. Always make your opponents fear crowd-pushes from frenzy, even if you don't always do it.

Guard is such an amazing skill. One player with guard in the right place can change all your one die blocks to two die blocks.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • SpamSpam Registered User regular
    Just played my 4th match of the league - tough one vs an Amazon team that I lost 2-1, still, no major casualties and I killed one of his in return (well, she went down on a failed dodge re-roll and broke her own neck so I don't get any points for it, but it still counts in my eyes!). No skill ups unfortunately, so not got guard on any of these guys yet, but working towards it.

Team photo:
    th_2013-06-01004554.jpg

Big guy at the back ain't in the team yet, but he will be when i get enough gold saved up.

Page 3? Surely not!

I'm thinking of going for a bashy team in the league next season to improve my Blocking game and get some goddamn casualties and survivability. Elves are a lot of fun, and my Humans were hilarious but I might need a change.

I'm thinking Orcs. Chaos seems so slow to develop and the two Dwarf teams seems, well slow... Is there some other team I should consider?

Orcs immediately give you a lot of options. It's a strong choice.

I finished our 4 week Spring Training with a 3-1 record. The Training league proved we had enough interest to keep something longer going so we're going to start a new league in July. Coaches can carry over their Spring Training teams if they want and we got the okay to play games on days other than Sunday if both coaches can't make it on a Sunday. Just from the Sunday games I think we're going to be getting 3 or 4 new coaches joining.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Good to hear that your league is getting momentum.

edited June 2013
    Page 3? Surely not!

I'm thinking of going for a bashy team in the league next season to improve my Blocking game and get some goddamn casualties and survivability. Elves are a lot of fun, and my Humans were hilarious but I might need a change.

I'm thinking Orcs. Chaos seems so slow to develop and the two Dwarf teams seems, well slow... Is there some other team I should consider?

Orcs can be difficult to play until you've got skills on them to deal with defensive abilities like Block and Dodge. (Block, Tackle, etc.)

DarkPrimus on
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Orcs can be difficult to play until you've got skills on them to deal with defensive abilities like Block and Dodge. (Block, Tackle, etc.)

I don't get that. Orcs have a ton of skills right at the start.
    Blitzers have Block. Throwers have Sure Hands and Pass. Goblins have Dodge and Stunty.
    Your Black Orcs don't have any skills but you get the 4 Strength.

Comics, Games, Booze
    Ken O wrote: »

I don't get that. Orcs have a ton of skills right at the start.
    Blitzers have Block. Throwers have Sure Hands and Pass. Goblins have Dodge and Stunty.
    Your Black Orcs don't have any skills but you get the 4 Strength.

I mean going in with a new Orc team against more seasoned, skilled teams. If you are all starting from square one, it can be different.

And speaking as an Orc player, 4 Strength doesn't mean jack if you keep rolling block/down. Of course, my Black Orcs have infamously bad luck, so maybe it's just me.

And speaking as an Orc player, 4 Strength doesn't mean jack if you keep rolling block/down.

Some days the dice are just going to make you their bitch and there is nothing you can do about it. One of the guys in the shop wanted to try out Wood Elves. He tried 3 passes and got double ones on each attempt.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That's some hella long odds that. One in over 40,000 in fact.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Norse or Orcs are probably the best Bashy teams to start with. Orcs have a ton of skills and access to S4, while Norse starts everyone with Block and a few Frenzy players. Both are relatively easy to score with as well, so you can get skills on players. In a short league, Norse might be a bit better, but they're definitely not survivable.

You could also take a look at Necromantic or Undead teams as well. They also get some S4 players, Wights with Block, and Necromantic teams have Werewolves. Regeneration on everyone (except Ghouls) means you can deal with casualties very easily.

Until those Black Orcs get skills arent they mostly just roadblock pieces and opportunistic blockers against ST3?

Depends how confident you are in your 2D blocks, and how willing you are to spend team rerolls on them. Casualties and MVPs are usually the only way they're getting SPPs, so you need to throw the blocks with them when you can to even get Block.

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    That's some hella long odds that. One in over 40,000 in fact.

The odds of rerolling a 1 in Blood Bowl and having it come up a 1 again is about 50:50.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Blorcs is fer smashin puny catchers.
    A pair in your backfield can reach anywhere if placed right and there aren't many catchers with Block out there. Plus if you catch em on a sideline, the crowd could end up doing your job for you.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.