As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[12 YEARS LTTP] Chrono Trigger

1101112131416»

• Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes we do.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You can certainly say "Well, if the future was destined to be changed anyways and already did, then why isn't all that stuff changed to begin with". But eventually you have to sit down and realize we have a game to play here.

It's my belief that a true blue, realistic physics time travel game would really suck ass.

"Welcome. The future is in peril. You need to travel through time and unravel the mystery to prevent your world from an upcoming apocalypse. But... your past already contains your journeys and efforts, and you already saved the world 400 years ago. So... you don't have to do a thing. Congratulations, you win!"

Alternate ending:

"You already saved the world. But, now you never do save it because you never learned it needed saving to begin with. Hmm, that's a bit of a pickle. Enjoy your paradox."
    boom.jpg

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Question. How the hell do you heal Fiona's forest? I can never get to that part. I just keep talking to her and she repeats the same damn line. Arg! its annoying.

Spoilr'd for the new
    When you are in Zeal there is a woman with a sapling. I forget if she asks you anything at that point, but if she does, give her the plant it/care for it answer. After Zeal gets destroyed, go to the survivor village in the Epoch, and talk to her, and tell her to "plant it with hope". After that go to her house in 600AD, talk to her and her hubby twice, do the underground stuff, then talk to her with Robo in your party.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm inclined to believe that the writers had no real idea how to handle time travel and accidently created a whole bunch of plot holes, which they half-assedly tried to cover.

jothki on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Actually, there was a text adventure online called "All Things Devours" that had a decent time-travel element. You could change things, but never interact with yourself. So you had to strategically stare at walls in order to allow yourself to travel back and affect things. without being seen by yourself.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is the pink giant dog with a lisp male or female? It'll bug the hell out of me until I know.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    According to Wikipedia Poshul is female. I think some of the characters also refer to it as "she" on occasion.
    But it's been so long since I've played it, and really I don't think I could go through it again.

see317 on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was reading this thread and I'm still at about page 16 but dammit I had to jump ahead and voice my opinions

Chrono Trigger is a fuckawesome game, and I can't say it any more clearly than that. The story, music, and characters all together overcome the graphical limitations of the SNES to make a game that I appreciate more today than any of the Oblivions or the Bioshocks or the World Of Warcrafts.

A few things:

This, for one. I've only ever played the SNES version, so when I saw this a few months ago I was absolutely blown away.

Black Dream, the Black Omen's theme. Fuck yes. One of the most striking bits of music I've ever heard. (Putting it alongside the entire soundtrack)

To Far Away Times almost makes me tear up. Almost.

Also, best scene in the game:
    Lavos. Not the shell, but not the final form. Standing there, when Lucca says something about it absorbing power from the Earth, guiding evolution and even human society all as a vehicle for gaining more. How all of human existence has been guided from the start to serve Lavos.

And then someone each says something and enters battle pose. And the music starts up and it's so epic and oh god I want to play it right now

Also, all life begins and ends with Nu.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Lavos. Not the shell, but not the final form. Standing there, when Lucca says something about it absorbing power from the Earth, guiding evolution and even human society all as a vehicle for gaining more. How all of human existence has been guided from the start to serve Lavos.

And then someone each says something and enters battle pose. And the music starts up and it's so epic and oh god I want to play it right now
    I still prefer Chrono vs Lavos, 1v1. No expository dialogue, they stare off at one another for a few moments, and then Chrono draws his sword and Lavos summons his pods. They know the score, they know what is going to go down, and they know it is time, and has been time for aeons.

Also, what is the progression of Ayla's fists in the + games?

Pjstelford on
    edited August 2007
    Pjstelford wrote: »

I still prefer Chrono vs Lavos, 1v1. No expository dialogue, they stare off at one another for a few moments, and then Chrono draws his sword and Lavos summons his pods. They know the score, they know what is going to go down, and they know it is time, and has been time for aeons.

Also, what is the progression of Ayla's fists in the + games?
    The story was never really about Crono to me, though- he was never the foremost protagonist, just the one you met first. That's how well the characters were fleshed out to me. Lucca, Robo, Marle, Frog, Magus, Ayla, they all have scores to settle with Lavos, and they all have a stake in the outcome.

That and Lavos has no expository dialogue. Another thing that was so awesome. He was never a wordy villian- if Lavos was ever a he at all. Lavos is just Lavos. Primal, hungry, but still malevolently intelligent.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited August 2007
    It's a fair bet that if a PS1 game was made in the 90's it has an anime sequence somewhere.

core tactic on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Question. How the hell do you heal Fiona's forest? I can never get to that part. I just keep talking to her and she repeats the same damn line. Arg! its annoying.

Spoilr'd for the new
    When you are in Zeal there is a woman with a sapling. I forget if she asks you anything at that point, but if she does, give her the plant it/care for it answer. After Zeal gets destroyed, go to the survivor village in the Epoch, and talk to her, and tell her to "plant it with hope". After that go to her house in 600AD, talk to her and her hubby twice, do the underground stuff, then talk to her with Robo in your party.

Ah! Thanks! I did it once when I was a kid but that was more luck than anything else.

brandotheninjamaster on
    edited August 2007
    I've replaced Mojo with Guile, and once I get something better like Glenn, he'll go in instead of Poshul. Onward, to Viper Mansion!

core tactic on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was reading this thread and I'm still at about page 16 but dammit I had to jump ahead and voice my opinions

Chrono Trigger is a fuckawesome game, and I can't say it any more clearly than that. The story, music, and characters all together overcome the graphical limitations of the SNES to make a game that I appreciate more today than any of the Oblivions or the Bioshocks or the World Of Warcrafts.

A few things:

This, for one. I've only ever played the SNES version, so when I saw this a few months ago I was absolutely blown away.

Black Dream, the Black Omen's theme. Fuck yes. One of the most striking bits of music I've ever heard. (Putting it alongside the entire soundtrack)

Not to nitpick, but... *puts comic book guy shirt on*:P

One, it was Magus who said that. Two, that was a mistranslation.
    Magus: So, since the dawn of time, it has slept underground, controlling evolution on this world for his own purpose..." was the line.

Magus: It's slept underground and kept on making the the evolution of all life on this planet its own..." is the translated line.

Everybody else, even in the english script, just says that Lavos took all the DNA from the the planet's history for itself to grow. NOT that it actually guided and created evolution. It's the basic difference between just being a parasite and... well God.

Though, I must admit, it's a hell of a lot more evil and fucked up if Lavos was basically the God and Creator of the world up to that point. But like I said, everybody else just says parasite. So, Woosley just fucked up the line, totally changing the meaning. Here, I yanked from here what everybody says in the english script.
    Marle: It's...humanoid... it seems like it has collected all of the vitality from the creatures who have lived on this planet.

Lucca: Now I understand. It lives on a planet for as long as possible, stealing away the most vital resources... It combined the DNA it found here with its own, and gave birth to those creatures up on Death Peak. Eventually the young must migrate to other planets...to repeat the cycle...

Robo: This was Lavos's goal...! Using the DNA of every organism... And achieving the ultimate in evolution!

Frog: This be evil! Indeed! This thing possesseth the vitality of all living creatures... It hath harvested DNA from animals, only to further its own evolution! And whilst sleeping, to boot!

Ayla: This smell like Ayla's land!. Reptites, Ptero, Nizbel. Ayla, and [member1]! Smell like all people I know!!... Smell of all living things!!

Sorry, don't mean to geek out like that. But it's a pet peeve of mine when in translation somebody completely changes the intent and meaning of a piece of dialog.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

A few things:

Not to nitpick, but... *puts comic book guy shirt on*:P

One, it was Magus who said that. Two, that was a mistranslation.
    Magus: So, since the dawn of time, it has slept underground, controlling evolution on this world for his own purpose..." was the line.

Magus: It's slept underground and kept on making the the evolution of all life on this planet its own..." is the translated line.

Everybody else, even in the english script, just says that Lavos took all the DNA from the the planet's history for itself to grow. NOT that it actually guided and created evolution. It's the basic difference between just being a parasite and... well God.

Though, I must admit, it's a hell of a lot more evil and fucked up if Lavos was basically the God and Creator of the world up to that point. But like I said, everybody else just says parasite. So, Woosley just fucked up the line, totally changing the meaning. Here, I yanked from here what everybody says in the english script.
    Marle: It's...humanoid... it seems like it has collected all of the vitality from the creatures who have lived on this planet.

Lucca: Now I understand. It lives on a planet for as long as possible, stealing away the most vital resources... It combined the DNA it found here with its own, and gave birth to those creatures up on Death Peak. Eventually the young must migrate to other planets...to repeat the cycle...

Robo: This was Lavos's goal...! Using the DNA of every organism... And achieving the ultimate in evolution!

Frog: This be evil! Indeed! This thing possesseth the vitality of all living creatures... It hath harvested DNA from animals, only to further its own evolution! And whilst sleeping, to boot!

Ayla: This smell like Ayla's land!. Reptites, Ptero, Nizbel. Ayla, and [member1]! Smell like all people I know!!... Smell of all living things!!

Sorry, don't mean to geek out like that. But it's a pet peeve of mine when in translation somebody completely changes the intent and meaning of a piece of dialog.

There is the troubling fact that CC seems to lean towards the idea of Lavos being more like an evil manipulating creator/god, engineering human society so it can consume its benefits.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know what would've made people like Chrono Cross a lot better?
    If Guile was actually Magus. Seriously. If you're not going to actually make the guy Magus, and you were going to originally, don't tease us like that. Just take the dude out of the game.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    How's Skelly? Is he good? I don't want to pass up using a skeleton clown.

core tactic on
    edited August 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    If Guile was actually Magus. Seriously. If you're not going to actually make the guy Magus, and you were going to originally, don't tease us like that. Just take the dude out of the game.

Yeah, that is my opinion exactly.

Skelly is one of the worst characters in the entire game, for those keeping score at home.

Most of the characters fall into two categories; those that are awesome, and those that are average. Both groups are bigger than the third group; characters that suck balls. Skelly and Pierre are the primary members of that group. All other characters are better than them. Yes, even the fungus dude. And the bunny girl. and the Lucho-libre exorcist, the fairy, the turnip guy, the plant, and the gay dog.

I use Skelly every once in awhile because he looks cool though, and I have actually beaten the game with every single character.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited August 2007
    Well you dashed my hopes.

Also, why can a dog use magic anyways? Do they ever explain it?

core tactic on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Youtube comments just broke my brain.
    Was watching a Lavos vs Magus battle and saw this in the comments as people where talking about design similarities between Dragon Ball and Chrono Trigger:
    connorness14 (4 weeks ago) Marked as spam
    Is it possible this came out long before DBZ and is just a style of anime... hmm I wonder...

That's either the stupidest fuck on the planet or he's suggesting time travel even more confusing then what's discussed in this thread.

see317 on
    edited August 2007
    Youtube comments are often more baffling than the worst temporal paradox

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Skelly is one of the worst characters in the entire game, for those keeping score at home.

Most of the characters fall into two categories; those that are awesome, and those that are average. Both groups are bigger than the third group; characters that suck balls. Skelly and Pierre are the primary members of that group. All other characters are better than them. Yes, even the fungus dude. And the bunny girl. and the Lucho-libre exorcist, the fairy, the turnip guy, the plant, and the gay dog.

I use Skelly every once in awhile because he looks cool though, and I have actually beaten the game with every single character.
    I used Pierre and Fargo on my first playthrough.

Pierre is the bearer of the Hero Medal, so my love of Frog would not allow me to do otherwise, and Fargo is a Pirate, so he was an easy choice too. I mean, c'mon! Pirate!

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Pierre is the bearer of the Hero Medal, so my love of Frog would not allow me to do otherwise, and Fargo is a Pirate, so he was an easy choice too. I mean, c'mon! Pirate!

How good does Pierre get once you find all of his stuff?

jothki on
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »

How good does Pierre get once you find all of his stuff?
    Mediocre.

His big downfall is that he can't cast many spells. (IIRC)

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Youtube comments are often more baffling than the worst temporal paradox

Try and create a youtube comment so stupid people will know it's a troll.

Protip: It's impossible.

Thank you xkcd.

Pjstelford on
    edited August 2007
    So my party is Pip, Serge and Doc and I'm about to storm Fort Dragonia for the first time. I switched in Doc over Glenn, just like him more.

core tactic on
    edited August 2007
    I just got to Chronopolis, and I laughed really hard when I got into a battle with a ghost and she said; "Hi, I'm Amber, and I'm 16! My interest is sucking......Blood!"

core tactic on
    edited August 2007
    I just got to Chronopolis, and I laughed really hard when I got into a battle with a ghost and she said; "Hi, I'm Amber, and I'm 16! My interest is sucking......Blood!"

That doesn't sound like Chronopolis, that sounds more like the Dead Sea.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited August 2007

Yeah, that was it. My mistake.

Also, it's pretty depressing when you get to Miguel.

core tactic on
    edited August 2007

I've fought him with three Black Inates before, it was FUN.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited August 2007

I've fought him with three Black Inates before, it was FUN.

I've got Sprigg and Starky with me.

core tactic on
  • SuprMelOSuprMelO Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This thread got me all hot and bothered so I had to make some Chrono Trigger music. If you care to listen it's on my myspace page. The song is titled "Sambacross Time". To Far Away Times...in samba!

SuprMelO on
    edited August 2007
    I lost. Time to restart.

core tactic on
    edited August 2007
    WHAT THE HELL. I USED SEAL ALL ON HIM AND IT HIT EVERYONE IN MY PARTY, BUT MISSED HIM.

core tactic on
    edited August 2007
    It came down to just him and Starky, but I won. Guess only him and Sprigg get a star.

core tactic on
  • Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I forgot how CC worked. Did everyone get a star, or just the ones in your party?

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I forgot how CC worked. Did everyone get a star, or just the ones in your party?

Everyone gets a star. I was kind meh on CC's leveling system. I liked that in a normal game you would have a challenge, but one thing I like about the endgame of JRPGs is becoming retardedly powerful, and you never really seemed to get there with CC.

LockeCole on
    edited August 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

Everyone gets a star. I was kind meh on CC's leveling system. I liked that in a normal game you would have a challenge, but one thing I like about the endgame of JRPGs is becoming retardedly powerful, and you never really seemed to get there with CC.

Everyone get's a star, yes, but if they're dead they don't get the stat boost from the star. Starky was down to 50 health, Sprigg automatically revives at the end of battle if she's killed while transformed, and Serge missed out. It doesn't really matter though, he's still by far my strongest character.

core tactic on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

Everyone get's a star, yes, but if they're dead they don't get the stat boost from the star. Starky was down to 50 health, Sprigg automatically revives at the end of battle if she's killed while transformed, and Serge missed out. It doesn't really matter though, he's still by far my strongest character.

As long as you have the stars, you seem to eventually get the correct stats from fighting random monsters. The system is a little odd though.

LockeCole on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd like to play through Radical Dreamers some day to see what kind of changes they made between that and CC. I remember seeing a lets play thread about it one time and thought the first-person narrative was surprisingly good.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857