As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 5/22/13: Yeah, I could do that.

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
Uncanny X-Men #6, Cyclops is tired of Dormmamu, and Maria Hill finds her latest agent:
uncannyxmen6a_zps3ae3e72a.jpg

uncannyxmen6b_zps130a7124.jpg

uncannyxmen6c_zps7a8f4bf2.jpg

uncannyxmen6d_zpsab2b6114.jpg

Avengers #12, the team spends a day in the Savage Land teaching the Zebra kids (Zbeebies lolz) some lessons, Spider-Man and Hawkeye differ on curriculum:
avengers12a_zps7c5c1bda.jpg

avengers12b_zps92b3ab0c.jpg

avengers12c_zpsd6524c5b.jpg

avengers12d_zps0fbb2f90.jpg

avengers12e_zpsd8e0cc8c.jpg

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Uncanny Avengers continues to to be the best thing

Kang's trophy room:
    UA%209.jpg

Remender also keeps teasing
    Red Skull as Onslaught

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I love UXM, I really really do. Its the only $4 comic I'm willing to buy.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Havent really gone through the comics yet, but here's a scene from Green Lantern #20
    C53pUW7.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So...

That's actually pretty good. As someone who digs the idea of the Lantern Corps, but isn't really invested in the Lantern comics in general, and certainly hasn't looked into that corner of the New52 universe, let me ask: is the Lantern family of comics doing well in the New52 world? Are they worth picking up?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    apparently that issue is the best green lantern's been in three years

That's... unfortunate.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I read my friend's copy

Yeah, it is Johns at his best. Taking plotlines from every single part of his run and tying it all together in a massive action-packed finale that has a satisfying, and happy ending.

CYpGAPn.png
    But is the preceding content worth reading? Is it good on its own? Or, alternatively, is the ending so good that it's worth slogging through the mediocre lead-up?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Simon Baz's introduction was hamfisted as a motherfucker but the character himself is actually pretty alright

and the Sinestro arc prior to that was fun as heck

Basically since the reboot it has ranged from pretty good to oh god another crossover why would you do two of them back to back

CYpGAPn.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    New Guardians has also been alright. I haven't really enjoyed Red Lanterns or GL Corps all that much.

Green Lantern has been pretty great since Sinestro Corps War. I still think that was the highpoint though. Everything else is still worth reading.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Are all the Lantern books getting new creatives next issue?

From the changes I've seen, it looks pretty cool.

Also, it will almost be Valiant lite, with Venditti and Jordan writing.

• sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Yep, Venditti is on Green Lantern, Van Jenson is on Green Lantern Corps, Jordan is on New Guardians, Soule is on Red Lanterns, and Giffen is on the new Larfleeze book.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So, Kang is always from an alternate future Earth, right?

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    X-Men: Legacy is the best X-book. The 'I did it five hours ago.' book. The 'I'll make the Reality. And they'll never bloody know it was me." book.

What does that book have in store for us today?
    e6DO9JC.jpg?1

jpwwAZK.jpg?1

7XH358O.jpg?1

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    No mention of Daredevil or Journey into Mystery yet? Both of these books are killing it every issue.

Daredevil was especially full of great moments this week.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I love JIM. It's like the book that Fearless Defenders wants to be.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Has anyone read Dream Merchant? It seems to be getting good reviews, but I've only seen the headlines the writer tweets.

I picked it up (due to Munch's recommendation), but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Hope to get to it soon, and then I'll let you know what I thought.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    This was an enjoyable Deadpool week. An A+X team-up with Hawkeye, and the main book had a Spock team-up vs. The Blandtastic Four (they beat up Batroc, Chance, Paste Pot Pete, Taskmaster, and Lady Stilt-Man. Yes that's five not four).

Also makes for rule 34 fodder.
    KrbldIx.jpg

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Is Deadpool good? The premise of the first arc didn't really do it for me.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm liking this second arc much more than the first arc (which I thought was okay, but went on for a few issues more than it really needed to).

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Has anyone read Dream Merchant? It seems to be getting good reviews, but I've only seen the headlines the writer tweets.

The art is borderline hypnotic, it's rough but fluid, a lot like Quentin Blake's art. The story is rather eh, and the main character feels like a self insert. It's not bad but it's nothing really original compared to other Image books (yet). You do get something like 40 pages in the first issue, which is commendable.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Oh I totally forgot that I pulled that too! I read it and I thought it was nice. Some people might have that dream/fantasy genre coming out of their ears at this point and find it generic but I only read a tiny bit of Sandman and nothing else in that vein so I found it quite interesting.

The art is definitely really nice (for some reason I was super into the pink lettering for the bad guys) and it's basically a double issue in terms of the page count.

For me the jury is still out on the writing. There are some things that aren't explained in much detail
    like why the girl is so completely fine with running away with this dude from the mad house
    but so far I actually kind of like that.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm really liking how Image has been changing. At least in my own perception of things, I keep getting more and more surprised that it's not just Spawn books over there, and now they've really begun turning into something that's a bit like Dark Horse and a bit like Vertigo in terms of outward appearances. Image really has a good unified front of what that brand is trying to stand for these days, which every publishing house ought to aspire to.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I'm really liking how Image has been changing. At least in my own perception of things, I keep getting more and more surprised that it's not just Spawn books over there, and now they've really begun turning into something that's a bit like Dark Horse and a bit like Vertigo in terms of outward appearances. Image really has a good unified front of what that brand is trying to stand for these days, which every publishing house ought to aspire to.

Image's current direction is why I am not thar broken up over the slow dismantling of Vertigo. You get the same quality of books - often from the same creators - but without the occassional corporate bullshit that led to things like the endless post-Gaiman Sandman spin-offs and pulling issues in reaction to school shootings.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Image are an amazing company. They're firing firing on all cylinders at the moment and I hear the deal they give their creators is more than fair. I heard on a pannel borders interview that they ask for a payment of a few thousand which comes from the initial sales and everything after that is all creator profit. Plus the creators keep all rights.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    i just really like Chew and Saga. and Spawn was what got me into comics so Image has a special place in my heart and collection

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    So Dormmannu is weak against emanations from the Punch Dimension, huh.

8aVThp6.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Emanations that have been affected by Pheonix possession, yes.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ah heck, I'll go ahead and toss this one out.

Green Lantern #20
    "He was the spark..."

green_lantern_20_finale.jpg

H9f4bVe.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    So, Kang is always from an alternate future Earth, right?

well technically, aren't all future Earths "alternate"?

I just realized that nobody's posted a Young Avengers moment, and that just won't do.

In Young Avengers #5, Loki shows up when he's least expected.
    byMl7cr.jpg

CpYxwEu.jpg

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Ah heck, I'll go ahead and toss this one out.

Green Lantern #20
    "He was the spark..."

green_lantern_20_finale.jpg

The wrong hero is in the center of that picture.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    But are you the least bit surprised?

Hal Jordan, greatest of the Lanterns... because I said so, don't ask why.

But are you the least bit surprised?

About Sinestro being right? No.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I, for one, am glad Ethan Van Sciver ignored the new Star Sapphire costumes and instead drew them with their tits hanging out.

keith what did your mother tell you about lying

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    She told me "Son, it's time to tell the truth"

she broke down

and I broke down

because I'm tired of lying

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    The Bounce #1; "It's a whole new vibe bubbling up from the underground. Seeping up through the sewers and the subways. Can you feel it? Don't fight it. Just breathe. Get ready for a peak experience."
    GIJsioJ.jpg

I tend to run hot or cold on Joe Casey's stuff, but I'm definitely digging this. Jasper Jenkins, an average twenty-something stoner, is The Bounce, a human superball. Something of a layabout, he still seems to be a good guy at heart, throwing himself into harm's way to stop a supervillain.

Weirdly enough, the whole book's giving me something of a Seven Soldiers vibe. David Messina's art has a bit of a Yanick Paquette vibe for one thing, and then there's this whole idea of superheroes as something weird, just at the edges of society, and affecting it in different ways.

The first issue felt a little too scattered, not spending enough time with Jasper to get a clear sense of him, and veering off to showcase what I'm guessing is the main antagonist, a bit too early. But, so far I'm really digging it.

Daredevil #26; "Face me like a man!"
    BnGLOE0.jpg

Good issue, and I'm just waiting for one last swerve. I know it's coming, and I know it's going to be amazing when it finally happens.

Nowhere Men #5; "All that time you thought I was sick? Turns out I just had a really bad case of telepathy."
    avKAW1c.jpg

Man, I love this book. It's the superscience book I've been waiting for, for years.

Knuckleheads #2; "Two weeks ago aliens implanted this jagged doohickey on my right hand-- it's a cosmic weapon called the Crystal Fist."
    VzO6Q6t.jpg

eplTHfB.jpg

THCHATU.jpg

This issue felt a little slow, but it's still 10 pages of content for just $1.

Subatomic Party Girls #1; "Of all the things I thought I'd have to deal with today, space pirates weren't even on the list."
    2JSEJGd.jpg

jG3uwhk.jpg

On the other hand, this felt like a lot of bang for your buck. Very dense, with a story that moves at a quick clip, fun characters, and some great art.