As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oddball non-MTG cardgames?

skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
So I've got way way too many different card games to even think about toteing all of them around but PAX is probably the only place I'll ever actually get to play any of them, so if anyway is actually interested in playing any of these (as in, I can bring extra decks for you to use just so I can play. :P) let me know so I can make some in the next week (and review the rules). If you have your own cards, so much the better! (I make no promises on deck quality other than they will be roughly equivalent. :P) Most interested in the * ones and will probably bring them anyway. Might update this if I find the rest of my cards in the next couple days.

*Guardians (I also have 7 or 8 sealed playable starters if anyone is interested in a mini-tournament type thing)
*Netrunner
*Illuminati
Hyborian Gates
Rage
Jyhad (I can probably make 4ish tolerable decks, but not really worth playing with only 4, so need people with their own cards and a few hours to blow)
Star Trek: TNG (Small amount)
Star Wars (Small Amount)
Middle Earth: The Wizards (Complicated, not to be confused with the LotR ccg)

why are you smelling it?
skarsol on

• TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I play some oddball ones (or have in the past anyway), but I can't say I have played any of these, unless you are talking about Decifer's Star Wars game (the original CCG with rules not even the game designers understood).

TrainwreckX on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I play some oddball ones (or have in the past anyway), but I can't say I have played any of these, unless you are talking about Decifer's Star Wars game (the original CCG with rules not even the game designers understood).

Yup, thats the one! :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited August 2007
    skarsol wrote: »

Yup, thats the one! :P

How the hell do you play? I have about 15 of the really rare named cards from that one. I would think that would make me good at it, but i have no idea how to play, so i never used Darth Vader or the Death Star in a deck.

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2007
    I dunno, I havent played since it was new. :P I'd have to go back through the rules again beforehand, thus my asking if it was worth me doing so. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm trying to contact a friend to bring his eve ccg stuff.

I've got the d&d three dragon ante (it's an ok substitute if youre retarded like me and can't play poker), think that's all I'm going to bring. I have battletech cards, but not enough to make functioning decks, and I doubt the pirates game counts, heh.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I played SW:CCG (Star Wars for those who didn't get all used to the acronyms :D ) at the last PAX, or the one before it (can't remember). Good stuff. Unfortunately I won't be tehre this year but next year hit make a post and I'll set up an informal "teach SW:CCG" session in the tabletop section for you guys and anyone else who wants to learn. That card game's the best I've ever played by far, and it still is to day.

And no, the rules aren't hard to understand.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited August 2007
    I played SW:CCG (Star Wars for those who didn't get all used to the acronyms :D ) at the last PAX, or the one before it (can't remember). Good stuff. Unfortunately I won't be tehre this year but next year hit make a post and I'll set up an informal "teach SW:CCG" session in the tabletop section for you guys and anyone else who wants to learn. That card game's the best I've ever played by far, and it still is to day.

I think the RULEBOOK is hard to understand. I just don't know anyone that knows the rules well enough to teach me. Probably because the game has been dead for years.

TrainwreckX on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OMG, I might have to bring my giant bag o' Star Wars cards. I remember when my friend got me into it in High School. He traded all my good cards for his shitty ones because I didn't know any better.

"Hey, I'll trade you Luke for that Star Destroyer."

"Okay, dur, Luke's a jedi!"

No, it was farmboy Luke. The only thing he does well is whine and get bitch slapped by sand people.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't believe no one said Munchkin yet. Pfft... and you call yourselves geeks?!

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Munchkin is sweet. That said I won't be bring it. That said, pending on time delivery, my group should have a complete set of blue moon and all expansions. We will be in byoc, but saturday is looking like we are going to do lots of random shit, so we might come out.

ThePimpImp on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't believe no one said Munchkin yet. Pfft... and you call yourselves geeks?!

Hell yeah, we can bring Munchkin and Munchkin: Bites

Officer on
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I won munchkin bites and the first expansion at a munchkin bites tournament i won at the con at my university we have every year. Good times.

ThePimpImp on
  • timebeingtimebeing Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Netrunner is one of the best CCG games ever designed. I don't want to haul my whole collection since i'll likely be bringing MTG and WoW decks. But I'll bring a runner and Corp deck (will rebuild them a little before then).

I may also bring a few Star Wars TCG decks. A fun game to play also.

Also need to build a few Battletech CCG decks, but don't think I'll have time.

timebeing on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Lunch Money yet.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited August 2007
    timebeing wrote: »
    Netrunner is one of the best CCG games ever designed. I don't want to haul my whole collection since i'll likely be bringing MTG and WoW decks. But I'll bring a runner and Corp deck (will rebuild them a little before then).

Yeah, I was really sad when Netrunner failed. :( I'll put together a deck, but been ages since I played so I guarantee nothing as far as it's quality. :P (Never got any Proteus cards either)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pimp: The Backhanding

The most epic card game ever to come to tables. White Wolf... you rock.

Officer on
    edited August 2007

Yeah, I was really sad when Netrunner failed. :( I'll put together a deck, but been ages since I played so I guarantee nothing as far as it's quality. :P (Never got any Proteus cards either)

been some time for me too so i got to look up the rules for deck building. trying to make a set so i pulled a lot of my 1 of rares from the 2 decks i had. have some unopened proteous packs but don't think i have any singles.

timebeing on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

I totally don't remember how to play anymore, so that would be a might awesome thing for you to do. I've got a couple decks, I just don't know anyone to play with.

b0wser on
  • FatcapFatcap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can bring a ton of illuminati cards.

But I only play Iron man illuminati grrr.

Fatcap on
    edited August 2007
    Fatcap wrote: »

A quick google didn't produce any info on that ruleset, summary?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • ZankaboZankabo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lets see.. my 'oddball' card games tend to not be collectible ones:

Munchkin (and all the version of it) (though gotta get my friend who is coming with to bring em, for he owns em, not I)
    Tablestar Games stuff (Cyberspace, Shogun, etc)
    Chez Geek
    Pink Godzilla Dev Kit
    And all kinds of stuff from Cheap Ass Games

Zankabo on
    Better a witty fool than to have a foolish wit....
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    WTF, no one has Killer Bunnies?!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    STAR WARS CCG? STAR WARS CCG!?!?!?!

Yeah....

So if you bring it, he will play.

Seriously, if I had my collection with me I'd bring it or have it shipped out, but didn't know I could get my force drains on out here. I was one of the original Squadron Members for Decipher (Gold 33 represent!) and ran tournaments and helped with conventions for several years. But man, I haven't played or ran a tournament for that since around 2000. Still though, I'm sure it's like ridin' a bike so if you've got the cards and/or some starters, bring 'em on out and PM me if you're interested in playing or learning to play.

Same deal with Doomtown CCG, although I just sent those all back in storage as well, but if someone's got the goods, I'd love to throw down.

bigpanda on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh. Em. Gee.

You've gotta teach me how to get my Netrunner on.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My friends and I collect DBZ card game. I have x10 more then magic cards cuz I had to out collect my friends lol. Also got Star Trek Next Generation card game cuz my cousin a long time ago played it.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Crimminy, I haven't played Netrunner in ages...

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I will see if I can find my Starwars CCG, Heresy(Mtg and Netrunner mashup), guardians, magi nation, disk wars, AVP(but not Terminator, that sucked balls), and whatever else I can find.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    edited August 2007
    so i built a Runner and a Corp deck. they are both pretty generic decks nothing very tech about them. Also have 4 Star Wars TCG decks. Going to bring bring 2-4 Buffy TCG starters, and 2 Hecatomb Starters too. Thats beyond my WoW and MTG decks.

timebeing on
    edited August 2007
    so i built a Runner and a Corp deck. they are both pretty generic decks nothing very tech about them. Also have 4 Star Wars TCG decks. Going to bring bring 2-4 Buffy TCG starters, and 2 Hecatomb Starters too. Thats beyond my WoW and MTG decks.

K, I should have my netrunner stuff put together tonight. I should be able to check my pm's on here during PAX if you want to meet up at some point. I'd be interested in trying out the Buffy game. :) Otherwise I'm bringing a few Illuminati decks, Fluxx, Chez Geek, Guardians starters, and maybe Star Wars if I find time to put a deck together.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • M0nk3y-Z-M0nk3y-Z- Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

O_o There's a Buffy game? O_o

I'm planning on bringing some Lunch Money and Gloom, just in case.

Is there a time and a place for TCGs/CG to take place?

M0nk3y-Z- on
  • chadmchadm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would love to play Jyhad / Vampire and could probably create a few decks.

chadm on
    edited August 2007
    So has anyone played both Star Wars CCG and TCG? How do they compare? I'm still carrying a large grudge against the TCG for numerous reasons.

bigpanda on
    edited August 2007
    bigpanda wrote: »
    So has anyone played both Star Wars CCG and TCG? How do they compare? I'm still carrying a large grudge against the TCG for numerous reasons.

The TCG is much simpler and fast moving. Its all about combat. Has a dice element that some people like or don't like. Games can be very quick some time or longer, due to the luck of the dice.

And I was very annoyed at Wizard for "killing" the game and not saying anything. They never did make an official announcement of its death, just kind of stopped making stuff. I even emailed them many times to find out the deal and got the run around.

the older CCG is kind of complicated, lots of rules and weird interactions. Step learning curve i would say. Long games

timebeing on
    edited August 2007
    M0nk3y-Z- wrote: »
    O_o There's a Buffy game? O_o

There was. Score made it. 4 Sets plus a gift box set. Very cheap to pick up on the secondary market (5-10 a box) Was pretty fun if i do recall, but its been some time since i played. picked up the boxs to sometime crack them and make sets and decks..

Sadly don't have time to learn or make some Mechwarrior Decks. Another great game from what i can tell that was killed of before it could grow (licensing issue). Got a nice collection form someone. need to learn it.

Harry Potter TCG is another fun game. It pretty much just Magic light, but its got a great theme to it. Don't have enough lose cards to make decks yet.

timebeing on
  • FrogFrog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SW:CCG was the most challenging CCG game I ever played. It is similar to Chess but without a limit on the type or number (generally speaking) of specific cards you could place in your deck. It was all about balance and knowing how to counter whatever anyone else could throw at you.

The basics were pretty strait forward.

1) Build a deck with 60 cards, including at least one location. The locations (which you were forced to at least have one to start with unless you had a objective card) were what gave you force.

2) Force was what yo used to put ships, characters and special effect cards into play. They were counted off the top of your deck and spent, or saved, however you wanted, but when you ran out of force you lost. So if you were to compare it to magic and other games, was your Life force (deck) was your life, mana, and dice rolls (for battles and termed Battle Destiny).

3) Basic dynamic of the game was make the other person throw their Deck into their discard pike (graveyard) until nothing was left. This was done by using red cards, force drains, and battle damage to make them discard from their desk, hand, or force pile.

None of that probably made any sense, but neither does the rule book until you see the game being played by someone who really knows how to play it. It is one of the few CCGs that a higher level of skill is clearly displayed against a weaker opponent by the card choices that went into making the deck. Best part was none of the cards were ridiculously overpriced so most of the players could get the really good ones and make a strong deck.

Anyways... I also enjoy the easy stride of playing Overpower, not to mention the cool card designs.

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    You guys are starting to make me pine for those days of SWCCG. I played extensively and was a Squadron Member/Tournament Director for Decipher from '96-2001. The CCG was definitely one of the most enjoyable CCG/TCG experiences I ever had.

Once they lost the license to Wizards and they didn't use the same engine I boycotted the TCG and refused to play. I've always wondered how it compared, but I definitely agree that the CCG was more along the lines of Chess where there got to be a steep learning curve as the game progressed. However, most of the "side" rules didn't usually come into play very often unless someone was playing a theme type deck such as Death Star, Echo Base on Hoth or Jedi Training on Dagobah. Most often decks were usually battle oriented although things like operatives and swarm decks really ruined a lot of what I felt was fun about the game. I especially liked trying to track your destiny draws as the game wore on. Sense and Alter battles could be pretty fun too, especially when you and your opponent would get into a S/A war that would deplete half of each deck.

Sigh. Good times.

bigpanda on
  • StomStom Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll be bringing a Fluxx deck as well.

Stom on
    Doug "Stom" Hill
    Game Designer - Black Lantern Studios
  • FatcapFatcap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fatcap wrote: »

A quick google didn't produce any info on that ruleset, summary?

When a group is destroyed, you have to rip the card up. Also, if the game involves drinking, you have to eat the card too.

Fatcap on
  • KaneKane Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Highlander CCG? Anyone?

Vs. is a great game in theory. I have yet to play it, though. Bought an entire box of "Marvel Knights" from Half Price Books for dirt cheap.

Kane on
  • M0nk3y-Z-M0nk3y-Z- Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Stom wrote: »
    I'll be bringing a Fluxx deck as well.

Someone just hit my awesome list...

hard.

Fluxx is a great game sober. While drinking, it becomes a much better spectater sport. It's great!

M0nk3y-Z- on
This discussion has been closed.