As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

'07 Console Tournaments: Rules and Info

124»

• yoshi1001230yoshi1001230 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zig21 wrote: »
    Right now we have no need for extra hardware or games, but thanks for offering. If any supply issues come up, we'll let everybody know.

My decision had nothing to do with whether or not hyper mode is a cheat. The issue is a matter of convenience for both players and staff. Since hyper mode is enabled from the main menu and GH2 is going to be insanely popular, the last thing I need is time wasted cycling between menus and re-entering codes. If it can be toggled on or off from another menu AND there's widespread demand for it, I'll consider allowing the use of hyper mode. I'm definitely more lenient toward its possible use in later rounds, but at this point there's no reason to further complicate pools. Even though I'm not close to the hardcore GH community, I've yet to see any widespread demand for hyper mode among PA fans. If you have a better idea of how many hardcore players are coming, let me know.
    Would it be appropriate or rather ok with you if I started a thread polling the PA community about it?
    I'll understand if you would rather me not, and I'll even delete this post if you think it might cause turmoil.

yoshi1001230 on
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    I don't think we need a new thread for that. If people have strong enough feelings about it, they can post them here.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also what zig says on a tournament is law.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    Also what zig says on a tournament is law.

Also, what Zig says about anything is law. HE IS THE LAW.

dredd.jpg

TrainwreckX on
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Would it be appropriate or rather ok with you if I started a thread polling the PA community about it?
    I'll understand if you would rather me not, and I'll even delete this post if you think it might cause turmoil.

Very few attendees actually check the forums, so any poll on this matter would not be very accurate.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • PAX_Virgin2007PAX_Virgin2007 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    2 WEEEKSSSSS!!! AAAAAA...... What do i need for the shadowrun tournament...do i need to put together a team or what...?

PAX_Virgin2007 on
    edited August 2007
    .....there is no Shadowrun tournament.:?

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2007
    Theres a shadowrun contest in BYOC and Console freeplay (PC vs xbox), its not an official PC/Console tournament.

BigRed on
    edited August 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    Theres a shadowrun contest in BYOC and Console freeplay (PC vs xbox), its not an official PC/Console tournament.

But by god that would be cool if it was!

TrainwreckX on
  • AerothornAerothorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I suck pretty bad at SSBM, but I enjoy it nonetheless and will try and make it signup before all slots are filled.

Aerothorn on
    edited August 2007
    I was just talking to a friend of mine and he made the comment about how he went to a guys house and the guitar was all muffed up and the strap was missing, so it made me think to ask, what shap will the guitars be in and will the straps be present for them?

**edit**

Will there be any songs that are going to be completely taken out of the roster for possible plays?

yoshi1001230 on
    edited August 2007
    I can tell you that in past years everything at PAX has been in really good shape, except for Gamecube controllers the first year. I'm pretty sure it will all be nice stuff, probably donated from a sponsor or something.

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2007
    We'll do our best to make sure that all guitars and controller are in good condition. As for song selection, everything besides DLC is fair game.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2007
    I had another thought today regarding the GH2 tourneys, today at a local GH2 tourney some guy kept "accidentally" hitting the pause/start button during parts of the song that would mess his opponent up, is there anything to be said on this Zig?

yoshi1001230 on
    edited August 2007
    Pausing wasn't an issue last year, and most attendees don't really care when it happens. If it becomes a problem, we'll probably just issue a warning and DQ them when it happens a second time during the same song.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The placement of the start button on the 360 guitar controller seems out of the way, but while playing I have accidentally hit it on several occasions, with the rule zig has though, it seems fair, as they will be worried about hitting it. GEnerally its only whe i'm lazy with the whammy bar that I hit it though. Just make sure you call over a tourney organizer/judge to give the warning while it paused.

Also what about teams, are you allowed to pause, it doesn't affect your oponents at all.

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    The 360 orb button to bring up the dashboard is the most common thing hit.

BigRed on
    edited August 2007
    Restarting the song is another option. As for teams, I guess you could pause but it'd kinda screw up your team's score.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2007
    Restarting the song is another option. As for teams, I guess you could pause but it'd kinda screw up your team's score.

Could do a song restart unless both parties agree to continue (like if it was paused/dashboard'ed in a long drum solo section or something).
    If it screws up someones note streak then it isnt cool.

BigRed on
    edited August 2007
    Ya true, I guess leave it up to the person who didn't commit it, whether to restart or continue, but still have a second offense be a dq. You probably want it to be second offense in the tourney, not per round, that will make intentional use of this end fast. Keep track of the warning on the brakect if they advance. Accidental use (my prob) will force you to be mroe careful. That said, I'm going to be watching, so hopefully it doesn't come up often.

ThePimpImp on
  • NikolisNikolis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    regarding team tournaments:

For GoW which is teams of 4, is it possible for teams of 2 to sign up and get thrown together with 2 other players, or when signing up do you have to have a 4 person team ready?

EDIT
    Thanks, and sorry, I could have sworn I read it all the way.

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
    edited August 2007
    Yes, incomplete teams can sign up. See the first post for details.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i just played strikers for the first time yesterday, any chance of it replacing mario cart next year?

artifice on
    edited August 2007
    We considered adding the original Strikers last year, but it wasn't very popular among PA fans. As for Strikers Charged, we'll wait and see how it does between now and next August. It won't replace Mario Kart Wii if that comes out on schedule.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2007
    We considered adding the original Strikers last year, but it wasn't very popular among PA fans. As for Strikers Charged, we'll wait and see how it does between now and next August. It won't replace Mario Kart Wii if that comes out on schedule.

I say have them both. I am ABSOLUTELY ADDICTED to Charged, and I freaking hate soccer. Best Wii game available IMO. I've played it more than Zelda.

TrainwreckX on
  • DMNDMN Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    After talking things over with Zig, a couple of things to keep in mind for GH:

1) Hard will be the absolute lowest difficulty allowed. This is the lowest difficulty all five frets are used, and as such, keeps the game fair.
    2) In the rare event of a tie, a song will be picked from the two songs not chosen at random to break the tie.
    3) Expect me to put together another list of fun songs for the last three matches =P

DMN on
    edited August 2007
    DMN wrote: »
    After talking things over with Zig, a couple of things to keep in mind for GH:

1) Hard will be the absolute lowest difficulty allowed. This is the lowest difficulty all five frets are used, and as such, keeps the game fair.
    2) In the rare event of a tie, a song will be picked from the two songs not chosen at random to break the tie.
    3) Expect me to put together another list of fun songs for the last three matches =P
    Whoa whoa now, I don't like the things that seem to be poking me in the eye between the lines of number three, what are you planning :(

yoshi1001230 on
    edited August 2007
    FYI, the winner of the GH2 tournament will only receive a prize if they can beat "Jordan" on expert.

...while blindfolded.

...with their hair on fire.

Yes, I'm kidding...or am I?

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2007
    does teh gh2 teams tourney winner have to beat jordan on expert while in one of those 2 man horse suits to get their prize? This only seems fair.

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    Of course, and said horse costume will also be lit on fire. We're going for a theme, damnit.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited August 2007
    Good call, athough the team will have an advantage, in that one of the players can see, sorta. But i guess having a butt in your face makes the other player a liability.

THe fire is irrelevant if you won ther tourney anyways. You have to be so hot that you burn fire.

ThePimpImp on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How about we just put a bucket on each players head.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    tempting, but it would be better if all of the above were required

ThePimpImp on
  • artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hey i thought i would put some last minute input on the smash stages, you guys have the following stages listed even tho they are usualy banned in tournments

peaches castle, onette, venom, yoshi's island (past),

not a big deal but would be a nice cleanup of the list sence most matches will only be one match. my source is http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/List_of_stages

artifice on
This discussion has been closed.