As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Xbox One Thread in which we don't discuss Used Games.

1939495969799»

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    that is odd

oh well, at least you can just tape over it or turn it around

presumably, nope. Microsoft has confirmed that the Kinect patent for visual DRM is being applied to the Xbox One.

This link is hardly convincing on its own. The latest update also has Microsoft specifically confirming nothing except that applying for a patent doesn't mean it will definitely be used.

Hence, "presumably." This is sort of fears Microsoft should rush out to quell immediately if they aren't grounded in reality. Silence only makes fears grow.

Adding one word to cover your ass doesn't count for much when you're using a link that gives us no useful information in order to drive discussion. I want to keep tabs on this thread but I'm having a harder time justifying it when it's full of baseless speculation.

The fact that I provided citation makes it not baseless. I didn't make up what I just said. I'm repeating information reported.

You don't have to believe what I write - I don't believe everything being reported either. Let the users on this site decide. So long as everybody is aware where these claims came from and who made them, I'd assume everybody on this site is smart enough to draw their own conclusions.

I wasn't "covering my ass," by the way. We're just talking in this thread. I'm not being grilled, I'm not on trial, I'm not trying to sway opinions on the Xbox One. Your own post sounds way too wound up, just try to relax and participate in the discussions.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Raslin wrote: »
    Is backwards compatibility really such a big thing? I mean, to me, the large majority of consoles I've owned(which is a lot... My parents were gamers when I was young) haven't had it. The only console that has it this gen is the WiiU, and ps3 is experimenting with streaming but we'll see if it works out. I'm no fan of the Xbone, but really... Xbox has never been backwards compatible, it seems a bit silly to me that its expected now, especially due to the architecture change.

On a side note, I think either Microsoft or Sony has a huge opportunity to basically plug in more gamers to their systems. Due to both being x86, I wonder how hard it would be to port over some PC only games to the system. Especially big F2P games like League of Legends, Planetside2, perhaps Hawken, etc. Some of them would need KB&M, but I would be shocked if either didn't support them through usb.

it is to me .... if my wii breaks (lawl) It'll be nice to not have to buy a new or used one to play my 40+ wii games

For me I didn't own a Wii, so when I got the WiiU I immediately went out and bought some Wii games.

Not being able to play my PS2 games anymore when it eventually broke also sucks because I didn't get a PS3 until after they discontinued that model.

For me personally, backwards compatibility is a big deal. In the case of the WiiU they (as far as I understand it) made a Wii emulator on the system. I don't care HOW it's implemented, but that aspect is an amazing feature on my WiiU and one of the major factors in my decision to buy one.

To be clear, it's not a "Deal breaker" but it is a very valuable feature to me.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I sort of care about backwards compatibility

don't care about it for the xbone since I have a 360 so I haven't really missed out on anything

but backwards compatibility for the PS4 would be nice since I haven't played any PS3 exclusives

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Is backwards compatibility really such a big thing? I mean, to me, the large majority of consoles I've owned(which is a lot... My parents were gamers when I was young) haven't had it. The only console that has it this gen is the WiiU, and ps3 is experimenting with streaming but we'll see if it works out. I'm no fan of the Xbone, but really... Xbox has never been backwards compatible, it seems a bit silly to me that its expected now, especially due to the architecture change.

On a side note, I think either Microsoft or Sony has a huge opportunity to basically plug in more gamers to their systems. Due to both being x86, I wonder how hard it would be to port over some PC only games to the system. Especially big F2P games like League of Legends, Planetside2, perhaps Hawken, etc. Some of them would need KB&M, but I would be shocked if either didn't support them through usb.

it is to me .... if my wii breaks (lawl) It'll be nice to not have to buy a new or used one to play my 40+ wii games

I bought Punch-Out Wii last week on eBay and am currently playing it on my Wii U. I bought Hotel Dusk from GameStop the week before and am playing it on my 3DS. Currently the majority of my game time is spent playing Persona 3 FES on my PS3.

Yeah, backwards compatibility is a pretty big thing.

For me personally backwards compatibility is a big deal. In the case of the WiiU they (as far as I understand it) made a Wii emulator on the system. I don't care HOW it's implemented, but that aspect is an amazing feature on my WiiU and one of the major factors in my decision to buy one.

It's not emulation, it's hardware compatibility. It's different from the case of the PS3, where the underlying hardware was fundamentally incompatible with the PS2 and, instead, they simply included an entire PS2 inside to run games. The WiiU is archetecturally a descendent of the wii. Just like how a motorola 68EC030 cpu will run motorola 68000 cpu software because they share the same opcodes and the 030 descends fro the 68k, so too does the WiiU hardware with that of the Wii.

The way they'd have to handle BC on the Xbox One or PS4 would be akin to how the PS3 handled it - including an entire system on a chip inside. That could potentially dramatically increase the price of these consoles.

I bought Punch-Out Wii last week on eBay and am currently playing it on my Wii U. I bought Hotel Dusk from GameStop the week before and am playing it on my 3DS. Currently the majority of my game time is spent playing Persona 3 FES on my PS3.

Yeah, backwards compatibility is a pretty big thing.

Oh yeah don't get me started on the Virtual Console stuff. That got me hooked like mad. I've been playing classic NES and SNES games all week.

That is another wondrous feature I would like to see in the other consoles.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    For me, Xbox One backwards compatibility isn't a HUGE deal, but it would be nice.

That way you could presumably play an Xbox 360 game, then say if some of your friends sign on, you could play an Xbox One game with them without switching consoles.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I think the only time I've used backwards compatibility is for GBA games with my DS. For the Wii I took advantage of the console being compatible with Gamecube controllers but didn't play any Gamecube games on it.

Nintendo consoles are pretty much the only ones I anticipate backwards compatibility on so other consoles lacking it isn't a big deal to me.

• slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    shryke wrote: »
    I want to pull out a game I enjoyed 10 years prior and play it. Maybe 20 years. I have been able to do that with every video game up until recently.

I want to enjoy a game that I paid $50-$60 whenever I damned well please. I have been able to do that with every video game up until recently.

The way things are going, this next generation signifies the complete and utter destruction of playing a video game from a previous generation.

Huh? It's the exact opposite. Your games will be as permanent as the hardware they play on and the account you keep with X company.

It's as permanent as your Steam directory of games which is pretty fucking permanent as these things go.

Shit, this makes games EASIER to find since they'll be on a server somewhere and you don't need to track down a disk.

This is MS switching everything to a Digital Download gaming paradigm while still keeping the disks around as a way to distribute the files.

Yeah, it's all fun and games until your Kinect breaks, you get banned from XBL for any one of a million reasons, your internet gets shut off/goes out, or Microsoft comes out with another system/decides that they're not making enough money, and shuts down those servers.

Then, you will not, and will never have access to the games on your discs ever again, even though the system and the discs are fine. Well, unless Microsoft offers an opportunity for you to purchase the games again.

That's the problem.

20 years from now, you'll be going through your attic/garage, find the ol' Xbone, remember all the fun you had playing Game X, and you will not be able to play the game. Maybe you want to show your child the games you played and enjoyed growing up (before the holodecks were invented), and unless Microsoft is still making enough money to justify keeping those servers up, that system, along with all of those $60 discs, are gone forever.

You can still play an Atari 2600 35 years later. You can still buy used games for it, and they'll still work (well, most of the time). No matter how much care you take in maintaining your Xbone, it's completely up to Microsoft at any time to allow you to play your game, whether it's at launch or 10 years down the line.

Don't allow them to dictate where, when, and how you play a game you purchased, and what you do with it once you're done with it. That's not their right. It's yours.

slurpeepoop on
    edited May 2013
    I think the only time I've used backwards compatibility is for GBA games with my DS. For the Wii I took advantage of the console being compatible with Gamecube controllers but didn't play any Gamecube games on it.

Nintendo consoles are pretty much the only ones I anticipate backwards compatibility on so other consoles lacking it isn't a big deal to me.

Same here for the most part. I WANT to see it on the PS4 or Xbone, but really I only truly expect it on the Nintendo ones. I can play DS games on my 3DS, I can play Wii games on my WiiU, I could play GC games on a Wii, and they even took it a step further this time with the Virtual console bringing back classics from my childhood like Super Mario World, Kirby, Super Metroid, Earthbound, Megaman, etc.

In this case it seems like they are marketing more towards my tastes than the PS4 and the Xbone are. PS4 will probably still get me for their exclusives, but Xbone at this point has not shown anything that makes me remotely think they want me to buy their console.

I'm fine with that though because I'm coming to the realization that I'm not who they are targeting anymore. I don't like Halo, CoD, sports games, Racing, I don't care about watching cable on my console (heck I got rid of cable in general a year ago). Pretty much every "feature" they are trying to push is for a gamer that I am not.

I bought an Xbox 360 and loved it at first, and slowly stopped buying games for it. I STILL buy games for my PS3 so they still know what I like. I'm just not THAT gamer the Xbox is trying to sell to.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I like the rumor about the seperate addon for the xbone that just plugs in to the main console and has a 360 processor in it so you can play old games through the xbox one

that seems like a good solution for the people that want backwards compatibility and are willing to pay for it instead of lumping the extra cost on to every console regardless of whether the buyer is ever going to use the feature or not

Slurpee, do I have the right to give my rights away if I find them unimportant. I don't regret using Steam whenever possible for my PC games. It's allowed me to play many more games than I would have before it was created. Digital distribution is a net win for me.

Slurpee, do I have the right to give my rights away if I find them unimportant. I don't regret using Steam whenever possible for my PC games. It's allowed me to play many more games than I would have before it was created. Digital distribution is a net win for me.

This isn't digital distribution, this is a type of digital distribution. The flaws described above aren't inherent to digital distribution, so comparing it to steam is disingenuous because steam doesn't have the flaws he's describing. If authentication servers go offline at valve, they'll release a local authentication tool. If I've already authenticated once, I never have to do it again. If I fear that my hardware will go down, Steam grants me the ability to back up my data.

Sure you're free to latch on to Xbox One's digital distribution method. But there are alternatives that, clearly, others agree with more.

• slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Steam is about convenience, and it creates that convenience on a format that has been backwards compatible for 40 years. You are well within your right to buy games you can't find anywhere else. However, i can still hook up a floppy drive and play a game from 1980 if I choose. Steam is merely an alternative method to access content that you have purchased.

However, with the Xbone, you only have access to your games if Microsoft deems it necessary to grant you the ability to play those games. You have to completely rely on Microsoft's discretion to have any access whatsoever to your purchase.

At any point, for any reason, Microsoft has the ability to completely render the console, your games, and any content purchased inaccessible. You are essentially giving them hundreds of dollars to gate all content you purchase, then have to ask permission to access whatever you've purchased. Once Microsoft deems being a gatekeeper unprofitable, or Microsoft believes you are no longer worthy to gain access to your games and console (banning your XBL account), you lose access to your console, your physical discs, along with any DD content you may have purchased.

How is that a good idea in any way, shape, or form?

EDIT: Like Sonic said above, Steam is different in many ways, and Valve won't lock you out of your library if you unplug your webcam, don't have internet, or put your games hard drive in another computer. They also don't render any physical discs you have inoperable. If you still have your games hard drive 10 years from now, even if Steam is nonexistent, you can still play your games.

slurpeepoop on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Every time someone brings up the Kinect counting number of viewers patent I can only laugh. Just clearly shows a lack of interest in reasonable discussion.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    NibCrom wrote: »
    For me, Xbox One backwards compatibility isn't a HUGE deal, but it would be nice.

That way you could presumably play an Xbox 360 game, then say if some of your friends sign on, you could play an Xbox One game with them without switching consoles.

Yeah, I think I maybe played oXbox games for like a month on my 360 before I stopped playing them entirely.

Before that a similar thing happened when going from PS1 to PS2... but I can still whip out that old hardware too. so idk.

As for being able to play games you bought 20 years from now being some kind of right... a common phrase included in the EULA for the game on the game disc you own is that the license is revokable. The only difference is that it could be more feasible for them to actually revoke and enforce said license on the software that they own. The online authentication is what is being used to enforce that license. Some EULAs also stipulate that having the software in your possession doesn't give you the right to play the game, too.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Same here for the most part. I WANT to see it on the PS4 or Xbone, but really I only truly expect it on the Nintendo ones. I can play DS games on my 3DS, I can play Wii games on my WiiU, I could play GC games on a Wii, and they even took it a step further this time with the Virtual console bringing back classics from my childhood like Super Mario World, Kirby, Super Metroid, Earthbound, Megaman, etc.

In this case it seems like they are marketing more towards my tastes than the PS4 and the Xbone are. PS4 will probably still get me for their exclusives, but Xbone at this point has not shown anything that makes me remotely think they want me to buy their console.

I'm fine with that though because I'm coming to the realization that I'm not who they are targeting anymore. I don't like Halo, CoD, sports games, Racing, I don't care about watching cable on my console (heck I got rid of cable in general a year ago). Pretty much every "feature" they are trying to push is for a gamer that I am not.

I bought an Xbox 360 and loved it at first, and slowly stopped buying games for it. I STILL buy games for my PS3 so they still know what I like. I'm just not THAT gamer the Xbox is trying to sell to.

My gaming habits are definitely more about living in the moment. I play games and then I set them aside. If I go back to games it's usually within a few years. So stuff like backwards compatibility and being able to stick my game in a box and keep it forever isn't necessary for me. The Xbox One still appeals to me, although I'll probably wait a few years before buying one. I'd really like to upgrade my PC and buy an Oculus Rift first.

So yeah, just like how you are moving away from the Xbox and moving closer to Nintendo I am moving away from Nintendo and focusing more on the PC/Xbox. I think this is okay.

Steam is about convenience, and it creates that convenience on a format that has been backwards compatible for 40 years. You are well within your right to buy games you can't find anywhere else. However, i can still hook up a floppy drive and play a game from 1980 if I choose. Steam is merely an alternative method to access content that you have purchased.

However, with the Xbone, you only have access to your games if Microsoft deems it necessary to grant you the ability to play those games. You have to completely rely on Microsoft's discretion to have any access whatsoever to your purchase.

At any point, for any reason, Microsoft has the ability to completely render the console, your games, and any content purchased inaccessible. You are essentially giving them hundreds of dollars to gate all content you purchase, then have to ask permission to access whatever you've purchased. Once Microsoft deems being a gatekeeper unprofitable, or Microsoft believes you are no longer worthy to gain access to your games and console (banning your XBL account), you lose access to your console, your physical discs, along with any DD content you may have purchased.

How is that a good idea in any way, shape, or form?

EDIT: Like Sonic said above, Steam is different in many ways, and Valve won't lock you out of your library if you unplug your webcam, don't have internet, or put your games hard drive in another computer. They also don't render any physical discs you have inoperable. If you still have your games hard drive 10 years from now, even if Steam is nonexistent, you can still play your games.

You trust Valve more than you trust Microsoft, which is fine, but you could replace 'Microsoft' with 'Valve' in your second paragraph. I am at Valve's mercy just as I would be at Microsoft's mercy.

I have heard plenty of speculation over how digital distribution will pan out over the years, and how gracefully such a service will be spun down if it comes to that. It doesn't get any more convincing each time I hear it. It's definitely possible that Valve or Microsoft could screw me over, but I am more optimistic than that and doomsday is far in the future, so in the mean time I will just keep playing my games, because as long as I am having fun in the present I'm okay.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You know what's really starting to piss me off?

It's not so much the negativity in this thread. Yes, there are numerous things about this thing that need to be clarified before sometime in October/November. It's not the arguments that are about the broader ideas presented by the Xbox One. These are things that are being explored, and of course Microsoft's plans are going to bring them up.

It's the constant misrepresentation of what we KNOW this thing does, and what people THINK it does.

In other words it's this:
    that is odd

oh well, at least you can just tape over it or turn it around

presumably, nope. Microsoft has confirmed that the Kinect patent for visual DRM is being applied to the Xbox One.

Under the scenario put forth in the patent, the Kinect will watch when you view media to monitor that you're not exceeding the license limit. So say you buy a movie and only 3 people can watch it, and you have 4 people in the room. Kinect would suspend the movie and inform you that either one person must remove themselves or you have to purchase an additional license to continue watching the movie.

Coupling that with another claim heard from microsoft a while back - that kinect would automatically suspend playback when it didn't see anybody in the room because you had "gotten up and walked off" and you can see that simply circumventing the kinect isn't possible. Plus, all that stuff about your account being logged in and tied to kinect simply recognizing you, and kinect following your controller through your hands and stuff. I just don't think it'll be as simple as putting duct tape over the sensors.

So a news report that is speculating based on a patent and a quote from Microsoft saying that they file for patents that they may or may not use is Microsoft confirming something? Why present stuff in this manner? Why flat out lie here TSR? Why not just say "They have this patent. While I'm not sure if it's part of the Xbox One, this is what I think if it was."

This thread is chock full of people purposely misrepresenting news stories and quotes. Taking things that are speculation as fact. And it makes it very difficult to keep up on the thread to find out ACTUAL information instead of speculation presented as fact.

Quite frankly we don't know a whole hell of a lot about how things will actually work. And unless you have a quote, from Microsoft, that says "this is our official policy on BLANK" you should present what you're saying as what it is, speculation. Some people are visiting this thread to discuss news on this thing, not hyperbolic theories about how the Kinect is going to turn you into the police for smoking pot in front of it, or how Microsoft is going to pull the plug on Halo 5's activation servers when Halo 6 comes out, or how Microsoft is going to disable your Xbox One if the Kinect sees people with a PS4 controller in their hands.

We're looking for news on the console, not ridiculous speculation. Not slippery slope arguments. And not news stories twisted to fit your bleak narrative on this that people have been building for the last 6 months or so. I'm trying to figure out if I want one of these or not. I want to talk about the features it is confirmed to have, not the features you think it has based on a news story who's only verified source is a patent filed 2 years ago. I want to talk about what is announced, not what you've "deduced". I want to talk about the Xbox One, not your dystopian nightmare.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how many folks use Games on Demand, but if the Xbox One works the same way it probably won't be too big a hassle.

Right now, I own 3 360s. We can talk about me being a consumer whore later. I buy the occasional GoDemand title.

On the console I buy them on, I can log in with my (silver, because gold isn't worth it to me) Xbox live account, or my wife's account, or no account at all, and launch the downloaded games without issue.

On either of the two other xboxes, I can download and play the GoD titles if I log in as me. My wife can't.

Every 90 days, I can sign in with my account, go to account management, and do a license transfer on any of the 360s. This ties all of the games to that 360 and now I can play them there.

And no, it's not as friendly as having a physical disc that I can move from machine to machine, but it works out well enough.

@Baudattitude

I'm skipping about 80 posts to Quote this, so I apologize if someone has already brought it up.

The Bolded part isn't quite true, and this is where this SEEMS to differ from what they have said about the XBone. As long as your profile is signed into the XBox, your wife can play the game on her profile.

Not good if you want to play on your profile, but if you don't it works (I have 3 of them as well)

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
    edited May 2013
    Regardless of how easy it is for you to believe, it's the line valve has repeated for almost a decade at this point. Case in point:

4sa1Ln6.jpg

Valve's response about what happens if they go out of buisness from 2 months ago. If you doubt the validity of this picture, you can ask yourself through steam.

I have yet to see any such assurance from microsoft at all. If you can't trust valve's word, how can you possibly trust microsoft's non-answer?

EDIT: And your claim that you can replace microsoft with valve in this paragraph:

isn't true. I can go offline right now and never come back online and Valve will never have any way to stop me from playing the steam games I own. They would be powerless to ever take that ability away from me.

TheSonicRetard on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »
    I'm not sure how many folks use Games on Demand, but if the Xbox One works the same way it probably won't be too big a hassle.

Right now, I own 3 360s. We can talk about me being a consumer whore later. I buy the occasional GoDemand title.

On the console I buy them on, I can log in with my (silver, because gold isn't worth it to me) Xbox live account, or my wife's account, or no account at all, and launch the downloaded games without issue.

On either of the two other xboxes, I can download and play the GoD titles if I log in as me. My wife can't.

Every 90 days, I can sign in with my account, go to account management, and do a license transfer on any of the 360s. This ties all of the games to that 360 and now I can play them there.

And no, it's not as friendly as having a physical disc that I can move from machine to machine, but it works out well enough.

@Baudattitude

I'm skipping about 80 posts to Quote this, so I apologize if someone has already brought it up.

The Bolded part isn't quite true, and this is where this SEEMS to differ from what they have said about the XBone. As long as your profile is signed into the XBox, your wife can play the game on her profile.

Not good if you want to play on your profile, but if you don't it works (I have 3 of them as well)

Sorry, I knew that leaving those couple words out was going to bite me in the tuckus, and if it weren't for being on a phone at the time I would have edited them in :)

"My wife can't while logged into her profile instead of mine" would make that a more complete sentence. If she's logged into my profile they work on any hardware.

bleh

Uh, they DID confirm visual DRM. The whole "identify you and log-in and follow the controller based on who you are" is visual DRM. That was a major part of their conference. I didn't say they confirmed that it's going to shut off your movie, and I provided a link claiming where that came from.

If you have a bone to pick with me, do it through PM. I'm not stopping you from discussing Xbox one. Talk about whatever you feel like. But, right there, in that post, you weren't talking about xbox one nor rumors or anything. You were talking about me. And the mods on this site already don't like me. So please leave me out of it.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thread's going to take a break over the holiday weekend unless another mod feels like putting up a new one. There is so little to talk about right now that every rumor is just being used as a springboard for another debate on something. Being the weekend, things will only get worse, but I promise to bring the thread back early if something huge breaks over the weekend. And don't use the Industry Thread as a loophole to restart Xbox One shit.

Geth, close the thread

YL9WnCY.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.