As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comic Podcasts Thread: Talking about listening to others talk about comics

AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in Graphic Violence
What good ones do you know of? Let's get a solid OP list going because, as I just realised, a casual scroll through podbean is not the way to go about this

SILENCE!

The first podcast I got in to. Two british dudes code named Gary Lactus and The Beast Must Die (I love the code names) who are also part of a larger site dedicated to weird and interesting perspectives on pop culture mindlessones.com

This is mostly them reviewing new comics and doing a skit where they take the piss out of comic news (which let's face it is usually pretty boring). I find they're a bit hit or miss. Sometimes they're hilarious and insightful. Sometimes they just seem like they really don't give a crap about what they've read and are making it blatantly obvious. Whenever that happens I'm extra sour because then they just remind me of a British boss I used to have who was a total dick and I project all of my repressed anger onto them.

Wait What?

Really nice extra long comic podcast. I love the amount of detail that Jeff Lester and Graeme McMillan go in to. They always have something interestign to say about the comic industry soap opera. Their reviews are always interesting and if the comics weren't that great they'll make it fun anyway by dropping some knowledge. And god are they knowledgable. The two also just have a really good rapport with each other. Hearing Jeff say Graem's name always makes me laugh. I just wish it came out weekly!

Pannel Borders

I've only listened to a few of these so don't have all to much to say yet. This seems really polished though. More like a legit radio show than a back yard DYI podcast. I also like that they don't feel the need to constantly be commenting on the newest five comics to hit the stores and instead take on the subject by themes. It makes for lots of the interetsing type of conversation that only arises by chance in the more release focused podcasts.

Fat Man on Batman

Kevin Smith's comics may not be world class but he undeniably loves comic books. In these podcasts he talks to some of the big names in DC about Batman and comics in general while smoking a joint. It's as fun as you think it might be and it's also at times as grinding as you think it might be. SOmetimes K. Smith just really gets on my nerves but his enthusiasm, star cohosts and interesting conversation make up for it!

The CoCast

And finally my very own contribution. Bridge and I have started a podcast about comics where we review a bunch of comics every two weeks and have a look back at some trades or other cool stuff we picked up. It's still pretty early days but check it out! Also if you guys are doing any podcasts of your own please share.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
QEz1Jw1.png
Amigu on

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Decompressed - It's Kieron Gillen talking about making comics with other creators/friends from the industry. The blog includes "study aids" for each podcast - scans of the pages and panels being discussed for listeners to follow along.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Can I just listen to you all talk about listening to others talk about comics?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    iFanboy's Talksplode #59 – Make Comics with Jeff Parker and Gabriel Hardman is probably the single best episode of any podcast I've ever listened to. I don't even subscribe to the podcast, but I keep that in iTunes to listen to on occasion.

• Options
    Fearghaill that sounds great.

Hm a graphic violence podcast. Now that could be cool!

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I've been listening to Silence! for a while now. Some technical issues aside, they've really come into their own. I enjoy hearing them describe art styles and how something works or doesn't. Sometimes the songs are excellent. A few times they fall on their faces, but whatever, it's solid. I only listen to about five podcasts, if that, and they pass my tests.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    War Rocket Ajax - Chris Sims and Matt Wilson host the world's most destructive comic book and pop culture podcast! Also good for fans of pro wrestling and quality barbecue. Each episode features an illuminating interview with a comics professional.

Matt & Brett Love Comics! - Matt Little and Brett White discuss comics new and old with a variety of special guests, including stand up comedians, writers, and others.

• Options
    I've been listening to Silence! for a while now. Some technical issues aside, they've really come into their own. I enjoy hearing them describe art styles and how something works or doesn't. Sometimes the songs are excellent. A few times they fall on their faces, but whatever, it's solid. I only listen to about five podcasts, if that, and they pass my tests.

Yeah I listen to them every week. I just think sometimes they'd do better reading something they're actually keen on rather than running the marvel/dc gauntlet and hating it haha.

What are the four other podcasts?

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Well, it's podcasts in general, not just comics. Comedy, mainly. So I listen to the Dana Gould Hour whenever it posts (about four times a year), Walking the Room, Doug Loves Movies, and, it may shock you to know I also enjoy WTF With Marc Maron.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    aaaaaaah I just realized I hadn't listened to the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye #1 episode of Decompressed and it is kind of blowing my mind to know that this is the first time Matt and David actually spoke to each other, that all of their Immortal Iron Fist collaboration and work on Hawkeye to that point was done by email.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    My favorites:

House to Astonish - News and in-depth discussions of a handful of comics. As a bonus, they end each episode with a character synopsis from the Marvel Handbook

Two-Headed Nerd - the perfect commute podcast at 45 minutes. Short news section, reviews, previews and a rotating feature discussing a graphic novel, recommendations, TV shows, etc.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Does anyone still listen to Word Balloon?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    aaaaaaah I just realized I hadn't listened to the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye #1 episode of Decompressed and it is kind of blowing my mind to know that this is the first time Matt and David actually spoke to each other, that all of their Immortal Iron Fist collaboration and work on Hawkeye to that point was done by email.

Wow.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    SILENCE! just mentioned this thread hehehe

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Haha, what? I need to hear this.

• Options
    Right at the start of the newest episode. Gary Lactus said he did a vanity search and mentions stuff that sounds suspiciously like it came from this thread ;)

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Are Jeff and Graeme dead? :(

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    They just updated on Tuesday. I mean, maybe they died in the interim but..

ALSO, I finally listened to your CoCast, specifically the one that talks about my comic. I really enjoyed it, and not just because you guys were pretty complimentary. You and Bridget have a nice chemistry. I'll have to listen through a few more episodes.

Also also, last week's episode of War Rocket Ajax, is great. It just Chris and Matt going around, talking to creators at Heroes Con, about the weirdest/best things they've seen at a comic con, with all the horror stories you'd expect. The episode closes with Tom Fowler telling a pretty hilarious story.

• Options
    So I just found out that the Nerdist Writers Panel podcast has done a couple comics writers episodes.

http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist-comics-panel/

It's pretty good! Len Wein and Adam Beechen are the hosts.

• Options
    Munch wrote: »
    They just updated on Tuesday. I mean, maybe they died in the interim but..

ALSO, I finally listened to your CoCast, specifically the one that talks about my comic. I really enjoyed it, and not just because you guys were pretty complimentary. You and Bridget have a nice chemistry. I'll have to listen through a few more episodes.

Oh. My. God. I've been checking this page and they have obviously changed their tags. So I just realised there's a ton of new podcasts I wasn't aware of! Happy days!

And thanks dude :) We have another one coming out this week will let you all know when it's up! So many good podcasts to listen to I feel like mine is a drop in the water but it's still super fun to make.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    New podcast up!

Had some technical difficulties but better late than never right?

... Right?

Bridge and I discuss:

-The Sydney Film Festival (?) and in particularl the movies: Borgman, We Steal Secrets and Only God Forgives
    -Occupy Comics #1
    -Astro City #1 (Both the original and the 2013 issue)
    -The fricking sweet comic magazine Your Days Are Numbered
    -Nadir’s Zenith #1
    -The Wake #1
    -The Massive (Trade #1)
    -All-New Secret Skullkickers #1
    -Avengers Arena #10
    -Uber #2

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Here's another podcast I came across Comic Books Are Burning in Hell- it's a round table of a bunch of guys who are into comics. They delve into some pretty strange comics and go way off the beaten track with their discussion. It's funny because one of my complaints about comic podcasts has been that they focus too heavily on the big two. These guys often entirely obscure the big two to discuss really niche stuff like a soccer mum friendly comic called "Good Riddance" which explores a divorce. When it goes that far away from "mainstream" comics I suddenly find myself year inch for spider-man. On the whole the these guys are really good to listen to. They get very into what they're talking about.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    I've been trying to like DeCompressed but it just...doesn't work for me. It seems like a podcast needs to be, like, three people, tops, measured conversational tone that's loose and informal at the same time...

Silence! has been missing, which is probably due to ongoing technical issues.

• Options
    Yeah decompressed can feel a teeny bit... stilted? Sometimes? Silence is back after Gary Lactus spent a few weeks alone in the wilderness searching for the beast must die.

Also I just put up a new episode of the cocast... Comic book overload!

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    Are we allowed to pimp our own shows?

I started a podcast with my friend Doctor, called Associated Geekery. We discuss comics, movies, books, and other nerdy things. We're frequently joined by my wife, our friend Carrie, and a few others from time to time- including @Squirminator2k

We're still new, and having fun getting into things.

• Options
    Three things I want from podcasts, in general:

1) Sound quality. My god, if you have feedback, buzzing, or something that makes one of your guests sound like they're talking through an electric razor, that shit needs to go. Occasional misfires happen, but if this is a consistent feature of your podcast, listeners will give up on you.

2) Table etiquette. If your crew can't self moderate and would rather talk over eachother in a mass of shits and giggles and inside jokes, guess what? You don't actually have a podcast. Be professional, cover your topic, and be sure your show is a show. Have fun, but don't lose sight of your purpose.

3) This is a personal peeve of mine, but there is no god damn reason why any podcast of reasonable length should be over 40 megabytes in size. This is not a Brian Eno album, if you can't get two or three people in a room to sound good at average audio quality, tripling the file size won't mean squat either. You can get a good hour and a half podcast to fit into less than 24 megs. If your podcast is 57 minutes long and is 140 megs, you're wasting your hosting, your storage, your listener's storage/data streaming coverage, and it's taking more people longer to get your stuff. Some people only have a 500 meg MP3 player and don't want to drop two albums of music off their player just to hear the new episode of whatever, and they shouldn't have to. I think it's absurd how wasteful so many people are with data and storage these days, but...that's a whole different argument.

Anyhow. I've been digging Comic Books Are Burning in Hell, even if they haven't actually updated recently. I do find it a little odd how focused a lot of their material is on comics that tends to be over the top with violence and the like. Go with what you know and so on, sure, but...I wish they did at least as many episodes on things like their discussion of Steve Ditko, their opinion of the fallacy of considering comics as the modern mythology, or a similar perspective on something that reaches across time and impacts the entire medium.

My machine has gone down, and for reasons unclear to me iTunes is not running on the loaner I'm whipping into shape, but I'm learning about the podcast app for my iPad and am trying to catch up on, well, a ton of stuff right now.

• Options
    Personally, it's not so much the size of a podcast as the length. I just don't have the time to listen to a two hour podcast. I'd much rather listen to something between half an hour and an hour in length.

• Options
    Interesting. I'm the opposite. I like a long podcast because I run them while I'm cleaning my room or walking the dog. So they run in the background while I do something else rather than me taking time out of my day hence the longer the better. I might break my podcasts into chunks so they aren't intimidating for those who prefer shorter ones.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    I want to take a moment and recommend a podcast I found recently called Earth's Mightiest History. It's a couple of guys reading through the original Avengers comics from the beginning. One's pretty comics-savvy and the other's a newbie. It's funny and (I think) even more entertaining than just reading the issues for yourself.

Check it out - iTunes, Tumblr

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    I want to take a moment and recommend a podcast I found recently called Earth's Mightiest History. It's a couple of guys reading through the original Avengers comics from the beginning. One's pretty comics-savvy and the other's a newbie. It's funny and (I think) even more entertaining than just reading the issues for yourself.

Check it out - iTunes, Tumblr

If I ever get off my butt and do a comics podcast, that is the format I'd use as well. Something I love from the beginning with me as the expert and one of my friends who isn't as comics savy yacking about what we saw in each issue as a tired old warhorse and someone with fresh eyes. I'll have to check this one out.

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    Sounds cool I'll check it out too! That was our original plan with reading Age of Ultron too.

But we just found that the newbie was just way too confused and also that AoU just sort of sucked :/

I haven't made a new one in a while because I'm solo at the monent and it's just not as fun on your own!

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    So the Silence! panel at Thought Bubble sounds like it will be pretty rad. Brandon Graham, Al Ewing and Kieron Gillen! Yowza.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    If we are indeed allowed to pimp our own shows (will happily remove if we are not), then a few friends and I run a casual weekly roundtable called "This is Serious Business". We have a few comic-focused episodes, but also do general media stuff. Here are some that are specifically comic-related:

#67: Alternative Mainstream (Kick Ass 2 + big comics that aren't DC/Marvel): http://www.gosu.com/2013/08/this-is-serious-business-67-alternative-mainstream/

#42: Batman: Death of the Family: http://www.gosu.com/2013/02/this-is-serious-business-batman-death-of-the-family-edition/

#28: Avengers vs Xmen: http://www.gosu.com/2012/10/this-is-serious-business-avengers-vs-x-men-edition/

#21: The New 52: http://www.gosu.com/2012/08/this-is-serious-business-new-52-edition/

We also have several more episodes focused on comic book movies, etc. Would be happy to receive feedback as well, we're a little rough around the edges but I think we put together a solid show.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hey guys, check this out: The podcast "How Did This Get Made" brought Ed Brubaker on as a guest to talk about the Daredevil movie. It's pretty cool.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/daredevil/

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    so

im recording something on wednesday night

we dont have a name yet

but

ya, i guess im doing a comic book podcast

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Just finished recording the podcast.

Was tons of fun. No idea if any of it is usable, but I'm glad I did it.

Time to edit!

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Who wants a sneak preview? I got 3 eps edited:

Ursan Wells & the Haircapes
    Tainted by Twilight
    Character Highlight - Cyclops

If you want to listen to ONE of those, PM me youre google account and tell me which one you wanna listen to.

They should start coming out publically weekly/bi-weekly soon.

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Just wanted to give a heads up to these guys as I'm starting to listen to them and will actually have Dan Slott on this Wednesday (Tomorrow).

http://www.comicspodcasts.com/category/wheremonstersdwell/

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    ImpvladImpvlad Registered User new member
    Im actually loving the Comicsverse podcast. Its a new one that actually gives in depth discussion on a wide series of topics. Their on itunes so its pretty easy to find

• Options
  • Options
    Next episode of Parker You're Fired is out:

http://www.parkeryourefired.com/2014/01/31/2013s-thor-of-steel-3-sex-saga/

Also, we're on iTunes now for subscriptions and stuff, so that's cool: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/parker-youre-fired-podcast/id806182785

This episode we do a 2013 retrospective

next week is 2014 hopes and dreams

rotate.jpg