As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where in the world is [GeoGuessr]?

1235»

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    nah

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I just consider it two different ways to play, and the scores aren't comparable

ie

what's the best score you can get without googling?

what's the best score you can get with?

(my current goal is to break 30k with googling. I've gotten around 25-27k, but you need to be within 10km or so for all of them to have a shot at 30)

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    This is the best game ever. Got dropped here for my last one of the night, making like 4 in Vancouver this evening.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    I got one a few days ago that was just a snow covered steep mountain. No roads, not even a trail.
    I just got a really tricky one. It looks like the Netherlands, but the only people were asian. Thankfully I've been to Huis Ten Bosch, the Holland-themed theme park outside of Nagasaki, Japan.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

ie

(my current goal is to break 30k with googling. I've gotten around 25-27k, but you need to be within 10km or so for all of them to have a shot at 30)

anyone can play it however they want
    however it's dumb as hell to suggest that doing some research and learning more about a place you didn't know about is "cheating"

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    if this damn thing plops me down in new zealand one more time i'm gonna piss myself

and not like i usually do

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

ie

however it's dumb as hell to suggest that doing some research and learning more about a place you didn't know about is "cheating"

sounds like something a cheater would say

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    To play it faster I'm limiting myself to not moving around on the map other than to rotate and zoom.

It's going okay, though I keep getting "middle of nowhere, South Africa" and "middle of nowhere, Australia" confused.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

on the other hand, it is something that makes a very significant difference in the ammout of points you can reasonably score, so if you prefer "augmented" i'm all for it.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    go home geth, you're drunk.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »

on the other hand, it is something that makes a very significant difference in the ammout of points you can reasonably score, so if you prefer "augmented" i'm all for it.

Like I said, play however you want. But if you're going to suggest someone's lame because they're actually doing some research and learning something they didn't know before, well that's straight up bullshit.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options

Like I said, play however you want. But if you're going to suggest someone's lame because they're actually doing some research and learning something they didn't know before, well that's straight up bullshit.

yeah, cluehunting is very educational and fun, but i gotta admit i do think it's best without google.

14 k record, suck on it.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Introduced this to my workplace today, productivity declined 50% for the rest of the day

• Options
    yup, same here.

my senior manager told me that if i hadn't gotten the vice president to play as well he'd have hell to pay for.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options

Yeah I mean if you want to cheat that's cool

If Hitler were alive he'd be doing it too

• Options

What do you mean, if?

Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    beaner wrote: »

What do you mean, if?

Mossad??

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    man this is fun. the Australian outback looks a hell of a lot like some stretches of SoCal desert areas though :P

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options

What do you mean, if?

I knew it

• Options

What do you mean, if?

I knew it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKgHUrKZiXA

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    Just found this game and i am seriously addicted.

The round where i got Alaska 4 times in a row was total shit though.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    My best score was when I got placed in front of a sign that said "KETCHIKAN, FIRST CITY OF ALASKA, salmon capital of the world!"

Got it within 0.008km after trawling through southern Alaska. Would've been closer had the placement not been a bit wonky.

• Options
    I got the first one right because it dumped me in a big city and there was a alaskan homeless shelter and i know Anchorage is the capital.

Sticking me on a road next to some mountains made me assume it was northwest america, and after that i just thought the game wouldn't be a dick to give me alaska again.

You win this time, GeoGuessr.

• Options
    Also the one which is just a bench next to a field with a dog can suck a dick.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    My best score was 0.004km from target, when I got dropped in front of the Shalyapin Palace Hotel in Kazan, Russia.

That was the only time Russia has not been a dick to me.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I've been playing this game on and off and I swear it loves giving me shitty country roads with nothing but trees and fields. No cars! No houses! Just fields!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    ...although apparently this round it's making up for it by putting me IMMEDIATELY in front of signs

WELCOME TO CANYON DE CHELLY

WELCOME TO PARK RIVER UTAH

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I've been playing this game on and off and I swear it loves giving me shitty country roads with nothing but trees and fields. No cars! No houses! Just fields!

This is funny because I just started a game, and I got a shitty 2 lane road with nothing but trees in either direction.

• Options
    I mean I realize that's like, the majority of roads in the world.

But boooy does it make for some real guesswork.

"Hmm, those look like conifers? And they look windblown? Somewhere windy with pine trees?"

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, I found an election sign! I'm in Effingham County, Georgia

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I just got dropped into a fucking hedge maze...

maze_zpsf99b2553.jpg

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Journal Entry #27, Date Unknown, Location... Unknown

I've been trying to find my way out of this damnable maze for what seems like days now. My food stores are running low, and I fear that I may never make it out alive. I found myself back at the central fountain for the seventh time. The man in the blue blazer still refuses to answer my pleas for help. His eyes taunt me with the secret knowledge of my location. The woman who I can only assume is his wife won't even turn around to look at me. My hatred for her grows by the minute.

Tell my wife I love her, and I'm sorry that I ever set out on this fool's errand.

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular

ie

I managed 28k just now. I would have broken 30, but one of my locations was the parking lot of a church with no exits.

I managed to parse out from a sign that I was in Japan, but other than that I was left with little aside from random guessing.

Fuck you, GeoGuessr.

• Options
    WITH googling I just got something like ten steps away

To be fair they put me on the main street of a town in front of its art museum, so all I had to do was figure out where the town was and zoom in from there

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Huh...I keep getting in the general area, usually without looking up much, if anything.

Everyone's driving blocky cars that look straight from those Russian driving videos, but it doesn't look Russia. Let's guess Ukraine. And it's right around the corner in Georgia.

I guessed one state away three times, when all I had to go on were two lane roads with different trees along the side.

I did get dropped down by some sort of park or museum in Germany, that was easy. The fully English 'this way to X city' signs in the middle of nowhere in South Africa threw me off, though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Broke 31k without cheating or Googling.

And 3/5 of them were low resolution dustbowls with virtually no legible signage, so it was pretty much Inferno mode.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    First one got me on a causeway with a convenient town sign and some roads with which to narrow things down. Got it within a km after narrowing things down.

Second one is on a long nondescript *Canadian highway with no distinctive signage. Still trying to figure it out.
    *based on the number of pickup trucks and a "point of interest, 1km" sign.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    First one got me on a causeway with a convenient town sign and some roads with which to narrow things down. Got it within a km after narrowing things down.

Second one is on a long nondescript *Canadian highway with no distinctive signage. Still trying to figure it out.

alberta

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

alberta

That's what I'm thinking based on how fucking flat it is.

I already followed one direction to where it ended, going to see where the other goes.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682