As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Omeganaut calls incoming! Are you one of the first Australian Omeganauts?

CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic MountPerth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited June 2013 in PAX Australia
Who are the first ever Australian Omeganauts? SHOW YOURSELVES!

Didn't get in? SPECULATE WILDLY ABOUT WHAT GAMING TESTS OF MIGHT THESE BRAVE ONES WILL BE SUBJECTED TO!

THE CALL (OVER)
@cwgabriel - We are about to call PAX Australia Omeganauts. Australian PAX goers answer your phones! #omeganaus

@TychoBrahe - We’re calling Australian Omeganauts today. Now, specifically. #OmeganAUS

@rkhoo - We are starting the calls... for our first set of PAX Australia Omeganauts!

EDIT - And they're done - @TychoBrahe - All Omeganauts selected. Congratumalations! #OmeganAUS

Did you receive THE CALL?

THE OMEGANAUTS
These are the lucky Omeganauts who have been found in the wild. Who will be the first Australian Omeganaut Champion? Who will break down and claim they are a fish half way through the Portal round?

- @NathanKelly - @TheNathan_Kelly from Victoria
- @Rade - @RadeyLady from Newcastle NSW
- @AbsolutHysteria - @AbsolutHysteria a corned beef sandwich aficionado from Revesby, NSW
- @sigh71 - sigh71 from Perth, WA
- @EvAde - @omgbob from Melbourne, VIC
- @xLadyDangerx - xLadyDangerx from Melbourne, VIC
- @Dracohawk - Raffaelle from parts unknown
- @edge888 - @edge_master888 from Victoria
- @Samuraibunny - @_samuraibunny_ from Sydney, NSW
- @AussieYak - @AustralianYak a TF2 and CS:GO player from Melbourne, VIC
- @fantanoice - @fantanoice from Melbourne, VIC
- @Rothving - from Adelaide
- @Desparis - from Sydney
- Tiernan69 from Adelaide, SA

THE GAMES
As part of the PAX Aus Schedule, the rounds have been announced!
Round 1 - Geometry Wars - 3:30pm Friday, Skippy Theater
Round 2 - Win, Lose, or Draw - 6:30pm Friday, Skippy Theater
Round 3 - Portal, score attack speed run - 3:30pm Saturday, Skippy Theater
Round 4 - Defense Grid - 7:30pm Saturday, Main Theater (followed by Saturday night concerts)
FINAL ROUND - UNKNOWN - 5:30pm Sunday, Main Theater

THE PRIZE
The lucky winner of the Omegathon will receive airfare, 4 nights accommodation and entry to PAX PRIME 2013 in Seattle, USA. Hope you all have your passports current and ready to win!

CuZZa on

• AbsolutHysteriaAbsolutHysteria Lord of Whiskey Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So ready bro. Just exams, AND THEN
    tumblr_mnfx5awlfi1r7m90oo2_500.gif

AbsolutHysteria on
  • RadeRade I'M THE CONDUCTOR OF THE POOP TRAIN! Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yo! RadeyLady from Newcastle, here!

According to the PAX Wiki page, these are some of the games that have been used in the past:

Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Portal 2
    League of Legends
    Guild Wars 2
    Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
    Mortal Kombat
    Sonic Colors
    Epic Mickey
    Halo: Reach

A lot of those games would probably be used to thin out the field. Good luck to everyone!

Off-Topic: Who's dressing up?

"You know, in hindsight that's obvious, but when those knockers were staring me in the face it was awful hard to notice her shortcomings."
    http://www.gamerdiaries.com.au
    I plan to bring a tophat, and change nothing else.

• RadeRade I'M THE CONDUCTOR OF THE POOP TRAIN! Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Excellent use of that gif.

"You know, in hindsight that's obvious, but when those knockers were staring me in the face it was awful hard to notice her shortcomings."
    Rade wrote: »

Excellent use of that gif.

• NathanKellyNathanKelly Registered User regular
    Hello everyone. I'm honoured to be one of the first Australian Omeganauts.

I've been playing Eye of the Tiger on a loop while doing thumb exercises.

edited May 2013
    Hello everyone. I'm honoured to be one of the first Australian Omeganauts.

I've been playing Eye of the Tiger on a loop while doing thumb exercises.
    I've just been flexing, exploding tshirt after tshirt. So far, 5 shirts have been ruined.
    Also, there better not be Guitar Hero. I absolutely suck at that game.

AbsolutHysteria on
  • DracohawkDracohawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Has anyone recieved the confirmation email that were supposed to receive after the call, I had to give them a different email than the one I bought my ticket with and I'm not sure if they heard my new email correctly.

Dracohawk on
    Dracohawk wrote: »
    Has anyone recieved the confirmation email that were supposed to receive after the call, I had to give them a different email than the one I bought my ticket with and I'm not sure if they heard my new email correctly.

No. I have not received mine either.

• edge888edge888 Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    Yeh, seems safe to say they have not been sent.

Omeganaut Adam from Victoria signing in here.

edge888 on
    Oh by the way im Raffaele, not gonna say specifically where I'm from but it is Australia. I look forward to competing with you all.

edited May 2013
    Oh by the way im Raffaele, not gonna say specifically where I'm from but it is Australia. I look forward to competing with you all.
    Heh. no location details. Why does something tell me that you're gonna show up and be all like
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/12b65d314a0b528030c633d0d1054afa/tumblr_mnfjrfdu6F1sp97imo1_500.gif

zerzhul on
  • samuraibunnysamuraibunny Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Omeganaut samuraibunny reporting for duty!

edited May 2013
    Heh. no location details. Why does something tell me that you're gonna show up and be all like
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/12b65d314a0b528030c633d0d1054afa/tumblr_mnfjrfdu6F1sp97imo1_500.gif

Nah, just have a thing about posting certain details over the internet on a public forum. Plus you can see my face on the link on my name.

zerzhul on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013

According to the PAX Wiki page, these are some of the games that have been used in the past:

Duke Nukem Forever
    Portal 2
    League of Legends
    Guild Wars 2
    Mortal Kombat
    Sonic Colors
    Epic Mickey

A lot of those games would probably be used to thin out the field. Good luck to everyone!

What pax wiki page are you looking at? Pretty sure GW2 and SWTOR have never been used in an omegathon. Also I don't remember LoL or DNF ever being used either.... nor epic mickey. I think you found someone's list of games they *want* to see in the omegathon? O.o

Edit: oh, I see the list you found. Yeah that's not a list of omegathon games, that's a (small) list of games that were shown on the exhibition floor at PAX Prime 2010.

zerzhul on
    zerzhul wrote: »

Duke Nukem Forever
    Portal 2
    League of Legends
    Guild Wars 2
    Mortal Kombat
    Sonic Colors
    Epic Mickey

What pax wiki page are you looking at? Pretty sure GW2 and SWTOR have never been used in an omegathon. Also I don't remember LoL or DNF ever being used either.... nor epic mickey. I think you found someone's list of games they *want* to see in the omegathon? O.o

Edit: oh, I see the list you found. Yeah that's not a list of omegathon games, that's a (small) list of games that were shown on the exhibition floor at PAX Prime 2010.

Well... tits.

I have, today, updated the community wiki page with what I could find so far. I'll keep updating until it's complete :P

http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Omegathon

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    As has been learnt in the past - the Omegathon can be anything gaming, with a new PAX is likely a new format (Prime is individuals, East is teams) and the prize is yet to be revealed. The biggest mystery? The closely guarded secret that is the final round, on the main stage at PAX Aus, during the closing of the event. THE FINAL COUNTDOWN.

So, I told my boyfriend that I'd been selected yesterday after I got the call. He told me about wanting to go into the competition but we'd forgot. Anyway, I texted him about it and apparently when he figured out what I was talking about, he's yelled, "You bitch!" in his quiet office. A few funny looks :D

Have we figured out who the other Omeganauts are?

• xLadyDangerxxLadyDangerx Gaming connoisseur MelbourneRegistered User new member
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys its LadyDanger from Melbourne here I am soo incredibly excited to have been chosen as one of the few Omeganauts we are the first people and its so awesome to meet you guys here before the event :D this is going to be insane!!!! I literally had no idea they were even calling yesterday I was literally sitting on a couch at uni checking facebook (unbelievably I missed the announcement) I almost couldn't speak. After the call it was straight to my gaming community's Facebook page then a call to my mother

xLadyDangerx on
    This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?
    What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
    Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
    A man chooses; a slave obeys.
    War. War never changes.
    It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum
    Requiescat in pace.
    The Kid just rages for a while
    I finished up the Omegathon community wiki page, so all the past games are listed now.

I finished up the Omegathon community wiki page, so all the past games are listed now.

This has reinforced the fact that I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

edited May 2013
    This has reinforced the fact that I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.
    Well that's part of the FUN! :D

If anything stays similar to other paxes, it will be that all the games other than the final round will be released about a month before PAX, so you'll be able to prepare for that, at least.

zerzhul on
    When do we actually find out what we're playing? On the day? When the round starts?

Looks like I made my edit right as you were posting. The rounds other than the final round are released as part of the schedule, about a month prior to PAX. The final round is kept an extremely closely guarded secret that none other than those that are absolutely required to know what it is know about until the final omeganauts take the stage at the end of pax for that final showdown.

Oh good. A month sounds like enough time to prepare. I was worried I'd show up and have to play something I've never had any experience with.

edited May 2013
    Looks like I made my edit right as you were posting. The rounds other than the final round are released as part of the schedule, about a month prior to PAX. The final round is kept an extremely closely guarded secret that none other than those that are absolutely required to know what it is know about until the final omeganauts take the stage at the end of pax for that final showdown.

You guys are gonna be like "Well, they have no coordination so... DDR FOR ALL!" Then sell the videos online and make a mint.

I'm on to you...

Rade on
    Given that the first PAX East Omegathon was one of the most epic showdowns they've ever devised (if only everything worked perfectly! damned technical glitches), I totally expect a final round for the ages for the first PAX Aus Omegathon. I'm also curious as to what the prize will be!

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Have we figured out who the other Omeganauts are?

No, there should be a news post on PA by Gabe or Tycho announcing everyone, this list is just who I've found using my social media trawling skills, I'm just a PAX community person from Perth who has been part of the community since 08 and am really excited to see PAX Aus happen. I've got friends who have been Omeganauts for Prime in the past (and some who have been Alphanauts, may their souls rest in peace) and know how much of an excellent time they had doing it. You guys are in for a hell of a ride.

But back to the point, I have no real inside information, I just want to get you guys known around the community so you all have an excellent time.

• rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm gunning for the only Perth Omeganaut so far!
    WA represent.

• samuraibunnysamuraibunny Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    rith wrote: »
    WA represent.

i think sigh71 is from perth too. omegabuds!

• edge888edge888 Registered User new member
    So the grand prize has been confirmed today, not sure if it was announced on here yet...

"Airfare and 4 nights accommodation to PAX PRIME 2013 in SEATTLE, WA"

An amazing prize for an amazing event.

edge888 wrote: »
    So the grand prize has been confirmed today, not sure if it was announced on here yet...

And the emails went out too. I've just filled mine in!

• thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edge888 wrote: »

oh that sounds soooooo good!

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    rith wrote: »
    WA represent.

i think sigh71 is from perth too. omegabuds!

Ah no, no.
    I'm enforcing this PAX. :P

I'm throwing all my support to sigh71. Being from Perth.

• edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm clearly too late to be the first, but I do want to congratulate you all on your selection and welcome you all to the Omegafamily.

Omegarule, number one: Add "Omega-" to everything.

6YJGH2V.png
    I'm clearly too late to be the first, but I do want to congratulate you all on your selection and welcome you all to the Omegafamily.

Omegarule, number one: Add "Omega-" to everything.

OmegaRade is a hashtag I've got working for the competition. For support and stuff :P

• AussieYakAussieYak Registered User new member
    Hello my fellow Omeganauts!
    AussieYak here, or if we are working on our 'omeganames' like Rade,
    OMEGAYAK here.

I look forward to playing with you all, first time I am really doing anything like this haha,
    and first time actually being selected to do anything like this,

If you guys want, you can add me on steam under AussieYak for a bit of friendly competition on TF2 or CS:GO or something.

• tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    anybody know what state the calls for omeganauts have been coming from? i just realised ive been getting calls from an 02 number for the past week and ignoring it because telemarketers :S

tokyodove wrote: »
    anybody know what state the calls for omeganauts have been coming from? i just realised ive been getting calls from an 02 number for the past week and ignoring it because telemarketers :S

It was a private number, pretty sure they were skyping the winners.

This discussion has been closed.