As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Xbox One Thread in Which We Read the OP

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited June 2013 in Games and Technology
zhGO71f.png

Welcome to the Xbox One thread! It's going to be a bit...empty for now, I'll fill this OP out around E3 time.

The last thread was a cesspool of negativity and grim reminder as to why console megathreads were banned in the first place. I'm not saying this thread should be a fanboy echo chamber, but many posts were either unfunny snark or overly heated arguments on shit that we don't even have all the details on. You don't have to love the Xbox One to post here, just...try to look at the big picture and not get overly invested in what are essentially toys.

The Rules Which You Better Read
  • This is not a thread to defend your favorite hardware maker, nor is it one to shit over other hardware makers. This forum tends to be better about fan-silliness, but a lot of you tend to get all hot and bothered if anyone besmirches the House of Plumber. Appropriate and sincere comparisons are fine, but we don't need any dramatics. This includes tired memes like "lolsony" and the dreaded "M$".
  • In case it wasn't real obvious, DRM and Used Games in general aren't up for discussion.
  • This thread is not intended to be permanent. The most likely situation is that we'll give you the holiday season to enjoy the new toy Santa got you, and then this thread gets shut down. Exceptions have been made for hardware that's been struggling and cannot maintain a lot of active threads on specific games. The XBox One is likely not going to have that problem, so don't get attached to this thread.
  • As an addendum to the above, there is no guaranteed lifespan to this thread, and how long it lasts is inversely influenced by how bad behavior gets. We will not hesitate to take this thread away if people cannot act like adults.
  • The last thread had too many memes being kicked around. I think that Youtube "summary of the presentation" was posted every other page. So, chances that witty photoshop has been posted numerous times already. Maybe try generating some original thought?
  • These rules are to be posted in every subsequent thread.

Also, calling it the "Xbone" makes you a total goober.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I still love your OPs, Rorus.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This seemed like a pretty cool description of the touch-based feedback in the new controller:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/408733/features/ready-to-rumble-hands-on-with-xbox-ones-impressive-controller/
    Taking the popular form factor of the original Xbox 360 pad, Microsoft's designers claim they've made more than 40 design innovations to the new controller, with the aim of delivering a peripheral that's not only more comfortable but enables 'immersive' gaming experiences.

During the press conference we admit this sounded like complete marketing guff, especially when combined with the phrase "dynamic impulse triggers". But in truth when we tried this particular feature for ourselves we found it to be one of the most exciting aspects of Xbox One from a gamer's point of view.

Essentially, Microsoft has increased the number of force feedback motors in the Xbox One controller, allowing for more subtle rumble in localised parts of the pad. In one FPS-style demo we played, a virtual hand held out a pistol. Firing the pistol with the controller's right trigger resulted in simulated recoil occurring on just that part of the controller.

In another demo, which had the same virtual hand magically spawn a fire ball, we could 'feel' the explosive projectile explode from the centre of the controller and out towards your fingers. It was an impressive effect.

Other demos better showed off the feature's application as a gameplay enhancement. One allowed us to start the engine of a supercar with the Y button, causing the Xbox One controller to cough and splutter realistically as the virtual engine sparked to life

In another section showing a close up of the vehicle's wheels, the controller pulsed to simulated bumps in the road surface, and then violently clanged as the anti-lock breaks kicked in.

Finally, a simple demo featuring a human figure caused the controller to simulate a heartbeat, directly on the corresponding spot of the pad on the top right hand corner. It's been suggested the subtlety of Xbox One's force feedback could be used to find secrets of even indicate the direction of enemy fire in next-gen games.

Every journalist we spoke to at Microsoft's Redmond event agreed; the Xbox One controller feels like a big improvement over its 360 predecessor.

In comfort, the pad's handles feel more angular and better defined, screw holes and seam lines have been removed and the 360's bulky battery pack has been rotated 90 degrees and absorbed inside the controller. The latter means the Xbox One pad feels lighter, with weight better distributed across the peripheral.

From a functionality perspective, fans will be pleased to hear that the much-criticised d-pad of the current console has been redesigned and now feels tighter and more accurate with buttons presses rewarded with a satisfying click. The analogue sticks too have had their dead zones minimised significantly, says Microsoft.

Wait, is the battery integrated inside the controller, or is it just more streamline and flush? Because I know some people like to use rechargeable AAs in their controller instead of plunking down on the proprietary charge packs.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wait, is the battery integrated inside the controller, or is it just more streamline and flush? Because I know some people like to use rechargeable AAs in their controller instead of plunking down on the proprietary charge packs.

Looks like there's a panel on the back of the controller. Look through the pictures in that link and there's at least one of them showing it.

Beyond that, no clue on how the thing actually works, obviously.

PS - I still think the box looks hideous.

shryke on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I'm about 90% sure I heard it was confirmed to use AAs again, they just made the battery compartment not all weird like on the 360 controller. No source though, just mah brain.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, it still uses 2 AA batteries.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-005-660x440.jpg

As you can see, it's a very slight wedge protruding from the upper back of the controller.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    The idea of tracking incoming fire via directional controller vibration is nifty as crap.

Yeah, it still uses 2 AA batteries.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-005-660x440.jpg

As you can see, it's a very slight wedge protruding from the upper back of the controller.

That looks very nice, from an aesthetic perspective. I wonder how the vertical seams will feel - I never really had any complaints about the old 360 controller's seams, as far as holding the controller for a while.

• DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I am really looking forward to the new controller, it appears that they got rid of the "D-Pad pillar" which created lots of the dpad's wonkyness in the first place. An words on compatibility with XBox 360 or the 360 wireless PC receptor? Edit: I am also think its nice that it might take AA batteries. Better than an internal battery which might break and is non-replaceable.

Dratatoo on
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to the new controller, it appears to got rid of the "D-Pad pillar" which created lots of the dpad's wonkyness in the first place. An words on compatibility with XBox 360 or the 360 wireless PC receptor?

Nothing official yet but I doubt they're going to make it compatible with their old console, and why make it compatible with the 360 PC adapter when they can sell you a new adapter?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    360 controllers do not work on the new console and I suspect, from examining that design, they will also use an entirely different play and charge kit set up as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    I supected the same. Well, back to trying to connect a PS3 pad to have one with a non-shitty d-pad.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    ... seam lines have been removed...

There are totally seam lines on there.

Though I guess they mean fewer than before.

• ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    I was considering how the Kinect has the possibility of bringing new subtle gameplay mechanics into next gen games. Some of the stuff that I could see the Kinect being used for are potentially pretty cool features to have in a game. The technology could be used in some subtle ways in pretty much every genre. The most obvious example is a horror game where most of the events are procedurally generated taking into account the player's reactions. It could work with a game like Dead Space, where story events still happen but the majority is procedurally generated scares where things like how many enemies, the enemy types and the spawn location would change based on your emotional state. So it would react to your level of boredom/fear and then change the game subtly so that you get a more optimal scare experience. Music is another subtle element that I think will show some impact from the Kinect, where it will change the tempo or melody depending on how it sees the player react.

The Home 2.0 stuff sounds pretty interesting too. Mostly just potential at this stage, but it is cool to see them excited about the future of the device.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-28-german-commissioner-highlights-xbox-one-privacy-concerns

Now I am not one to be paranoid about things, but I am a little concerned over a devices that REQUIRES the Kinect, which then is on all the time. I realize that Microsoft has said you can disable these features, but the Kinect is still required. That requirement makes me suspicious, and it is not even so much that Microsoft is selling bio-metric data to Facebook or something stupid like that, but exploits from outside sources.
    We take it very seriously. We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.

That last part is what bothers me, because at the end of the day the hardware/software is designed to store and send that information. He isn't saying data is not sent, just not sent in a specific way unless you allow it. I just feel uneasy about a device that requires I have an extremely sophisticated tracking camera and high-definition audio recorder and that I connect to the Internet at least once per day.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Question for someone more versed in German politics than I: what are the odds that these concerns might lead to more regulation if not an outright ban of the Xbox One?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    In the event I buy an Xbox one, I am probably going to just put the kinect somewhere that I can wall off so it can't see jack shit. I am curious though if blocking the camera or otherwise impeding its ability to see anything will have any effect on the system working. If it does, then it's just another reason for me not to buy the Xbox One at all because I really am not keen on having a device with a camera "always on" in my house like that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    If physically blocking the Kinect stops the console from functioning, then oh boy. No fucking way I'm putting an always online camera in my house that insists on having an unobstructed view of my living space.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist nutjob to see how quickly that's going to go south.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-28-german-commissioner-highlights-xbox-one-privacy-concerns

Now I am not one to be paranoid about things, but I am a little concerned over a devices that REQUIRES the Kinect, which then is on all the time. I realize that Microsoft has said you can disable these features, but the Kinect is still required. That requirement makes me suspicious, and it is not even so much that Microsoft is selling bio-metric data to Facebook or something stupid like that, but exploits from outside sources.
    We take it very seriously. We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.

That last part is what bothers me, because at the end of the day the hardware/software is designed to store and send that information. He isn't saying data is not sent, just not sent in a specific way unless you allow it.

How is that at all different than probably a dozen other devices in your home?

I mean I can understand people being uneasy with the concept in general. But sending out and receiving data automatically is pretty much what computers do. Even if you aren't actively using it your PC is sending out and receiving data from the ISP at the least.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

That last part is what bothers me, because at the end of the day the hardware/software is designed to store and send that information. He isn't saying data is not sent, just not sent in a specific way unless you allow it.

I mean I can understand people being uneasy with the concept in general. But sending out and receiving data automatically is pretty much what computers do. Even if you aren't actively using it your PC is sending out and receiving data from the ISP at the least.

At least it isn't watching and listening to you while it does so.

edited May 2013

At least it isn't watching and listening to you while it does so.

That you know of.

But that ignores the point. "Ah ha! But they don't deny that it does send some information" isn't a concerning statement. If your device connects to the internet it sends information. It's entirely unrelated to the Kinect always being active. It's entirely possible that some day Microsoft will go crazy evil and spy on you while you jerk off to your favorite Gaius Pubis masterpiece because they have a camera on that fucker. While I'm not personally worried about that, I wholly understand people who are.

But to worry they'll do that because they don't deny that a device connected to the internet will send some information is not a logical concern. They can't say that it sends literally zero data. Well, they could, but it'd be a lie.

Quid on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Uhm... It's very different and I think I explained why it is already in my initial post.

If having a 24/7 surveillance device in your living room where you may or may not be able to opt out of various service functions that are built into it is ok with you - by all means, rock and roll.

I'll be more interested in this console if they decide that Kinect isn't mandatory, until then I don't feel comfortable with a company telling me I need to keep a recording device hooked up to a box that requires an internet connection at least once every 24 hours in order to play a video game.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Uhm... It's very different and I think I explained why it is already in my initial post.

If having a 24/7 surveillance device in your living room where you may or may not be able to opt out of various service functions that are built into it is ok with you - by all means, rock and roll.

I'll be more interested in this console if they decide that Kinect isn't mandatory, until then I don't feel comfortable with a company telling me I need to keep a recording device hooked up to a box that requires an internet connection at least once every 24 hours in order to play a video game.

So... on the current kinect you can do this
    You can choose to turn certain Kinect features on or off. For example, you might want to turn off the chat microphone or you might want to turn off the sensor, without having to unplug it.

Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
    Select Kinect Settings.
    Select the item that you want to change.
    Sensor: Turn the sensor on or off.
    Chat Microphone: Turn the chat microphone on if you want to talk to players while playing a game, or if you are using Video Kinect. Learn about Video Kinect. If you turn off the chat microphone, speech recognition still works.

Note: When you are using the Kinect Guide, you can turn the chat microphone on or off by hovering your hand over the speech icon in the lower-right corner.
    Speech Recognition: Turn on speech recognition if you want to use your voice to control your Xbox 360 console. Turn speech recognition off if you do not want to use voice commands (you can still use the sensor for chat). Learn about speech recognition.
    Select Off or On.
    d

I don't imagine that not being the case on the XBO, nor do I imagine them telling people you can shut off a feature(s) that they are explicitly advertising as being awesome. It's... rather self defeating.

As to whether or not the system still records? That falls under the same category of paranoia that people have with their phones, tablets, and laptops.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I am aware you can shut off features in the current Kinect - in fact, I can unplug it and simply not use it and my Xbox will function perfectly fine, I don't know why I have to keep emphasizing that it's the fact that it is a "required" device in order to use your system that is problematic.

I do not know or care what the Kinect sends to Microsoft, and it's not 'paranoia' to know and have control over what is actively running in your house - if I am able to remove the device and use the system, then there is no problem. If the device is required regardless of whatever 'settings' I may have chosen for it, then it isn't for me.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Maz- wrote: »

Less so if you read the first sentence:
    Microsoft believes there will be over 1 billion lifetime sales of next-generation consoles,

So we make it look like "MS thinks they can sell ONE BILLION Xbox Ones!" and, actually, that's not the quote or goal.

Edit: basically it's saying "we think the next generation will grow the market for consoles" which is obvious, because otherwise they, Sony and Nintendo wouldn't be making consoles for it. And they believe that their new stuff for Xbox will expand it further than expected, which is again obvious, and I'm sure Sony and Nintendo think the same thing for the PS4 and WiiU.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I like being watched, so this isn't an issue for me.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Also that pad looks fantastic. I can see Sony trying to quickly cobble something together at E3, like the motion in the six axis, to emulate that.

(Sorry, couldn't edit previous post, damn IE6).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited May 2013
    I am aware you can shut off features in the current Kinect - in fact, I can unplug it and simply not use it and my Xbox will function perfectly fine, I don't know why I have to keep emphasizing that it's the fact that it is a "required" device in order to use your system that is problematic.

I do not know or care what the Kinect sends to Microsoft, and it's not 'paranoia' to know and have control over what is actively running in your house - if I am able to remove the device and use the system, then there is no problem. If the device is required regardless of whatever 'settings' I may have chosen for it, then it isn't for me.

Kinda hard not to see your line of thought as paranoia when your line of reasoning seems to be built around insinuating that the Kinect is a "24/7 surveillance device" and such, but eh.

If the XBO isn't "for you" then there's nothing much else to say aside from thanks for all the fish, I guess.

tastydonuts on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

Microsoft believes there will be over 1 billion lifetime sales of next-generation consoles,

So we make it look like "MS thinks they can sell ONE BILLION Xbox Ones!" and, actually, that's not the quote or goal.

Edit: basically it's saying "we think the next generation will grow the market for consoles" which is obvious, because otherwise they, Sony and Nintendo wouldn't be making consoles for it. And they believe that their new stuff for Xbox will expand it further than expected, which is again obvious, and I'm sure Sony and Nintendo think the same thing for the PS4 and WiiU.

I know that it includes other consoles as well, but even then, that is extremely optimistic.

Sure, the market is gonna expand, but not to that extent.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699

I know that it includes other consoles as well, but even then, that is extremely optimistic.

You guys aren't taking into account the fact that the next generation of consoles is going to be two decades long. :P

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

Yes it is, but not to the extent that people are treating it. We're asking for them to be the first company ever to come out and say "hey, times are tough, we'd be happy if people are just buying the things. Probably gonna shift a few million in the first year or so?"

forumsig.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular

It's still "mindboggling" to think that a billion eighth-generation consoles will be sold. The current generation is sitting at 250 million.

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I wonder who will be the first celebrity to admit to having a Xbox One set up in their living room. Or bedroom.
    On the one hand, if it's Elijah Wood maybe it won't be such a big deal.
    But if it's GabeN, I'm calling hacked withing one (1) week.

[edit]
    To clarify, I'm not worried about MS selling nudie pics of me to the sekrit service.
    Oh, Suzy . . .

Commodore75 on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    So, is the switch to atom processors meant to deal with the errm... longevity issues of the previous generation? I know those bad boys put off less heat, and a console is meant to have a small form factor and not sound like a hair dryer.

Also, I think the most exciting/disappointing part of the xbone is the improved kinect sensors. I'm not super interested in them for gaming, but the kinect was a great price/quality proposition for hobbyist robotics and the like. The upgraded sensors would be the same thing if they weren't bundled with every console. I wonder if they'll ever sell them separately.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
    seabass wrote: »
    So, is the switch to atom processors meant to deal with the errm... longevity issues of the previous generation? I know those bad boys put off less heat, and a console is meant to have a small form factor and not sound like a hair dryer.

Also, I think the most exciting/disappointing part of the xbone is the improved kinect sensors. I'm not super interested in them for gaming, but the kinect was a great price/quality proposition for hobbyist robotics and the like. The upgraded sensors would be the same thing if they weren't bundled with every console. I wonder if they'll ever sell them separately.

Yeah, I think they'll definitely sell them separately since they're required to be connected to the system on boot...

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    They've already announced they will sell the Kinect sensors separately.

Also, there's nothing small form factor about the XBO. At least, not compared to other consoles. They are not wanting to repeat the heat issues of the 360, and so that bad boy has a massive cooling fan that should be quiet, and vents cover at least 45% of its surface.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    UK retailer Blockbuster says the Xbox One is breaking preorder records.

Welp. From what I've seen so far, the XOne is not going in a direction I want gaming to go, so while it isn't good for the industry to see it do porly, I can't see I would be happy if it dominated the next generation either.

Eh, we'll see what happens when the price etc. is announced. There will always be a crowd that preorders and buys a game as quickly as possible.

• ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    seabass wrote: »

Kinect 2.0 for windows was confirmed for 2014 after the conference. I felt the Kinect stuff has the best promise. If they deliver on the voice side and make it an improved Siri/Google Now device that can interface with your TV, that would be really cool.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    UK retailer Blockbuster says the Xbox One is breaking preorder records.

Welp. From what I've seen so far, the XOne is not going in a direction I want gaming to go, so while it isn't good for the industry to see it do porly, I can't see I would be happy if it dominated the next generation either.

Eh, we'll see what happens when the price etc. is announced. There will always be a crowd that preorders and buys a game as quickly as possible.
    I think the real news here is that there is still a functioning Blockbuster in existence.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
This discussion has been closed.