As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Young Uncanny Secret A.I. Arena [Avengers] Thread (Now with less Dark)

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Young Avengers is so good.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Seriously. It had a slow start, but I'm so happy with where it is, now.

McKelvie is really stepping his art the hell up on each issue, too - and I already was a big fan.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Yeah I love McKelvie's spreads. I'm glad I stayed on board I was ready to give up on it by issue two but it's really taken OFF.

Can anyone shine some light on what the hell is happening to Kid Loki?

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »

Being awesome.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So here's something interesting regarding recent developments in Avengers:
    Okay, so they're in the Savage Land, and Garokk shows up just checking things out, right? So I went to Wikipedia to refresh myself on Garokk's deal, and I found this regarding his next to last most recent appearance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garokk
    When the Savage Land was destroyed by the alien Terminus, Terminus was defeated by the Avengers, his armor ruptured and Terminus himself left to die, but it turned out that this Terminus was just an impostor. Garokk found a suit of Terminus armor and under mental control (presumably by the real Terminus) entered it and started destroying the remainder of the Savage Land. The X-Men fought this "Terminus" and destroyed the armor to reveal Garokk. Garokk regained his free will and together with a machine made by the High Evolutionary, he restored the tropical environment to the Savage Land. This process infused Garokk's essence into the land, causing him to cease to exist as an individual entity.

The mention of Terminus reminded me "wasn't he mentioned in solicits recently?"... It turns out yes, he's showing up in the next issue.
    AVENGERS #13
    JONATHAN HICKMAN & NICK SPENCER (W) • MIKE DEODATO (A)
    Cover by Lenil Yu
    “EVOLUTIONARY LEAP”
    • The High Evolutionary stakes his claim on the Children of the Sun.
    • Hyperion learns the true cost of the decisions he’s made at the Origin Site in the Savage Land.
    • The Return of techno-titan Terminus.

That Garokk/Terminus/High Evolutionary story happened in Uncanny X-Men Annual #12, by Chris Claremont and Art Adams. It was published in 1988... I think Hickman is referencing a thirty-four year old story here, and it's blowing my mind! I have no idea where he's going with it, but it's kind of amazing.

You uh

Might want to check your math there.

(25)

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Yeah I love McKelvie's spreads. I'm glad I stayed on board I was ready to give up on it by issue two but it's really taken OFF.

Have you not read Journey Into Mystery? I mean Loki kind of explains exactly what is happening but I also read all that stuff he summarized in this most recent issue so maybe it was easier for me to follow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    aaaaah my LCS didn't have the new releases at lunchtime yesterday because it was a holiday on Monday so I still haven't read it aaaaaaaah

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Young Avengers is so good. I am loving this book. For something I picked up on a whim it's quickly becoming my favorite.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

Have you not read Journey Into Mystery? I mean Loki kind of explains exactly what is happening but I also read all that stuff he summarized in this most recent issue so maybe it was easier for me to follow.

Short version is that Loki now has a conscience.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It's kind of like Superior Spider-Man, except that his ghost is a younger version of himself that he tricked into killing himself and allowing himself to take over his body.

• Options
    Long version is read Journey Into Mystery

specifically the Siege: Loki one-shot, followed by the Fear Itself tie-in issues and then proceed from there until Immonen takes over and it becomes a Sif book (which I've heard is still good but I'm talking about Loki's story)

• Options
    Thanks guys. I thought that might be why I was a little thrown off. This book has been my first encounter with Kid Loki. I actually picked up the first issue of JIM the other day because of the praise everyone was giving it on here! It's really good so far I love when Loki is posting pics of Asgard online and everyone is calling him a troll and the like.

Also in my vernacular a Sif is a secret internet fatty @fearghaill but I'm guessing that's not what you mean haha

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I thought that might be why I was a little thrown off. This book has been my first encounter with Kid Loki. I actually picked up the first issue of JIM the other day because of the praise everyone was giving it on here! It's really good so far I love when Loki is posting pics of Asgard online and everyone is calling him a troll and the like.

Also in my vernacular a Sif is a secret internet fatty @fearghaill but I'm guessing that's not what you mean haha

indeed not

sif-11.jpg

• Options

No dude, this is a Sif.

tumblr_mmxdkijZfG1qzo16po1_500.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Why must internet anagrams ruin all the words!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    OK so Dark is ending so that leaves adjectiveless Avengers, Uncanny, New, A.I., Young, and Arena? And isn't Arena going to be going on hiatus soon?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    No, it is just ending it's first season. The book is going to continue.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    You also forgot Secret

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Yep, that makes 7 books still.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I'm really curious what the second "season" of Arena is going to entail.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Drax punching Arcade in the face. For 12 issues.

• Options
    I would buy every issue of that. Twice.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wait, it's not a mini-series? This is gonna be a regular thing? Groups of young heroes killing each other Survivor-for-reals style?

Yeesh. I'm all for another young heroes book, just hope it doesn't turn it into a 'characters we haven't done anything with for a while' disposal. Already not crazy about who and how they've been killing.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    It is ongoing, but we don't know what the structure of "season two" is going to look like.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    avengers arena² hypercube

• Options
    I have a feeling it will be closer to a team book but with an interesting twist.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Season 2 has the book's title change to Avengers Araña and everyone is Spider-Man.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Season two could be an Avengers book where they are actually avenging something.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Avengers means superhero team that is not really X-Men or F4 related in modern Marvel comics and has done for a while

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The Avengers have never been about avenging. It's literally just a name that everyone thought would be cool.

1627253-avg1.png

But yeah, if Season Two is about them going after Arcade and his cohort for killing their friends, then they would finally be avenging something.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Since when has avenging something. mattered?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    (New Warriors)

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    But yeah, if Season Two is about them going after Arcade and his cohort for killing their friends, then they would finally be avenging something.
    Keith wrote: »
    Season 2 has the book's title change to Avengers Araña and everyone is Spider-Man.
    Hullis wrote: »
    (New Warriors)

I am on-board with any of these.

Though we did recently have an 'everyone is Spider-Man' event... and before that an 'everyone is Hulk' and 'everyone is Thor'...

Keep your eyes peeled - next big event, 'everyone is Wolverine.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    One step closer to
    Everyone is Stiltman!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

The surviving teenagers build a stadium in tribute to their fallen friends, the Avengers Arena.

Wacky hijinks ensue as Groundskeeper Reptil butts heads with Coach Minoru of the San Francisco Sorcerers.

Munch on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    The Avengers have never been about avenging. It's literally just a name that everyone thought would be cool.

1627253-avg1.png

Revengers

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So Juggernaut is gonna show up in Uncanny Avengers soon, as is Quicksilver.

The way Remender worded it it sounds like Juggernaut might actually join the team.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm really curious if Evan's going to be dragged into the Apocalypse cult's plans again.

• Options
    eh, he was a failure, the twins would be the true heirs in their eyes I'd imagine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    he'd be a sort of Antichrist figure to them, wouldn't he?