As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Planetside 2 VANU] Apparently there have been upgrades! People are playing this!

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    The ZOE needs a few upgrades before its noticable.

The biggest benefit I've noticed for it is the comet. The anti-infantry guns its ok for, I mainly toggle on/off for the mobility. But the extra damage trade-off makes it nothing special and I wouldn't worry about a nerf.

I think the constant crying in /yell is just the TR and NC not being used to our MAX units not sucking total fucking ass. ZOE MAX still gets totally annihilated by a NC scatter MAX.

Try ZOE with dual comets though and you will just rip vehicles apart.

I haven't been able to catch a ZOE MAX in my NC MAX. I think that's the biggest downside of the NC MAX shield, the loss of charge, and the fact that the shield slows you down further.

Not as bad as Lockdown in that regard though.

Did see the most hilarious thing though while running on TR. 3 double Fracture MAXes with Lockdown on a hill. It was like that Lasher video posted earlier, but with red missiles everywhere.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the biggest advantage of the shield seems to be that you can throw it up while you reload (not sure if this is intended or not.) It does a good job of accentuating the strength of the NC max since you don't have to worry as much about staying at short range against multiple enemies, but not having charge must be a pain.

I used the last of my TR guys granted certs on double factures, and they are a lot of fun. With lockdown if you get position above enemy armor you can really wreck things

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Trying to pop into a corridor and accurately loose off a decimator shot onto lockdowned TR MAXes at the other end is a very low percentage play :(

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    the biggest advantage of the shield seems to be that you can throw it up while you reload (not sure if this is intended or not.) It does a good job of accentuating the strength of the NC max since you don't have to worry as much about staying at short range against multiple enemies, but not having charge must be a pain.

I used the last of my TR guys granted certs on double factures, and they are a lot of fun. With lockdown if you get position above enemy armor you can really wreck things

The Shield is a ton of fun (probably the most of the lot actually)

Had a few pushes where we just had shield MAXes walking in a line with a bunch of infantry behind them ducking in and out. Feels bad ass.

Not completely sold on the Ravens, the guided aspect seems more like a liability in a lot of cases.

Lockdown is awesome, but situational. Had people praising it and condemning it depending on whether they were lucky enough to get a good spot.

But it does illustrate how vital mobility is to survival.

ZOE is just crazy though. I love the speed boost, since the slowness of the MAXes is probably the most frustrating thing about them.

The extra damage isn't very noticeable (level 2 with dual somethings, the 250 cert AI ones) but neither is the armour reduction.

Biggest downside is me shooting ghosts because of the distortion effects.

Move to New Zealand
    Now that I'm no longer using Charge, I should probably get Slugs for my Hacksaws.

They seemed pretty underwhelming in VR though.

Move to New Zealand
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I don't even care about the damage boost for ZOE. The movement speed buff is what Charge should have been. (half the time Charge just gets me killed, is it me or can you not turn it off once triggered?)

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Sorry to everyone for dropping off kind of abruptly last night (esp. @LtMuffin360)!

It was fun while it (briefly) lasted! :)

I'm trying out a new "attack helicopter" build for the Scythe: PPA (High zoom), Photon Rocket Pods (IR optics), Scout Radar (about to upgrade to ... rank 3, 150m), Composite Armor (rank 2?), maxed-out Hover Stability airframe.

I rip tanks apart, and finding infantry "hiding" is lots of fun. I don't seem to rack up too many kills, but I get lots and lots and lots of assists - usually because I put down a lot of hurt, but then have to run away to repair, because lifetime over target is ridiculously short. Everyone and their brother has a lock-on weapon and flak is everywhere. The lack of flares (which I always use when running an AA-build Scythe) really, really hurts in the current environment.

Smart flying - popping up and over terrain features, always having a convenient mountain to hide behind (you know, like a helicopter ... - can ameliorate this somewhat, but, seriously, ESFs are fragile as hell.

I've got about two hundred certs at the moment, which I'm probably going to invest in upgrading the Scout Radar to rank 3 for more through-the-mountains visibility.

Fun thing I found out this weekend: ESFs will instantly explode when they run into trees, but missiles seem to have no problem whatsoever flying through them. More investigation is warranted.

Has anyone else had success running a similar build? Tricks and tips you can share?

I run something similar on my Reaver, but fly a bit different. It centers around scout radar (such a huge radius), but I go with the Reaver shotgun, no secondary (extra afterburner fuel), racer 3, and self repair. I fly low to the ground and super fast. I make a pass or two on a base, then get out of there before anyone can switch to AA. The extra afterburn is great in running away from ESF fights, or to close the distance needed for the shotgun. Stay away from the massive fights that are going to have AA ready.

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Sorry to everyone for dropping off kind of abruptly last night (esp. @LtMuffin360)!

It was fun while it (briefly) lasted! :)

I'm trying out a new "attack helicopter" build for the Scythe: PPA (High zoom), Photon Rocket Pods (IR optics), Scout Radar (about to upgrade to ... rank 3, 150m), Composite Armor (rank 2?), maxed-out Hover Stability airframe.

I rip tanks apart, and finding infantry "hiding" is lots of fun. I don't seem to rack up too many kills, but I get lots and lots and lots of assists - usually because I put down a lot of hurt, but then have to run away to repair, because lifetime over target is ridiculously short. Everyone and their brother has a lock-on weapon and flak is everywhere. The lack of flares (which I always use when running an AA-build Scythe) really, really hurts in the current environment.

Smart flying - popping up and over terrain features, always having a convenient mountain to hide behind (you know, like a helicopter ... - can ameliorate this somewhat, but, seriously, ESFs are fragile as hell.

I've got about two hundred certs at the moment, which I'm probably going to invest in upgrading the Scout Radar to rank 3 for more through-the-mountains visibility.

Fun thing I found out this weekend: ESFs will instantly explode when they run into trees, but missiles seem to have no problem whatsoever flying through them. More investigation is warranted.

Has anyone else had success running a similar build? Tricks and tips you can share?

I run something similar on my Reaver, but fly a bit different. It centers around scout radar (such a huge radius), but I go with the Reaver shotgun, no secondary (extra afterburner fuel), racer 3, and self repair. I fly low to the ground and super fast. I make a pass or two on a base, then get out of there before anyone can switch to AA. The extra afterburn is great in running away from ESF fights, or to close the distance needed for the shotgun. Stay away from the massive fights that are going to have AA ready.

I typically run a similar build for air-air. Speed frame + fuel tanks, extra shots per clip. I keep the flares though.

I would download a car.
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    The one thing I cannot handle in this game is air assets. I don't know if it's because I use a trackball or what, but any time I get into an aircraft I am magnetically accelerated into the ground. I did ram a loaded sunderer once tho, that was satisfying.

I will admit that my primary air to air tactic is to shoot up the enemy, then unload my rockets as I close in and ram.

No one expects it, and if you beat them up enough its actually pretty effective. Better than my dismal dogfighting, anyway.

I found this tutorial on vertical thrust useful. Especially when paired with a long unedited video of it being used effectively in real fights. The tip about binding the analog throttle key was especially useful.

I would download a car.
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

The Shield is a ton of fun (probably the most of the lot actually)

Had a few pushes where we just had shield MAXes walking in a line with a bunch of infantry behind them ducking in and out. Feels bad ass.

Not completely sold on the Ravens, the guided aspect seems more like a liability in a lot of cases.

Lockdown is awesome, but situational. Had people praising it and condemning it depending on whether they were lucky enough to get a good spot.

But it does illustrate how vital mobility is to survival.

ZOE is just crazy though. I love the speed boost, since the slowness of the MAXes is probably the most frustrating thing about them.

The extra damage isn't very noticeable (level 2 with dual somethings, the 250 cert AI ones) but neither is the armour reduction.

Biggest downside is me shooting ghosts because of the distortion effects.

The damage on an anti-infantry weapon isn't much different with ZOE. Its like 1 shot to kill less or something.

Its the comet that shines with it the fire rate and projectile speed is all super charged, makes those NC and TR armor lines run like little girls.

And ya other MAX can't catch a ZOE, but one on one a NC scatter MAX just mows over a ZOE. At range a ZOE with comets however should win.

So maybe I dont have enough of our waterson VS on my friend list, cause I thought I had most of the PA outfit's people on it and I never see them on. I'm not in the outfit so I wouldn't know for sure.

My VS name is badwr0ng if anyone wants to add me. I'm with the Purple Wraiths, great guys if anyone needs an active outfit.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Feel free to add me, I'm DerFleeb, currently with Stupid Sexy Vanu [SEXC] but just because I like the tag. I'm on at least a bit almost every day.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    I found this tutorial on vertical thrust useful. Especially when paired with a long unedited video of it being used effectively in real fights. The tip about binding the analog throttle key was especially useful.

That's ... interesting. I fly with a joystick, myself, and I've got an actual analog throttle, but it never zeroes out properly (in this game, anyway - it works fine everywhere else; it's also reversed for some reason).

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    played for a bit last night, didn't see a cloud of TR ESF and Liberators, or heck that many aircraft at all. Also remembered why I stopped playing as much... my video card just seems to suck balls with the game. I could crank down a bunch of setting even more but then the game really looks like shit. Sigh , guess I will have to pickup a new card in a bit. What is everyone else running?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    i5-3570K, AMD 6870 and 8GB of RAM. I run it at 40-50 FPS depending on the level of action. Have all setting maxed except for shadows (which are on low) and draw distance.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited May 2013
    i5-2500k, Geforce GTX 570, 8 gig RAM, game installed on a SSD. No real issues here.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Nothing too crazy then.. I forget what my Processor is but I am on a Geforce GTX 460 with 8gb of ram and running off a SSD. Sometimes things are ok, other times it janky as shit. Having your screen freeze for a sec then jump ahead doesnt help when you are piloting an ESF or sniping people.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    lazegamer wrote: »

That's ... interesting. I fly with a joystick, myself, and I've got an actual analog throttle, but it never zeroes out properly (in this game, anyway - it works fine everywhere else; it's also reversed for some reason).

I expected they would have properly addressed joystick support by now, but I haven't even heard a whisper. It's disappointing because I'd much rather use a joystick to fly than a mouse. It seems like too much of a disadvantage though.

I would download a car.
    edited May 2013
    Do many people these days even use joysticks? I doubt it's a high priority if only a tiny fraction of players use one.
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Nothing too crazy then.. I forget what my Processor is but I am on a Geforce GTX 460 with 8gb of ram and running off a SSD. Sometimes things are ok, other times it janky as shit. Having your screen freeze for a sec then jump ahead doesnt help when you are piloting an ESF or sniping people.

What kind of internet connection do you have? It may not be hardware that's screwing you up.

Fleeb on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Apparently ZOE speed nerf is now active on PTS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lfF55e3CM

edited May 2013
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Do many people these days even use joysticks? I doubt it's a high priority if only a tiny fraction of players use one.
    darkmayo wrote: »

What kind of internet connection do you have? It may not be hardware that's screwing you up.

In Calgary Alberta, with Telus DSL, never have problems with other online games, GW2, MW3 etc etc all good latency wise, still hiccups here and there graphically.

Thinking maybe getting a 660 TI or something. Looking around the $300+ price range.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I have the same video card as darkmayo and I get the same hiccups, it is furstrating

• Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    citizen059 wrote: »

clip

That seems reasonable to me. Do a little something without over doing it.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    I'm fine with it just as long as the ZOE forward movement speed is similar to what it is currently (or they scrap ZOE for PS1 style jump jets).

Edit:
    Does ZOE affect MAX punch damage? I might need to run around smacking TR tonight if it becomes a one shot.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    Welp TR capped Indar and their 45% world pop doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.

AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Welp TR capped Indar and their 45% world pop doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.
    We reallu need to get server transfers soon so that we can get the hell off this server.

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    We reallu need to get server transfers soon so that we can get the hell off this server.

Problem with that is that there aren't any US servers that VS are underpopulated on.

steam_sig.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    vanu are the big boys on mattherson, although the population is more balanced there than waterson

waterson and mattherson will probably wind up getting merged at some point anyway

NREqxl5.jpg
    vanu are the big boys on mattherson, although the population is more balanced there than waterson

waterson and mattherson will probably wind up getting merged at some point anyway

Stand our ground on Waterson until that happens and this is what will await us (shamelessly stolen from elsewhere):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rP2W5lpfJUQ

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited May 2013
    That. Is. Awesome.

vpMtC31.jpg

Fleeb on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So do we not do Ventrilo anymore? I have been logging in the last couple of days and have literally seen 1 person, like the night before last.

OK, I knew about analog throttle but for some reason I never knew the game had a look sideways button o.O

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    OK, I knew about analog throttle but for some reason I never knew the game had a look sideways button o.O

I've got looking around mapped to my POV hat on my joystick; not hugely impressed with the way it's implemented, though.

citizen059 wrote: »

clip

That seems reasonable to me. Do a little something without over doing it.

it appears that what they've done is add more of the 'momentum' that regular maxes have to zoe mode; zoe can change directions really quickly while strafing and that seems to be what most of the fuss is about

NREqxl5.jpg
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Stand our ground on Waterson until that happens and this is what will await us (shamelessly stolen from elsewhere):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rP2W5lpfJUQ

That video perfectly illustrates why I'd never play any other faction.

EH28YFo.jpg
    To all those that were on tonight, it was fun and we need to keep the good times rolling like that.

To all those that were not on tonight, check in sometime. We were at about half a squad and this is a game the likes more peeps.

steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, had something of a blast tonight. I love revive grenades.

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    So, my new car is going to be Vanu Purple... err Plum Crazy ;)

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
    Wulf wrote: »
    So, my new car is going to be Vanu Purple... err Plum Crazy ;)

Dodge?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png