As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless Signal Boost

BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
So the way my apartment is set up, my wireless router is in my living room, but I don't get any signal in my bedroom. What is the best way to increase the signal without having a ton of wires all through the place?

cdmAF00.png
Coran Attack!

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I use a linksys wireless range extender. Only needs a wall outlet once you set it up and provides a pretty decent increase in range.

RE1000 is the model.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Wired is always best if you can swing it. Depending on the electrical wiring in your building you may be able to do ethernet over powerline, where you plug an adapter into an electrical socket and use the building wiring.

Also, depending on your router you there may be a software setting to boost your signal strength, or you may be able to flash the firmware with something like DDWRT and then there will be software setting to boost your signal strength, or it may not be possible at all.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    There are guides out there on how to build better wireless antenna with simple things like popcans. I don't know how feasible that is in your case, but that might be something to consider as it can be considerably cheaper.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Was in a similar situation to you. Router on ground floor, bedroom can only just barely connect at the best of times, and constantly dropping out, you'd be fortunate to do anything with it.

Bought one of these and hooked it up to my PC:

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NH-802-11g-Wireless-Long-Range/dp/B003YIFHJY/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&srs=2528906011&ie=UTF8&qid=1369953832&sr=1-15&keywords=alfa+network

It looks cheap and flimsy, but it ended up working out surprisingly well. I get a good solid connection to the router now, and it's good for gaming (good pings) and all. You'll likely detect a tonne more networks, but I wouldn't expect being able to connect to them.

I don't know whether that's the latest model.

subedii on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    You can extend wifi, but the signal becomes directional. Look up Yagi Antennas or a cantenna of you want to extend point-to-point ranges