As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Lotro is also rocketing towards heavy nickle and diming monetization of everything.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    It's freemium past a certain point and they keep on adding more silly features on top of each other that make use of random crap from the cash shop.

• Options
    Rise of Immortals follow-up: Battle for Graxia has launched.

Ecol Tactics is now available to play

Lost Saga apparently relaunched in North America and it's confusing the heck out of me, because that game is super old and it was first on some other publisher's site.

Prius Online (not the car) relaunched as Arcane Saga. It's still the exact same game, but now I can't make the "not a car" joke any more. Curses.

Dragon Pals is a new game on R2 and seems to be exactly the same as their other turn based games, only this time with little dragons. It's... gah. They get a nice artist to draw stuff and then they build a boring game around it!

Anno Online entered Open Beta. I'm curious whether it's an actual game. I love the concept of Anno, but can never get over the annoying mission structure, so if this is more of a city-builder that goes on forever I might be interested.

I forgot Infinite Crisis earlier, so it's on the list now.

For those who like the format:

Anno Online
    In-browser
    Info: An attempt to turn Anno into a MMO. They've gone for the medieval setting and you're spending a lot of time building your city. Can't gather much info from their website.
    Avoid? I dunno

Arcane Saga
    Prius Online
    Client
    Info: Clunky and slow grind MMO with a clumsy story attached full of bad voice acting and Engrish.
    Avoid? It's cool, man

Battle for Graxia
    Client
    Info: The follow-up of Rise of Immortals. It's the standard Dota/MOBA gameplay, only you unlock a talent tree (discipline) and items with bonuses for your character that carry over between games.
    Avoid? It's cool, man

Dragon Pals
    In-browser
    Info: Kiddy MMO with dragon pets. Tagline: "unlock them all". Battle is handled turn-based and it's very basic. Like I've come to expect of R2 they hire a good artist to draw stuff and then build a boring game around it.
    Avoid? I dunno

Ecol Tactics
    In-browser
    Info: Inspired by the old-school TBS titles of yore. It promises a big story, a huge world and plenty of tactical options.
    Avoid? I dunno

Inifinite Crisis
    Client
    Info: DC Comics heroes and villains duke it out in this MOBA. There's a lot of famous ones, but they also got a lot of the lesser known characters on the roster. The unique twist is that you get to use some elements of the environment in your fights, although this is not as elaborate as one would dream of.
    Avoid? It's cool, man

Lost Saga
    Client
    Info: A 3D multiplayer version of Power Stone. It provides fast beat-em-up action, a lot of different characters and graphics that bring a smile to my face. The cash shop is kind of a huge thing, though, so I don't know if it has lasting appeal to folks who don't want to spend money.
    Avoid? I dunno

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    What is it with websites for Asian-ported MMOs that don't have any media that actually shows you what the game is like? Oh sure, I can read about classes and races and look at art for them, but screenshots? Videos? Fuck that noise, no one wants to know what the game looks like, they want to read what a Fighter does for the Nth time.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    What is it with websites for Asian-ported MMOs that don't have any media that actually shows you what the game is like? Oh sure, I can read about classes and races and look at art for them, but screenshots? Videos? Fuck that noise, no one wants to know what the game looks like, they want to read what a Fighter does for the Nth time.
    srsly. I usually have Youtube open in another tab to find *any* kind of moving images for some of these games.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Lotro is also rocketing towards heavy nickle and diming monetization of everything.

how so? I have not played it since I started playing SWTOR again

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

how so? I have not played it since I started playing SWTOR again

You notice it the most with legendary items: the relics that go in it are expensive to make, and the only way to remove ones from old weapons is with a cash shop item.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Are there any free to play MMOs that are soloable and don't really feel like you have to purchase something just to not be completely fucked until around the end game?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Are there any free to play MMOs that are soloable and don't really feel like you have to purchase something just to not be completely fucked until around the end game?

Path of Exile springs to mind. If you liked Diablo 2: this is the successor.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Since they've redone the F2P matrix, probably EQ2. You're restricted from using top tiers of gear and spells, but they're not really needed, the Treasured quality stuff you get from quests (or player crafting) is more than good enough to carry you. And after level 20 or so you can hire mercs, which will fight with you (or tank for you or heal you, depending on the type you hire), making it easier still.

It's funny really, you go into vanilla dungeons and get Legendary and Fabled drops (stuff F2P players can't use without paying)... and they're much, much worse than the stuff that just drops off mobs or gets crafted even without rares these days. No wonder soloing felt so hard back in the day, we wore crap.

(some tips, pick Frostfang Sea/New Halas as your starting location, don't make a healing class if you plan on soloing, if you find quests are starting to outlevel you too much find a teleporter bell and go do a parallel zone to catch up, it's super fast and stops you getting frustrated trying to fight mobs +3)

Glal on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kooleagle and I just started up Saga of Ryzom.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    How is Ryzom nowadays? I used play like 8 years ago.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    added: World of Trinketz
    In-browser
    Info: A 3D facebook MMO where you manage a bunch of little critters who maintain a garden and house for you. You gotta keep them happy, hydrated and well-fed or they'll become angry and refuse to work. Your character can also walk around the game world and gain levels and gear and everything. For facebook, this is elaborate.
    Avoid? I dunno

• Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    On the topic of Neverwinter, have really been enjoying it as an alternative to many MMOs that let the player have free reign on movement. The conscious design decision to make players and enemies plant their feet in order to cast spells or do abilities really gives a sense of weight to the whole combat system, and makes status effects like stun or knockdown seem that much more important. Enemies that use line of sight to avoid attacks are not sprouting up from every crack, but do add another element to the mix and make it seem like the enemy really has earned that crit they got against you when they're flanking.

It's the first time I've played a pure warrior in an MMO, but it's ultra satisfying to to be tactical on the battlefield and have it pay dividends in terms of how much damage you take and how many mobs you can take on.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is even going to be Free2Play, but it was just announced that mail ru is going to partner up with Obsidian Entertainment, for the new MMORPG by the Allods team "Skyforge". The game has been in development since 2010. No idea how recent Obsidian's involvment is.

• Options
    Cheers @C2B we'll wait for news before I'm bothering writing up a description.

In other news: EA is working on a MOBA game called Dawngate. No real info yet, but it seems like every major publisher has a a MOBA out or in the works now.

• Options
    Yeah, and much like subscription MMOs it's a genre I'm increasingly finding myself unable to multitask on. It takes so much practice to get good at it and very little break to start slipping back I find myself too frustrated to just fire them up every now and again. "This game was really fun! Yeah, but remember what happened the last time when you played while out of practice. Is it fun enough to play it for a week straight and get good again? No? Pick something else..."

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, and much like subscription MMOs it's a genre I'm increasingly finding myself unable to multitask on. It takes so much practice to get good at it and very little break to start slipping back I find myself too frustrated to just fire them up every now and again. "This game was really fun! Yeah, but remember what happened the last time when you played while out of practice. Is it fun enough to play it for a week straight and get good again? No? Pick something else..."
    Pick one and stick with it, basically.

Thank god for casual leagues, though.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

My standby for this sort of game has always been Dungeon Fighter Online. So long as you're willing to look up ability spec guides the majority of the game is soloable.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    My standby for this sort of game has always been Dungeon Fighter Online. So long as you're willing to look up ability spec guides the majority of the game is soloable.
    Not gonna happen. They're shutting down DFO.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Not gonna happen. They're shutting down DFO.

Whaaaat?! When did this happen?

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Whaaaat?! When did this happen?
    Since April.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Worst news ever.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    And it's not even news :P

Eden Eternal would be my go-to cutesy Asian grind MMO, if only for the colours. I loooove me some pastel colours.

• Options
    Spirit Tails is also really cute and low maintenance.

• Options
    Thanks C2B for providing me with info for this

Skyforge (no site yet)
    Client
    Upcoming
    Info: From the makers of Allods online and with the help of a lot of talent from Eastern Europe/Russia. Fantasy game with a lot of unique classes, action-based combat, very bright and colorful graphics and it's taking a big step away from a lot of the MMORPG tropes. More info will come soon I hope.

• Options
    Pretty elaborate preview of Dragon's Prophet http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/massivelys-dragons-prophet-first-impressions/ The author wasn't very impressed with the combat system, but I think he missed the memo where "action-based" means that the outcome of the battle depends on your reflexes more than hashing out the correct cycle as quickly as your cooldowns allow for.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Eh, Dragons Prophet is pretty cool. I feel like the combat is incredibly floaty, everything feels like it's on ice.

• Options
    It's very much a beta, janky like all heck and I'm not just talking missing item names/descriptions. Definitely one I'll wait for release on, it shows promise.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Pretty elaborate preview of Dragon's Prophet http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/massivelys-dragons-prophet-first-impressions/ The author wasn't very impressed with the combat system, but I think he missed the memo where "action-based" means that the outcome of the battle depends on your reflexes more than hashing out the correct cycle as quickly as your cooldowns allow for.

Items with labels like "SYS240260255_NAME" make it seem like it's unfinished? You don't say? Sheesh, someone tell this guy what a beta is.

I think the game got a lot more interesting with the latest patch. It made every enemy more damaging and gave them a lot of knockdowns, making dodging and planning your attacks super important. I love it, and I really hope they don't change that aspect of the combat too much for release.

• Options
    Deans wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

Items with labels like "SYS240260255_NAME" make it seem like it's unfinished? You don't say? Sheesh, someone tell this guy what a beta is.

I think the game got a lot more interesting with the latest patch. It made every enemy more damaging and gave them a lot of knockdowns, making dodging and planning your attacks super important. I love it, and I really hope they don't change that aspect of the combat too much for release.
    Yea, Massively needs some better writers fo sho. It does make me feel better about my own rambling in this thread, which is good.

I am kind of worried that if this is supposed to come out in like 2 or 3 months that they'll dump an unending open beta on us.

• Options
    ran88dom99ran88dom99 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Mighty quest for epic loot by ubisoft is not open yet but i got in the beta. HackNslash with design your own dungeon. Light on --oh right theres an nda-- may not mean much since i generally don't like mmorpgs. Watch the trailer cause its also a trailer for a movie. Edit: Lost Saga is my favorite action game ever.

ran88dom99 on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Has the nda been lifted? Cus I was in on that game from the alpha, until more recently when a patch made it unplayable for a whole mess of people.

It's passable.

Also, I can forgive people for forgetting what a beta is supposed to be when every single dev now says a beta is just an excuse to sell $200 "founder's packs" and release their game to the public with a cash shop, half-completed content, and unlimited bugs.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    rustyzipporustyzippo San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Dragon's Prophet is going open beta on May 30. They're also selling the founders packs for 25% off. A $15 founders pack includes $20 of SOE dollars, so if you need some Sony funbux, might be worth checking out.

Steam:Reign48
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    I've only been playing dragons prophet for an hour or so but I'm hooked, combat feels like a more fluid tera the world and questing feel like gw2...and you can capture and level dragons...so it's pretty fantastic.

• Options
    rustyzippo wrote: »
    Dragon's Prophet is going open beta on May 30. They're also selling the founders packs for 25% off. A $15 founders pack includes $20 of SOE dollars, so if you need some Sony funbux, might be worth checking out.
    Already? I'm surprised, when I played during a weekend a couple of weeks ago the game didn't feel nearly finished enough for an open beta, let alone a We Are Selling Packs advertisement open beta.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    if its a SOE product, when have they ever cared if something was finished and ready for prime time ?

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    If it's a F2P game after 2008, when have they ever cared if something was finished and ready for prime time?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Marvel Heroes goes live next Tuesday.

It is Diablo: Superhero Edition.

PA thread. I think it could use a month or so still in closed, but its better off than some games when they go Open Beta (or release, really, since its F2P and they aren't wiping accounts any more).

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Judging from the beta weekend I played the game is very vanilla. Might still be worth running through a few acts to try it out, though.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
This discussion has been closed.