As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Alcohol Exchange Network

• KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I discovered a few years ago that the Hershey bars I bought in Vancouver tasted very different than the ones Stateside. They were...creamier somehow. It made ours seem bitter in comparison.

With ketchup chips, I haven't seen anyplace local to me that carries them.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • smessmes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hersey bars are too sugary for my tastes. I prefer Organic Choclate (http://www.denmanislandchocolate.com/). If you guys honestly want some ketchup chips I'll bring them to sealab.

smes on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm bringing bulk bags of Smarties.
    The good smarties.
    Not that powdery sugary crap you 'Merkins call Smarties.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    I demand to try some of these Canadian Smarties

...please

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    I demand to try some of these Canadian Smarties

I dunno if I'm coming to Sealab, but I could be convinced to pick you up a box or two in exchange for cash or goods of equal value. I could also grab some Denman Island chocolate, which is spanktabulous stuff. I'm staying on Denman Island this week and can probably get some at the market there for less than in Victoria.

What other goodies are better in Canada? And what goodies are better in America?

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
    edited August 2007
    Canadian Smarties are basically M&Ms....with better chocolate and more colors.

KaitouAyashi on
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Trillian wrote: »
    MattyP wrote: »
    Trillian wrote: »
    I'm going to make girly drinks.

Anyone not wishing to burn from every orifice is more than welcome to join me.

I'm totally in. I don't care what anyone says, I hate beer, rye + coke, gin + tonic, and any other similarly strong alcoholic beverages. I don't drink to get drunk/a buzz, I drink for the taste. Too bad I won't be able to bring any with me. :(

(Of course, assuming I do go and you'll allow me to join you. Luckily I'll be of age by the time PAX rolls around...For Canada that is. :wink:)

I'll be 21 ten days after PAX.

I feel your pain :(

I read this and yet when i look at trillians profile it already says she is 21...

Did someone tell her that her that her forum profile is now considered valid ID or what?

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • ChocoholicBut4BoozeChocoholicBut4Booze Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can anyone get their hands on some 20-year Jameson's? That is some good sipping whiskey. If you can I'll pay. I'm staying at the 8th and whatever inn.

ChocoholicBut4Booze on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can anyone get their hands on some 20-year Jameson's? That is some good sipping whiskey. If you can I'll pay. I'm staying at the 8th and whatever inn.

I could try, there are a couple of stores in my area that carry 16 and 20 Jameson's, along with Black Bush. I'm more acclimated to Scotish Whisky, but Irish Whiskey works just as well.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited August 2007

I could try, there are a couple of stores in my area that carry 16 and 20 Jameson's, along with Black Bush. I'm more acclimated to Scotish Whisky, but Irish Whiskey works just as well.

I've been looking for the 20 year forever. I believe their import company stopped bringing the 20 to california. It's so fantastic. Nice sherry notes on the finish.

Oh, for any tequilla drinkers out there, (not Jose, not Patron), I'll probably bring some Aha Torro if anyone wants to try it. I'll be at 8thAveInn.

ChocoholicBut4Booze on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

I've been looking for the 20 year forever. I believe their import company stopped bringing the 20 to california. It's so fantastic. Nice sherry notes on the finish.

I was mistaken, the store I was thinking of carries the 12 year Special Reserve or the 18, not 16 and 20.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    How bad are Washingtons booze taxes? Space is a bit of a premium, not to mention no ability to pre-refrigerate. When I was in Montana I could get a bottle of Night Train for $3.00, so it can't be that much worse in Washington, can it?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited August 2007
    Washington State has a monopoly on their liquor sales, so they are kind of rapage. There's a listing out there of the prices for liquor in the state of washington somewhere on the internet, but I'm not sure where exactly. Anybody know where it is?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2007
    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2007
    If anyone can ballpark it, thats cool. I'm Canadian. Being raped for taxes is like a hobby of mine.

Maybe I'll bring a bottle of cheap scotch and hope it doesn't break.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited August 2007
    Thats cheaper than at home. Can anyone point be towards the closest liquor store?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited August 2007
    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2007

You would not be lording a simple application of common technology over me to underscore the laziness of my request, would you?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited August 2007
    No, just using the common technology to indicate the closest liquor store (which I researched some time ago)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2007
    No, just using the common technology to indicate the closest liquor store (which I researched some time ago)

This is why everyone loves you. You we're totally entitled to make fun of me and you didn't. A god amongst men, you are.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited August 2007
    This board gets a lot of new people, one-time posters and people from other sub-forums. I try to create an environment where all three can interact without too much flaming and negativity going on. It doesn't always work out like that, but I try.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• smessmes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Washington State has a monopoly on their liquor sales, so they are kind of rapage.

Don't feel to bad, they do that in BC and most of Canada.

smes on
    edited August 2007
    This board gets a lot of new people, one-time posters and people from other sub-forums. I try to create an environment where all three can interact without too much flaming and negativity going on. It doesn't always work out like that, but I try.

It is only because you do not feel the wrath of Cardboard Tube like the rest of us mods do.

He makes us do things. Unspeakable things.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited August 2007

Which we very much appreciate. Thank you.

KaitouAyashi on
  • sycholord31sycholord31 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Washington State has a monopoly on their liquor sales, so they are kind of rapage. There's a listing out there of the prices for liquor in the state of washington somewhere on the internet, but I'm not sure where exactly. Anybody know where it is?

Jeepers, what the hell am I going to do. Ive gotten quite used to the fact that I can go to any local store and buy booze. Go to the supermarkets for heaps of choice.

Whats good... especially for the locals, is that Soju the main alcohol here in Korea is 1000W/bottle = US$1. 5 bottles is quite a heroic undertaking for one person (usually death or a state close to that the next morning).

The other thing thats good is that many of the bars are open pretty much all night long, and its great sitting at the local FamilyMart outside at a beach table drinking beer or whatnot on the street.

sycholord31 on
    edited August 2007
    Hey, just a reminder to people. When exchanging and sampling each other's alcohol, make sure to keep it out of the convention center. A lot of new people may not be aware, but PAX has a no alcohol policy, so make sure you keep the good stuff in the hotel rooms.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2007
    We can still be intoxicated there though right? as long as we did the drinking some place else? cause i have found that i do my best gaming after about 2 pitchers of beer and last through the 3rd but when i hit 4 pitchers my game starts to go down the hole >.>

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Colonel Hap HappablapColonel Hap Happablap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was reading earlier about the absinthe, and there is actually a legal brand that is being sold in the states.

www.drinklucid.com

I'm very intrigued by it, but it's around $55 a bottle. Some of the drink recipes that they have on the website are very interesting. Absinthe and Red Bull? I'm in!

Colonel Hap Happablap on
  • MellzahMellzah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Samyel wrote: »
    I'm not too keen on the idea of bringing heavy bottles of liquor on my trip across the border, but I'm willing to bring other items of Canadian cuisine. Anyone jonesing for maple syrup candies or all-dressed chips?

Coffee crisp!

Mellzah on
    edited August 2007
    I'm retarded. I was thinking of the 18 Jameson. If you wanna pick that up I'll trade you bottles of whatever you want or I'll just give you cash. If that's something you'd be interested in let me know.

And to everyone who loves real Tequilla I'm bringing a bottle of Aha Torro if I can find some.

ChocoholicBut4Booze on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    I'm retarded. I was thinking of the 18 Jameson. If you wanna pick that up I'll trade you bottles of whatever you want or I'll just give you cash. If that's something you'd be interested in let me know.

And to everyone who loves real Tequilla I'm bringing a bottle of Aha Torro if I can find some.

I'll see what I can do, I'm pretty booked tomorrow and might not have enough time to run by the liquor store again. Right now I've got a bottle of Macallan 12 and an Isle of Jura 16 year old, packed and ready for the trip.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, just a reminder to people. When exchanging and sampling each other's alcohol, make sure to keep it out of the convention center. A lot of new people may not be aware, but PAX has a no alcohol policy, so make sure you keep the good stuff in the hotel rooms.

All liquor found in the Convention Center will be confiscated by the Enforcers. Chances are you'll never see it again, because someone will consume it on your behalf.

b0wser on
  • sycholord31sycholord31 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have 1 bottle of Soju, I can get a second one tomorrow before my flight if anyone is interested? and then there is Duty Free WOOT! 8-)

sycholord31 on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have 1 bottle of Soju, I can get a second one tomorrow before my flight if anyone is interested? and then there is Duty Free WOOT! 8-)

I'm assuming my requests are not forgotten... you will be rewarded...

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited August 2007

I'll see what I can do, I'm pretty booked tomorrow and might not have enough time to run by the liquor store again. Right now I've got a bottle of Macallan 12 and an Isle of Jura 16 year old, packed and ready for the trip.

ABORT! ABORT!

I found a bottle and picked it up. Thanks though. If you don't read this in time I'll still buy the bottle from you. I also picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's looking like a Whiskey Weekend Extravaganza!!!! Oh and about 60 beers.

ChocoholicBut4Booze on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    ABORT! ABORT!

I found a bottle and picked it up. Thanks though. If you don't read this in time I'll still buy the bottle from you. I also picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's looking like a Whiskey Weekend Extravaganza!!!! Oh and about 60 beers.

That works out fine, I wasn't able to make it to the store to see if they still had it. But I concur with the second to last sentence, you've got Irish and Bourbon, I've got Scotch, and god knows what else we'll find at the Party at Sealab Party and just around the hotels. It shall be a drinking weekend of epic proportions.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited August 2007
    Ive only been EPICLY drunk once and to be honest i dont recall anything after the first 20 mins...

Suposedly there is video footage of me hugging a BMW tire claiming it was the only thing that made the world stop spinning though...

ima sticp with shitfaced or maybe an almost epic drunkeness i think...

Edit: i may have been epicly drunk and fallen over a great manny times but i mannaged not to dial drunk... let that be a lesson to all of you...

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
    edited August 2007
    ABORT! ABORT!

That works out fine, I wasn't able to make it to the store to see if they still had it. But I concur with the second to last sentence, you've got Irish and Bourbon, I've got Scotch, and god knows what else we'll find at the Party at Sealab Party and just around the hotels. It shall be a drinking weekend of epic proportions.

I think my liver is gonna look like a McNugget by Sunday. My friend is supposed to be bringing Sweet and Sour mix and I'm gonna pick up some ginger-ale. Not for the good stuff though. Lord help whoever suggest putting 18 Jameson in coke...

Oh, I even picked up a couple cheap snifters for the good stuff.

ChocoholicBut4Booze on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone up for some sweetwater? only the best thing to come out of georgia, since yours truely.

Jokerman on
    edited November 2007
    This thread is for PAX 2007. Start looking for stuff about PAX 2008 somewhere around February of next year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.