As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[A Doomed Pilgrim in the Sundered Lands] Help violently kill weirdspaceships!

2»

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    You see a large man, at least 15 feet tall, with two sets of arms. He's throwing rocks into the water.

• Options
    weirdspaceshipsweirdspaceships i will eat your still-beating heart Registered User regular
    Not what I wanted! Some form of giant.

The desert surrounding the oasis provides little cover to sneak off into. Better make this one diplomatic.

I speak a greeting of my people. I salute. "Perhaps you can point me the way towards the edge of the desert? I'm going to the City of Gulls."

How does he react?

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    The giant looks directly at you and stares for a moment, seeming to mull over your question. Then a disconcerting smile splits his craggy face.
    "You defeat me in a challenge, and I will show you the way," he says, crossing his second set of arms.
    "If I win," he continues, gesturing expansively with his (upper) left hand, "you find your own way."
    He finishes, "Refuse and I will be insulted. You wouldn't like me when I'm insulted."

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    weirdspaceshipsweirdspaceships i will eat your still-beating heart Registered User regular
    My mouth goes dry. I am a pilgrim, not a champion.

"What... what is the challenge?"

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    "You are on a pilgrimage to the Temple to No Gods, surely? The feeble seem to migrate there this time of the year, and there's no other reason to journey across the sands to Gull City."

The giant moves to stand directly over you.

"The challenge should be simple enough for you, then; prove that there are no Gods to watch over us. That none hear us pray at night."

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I think for a good long moment, then I remove from my pouch a torn scrap of fabric. What used to be a hat.

I approach, holding it up with stained hands.

"This? It belonged to my companion, Markas. He started the journey with me. Now he is dead."

I hold it up to the sun.

"Yet, in the far end of the desert, he still walks. A giant slash across his throat. But he still talks. These spots on my hands? His strange wine. What landed me near here in the first place."

A wind blows through, rare, and I close my eyes to savor it.

"What gods allow that to happen? Those who kept people safe long ago are gone. Only the stars hear our prayers now."

Does the giant seem moved?

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Does the giant seem moved?

Well, he does move, in a way. As you offer your words on the matter, the giant seems to twist & distort in the desert wind.

"That people die and and that the dead walk? This is the knowledge that should impress me?"

In a sudden gust, both the giant and the oasis itself vanish - blown into fine particles of sand.

"Continue your pilgrimage in solitude, feeble. You have a long & treacherous journey ahead."

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    And with that, the entirety of the desert lies before me. Markas, back, haunting the desert. Or maybe just me.

The spires themselves seem restless, and, tall and black, they sing in the forever-sands.

I drink deep the water I have, and make my way towards the edge of forever.

The End!
    Via the game's rules, I've made it free! Thank you to everyone who tried to kill me.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    This was cool, thanks for running it!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    I didn't forget that the goal was to kill you. I tried pretty hard in my one answer!

Thanks for doing this, weirdspaceships; it was a fun read. Please continue bringing us neat stuff!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Kept trying to write you into a bad situation for someone else to exploit, but alas, no such luck.

This was a neat little diversion!

• Options
    We'll get you next time, Gadget!

Next tiiiiiiiiiiiime!

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, what conditions did we fulfill that ended the game?

• Options
    My job was to get into danger, then get out again. That ends it as a victory for me. I could have done that after I got away from Markas, but I was curious about this giant business, and I can keep going until whenever, but technically, one danger escaped will do it.

You guys would win, of course, should I not be able to escape.