As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DKC Tropical Freeze: The sound of a thousand balloons popping.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Maz- wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Graphics? Do people really still give a shit about how a game looks? Geese everywhere....

Edit: And the insta-awesome from Geth? Bonus!

Unless DK's arm hair was perfectly rendered with the help of mo-cap monkeys, the graphics are teh suckzor.

Yeah, no

You don't have to be all about high-tech to know when something just doesn't look that good

The Wii game, reminder, a Wii game from 2010 looks a lot sharper than this, and yeah, that's kind of a shame

A lot of it is due to the low-res screen combined with the general busy nature of the visuals. There's simply a lot going in this game, especially in the background.

Example: Super Mario 3D Land, now that is a fine-looking game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I just don't get all the fuss. The game looks fine and plays great. Plus it's fun. Why does it have to be a thing?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I want to roll with the push of a button. That's why I ordered this on Friday.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I heard the FPS drop kind of affects the gameplay to some degree, like the movement or something. One stage where you had to move between two big rolling wheels that are really close together drove me nuts... I'm wondering if higher FPS would have helped.

Definitely enjoying this more than the Wii version, though, thanks to the buttons. The roll is more reliable, but not quite reliable enough here, as I found out last night when I needed to do a rolling jump to get past a certain part. And I've gotten a lot further, though that may also be due in part to the New Mode.

This game is frickin' tough, and not at all what I'd call relaxing. Fun, though, for the most part, but just very, very intense. At best, beating levels feels like an accomplishment; at worst, it feels less like you accomplished anything more than enduring and surviving.

I'm a couple of levels into the Factory world, though, and really enjoying that. Strangely, even with all the smog, I could follow what was going on in the background more easily than in other levels, where it gets just a bit tiny for my liking.

Graphically, I do love it, and it feels almost like this game was made for the Nintendo 3DS. Unfortunately, I have problems with having the 3D up very high for very long, probably due to the intensity causing me to move the device more frantically and losing that 3D "sweet spot," so I have to keep it lower most of the time, if it's on at all.

The level designs and idea are incredible, though, and again, really feel like they take better advantage of the Nintendo 3DS. More of this is what I wanted in New Super Mario Bros. 2, and did not get.
    I do hate that spider level with a passion, though. You know the one-- So. Many. SPIDERS.

Sometimes it feels a little cheap, though. Much of it is them springing a trap you don't know on you, and expecting you to remember it the next time. And what's cool there is when you have enough lives to do that-- it's a neat balance, as they keep feeding you lives and allowing you to buy more, and giving you plenty of chances to lose them. I think people would be less hard on Mario if they balanced it that way, though I suppose it works out as such for less-experienced gamers. What I hate, though, is playing a significant chunk of stage and then being blindsided by some new thing, then having to replay to get there again because there wasn't a checkpoint nearby.

Another bit I thought was cheap came when fighting a boss and trying to attack its weakspot, only to still be damaged by its horn in the process because of its flailing.

2-player doesn't do much for me; DK and Diddy apart just don't seem as effective as the two together, though having access to Diddy's peanut pop-gun is nice. Shame you can't use it at all in single player.

Controls are interesting. Honestly, it doesn't feel like a DKC game to me in that regard. Literally everything but pressing jump is different, and more complicated. You can't customize controls to your liking, and I wound up going with the Circle Pad because I liked the layout better, though I might have preferred moving with the Dpad.

Mind, I'm not saying the controls are bad, but the original trilogy was very, very simple by comparison, and I think that might be one shortcoming of the game. Simply put, you might as well throw out your knowledge of the original trilogy when picking up the controller here, because literally nothing works the same way except "Press B to Jump." I can see that being a turn-off to some people who liked the original.
    Cantido wrote: »
    I want to roll with the push of a button. That's why I ordered this on Friday.

That's sort of an example right there: You don't roll with the push of a button, you roll with the push of two buttons.

Overall, I'm having a good time (when I'm not being driven to curse so much that I upset the cat), and definitely prefer this to the Wii version.

By the way, I've not been making a complete run to get everything, just playing through the levels. Is there a difference between getting the key from Cranky and getting all the KONG letters? "1-K" kind of sounds like it could be either. Is there a particular benefit to playing all the key stages?

And one last thing: What's with this "Donkey Long" and "Lunge's Mansion" thing? I think I missed where that became a thing. ;P

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So anyone care to admit that they're playing on New Mode?

Original or bust as far as I'm concerned.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

I am. No shame for me.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    You're wrong. There is indeed a lot of shame in that.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Wait, what's wrong with New Mode?

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Adda wrote: »

Playing it means you are not teh hardcorez.

• Options

This is descriptive ;-)

I thought it just added items that you don't necessarily have to use?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    This game is hard enough on new mode thank you very much.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

This is descriptive ;-)

Yeah, that plus Donkey and Diddy have additional hearts.

• Options

This is descriptive ;-)

You get extra hearts. (3 with DK, 6 when you have Diddy versus 2 and 4 respectively.)

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh yeah, hadn't noticed that. Oh well too old to bust my balls even more and I've only just finished the first world.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Up to world 3 in original mode. So far nothing's been mind-bendingly hard, although I didn't play the K levels in worlds 1 and 2. Quite a few levels have been absolutely incredible from a design standpoint. I'll get to the end of a level and think, damn, that shit was fun. It is tons of fun and it looks absolutely incredible. I think finishing Lunge's might have to wait till I finish this game, cause I can't put it down.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    double post -_-

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    1-K is awfully brutal, especially that early in the game. The only good thing about it is that can absolutely clean up on bananas coins if you're somewhat competent; by the time I finally got to the end, I think I had banked at least a couple hundred banana coins.

2-K and 3-K are difficult, but not unfair. 4-K can go die in a fire.

Other than 1-K, I didn't struggle much in the first three worlds, but I've spent the last two days banging my head against the wall trying to clear world 4. I finally did it, but I entered the world with over 80 lives and left with about 50. And I think I bought about 30 balloons along the way, along with all the lives I collected along the way.

• Options
    Alright, the O in 3-2 is pissing me off. If you miss the high jump on that fucking bird with stilts, there is seemingly no way to reach the letter without restarting the level. I've tried dozens of times and I always miss that damn high jump. Ffffffffffffffffffff

I have gotten pretty darn fast at the first third of the level though.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    1-K is awfully brutal, especially that early in the game. The only good thing about it is that can absolutely clean up on bananas coins if you're somewhat competent; by the time I finally got to the end, I think I had banked at least a couple hundred banana coins.

2-K and 3-K are difficult, but not unfair. 4-K can go die in a fire.

Other than 1-K, I didn't struggle much in the first three worlds, but I've spent the last two days banging my head against the wall trying to clear world 4. I finally did it, but I entered the world with over 80 lives and left with about 50. And I think I bought about 30 balloons along the way, along with all the lives I collected along the way.

The silly thing about 1-K is that it's super easy to generate extra lives by jumping on the Tikis. Five bounces lands you a life and there's a point where you can get six bounces.

Of course, I gave up anyways but it's good to know anyways.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    1-K demands precision bouncing. Once you've got that down, it's not so bad.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I just beat 1-K and that was absolutely ridiculous. It demands perfection and it cost me probably fifty lives. I did nab like, 200 banana coins though.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm on 2-K now. Whooo....this is platforming goodness. I've also noticed some oddness with the 3D effect. I don't know if it's the game or the XL, but I find the sweet spot then lose it not long after. Haven't had this problem in other games, but I don't often play with it on either.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

I am. No shame for me.

Same, and thought I admit to it, but yeah. I'm having to review it, and given the time I had with the Wii game, it seemed the optimum choice.

That, and I curse enough at the game in New Mode as it is. I don't want to give my cat a complex (or get my wife any more upset at me). If not for my temper, I might go for original mode, but there's more to lose than to gain for me there.

I used to be "hardcore" by some definition of the word, but I had to let it pass. To my credit, I've not used Super Kong once, or any items. The only benefit I've really reaped is the extra heart, and that doesn't make things easier so much as allowing you to endure a little more punishment-- there's enough instant kill stuff to negate that benefit, anyway.
    This game is hard enough on new mode thank you very much.

No joke. I had an easier time with pretty much any Mario game... including The Lost Levels.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Yeah I'm totally not ashamed or upset at choosing New Mode. I honestly don't have the time and 2d platforming skills like I did back when I was a kid.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    And one last thing: What's with this "Donkey Long" and "Lunge's Mansion" thing? I think I missed where that became a thing. ;P

Not understanding this makes me feel like a 3 yard elf pc.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »

Not understanding this makes me feel like a 3 yard elf pc.

Someone made a typo for the games in the 3DS thread and people won't forget it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm on 2-K now. Whooo....this is platforming goodness. I've also noticed some oddness with the 3D effect. I don't know if it's the game or the XL, but I find the sweet spot then lose it not long after. Haven't had this problem in other games, but I don't often play with it on either.

I have the exact same problem. I have to turn off the 3D most of the time because constantly losing the focus is too distracting. I don't have this problem with other 3DS games.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Finished 2-K with all the puzzle pieces. I'm noticing the only way I get them all is through mutliple lives. Sacrificing a Kong to get a piece so I don't have to worry about it next run through. I'm imagining how frustrating this game would be if they didn't stay captured in your inventory....*shudder*

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I've been trying to beat Platform Panic all weekend. I've probably died like 100 times, I always fuck up somewhere 15-20 seconds before the end. Driving me insane, but at least I've gotten like 7-800 coins and am capped on lives now.

The high bounce mechanic always feels really hard to time correctly, and it just kills me over and over in the last section of the level for one reason or another.

Edit: Also, meh on the graphics looking bad. I think they look fine for a 3DS game, and expecting a 3DS remake of a wii game to look better is just not reasonable.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Nah, many of the puzzle pieces are fucking hard to find. The KONG letters are pretty much always fairly obvious though.

But that's what sqawks is for!

What are you, some kind of casual? :P

Also, the graphics are amazing. Among the best on the 3DS.

A level gets one, maybe two playthroughs from me to reveal its secrets. After that, the hell with it, Squawks it is.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or is DK's hurtbox just too big? Like, with his arms moving and flailing about whenever you jump or move, I get hit by enemies all the time when I should be landing next to them. His model is just so wide, and his arms twitch about too much when you do almost anything. That's what's making the game difficult to play or enjoy. I'm fine at the actual platforming, I lose all my lives by bumping into enemies when Mario or Mega Man would cleanly miss them.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I know what you mean; I was stomping one boss's weak spot, and his flailing horn seemed to get me. Had the problem with going between those rolling wheels, and even just landing near enemies just as you say, too.

On another note: Holy crap, I love the Factory world. Best world in the entire game from start to finish, save maybe the rocket barrel part. Not too hard, not too easy, rather intense the whole way through, lots of great atmosphere and objectives, one or two stages had the Kremcroc Industries music (probably could have used it more), some neat nods and touches as throwbacks to earlier games... it's a shame it came so late in the game, because that world is simply bliss. I can only hope they maintained that kind of quality for the last world...

• Options
    The last world is (surprise!) pretty brutal :P

• Options
    World 2 complete. All KONG and puzzle pieces accounted for. Hope I can finish this game up before Project X-Zone comes out at the end of the month.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Finally beat platform panic. That took like 5 days of on and off play. I don't think I'm going to try any more kong levels...

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Finally beat platform panic. That took like 5 days of on and off play. I don't think I'm going to try any more kong levels...

The next one isn't so bad once you get the puzzle pieces out of the way.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    On every world so far I have been buying a key to get access to the level locked behind the chain. Do I have to do that or do they open up naturally later? Also, I wish the hidden areas were a little harder to find. One of my favorite parts of the original Donkey Kong Country was throwing barrels at every wall I could to try and find those secret bits.

nicopernicus on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Knight_ wrote: »

The difficulty of the K-levels is all over the place and doesn't necessarily correlate with each respective world. 5-K for example is among the hardest whereas I found 7-K to be the easiest. Well, "easy", it's still harder than 95% of the regular levels.
    On every world so far I have been buying a key to get access to the level locked behind the chain. Do I have to do that or do they open up naturally later. Also, I wish the hidden areas were a little harder to find. One of my favorite parts of the original Donkey Kong Country was throwing barrels at every wall I could to try and find those secret bits.

I..actually don't know since I've always bought the key as soon as I got access to Cranky's shop. I'm pretty sure though that that is the only way to access those levels.

Maz- on
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I absolutely hate the little continue pig. I feel like he is constantly mocking me. Oh gee... as if I couldn't already tell that I sucked at this game from the sheer number of times that the spiders have eaten me. Thanks pig. Your super kong will sure help me get all the kong letters. :)

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Alright, just finished up the game last night. Took roughly 11 and a half hours according to Activity Log. 72%

Gonna work on the puzzle pieces and unlocking World 9 next.
    I absolutely hate the little continue pig. I feel like he is constantly mocking me. Oh gee... as if I couldn't already tell that I sucked at this game from the sheer number of times that the spiders have eaten me. Thanks pig. Your super kong will sure help me get all the kong letters. :)

You actually used the Super Guide? For shame.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png