As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Real [E3] Thread (Check OP For Streams)

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited June 2013 in Games and Technology
Thread has evolved! Check the link below for live stream links and times!

http://www.e3countdown.com/

IRC Channel Link

http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.slashnet.org&channel=#pa_e3keynote

Feel free to discuss your own predictions for the conferences, what you personally hope will happen, what you think actually will happen, etc. You can use facts to back up your predictions or just simply list your wishes on announcements that have a small-to-zero chance of even existing.

I'll kick things off:

Sony: Regardless of which side you support during this new generation of system wars, there's little argument that currently Sony looks the most favorable among gamers right now. They kicked things off right with their PS4 announcement, offering a smart presentation that was virtually BS-free, as well as outlining their focus in very favorable areas (core gamers, Indie devs, easier development tools).

No two ways about it, Sony's got the most ammo to fire off this presentation: we've got a nice farewell send-off for the PS3 with Beyond: Two Souls and Gran Turismo 6, a possible revitalization for the Vita with some appealing new titles, PS4-connectivity features and maybe a price drop, and undoubtedly some new games and features to show off with the PS4, as well as a release date and possible price. If they also manage to show one or both of their long-delayed but still-hyped games (The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus XIII) under new PS4 tech, then they will really cause a stir with gamers around the world.

Basically, Sony would have to try really hard to mess up their conference.

Microsoft:
Following the arguably disastrous and undeniably boring reveal of the Xbox One, there's been a lot of insistence from fans and MS employees alike that their E3 presentation will be entirely, 100% focused on games.

I don't believe that for one second. If you're really expecting them to not tout their TV features, exclusive ESPN partnership or Kinect+Dashboard functionality, I truly feel sorry for you.

The good news is that their conference should be mostly focused on games, but as for which titles will take up the bulk of the conference, well....I fully expect a lengthy "played" demo of Call of Duty: Ghosts, as has been their tradition for some time now. I also expect something similar for Batman: Arkham Origins.

The real question is how many new and exclusive Xbox 1 games will make an appearance during the conference. I honestly can't say for certain. I can only hope they have something new to show that isn't a third party game or an upscaled "Xbox 360.5" title.

Nintendo: The good news with their online presentation is that we'll be spared the embarrassing moments of filler such as a plastic instrument band or Wii Fit stage demonstration. The bad news is that we won't have hilarious moments of filler such as a plastic instrument band or Wii Fit stage demonstration.

I expect this year to be Nintendo's most "predictable" presentation...but also one of their best. We pretty much know what they're going to show: a new Mario, a new Smash Bros, Wind Waker HD, perhaps a tease for Zelda Wii U, and perhaps some 3DS games (come ooooon, Punch-Out 3D and Super Metroid 2!).

All of it is going to look great and will no doubt be bought by everyone come launch day....but those are all things we saw coming. I highly doubt we'll get any big surprises along the lines of Twilight Princess (back when it was a Gamecube game) or Metroid: Other M (which floored everyone until we actually played it), and third party reveals seem even rarer. We might get a Zombi U 2 reveal, which should be neat, but again....no big surprises.

Sad to say, the one thing I'm probably most excited about is a Wii U price drop, which then leads to a new Ambassador program for early adopters. I want some digital Wii and Gamecube games, darn it.

Square Enix: I really couldn't stress enough how profoundly disappointed I've been with Square this gen, at least from their Japanese side of games. That goes especially for Final Fantasy, which was once an RPG series that made everyone stop and take notice whenever a new game was announced. These days, a new FF game results in everyone pointing and laughing.

They've been spending a considerable amount of time hyping up E3, almost making you believe they have something worthwhile to show. The company has also been undergoing a corporate makeover, with new policies that sound appealing in paper ("shorter development times, more community focus in shaping their games") and others....not so much ("more smartphone games, more money spent on advertising").

Let's be honest here: even if Lightning Returns and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn end up as legitimately great games (the latter has a good chance, the former...), no one is really going to care about either during E3. Square must be aware of this, and simply must have something more substantial to show at E3. We know they've got a "new FF announcement" planned...they had the balls to take up time in the PS4 conference to illustrate that point while also being the only company to not have something new to show.

There's been a ton of rumors pointing to that game being Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which has now been re-branded Final Fantasy XV and is now a PS4 game. Personally, I would be satisfied with that confirmation, even though many jaded people will immediately compare it to DNF. That said, I really am hoping they've got even more to show off besides that. More than anything I want to get a sense that they have finally learned from their years of embarrassments and have taken the first steps to restore some faith with the next generation.

Konami: They might as well call themselves "Metal Gear Production Company", because whatever they've got to show will undoubtedly be 99% MGSV focused. That said, I'm still holding on to hope that with they will utilize the allegedly versatile FOX Engine to bring back some of their long-dormant franchises, as well as hopefully finding a developer that actually knows how to make a proper Silent Hill game.

Atlus: Persona 5. Persona 5. Persona 5. Persona 5. Persona 5.

That's about everything I'm hoping for. Let's hear your own predictions.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I could see Sonys seeming underwhelming because they have to show more of Knack, of Drive Club, of Second Son and Killzone, stuff we already know about. If MS really manage to pull off game after game after game and potentially some EA exclusives, it could set the bar too high simply because a lot of stuff won't be new-new.

Of course, the phrase "... with the power of Kinect..." could render that argument moot.

I also want to know more about the next Pro Evolution Soccer. They started saying "it's running on the FOX engine!" and then it became "it's running on a version of the FOX engine" and slowly I'm seeing the old PES creeping in when they really, really, really need a clean break.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I agree, Sony's could be a rehash of a lot we already know about, plus some of the TV features that they haven't mentioned yet, and some further explanation of the share button and what that does.

I think the OP is a little biased against Microsoft, I would completely deny that the reveal was boring, it was an hour long and told me lots of things I'm interested in and excited about, I do however get that it wasn't for everyone and if you're not going to use a lot of the features they were touting you could be disinterested. I just don't think it's a good move to pretty much write them off in the OP. They've made this commitment of 15 exclusives in the first year, I'd be surprised if we didn't see most (if not all) of them, and there's rumours that Rare has something big to share...

Nintendo are confirmed not to have a presentation aren't they? They are going to do something spectacular though I think, Nintendo Direct has been a big success and I can imagine them doing something like putting a mario kart demo out on the Wii U and 3DS during E3 and simply showing a trailer reel through Nintendo Direct of new Mario, new Mario Kart, new Smash Bros, New Zelda, Pikmin and whatever else they have up their sleeves.

I'm hoping for Ubisoft again. Watchdogs blew me away and I can't wait to see what they can show of their upcoming games.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This is probably the first E3 in a long time that's going to matter.

Ubisoft is probably going to have another shtick-driven conference. That is going to be a pain to watch through. They're going to talk up their strategy of having 2000 staff members working on all their games simultaneously while showing things off.

Konami is going to pre-record again, and we're not going to get much new info about any Metal Gear or Castlevania stuff going on. They're just going to tease during an event meant for showcasing, which has kinda been their thing to do for the last couple years from what I remember.

Electronic Arts is going to be the most embarrassing to watch. They're probably going to have Microsoft folks show up on stage to go, "WOO UNPRECEDENTED PARTNERSHIP!" It's pretty much going to be some games, but they're going to use them to justify the bad business crap we've been exposed to recently. Also Sims 4, or 5, whichever we're at.

Microsoft is gonna go one of two ways; show video games to try and win people over, or re-iterate their reveal and try to assure the upset response with a lot of smooth talking that will still leave things open. I don't expect them to have a launch price nor launch date, not until Sony does it.

Sony will probably be the best presentation. But we have been wrong before. I'm hoping they don't blow it, they're on top of the world by not playing into the bad business going on by competitors. If they announce a low price people will be stoked.

Nintendo is going to make people here on this forum happy, or people on the internet in general, but the general media basically isn't going to have much info or reporting to do since Nintendo made the bizarre decision to not have a keynote.

Activision is the wild card to watch for. Are they going to pick a 'side' to support strongest, or maintain neutrality in the pathetic console war? STAY TUNED!

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    I agree, Sony's could be a rehash of a lot we already know about, plus some of the TV features that they haven't mentioned yet, and some further explanation of the share button and what that does.

I think the OP is a little biased against Microsoft, I would completely deny that the reveal was boring, it was an hour long and told me lots of things I'm interested in and excited about, I do however get that it wasn't for everyone and if you're not going to use a lot of the features they were touting you could be disinterested. I just don't think it's a good move to pretty much write them off in the OP. They've made this commitment of 15 exclusives in the first year, I'd be surprised if we didn't see most (if not all) of them, and there's rumours that Rare has something big to share...

Nintendo are confirmed not to have a presentation aren't they? They are going to do something spectacular though I think, Nintendo Direct has been a big success and I can imagine them doing something like putting a mario kart demo out on the Wii U and 3DS during E3 and simply showing a trailer reel through Nintendo Direct of new Mario, new Mario Kart, new Smash Bros, New Zelda, Pikmin and whatever else they have up their sleeves.

I'm hoping for Ubisoft again. Watchdogs blew me away and I can't wait to see what they can show of their upcoming games.

Microsoft talked a lot during that one hour but they said very, very little. If they'd wanted to, they could've squeezed all that talk into 10 minutes but they didn't and we received 90% buzzwords and bullshit ("90 bazillion transistors!" as if that means a thing).

Anyway, Henroid's predictions are pretty much what I'm expecting, though I've already got an answer for his Activision question: They'll keep themselves out of the dick measuring competition and will only step in if swayed by the highest bidder. It's why they signed the timed exclusive CoD DLC deal with Microsoft years ago and undoubtedly why Diablo 3 and exclusive Destiny DLC are coming to PS4.

My only real prediction is that if Sony and Microsoft bother with price announcements, the PS4 will be cheaper than the XBO.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    My only real predictions are that if Sony announces anything for the Vita, Uncharted: Golden Abyss 2 and/or God of War Vita will be among them. I'd be happy with the former, but worried about the latter given how dire Ascension was. But GoWV is happening -sometime- unless they pulled the plug on it behind the scenes and it seems like kind of a big enough deal on branding, if not reality.

Personally, I'd much prefer an inFamous Vita title, maybe something that works with Second Son, but it's probably a long-shot unfortunately.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that VALVe is going to have a presentation, to announce more support for Linux (SteamPipe no longer in Beta), and possibly further their connection with Sony and/or MS with Steam.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Nintendo is going to drop bombs. Bombs people are expecting, but bombs none the less. They have to hit hard for this holiday and I think they are ready.

Microsoft: I don't really know what to expect, except a lot of talk about the living room being the center of entertainment. All I want them to do is announce Killer Instinct 3. If they can manage to do that, they will have my attention.

Sony: I'm very interested in the indie developer stuff, but I don't know if we will see much of that, so i'll just be happy with some awesome games. Unless Square announces a FF7 HD Remaster to pull their asses out of financial trouble.... which won't ever happen, I'm gonna pretty much just expecting the normal with some nice details on the new features of the PS4.

I don't try and get my hopes up too high because it is E3 after all. Last year all I wanted was the Animal Crossing announcement and I had to wait forever to find out I had to wait forever + 1.

The games I want to see that we won't see at E3 are:

Killer Instinct 3
    Black & White 3
    Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
    Half-Life 3

I think.... there is a theme here.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Sony: The potential for a next gen system with Naughty Dog, more robust indie support, and less awful DRM shenanigans puts the PS4 miles ahead of the Xbone to me, but part of me wonders if I really need a next gen console at all, what with Steam's big picture mode and their likely avoidance of digital prices competitive with Steam sales. I want Microsoft or Sony to convince me otherwise, but nothing short of a gamut of amazing, interesting exclusives that stand head and shoulders about current tech can do that. I'm expecting a respectable showing of a few interesting exclusives, but nothing that really wows us and demands we get one of these consoles day one. Also, I bet they announce one big-ticket Vita game that looks cool but continues to be insufficient to lift the well designed but software barren handheld. Two PS4 SKUs, one $399 vanilla, one $499 with a bigger hard drive, PS Plus membership for a while, and that camera thing people will continue to not care at all about. Less restrictive DRM than the Xbone confirmed in general, but they will give publishers the option to go full on always online and such for individual games.

Microsoft:I'm expecting some big exclusive FPS games, Halo 5 teaser, Perfect Dark Zero, and Respawn timed exclusive deal. Xbox Live Gold will continue to be a bewildering "why would you pay for that" thing that continues to have great success, and the gaming press either won't ask about the Kinect advertising metrics it collects or they will be coy about it. Not going to lie, I'm not a fan of the way Microsoft has been doing business with the 360, and I expect them to double down on the shittiness, with great financial success in the long run.

Nintendo: This is really make it or break it time for the Wii U, and I'm really hoping they wow us all. Realistically, I'm expecting really uncreative and exactly-what-you-would-expect versions of Mario Kart and SSB that excite the Nintendo diehards and absolutely no one else, and maybe some Wii ___ minigame/fitness thingymagig, but with a 3D Mario that blows everything else ever out of the water and forces me to get a Wii U pretty much just for it and classics at some point. I'm really hopeful they nail HD Windwaker too, it's one of the greats. Not expecting too many surprises, but to make things interesting I'll guess a $50 price drop for the Wii U and a full console Pokemon RPG for the Wii U, but only a teaser for now until after the 3DS one is out. It's waaaay past time Nintendo made one.

EA: I'm expecting Mirror's Edge 2 and Dragon Age 3 to be shown and look staggeringly awesome on the surface, but be packaged with untenable DRM/DLC/Dead Space 3 style freemium-but-not-free-in-the-first-place bullshit. I'm going to throw out a guess that we'll see a suprise iOS revival of one of Bioware's older franchises.

Ubisoft: I think they've already shown their most interesting hands with Watch Dogs and ACIV, but hey they look cool so whatever. Expect more Splinter Cell footage and generic-but-next-gen-prettified Tom Clancy war stuff. I'd love few things more than to see "Beyond Good and Evil 2, next gen launch title bitches" but am not holding my breath. Expect another big Assassin's Creed iOS push to get a few last bucks from the franchise before it's done.

Square: Will continue to make the blindingly awful decision to dump more money and advertising resources into FFXIV, the MMO we've all already written off. I'm expecting a Tomb Raider 2 teaser, but it's way too early in development to see anything from it. Given their most recent track record on the development side, an announcement of FFXII HD for PS3/Xbox/Vita would be the best bet for actual quality announcements from the JRPG-side of Square. I'm expecting an interesting new IP announcement that looks visually fantastic but ultimately falls flat on its face in the writing and world building side. They'll finally give in to their fan's demand and go ahead with an FF7 remake, but for 3DS to keep costs down.

Bethesda: Doom 4 trailer that looks insanely fun, Fallout 4 teaser but no date or anything terribly concrete.

Atlus: Persona 5 hell yes, and while I don't expect to see it I'd love to see a "Persona 4 Platinum" for the PS3-they've developed a ton of positive mind share with P4Golden, but honestly who has a Vita?

Konami: Tons of cool MGSV information, and another Silent Hill that looks like it will miss the mark, unfortunately.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I bet that Nintendo will finally unveil an account system, but still keep 3DS and Wii/Wii U VC purchases separate.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Actually, now that I think about it, there have been a lot of rumors floating around about Squeenix prodding at the Legacy of Kain series.

I would love love love an actual revival of that so much.

I'm expecting an announcement of Blood Omen 1 and/or Soul Reaver 1 getting ported to phones and tablets or something as another "how would that even fucking work" thing. (The former would be a lot easier, but still awful)

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    EA: I'm expecting Mirror's Edge 2 and Dragon Age 3 to be shown and look staggeringly awesome on the surface, but be packaged with untenable DRM/DLC/Dead Space 3 style freemium-but-not-free-in-the-first-place bullshit.
    Also, if these do get announced, they'll "have to" be Origin-exclusive.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    EA: I'm expecting Mirror's Edge 2 and Dragon Age 3 to be shown and look staggeringly awesome on the surface, but be packaged with untenable DRM/DLC/Dead Space 3 style freemium-but-not-free-in-the-first-place bullshit.
    Also, if these do get announced, they'll "have to" be Origin-exclusive.

Yeah, EA is really into the walled-garden business approach and they clearly aren't backing down from it. But it's their loss in every which way, it's a shit strategy for the long-term.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I predict that we will be shown a re-modelled version of the Xbox One with at least two butts.

I also predict something big from Valve, hopefully some more details about the Steambox / "Piston", and maybe something about Half-Life if we're really lucky.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I predict that we will be shown a re-modelled version of the Xbox One with at least two butts.

I also predict something big from Valve, hopefully some more details about the Steambox / "Piston", and maybe something about Half-Life if we're really lucky.
    Valve is a tough one to pin down. I feel like they haven't released anything big in a long time, but I guess they've been working lots of small stuff like CS:GO, DOTA 2, and crazy Steam improvements; that has to take up a decent amount of resources I guess, but man...here's hoping for Half Life 3/new story-focused IP from them soon.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Atlus: Persona 5 hell yes, and while I don't expect to see it I'd love to see a "Persona 4 Platinum" for the PS3-they've developed a ton of positive mind share with P4Golden, but honestly who has a Vita?

I'm hoping for Persona 5 for PS3, or maybe PS4. I'd wager PS3 with how Persona 4 worked out.

I own Persona 4 Golden and Arena but if they did re-release it again for PS3 I'd probably pick it up (because Persona is a weakness). I could see a bundle of Persona 4 Golden (up-scaled and added stuff for PS3) and Persona 4 Arena.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    It is true that Sony's E3 conference could just be re-hashing the games they already revealed during their PS4 presentation. They're all set as launch games after all, right? I could see Second Son being the game they do a live stage demo of, either that or Killzone (please lord no Killzone; I don't want another FPS-heavy E3).

The way they can keep the interest gained from their first conference is continuing to show off games that won't be ready for another year or two. Even if FFXV or TLG gets revealed, it's highly unlikely either will be ready this year. Having a mix of stuff they'll have ready for launch and stuff to look forward to in the next year would be ideal.

As for Xbox One, it entirely depends what their launch lineup is going to be. So far it looks like sports titles and ports (Arkham Origins, Thief 4, Watch Dogs, etc). Maybe they'll have some new exclusive IPs or sequels to show off, but it's highly unlikely they'll be ready for launch. In that case they can fulfill one of the two conditions for Sony's conference.
    Sony: The potential for a next gen system with Naughty Dog, more robust indie support, and less awful DRM shenanigans puts the PS4 miles ahead of the Xbone to me, but part of me wonders if I really need a next gen console at all, what with Steam's big picture mode and their likely avoidance of digital prices competitive with Steam sales.

The one way they can sell me on either system is the guarantee that their games will be 1:1 as good looking as their PC counterparts on max settings.

For someone like me who has a decent PC rig that can't always crank every new game to max settings, being able to get that same visual performance on a console without worrying about middling framerate, stuttering and other potential PC problems, while also offering a compelling amount of social features (the ones that matter, at least, namely saving replays and live recordings), would entice me to spend $4-$500 on a new system instead of $1000+ on upgrading my PC to get the same experience.

Until someone like Crytek cranks out a new monster PC game that will take years to run perfectly, there's no reason Sony and MS's new machines can't have their games look equal to their PC versions.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    I guess hoping for an Advance Wars 3DS from Nintendo is plain wishful thinking, right?

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    I guess hoping for an Advance Wars 3DS from Nintendo is plain wishful thinking, right?

I want a console Fire Emblem game.

Like, a whole Wii U game where the CG cutscenes from Awakening are real-time cutscenes.

And is also a sequel, because the characters were rad.
    Forget Samus, just make Lucina the new female icon for Nintendo.

Lucina is rad.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I predict that I might start laughing in the middle of the Microsoft booth if one of their reps starts spouting buzz words at me and trying to tell me why all the bad things are actually good things while I'm trying out the One demo station.

Though honestly, I'm looking forward to this E3, big boys showing off new systems, always makes for fun.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'll never stop laughing at this strip:

mKJb27f.jpg

If I ever get an Xbox One and "Joseph Sports" isn't taken, I'm making that my profile name.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I understand that gamers don't like xboxone, but i think that MS will do good with it. It is not for me, I don't have cable tv. So all those features mean nothing to me. I agree with someone who said they will make a boat load of money, as there are a lot of non gamers who probably want what they offer.

I'm going to be a steam person now. All ready plays worms on my tv, that is fun stuff. I hope valve has some good things, but don't know.

I can see sony taking the gaming stage. As I said above, I think MS will do ok, but it is not the game crowd they are aiming at now. It is the casual gamer, and connected living room crowd. That is why I think Sony will take the game stage, regardless of what MS brings.

I don't think EA will mention anything SimCity DLC, that hurts to much, but I could see them launching Sims 4. 3 has been out for a while. And my girl wanted it and just bought it. So I know it will be out datted soon. :)

Nintendo, don't know don't care. They have solid IP's, and do what they do. I don't use them anymore.

Someone mentioned Castlevania, I would love that. Would love a doom 4, even though I probably can't afford all the games I want. Or have time. Oh steam, why do you do what you do?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Sony: I'm very interested in the indie developer stuff, but I don't know if we will see much of that, so i'll just be happy with some awesome games. Unless Square announces a FF7 HD Remaster to pull their asses out of financial trouble.... which won't ever happen, I'm gonna pretty much just expecting the normal with some nice details on the new features of the PS4.

Indie games are an area where Sony are making Microsoft look like a joke and they were widely praised for The Witness' appearance at their unveil, so I'd say an indie presence is a dead cert.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

Indie games are an area where Sony are making Microsoft look like a joke and they were widely praised for The Witness' appearance at their unveil, so I'd say an indie presence is a dead cert.

Yeah, the games will be fine I am sure, but i'm mostly interested in the framework they have setup. They pushed on it a bit in their 2 hour presser, and it peeked my interest. As a wannabe developer I am always interested to see what types of doors companies open for indie developers.

I don't expect anything from Microsoft. With XNA dead and no mention at all in the presser, I'm not expecting them to suddenly surprise everyone with a new framework/platform for getting indie games on live.

Nitnendo is working with Unity, and they are also working on a web framework, so I am interested to see how accessible that is. A lot of indie groups are going mobile due to the ease of access, but expanding console support for indie developers would tickle my fancy.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I would be real surprised to see any Indie devs work with MS after having some of the biggest Indie names slam them across the Internet.

It remains to be seen how much of an effect the Indie support will have for Sony, but between that and JRPGs you're already looking at two possible exclusive genres for that system.

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular

mKJb27f.jpg

If I ever get an Xbox One and "Joseph Sports" isn't taken, I'm making that my profile name.

Mike and Jerry could probably swap out a few words from the second and third panels and re-run this for 2013.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    From Sony, I'm expecting (but not wanting) them to reveal their version of drm or whatever antiused game scheme they have. I would be pleasantly suprised if there was none. Really don't know about always online from Sony, but that might happen too.

Microsoft: man I cannot wait to see how they show the Kinect into Halo 5. You know its going to happen.

Activision: I really want some solid news on Ghosts. Especially the multiplayer, but will settle for story/setting info.

I will instead get a 10minute gameplay demo with a lot of scripted sequences to show off shiny new graphics.

• Options
    I will instead get a 10minute gameplay demo with a lot of scripted sequences to show off shiny new graphics.
    Did you see the footage from the Xbone event? I wouldn't hold my breath for shiny new graphics from COD:G either.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Given all we know of the Xbox One I'm all but guaranteed to not get one but it'll be interesting to see if they flub it up completely or turn around public perception. They're probably banking on their 15 games that are coming up but considering my interests and the current trajectory of games what are on Xbox they won't make me want it. I guess they could announce Nuts and Bolts 2? Microsoft potentially has the most interesting conference because it could turn the tides or injure them going into their launch.

PS4 might be the console that I'll get some years down the road and I feel like, in some weird way, my moderate interest in the platform makes me way less interested in what they'll have to say. Like, sure, it'll probably be fine and I might get one when it's nearing the end of its life so I don't really care all that much right now.

Most interested in Nintendo because I have a Wii U and 3DS. Blah blah they'll show everything you expect but it'll still get me hyped. I'm hoping new 3D Mario is more exploratory like 64 or Sunshine or at least is less abstract than the Galaxy games or even 3D Land. Not to say that those games weren't fantastic. Or even better the new Mario is another shift in what 3D Mario is. Super excited for Smash Bros. and that's probably the only E3 demo that could get me to a Best Buy because I love the dumb and incredibly detailed fan service that Smash Bros. provides. I feel like they have to have a curveball somewhere, a "one more thing", like the first Brawl trailer which was insane when it happened and I'm pretty sure it'll be whatever Retro's working on. Like, after the first day everyone will be asking "where's Retro?" and then bam open world Star Fox full game on the eShop right now.

I'm excited to see what Konami will screw up this time, last year was the "livestream" that five minutes in everyone realized it was all prerecorded and they could skip through it right? I want a 2D Castlevania with proper sprites but I'm expecting that any Castlevania will be the new Lords of Shadow game and otherwise it'll be all MGS all the time.

I want Persona 5 but I don't want to buy a PS3 so I hope they release a version on the 360 (That's reasonable because Catherine sold alright on it right? please?) or Wii U would be even better for me and probably only me so I'm not holding my breath. What I'm saying is I'll be buying a PS3 sometime next year. Hopefully by then they'll be cheap.

I can't say I'm looking to see anything else specifically. I just want the unknowns because those are exciting even if I don't want to pay money for it.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    My PS3 is straight-up broken beyond reasonable repair (fried motherboard on an imported unit - tried new power supply and reflow without success), so I'm going into this E3 feeling like for the first time ever I'm sans fanboy allegiances and ready to be wowed and convinced. I have a 3DS and Vita, both of which I'm enjoying tremendously - will Sony show enough promise to make me a PS4 launch day adopter? Can Nintendo drop enough megatons that I actually shell out for a Wii U? Will I just get another PS3 and ride out the end of this generation? So much at stake.

Agree with the above posters that Sony's in the best position, favor-wise, heading into the conference. Microsoft are back on their heels a bit, but I think they'll keep their focus on games. I worry that Sony may muddle their message - Wonderbook springs to mind - and I'm curious how they'll handle pushing the transition from PS3 (Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Beyond: Two Souls, FFXIV) to PS4; will any titles be pushed back or ported? Nintendo has the most to gain, but I kind of feel that if they had huge out-of-left-field announcements to make, they wouldn't have foregone the traditional conference. The new SSB will need to make a huge impression, as will a Wii U Zelda tease. Regardless of what else happens, those two titles will determine whether Nintendo's E3 was a success or a failure.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Just going by pure "dream" prediction here, but if they really did announce Zelda Wii U this conference, and maybe included an exclusive trailer or even a playable demo with Wind Waker HD...

Well, that would be mighty fine.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I would be real surprised to see any Indie devs work with MS after having some of the biggest Indie names slam them across the Internet.

It remains to be seen how much of an effect the Indie support will have for Sony, but between that and JRPGs you're already looking at two possible exclusive genres for that system.

There are a couple of indies out there defending Microsoft but then they're the ones that have actual publishing deals with them, so of course they're not going to complain.

Edit: Oh god, Microsoft are going to have a 15 minute CoD demo like they do every year, aren't they? That'll sure put me to sleep.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Valve is a tough one to pin down. I feel like they haven't released anything big in a long time, but I guess they've been working lots of small stuff like CS:GO, DOTA 2, and crazy Steam improvements; that has to take up a decent amount of resources I guess, but man...here's hoping for Half Life 3/new story-focused IP from them soon.

Turns out Valve won't even be at E3 this year so there goes that. Someone wake me when its time for E3 2014.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013

mKJb27f.jpg

Mike and Jerry could probably swap out a few words from the second and third panels and re-run this for 2013.

Except that Sony don't really seem to care so much about the move and focused mostly on games just like Nintendo.

I am really curious to see Microsofts presentation, mostly because it should either be face blowingly fantastic to override all their bad press or it will plunge them straight into the abyss of absolute "Third console curse" doom. I can't wait for it and I know what side I am betting on! But honestly there is no way to lose here, especially if it actually ends up being good (which means lots of great awesome looking games).

Sony I think might be very boring, with mostly the same stuff they showed before and I only really expect them to wheel out what the actual console looks like. It will be a black (or maybe white) box. WHEEE. The problem Sony has is having the general nerdrage/gamer opinion behind them, which means they might not try as hard and therefore get complacent.

Nintendo have pretty much lost me already unless Sony have an equal disaster to Microsoft. Curious to see if they will show any Bayonetta 2 or more Wonderful 101 though.

Keen to see Ubisofts presentation, in fact excited for it as opposed to most of the others as Ubisoft seem keen to kick off new IP. We'll probably get yet another bloody demo of Rayman in there as well, just because. Almost feel like I have played all of Rayman Legends before the game has come out at this point.

Also excited to see what Capcom presents, hopefully some more Deep Down and whatever else they have.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

Microsoft makes Visual Studio. They want all those developers using it so they are gonna do all they can to get them back.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm curious to see what comes out as confirmed/not confirmed for both consoles. I wonder if Sony can keep the positive thing they've got going right now, and if MS will be able to turn it around as far as public perception is going right now. We could see a pretty crazy flip or we could see not much change, either way I think we are going to hear about a ton of games that have been under wraps from both side. This fight is only going to get crazier and crazier the closer we get to launch.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Microsoft: They're either going to try and either massage the messages from their conference better, gloss over it with pure games talk or go full "Fuck nice things" mode and give everyone a bitter pill to swallow. I'd honestly be surprised if they go the entire thing without talking about TV or ESPN. There's a lack of relateable "Games people" in the list of Microsoft Talking Heads and their conference really reflected that. It makes me really miss people like J.Allard and hell, even Peter Moore.

Sony: They've done good so far by effectively keeping their trap shut and keeping the message focused on games, game culture and game development. Microsoft effectively "blinking first" on a couple of fronts has given them a lot of wiggle room to work a message about what their console does and does not do. They'd have to try really hard to fuck up what's essentially a gimme but we'll see.

Nintendo: All they have to show is their staples and not do anything incredibly goofy and they're golden. As long as Mario/Zelda/Smash is shown they could literally spend the rest of their time doing whatever the hell else.

Square: I'd like for Square-Enix to go one year without embarrassing themselves horribly. For all the shit I give that company nowadays I still have a soft spot for them hardcoded into my nerd DNA. I expect some FFXIV 2.0 stuff, Kingdom Hearts announcement, And as a longshot, Final Fantasy versus XIII rebranded as Final Fantasy XV for PS4 in an effort to move it as far away from Fabula Novus Crystallis as possible and finally close the cover on that book of misery. I also expect some announcements from their western arms in the form of sequels despite throwing them under the bus earlier this year.

Konami: If it ain't Castlevania or Metal Gear related don't expect it. I'd be surprised if they talked about anything else

Ubisoft: I expect Asscreed and Splinter Cell talk mixed with back-handed comments about what giant thieves gamers all are. Something Rayman related and as a surprise near the end a teaser for the new BLood Dragon game.

Electronic Arts: Sports because bro-dollar too stronk. I expect real details on Dragon Age 3 and whatever new Mass Effect game they're cooking up. Battlefield something something. New way to play something something before some Microsoft mouthpiece in a very well-tailored person suit comes out to talk about their partnership.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options

Microsoft makes Visual Studio. They want all those developers using it so they are gonna do all they can to get them back.

Huh? Indie developers are absolutely nothing to Visual Studio as a whole.

And besides, by developing for the PS4, indie developers are already using Visual Studio because that's what Sony supports.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Shit, you can cop a download of Visual Studio Express, which does most of what you need it to do, for free.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Beezel wrote: »
    Kingdom Hearts announcement

I would have said "no chance", but if by some miracle Versus is close to done (name change or not), then maybe there's a chance at this.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I keep hearing it, but I think people are getting it wrong. MS public opinion isn't same as MS Gamers opinion. I could be wrong, but I think Gamers have a very bad opinion. And public as a whole doesn't know any better.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what Nintendo will do. Yes, I expect them to drop the usual Mario Kart and Smash Brothers, but... Well, Nintendo has dropped a few big surprises the past year (Bayonetta 2, X, and, to a much lesser extent, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem).

So I can't help but hope Nintendo has one more surprise up their sleeves. Or just announce that Retro is working on a new Metroid game. That'd be cool too.

This discussion has been closed.