As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Technomancer Press Open Duel 2007

124»

• Options
    GodOfCheeseGodOfCheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wining this tournament isn't going to make you rich, famous or get you laid.

Speak for yourself! I must answer to the GoddessOfCheese for my exploits. I dare not appear less-cheesy before her. If I return home with a story of how TimestopMan finally prevailed over me after both these years, I may be sleeping on the couch. Think of the reputation, man! ;-)

But seriously, I do get pumped about the duels. Ask any of the poor bastards who hangs out with me. I'm sure they'll all be glad when it's over and I can go back to talking about "normal" things.

For example, the other night over dinner, I was struck by a (false) epiphany regarding a cheesy use of feint. "Wait!" I cried out suddenly.

"What?" asked the GoddessOfCheese. "Is one of the children choking?" Then she spotted me leafing through the Complete Warrior. "Oh," she said grouchily, returning to her fettucini.

GodOfCheese on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text <3 Moe
    Behold the power of cheese.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GodOfCheeseGodOfCheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bah. You were right. For the record, it did not get me laid. However, since I had not slept in somewhere in the vicinity of 40 hours at that point, that's probably for the best.

Regardless, the D&D Duels this year rawked. Thank you Chris for excellent judging and timely rulings.

I must apologize to Andrew the Raptorian for my obscene cheese in kicking him off the plane during the semifinal and again for missing him in the Sunday game. Dude: I'm looking forward to the rematch!

I'll be posting my character from this year in a separate thread, as promised. I challenge the rest of you to post your own so we can compare notes!

GodOfCheese on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text <3 Moe
    Behold the power of cheese.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChrisDaJudgeChrisDaJudge Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I want to thank all of this year's competitors, both on Saturday and on Sunday, for the awesome attitude and the great play. I saw a group of great players who really went out of their way to play fair and treat each of their opponents as a friend. I know that not every call I made that day was popular but all of the players involved were mature and professional. I could not have asked for a better group of players. It was a tremendous honor to work with each of you.

Also, many people asked me for copies of the scenarios. I promise that I have not forgotten you and will get those out to you as soon as I get a free moment.

Cheers,
    Chris

Bah. You were right. For the record, it did not get me laid. However, since I had not slept in somewhere in the vicinity of 40 hours at that point, that's probably for the best.

Regardless, the D&D Duels this year rawked. Thank you Chris for excellent judging and timely rulings.

I must apologize to Andrew the Raptorian for my obscene cheese in kicking him off the plane during the semifinal and again for missing him in the Sunday game. Dude: I'm looking forward to the rematch!

I'll be posting my character from this year in a separate thread, as promised. I challenge the rest of you to post your own so we can compare notes!

ChrisDaJudge on
    Espada Per Dua, Cappucino Per Uno
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Aww man there was another one on Sunday?

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    e_clipse_clips Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Awww wish I would have known there was a second duel on sunday... I would have done much better I think. anti magicknocked me out second round.... if I would have been thinking clearly it never would have happened. I made the mistake of not standing next to him when my round was over and wasnt close enough to him when he pulled the scroll out and cast it (couldnt cast defensively next to me if you were a spell caster) doubt he would have pulled the spell off when my AoO would have done 5d6+5 :P If there is a place to post character sheets so everyone can see what people had for ideas I'll post mine. Looking forward to pax08

e_clips on
    Baron+Etori.png
  • Options
    Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sorry, gang...we had space unexpectedly come open and it was an impromptu thing. We didn't have a way to advertise it very well...and as a result it was a small group.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    An idea for next year's duel:
    We should do a team vs. team duel, and using the DnD 4e e-tools, handle all of the preliminaries online, so that all that is left is the finals (or maybe the semifinals as well, if there is a large enough time slot). A lot of people expressed interest in a team duel on this thread, and the main contention was the time factor; with the release of the online content for 4e, we can (assuming WotC doesn't flake) easily handle that before the con.

As far as the duel itself goes, it was fun, but gawd, it was rough. I was so mentally frazzled at the end of it that I had to spend a while just to wind down. I don't think I will be playing again next year, though I might be available to judge.

Also, sorry I didn't get back to help with the Sunday tourney; we ended up going down to check out the Seattle Underground, which I recommend to everyone who goes to Seattle. It's a good tour, and especially interesting to those of us that play Shadowrun. :)

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
This discussion has been closed.