As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Search result sorting is weird

SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch*Registered User regular
I can't figure out the way that the forums are sorting search results now. It seems to maybe be prioritizing mentions of the word in the OP, but other than that, there seems to be no easily categorized sorting, especially not chronological.

For example, looking up the discussion in the GnT steam thread talking about a lunar lander game gives 7 results from around 2008 before even mentioning it. And ego searching my name results in mostly games I played in CF where the players were listed in the OP, and where I was mentioned for the longest time in the copy and pasted GnT's ME thread OP, but even then the times for those aren't consistent: the first result is from a game in 2012, and then the mass effect threads go march, april, January!, feburary, june 2012, etc. And it didn't actually display any of the posts I was looking for, where I was trying to figure out which steam games I gave away to see which ones I used.

Also, while using big avatars may or may not be prettier, it does make it harder to sort through the search results quickly compared the old way of having the avatars the same size as for thread listings. And not just because it has significantly fewer results per page.

And the number of returned results seems really inconsistent. Before these changes, it always topped off at 2 pages of results. Searching for my name resulted in 6 pages, 'lunar' was 7 pages, and searching for 'search' had at least 10 pages before I got bored clicking next

steam_sig.png

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Spoit wrote: »
    I can't figure out the way that the forums are sorting search results now. It seems to maybe be prioritizing mentions of the word in the OP, but other than that, there seems to be no easily categorized sorting, especially not chronological.
    Advanced Search is currently in a phased deployment. We turned on the new indexes over the weekend (hence the slowness due to initial index priming) and we'll be deploying the UI and new search model later in the week.
    For example, looking up the discussion in the GnT steam thread talking about a lunar lander game gives 7 results from around 2008 before even mentioning it. And ego searching my name results in mostly games I played in CF where the players were listed in the OP, and where I was mentioned for the longest time in the copy and pasted GnT's ME thread OP, but even then the times for those aren't consistent: the first result is from a game in 2012, and then the mass effect threads go march, april, January!, feburary, june 2012, etc. And it didn't actually display any of the posts I was looking for, where I was trying to figure out which steam games I gave away to see which ones I used.

Also, while using big avatars may or may not be prettier, it does make it harder to sort through the search results quickly compared the old way of having the avatars the same size as for thread listings. And not just because it has significantly fewer results per page.
    I think the output will be tweaked in the coming weeks as we get more widespread feedback. I know that the output right now feels much less useful than before, primarily because its queried by the old model.
    And the number of returned results seems really inconsistent. Before these changes, it always topped off at 2 pages of results. Searching for my name resulted in 6 pages, 'lunar' was 7 pages, and searching for 'search' had at least 10 pages before I got bored clicking next
    Its almost like different search terms generate different numbers of matches. As if not every search term exists the same number of times in the data. <3

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Well, like I said, it seemed to hit the 6 page cap before finding any of the results I was actually looking for, giving results from years ago instead

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    As it is now, the search is basically useless.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Advanced Search is currently in a phased deployment. We turned on the new indexes over the weekend (hence the slowness due to initial index priming) and we'll be deploying the UI and new search model later in the week.

I think the output will be tweaked in the coming weeks as we get more widespread feedback. I know that the output right now feels much less useful than before, primarily because its queried by the old model.
    Its almost like different search terms generate different numbers of matches. As if not every search term exists the same number of times in the data. <3

Advanced Search is gonna be dead sexy.

Thanks for the feature upgrade, Icy.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

It's been basically useless since we switched to Vanilla. Advanced search sounds like a sweet improvement, looking forward to it and thanks to Icy.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

It's been basically useless since we switched to Vanilla. Advanced search sounds like a sweet improvement, looking forward to it and thanks to Icy.

It was pretty good at egosearching, which is mostly what I used it for.

Though egosearching is kind of a hack in of itself. I wonder if a more dedicated function would be better, but egosearching is already really fast and does exactly what it needs to do.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It was great at finding recent posts, as long as it was within the last 2 pages. Which varied from hours to weeks depending on the term.

But yeah, advanced search does look like it will answer most of the issues (though not the questions I asked in that thread :P)

steam_sig.png